Author Topic: Lads, Trying to Conceive is a Ballache!  (Read 10841 times)

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
Re: Lads, Trying to Conceive is a Ballache!
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2022, 12:40:32 am »
So you didn't spend a lot of time analyzing proper thread placement, just sort of... shot your wad?
No, I just shoved it in without giving it much thought. I assumed it was that easy.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2022, 01:32:41 am »
No, I just shoved it in without giving it much thought. I assumed it was that easy.

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2022, 09:50:01 pm »
;D

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2022, 09:52:16 am »
So, we have had a call today regarding our IVF. We are going to sign all the forms in 5/6 weeks with treatment starting on the next cycle.

Its all becoming real now and obviously we're a bit emosh this morning.

We have just come back from a very luxurious 3 week holiday where we have drank and smoked a fair bit. Basically, two very large overseas weddings. We only socially smoke.

I have decided to go completely teetotal until the treatment to give my guys the best chance, as that's where the main issue is.

Anyone else that has had IVF, are there any lifestyle tips you may be able to suggest?

Thanks
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2022, 10:00:50 am »
Not from me mate, as I’m still a few years off from trying (barring accidents!) but a friend of mine’s partner is about a week from her due date when they were initially told his sperm may be too immobile to be viable.

Giving up drink was the big one, but it motivated him to lose weight which the Dr said has helped his overall vitality tremendously. Obviously you might not need to lose any, but he went from 15 stone at 5,10 to about 13 stone and he looks better, looks healthier and has kept himself trim whilst his partner has been pregnant.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2022, 10:04:08 pm »
Thanks to both above posters. Will have a read through the insulin link you sent.

I think we are both in decent enough shape. I'm 5'11 and weigh 10st,10.

However we both like to over indulge. Heading to the local bars is more likely than to go for a run

However I'm going to give up alcohol and socially smoking until the treatment is done. Both shouldn't be a problem at all. I stopped being addicted to cigarettes a long time ago, and there's really good non alcoholic options out there.

It seems that exercise is the key to most things health related, with fertility being no different.

I've been cycling everyday, but it's probably doing my balls more damage :lmao
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:06:22 pm by Fabulous_aurelio »
"Salahs in here......"

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2022, 10:24:07 pm »
hey Fab,

get off the bike (big shorts, loose undies) let those balls relax  ;D

Stress is a big thing here, great doing what you already doing, make sure you keep everything happy. Eliminate all stress, well as much as you can, and make time for sex. The kind of sex you were having before you started thinking of kids. Loads of hugs etc...

My wife was really bitter at the start, everyone's pregnant but me kind of stuff, so we discussed adopting etc... Which helped us both take the focus off the treatment.

I also dropped some weight, stopped other silly stuff, but I was really positive, going into it. Not so positive once I have them  :lmao

Either way best of luck mate  :)

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2022, 11:17:38 am »
Thanks for the tips all!

Just had the phone call this morning that we sign all the docs for the IVF on the 31st of this month. Sooner than we thought. The wife is now, understandably anxious.

Both excited though 😊
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2022, 06:08:46 am »
The very best of luck to you both mate.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2022, 08:04:27 am »
Good luck!

Mrs starts her medication soon and then things accelerate pretty quickly after that.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #90 on: October 8, 2022, 12:18:57 pm »
So update.
Mrs and I have been going through the IVF process the past month. Shes has been self injecting the past week and a half. We had a scan yesterday to check on her ovaries. We had another one this morning with a plan to go in to hospital on Monday for egg collection. At todays scan were told that there were only 2 suitable eggs. They would usually look for 10.

We were given a couple of options. 1) Go ahead with collection on Monday or 2) stop the process and start again (maybe next month) with a higher drug dosage.

We have decided to go with the latter as we only get one shot on the NHS for egg collection. My wifes cycle and body might not be ready for November, and as there are a few Christmas shuts down at the hospital and clinic, we could be looking after December.

However we are thinking positively and let's hope that with a higher dosage, we can produce more eggs.

There is also the chance that we could naturally get pregnant between now and the time we start treatment again due to the two eggs that the mrs currently has.

We are having another scan on Monday to see if the nurses can provide a drug to trigger the release of those eggs. However they won't do it if there are are more than 2 eggs present as that could result in multiple pregnancy.

