Author Topic: Boxing - Train With Mirra  (Read 10680 times)

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing - Train With Mirra
« Reply #40 on: November 6, 2013, 02:03:28 pm »
When you start training, do you spar with anyone or people of your size? I'm basically wondering how seriously weight categories are taken at amateur level if you just want to train and maybe participate in a few amateur fights? If the weight chart I found online is correct, I think I'd be a super welterweight. I'd quite like to test myself and see if I've got any aptitude/talent for it and any sort of hand-speed or punch power. It's not the sort of thing you can quantify when you've only ever fought in petty scraps on a night out.
Not sure if you were asking me mate? but no I don't do any sparring at all. If I do get in the ring, it's only body shots we practise to avoid either of us damaging ourselves if we take big head shots. As for weight category, I'm probably a super heavyweight haha, got a massive weight and height advantage over all my mates which is why I'm going more for speed when training. I'm really slow throwing certain shots (left hook bosy, right uppercut and right jab) almost Valuev-like

I think yeah it would be better to spar with your own weight class but if you're just doing it on a casual basis, practising and improving your skills then wouldn't say it matters at all. Guys like Andre Ward and Floyd Mayweather often spar 10 rounds non-stop with guys two or three weight classes above, sometimes even heavyweight. But it all depends on how well you consider yourself to be as a boxer and if you can hold your ground in that ring.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2013, 02:14:37 pm by Joey C »

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #41 on: November 6, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
Cheers Joey. I've no idea how I'd hold my ground. I consider myself to be pretty quick and not weak as such, but you never really know within a boxing context until you've tried. I reckon, stature wise, fighting on the inside would suit me more. I'm 5'10 but I don't exactly have a long reach and I wouldn't say I'm physically big enough to impose myself on the ring and restrict the space. Movement's my friend!

I've no idea how I'd do, I just really want to give it a go. Currently searching for gyms that look like they'd suit me and on days I'm available. Possibly changing jobs and area though so it's a bit up in the air. I'm not sure my few stupid drunken street brawls will have taught me anything that will help in the ring, but we'll see.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 6, 2013, 11:13:12 pm »
Cheers Bobby, top post and very helpful. Definitely going to get started. I want to instill the discipline and learn the sport.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #43 on: November 7, 2013, 08:14:51 am »
I only saw this thread by chance, I started on Monday!

I've a good 3 stone to lose but I loved it, couldn't even walk properly going to the session last night but they said that was the hardest one to do as most people spew it after the first session as it's so hard and they're so sore

There is never a point during the hour where there is more than 15 seconds max break so it's a graft, mixture of road running, bag work and core / arm circuit work

I'm not supple at all, I've not trained at all for a year and I can't even remember how many operations I've had on my ankle, knee, shoulder, replaced disks in my neck and back along with arthritis due to a
all that so it'll be a huge fucking effort but....

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #44 on: November 7, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
Are you lot in the Liverpool area? What gyms are you going to?

I'm looking to get back into boxing as I've not been since I moved jobs in May. (The gym I used to go to was right near my old work in Warrington)

Anyone know a good boxing gym in Liverpool? Loads of places seem to be MMA and all that shit which I'm not interested in at all.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 7, 2013, 11:38:37 pm »
Anyone know a good boxing gym in Liverpool? Loads of places seem to be MMA and all that shit which I'm not interested in at all.
I'm having similar trouble mate. Done a fair old search into it, and everything seems to come up as Thai-Kick Boxing or MMA.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 12:02:25 pm »
Well just invested in a 7ft punching bag frame, 5ft heavy bag, double bag and a speed bag. WBC/WBO Heavyweight Championship, here I come! :D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:17 pm »
Does boxercise count? I am thinking of signing up for the class....

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 01:15:27 pm »
I went to a 4 sessions a few months back...it damn near killed me. 9/10 stone lads skipping about all over the place, jabbing me in the ribs when I stopped for a breather...knocked it on the head as I picked up a few niggles (probably due to fitness and flexibility more than anything) but fully intend to go back when I've regained a bit more fitness....

May try again sooner but think the new year might be a good shout to restart :wave
Does boxercise count? I am thinking of signing up for the class....
Fanny ;D ;D ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2014, 11:57:35 pm »
I'm in training in a boxing gym about 3 times per week. Just over an hour at a time. Drills, bag work, rope, sparring, leg work then stomach all in that order. I've never sweated as much doing it and I've done all sorts of training. In between days, I'll do some drills with weights and the speed rope out the back yard, and some days just strength training with a barbell and a body weight gym I have. I've been doing that for over a year now and have added the boxing in recently in the past 4 months or so. I'm fairly fancy with the rope now too. Love it.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2016, 09:11:04 pm »
I bought a punchbag for Xmas to hang in the garage. Anyone got any workouts or routines or activities I can do with it. I've currently been doing 3 X 3 mins of jabs,punches and hooks trying to work as hard as I can.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 01:11:06 am »
I bought a punchbag for Xmas to hang in the garage. Anyone got any workouts or routines or activities I can do with it. I've currently been doing 3 X 3 mins of jabs,punches and hooks trying to work as hard as I can.

There's plenty you can do on the heavy bag, and there's loads of good drills you can find on Youtube. Assuming that you aren't used to it, or haven't boxed, the important thing is when you work the bag is that you're working it in the correct way. Most people that use it just stand in front and wail hard punches at it. That usually ends up in an injury.

Most days I train, I go from 6 to 12 rounds. Six to 8 rounds if I've been doing interval training with weights, and five 3 minute rounds on the rope. 12 rounds if I'm just doing some light drills before. The bag takes a lot out of you if you work it right.

If you really want to wreck yourself and get a good working just by hitting the bag and not worrying about technique, footwork, combination work, head movement, distance, slipping and all that, Try punch out drills.

Keep your guard up and throw straight one-two's constantly at head height as fast and as hard you can for 30 seconds straight, then straight away move on to do either jumping jacks, burpee, press ups, or jumping or jogging on the spot for as hard and fast as you can for the next 30 seconds, then get back up and repeat the punch outs again. Alternate between the others I mentioned for the second exercise. Example:

30 sec punch outs
30 sec jumping jacks
30 sec punch outs
30 sec press ups
30 sec punch outs
30 second burpees (or jogging and punching on the spot if you're bolloxed. Burpees fuck you up)

Those are good because you don't need to take your gloves off to perform any of those. Do the press ups on your fists. Try that for 3x3 minute rounds, working as hard as you can with each interval. 1 minute rest, then the other 3 rounds you would normally do working single techniques moving round the bag and keeping the correct distance, moving in and out.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: September 6, 2016, 05:52:56 pm »
What's the best way to learn to box in 9 weeks? :D

Signed up to a charity fight and want to put on a decent show

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2016, 12:00:48 am »
What's the best way to learn to box in 9 weeks? :D

Signed up to a charity fight and want to put on a decent show
Never seen this posted here, so might be a bit late.

Just go to your local gym and ask to join a few classes. If you're lucky you might get a trainer, or even one of the boxers, to show you the basics and maybe do pad work with. I'd focus mostly on doing that. There's not a hell of a lot you can actually learn to do well enough when you're in the ring in 9 weeks, but so long as you practice a bit on how to defend yourself and move around, you should be OK. The best you can hope for is a bit of conditioning, enough to be able to do anything for over a minute for a couple of rounds. You don't realise just how tiring boxing is until you're actually sparring or fighting someone. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been in enough gyms and trained enough to know how tough it is.