All a bit of a mind fuck this stuff ay!? Hope you other lads going through it are all okay
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 8, 2022, 01:42:46 pm »
You sure about that? When Mrs had her scan it was about follicles. They didn't tell us viable eggs until after the collection and the following day?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #92 on: October 8, 2022, 06:28:00 pm »
You sure about that? When Mrs had her scan it was about follicles. They didn't tell us viable eggs until after the collection and the following day?

You are right. Replace the word egg with follicles. She had two good sized follicles, one medium one.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 8, 2022, 10:34:25 pm »
You are right. Replace the word egg with follicles. She had two good sized follicles, one medium one.
Ah no worries. I did think you meant that.

Since she started medication they checked her once before date of collection? Mrs had two scans and amended her dosage accordingly before the day of collection.

Good luck for Monday.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #94 on: October 8, 2022, 11:09:37 pm »
Yesterday was day 9 of injections and we had a scan. They told us to come back today and have another scan. This time there were two people looking. One seemed more senior than the other and that's when they gave us the options.

Cheers mate. Wife's understandably glum but I'm feeling more positive. Obviously gutted we have to wait a while to start again, but trying to be stronger for her.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 9, 2022, 03:46:32 pm »
Mrs started with the one injection and by day 3 iirc it was two different a day so agree with sentiment that it's way tougher for Mrs than ourselves.

We started with NHS and whilst no issue with them, found it a slower process which was frustrating.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2023, 10:18:04 am »
How are those in this thread getting on?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:50 am »
How are those in this thread getting on?
We ended up stopping our first go as the Mrs only produced 2 fully formed follicles and 2 under developed ones. The consultant suggested we stop the treatment, give ourselves a month or so to reset and then go back again, but this time with a higher dosage of drugs, using the long protocol method.

They think this way she will produce more follicles. If not, we will go for egg collection with what we have got.

We chose to start again next month as we wanted to enjoy Christmas and fully indulge ourselves! We've given ourselves a month to reset, quit the alcohol and get back in the gym.

Fingers crossed we have a bit more luck this time.

How are you getting on?
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2023, 10:42:35 am »
We ended up stopping our first go as the Mrs only produced 2 fully formed follicles and 2 under developed ones. The consultant suggested we stop the treatment, give ourselves a month or so to reset and then go back again, but this time with a higher dosage of drugs, using the long protocol method.

They think this way she will produce more follicles. If not, we will go for egg collection with what we have got.

We chose to start again next month as we wanted to enjoy Christmas and fully indulge ourselves! We've given ourselves a month to reset, quit the alcohol and get back in the gym.

Fingers crossed we have a bit more luck this time.

How are you getting on?
Good luck with it :) Fingers crossed! Has your Mrs tried fertility acupuncture?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2023, 10:50:58 am »
Good luck with it :) Fingers crossed! Has your Mrs tried fertility acupuncture?

No...but go on!?

We were told about a few extra treatments we could paid for to help, but decided against it the first time.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2023, 10:55:42 am »
No...but go on!?

We were told about a few extra treatments we could paid for to help, but decided against it the first time.
Our consultant wasn't overly interested by it ;D but helped Mrs from mental point of view and calmed her down. So didn't see harm in it.

Not sure where you are based but you can find it nationally.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2023, 11:22:33 am »
We're in Yorkshire. Appreciate it, I'll float the idea by the Mrs.

How did you guys get on with yours? I beleive you were someway ahead of us in the process?
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #102 on: March 1, 2023, 08:51:18 am »
Next week should be our egg collection. Well, we've been told it will be. We have our scan on Friday and fingers crossed there are a good number of follicles there.

This is our 2nd and final shot on the NHS so it's anxious times in our house. Also the wife's hormones are through the roof. Anyone that's gone through this will most likely know how tough a stage this is.

Obviously this is quite a public place to talk about this, but I don't know another couple that have been through it, so it's a good outlet. I've been listening to podcasts etc to help, the wife has done the same and she has colleagues that have done IVF that she chats with.

I'll throw it out there, if anyone's going through, or plans to go through this process and wants to talk, private message me, I'll happily listen.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #103 on: March 2, 2023, 04:31:00 pm »
Good luck, hope it works out for you both.

Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 2, 2023, 10:54:01 pm »
Next week should be our egg collection. Well, we've been told it will be. We have our scan on Friday and fingers crossed there are a good number of follicles there.

This is our 2nd and final shot on the NHS so it's anxious times in our house. Also the wife's hormones are through the roof. Anyone that's gone through this will most likely know how tough a stage this is.

Obviously this is quite a public place to talk about this, but I don't know another couple that have been through it, so it's a good outlet. I've been listening to podcasts etc to help, the wife has done the same and she has colleagues that have done IVF that she chats with.

I'll throw it out there, if anyone's going through, or plans to go through this process and wants to talk, private message me, I'll happily listen.

Good luck Fab.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #105 on: March 3, 2023, 03:18:23 pm »
Cheers guys. A good result today. 10 follicles compared to just the 2 last time around. Another scan tomorrow morning to determine which day is best for retrieval.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 3, 2023, 03:22:02 pm »
Cheers guys. A good result today. 10 follicles compared to just the 2 last time around. Another scan tomorrow morning to determine which day is best for retrieval.
good luck mate.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 3, 2023, 07:15:13 pm »
Great news. Always available for PM should you need to chat mate.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 4, 2023, 09:56:40 pm »
Good luck!!! :)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #109 on: March 5, 2023, 02:01:00 am »
Best of luck mate!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 5, 2023, 04:12:12 pm »
Best of luck with it mate, can only imagine the emotions you'll both be going through right now

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #111 on: March 6, 2023, 09:32:11 am »
Cheers all. Massively appreciated.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 6, 2023, 10:57:58 am »
Cheers all. Massively appreciated.
Things going ok?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #113 on: March 7, 2023, 09:17:09 am »
Things going ok?
It's egg retrieval day. The wife is in the theatre and I'm waiting to be called in to do the deed! Very peculiar feeling.
We've been told we will find out how many eggs were collected today. Tomorrow we will be told how many (if any) were fertilised.

Intense!
"Salahs in here......"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 7, 2023, 09:04:14 pm »
It's egg retrieval day. The wife is in the theatre and I'm waiting to be called in to do the deed! Very peculiar feeling.
We've been told we will find out how many eggs were collected today. Tomorrow we will be told how many (if any) were fertilised.

Intense!
What did you have to do? ;D

Fingers crossed for you both. Tomorrow will be so important.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #115 on: March 7, 2023, 10:28:28 pm »
Fab, best of luck to you both. Been an interesting read on your journey and the help and support you have given others. Exciting times

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2023, 12:21:12 pm »
Thanks all for the messages. It's been a weird week and having to explain it all to family etc had been taxing!

We retrieved 3 out of a potential 7 eggs which we were gutted about. That day was a bit rough. But they were still eggs, and some people unfortunately don't even make it to that stage.

The next day (Wednesday) we found out that all three had fertilised which really made us feel a lot more positive.

Tomorrow morning we find out if any of them have made it to day 5. If so, embryo transfer is 10.45am.

For those unfamiliar with IVF, once the egg is fertilised, they go into incubation and the doctors don't check them for 5 days as they don't want to disturb the environment. A slow anxious 5 days.

Again, if anyone is reading and is going through the process, or think they might be, drop me a message if you like.

Personally I feel loads better putting it out there and talking about it. I appreciate not everyone is the same. I think my brother in law and his wife are about to embark on the IVF journey too.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2023, 12:27:28 pm »
It's a tough journey mate and not one for the fainthearted as it's a stressful and brutal process. 

I've not experienced it myself but have clients going through it only theirs is totally different circumstances as he had testicular cancer in his early 20s and had sperm frozen prior to surgery.

Wishing you both all the very best luck, wishes and success 👍

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2023, 03:26:13 pm »
Good luck Fab. Our embryo transfer was done on day 3. Know how important next few days are. Wish you both luck!

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2023, 08:36:40 pm »
Good luck Fab. Our embryo transfer was done on day 3. Know how important next few days are. Wish you both luck!
Oh wow. Did you pay to put cameras in to monitor them? Kind of wish we had done that.

Edit: my wife's just told me each clinic does it differently. Some docs check on day 3.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:43:23 pm by Fabulous_aurelio »
"Salahs in here......"