Author Topic: Play Football  (Read 44630 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Play Football
« Reply #400 on: July 5, 2022, 02:40:18 pm »
Any togger going on in Liverpool that needs a player?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #401 on: July 5, 2022, 02:49:59 pm »
What nights you free mate and how many a side? I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though the Thursday is on the Wirral.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #402 on: July 5, 2022, 03:28:16 pm »
What nights you free mate and how many a side? I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though the Thursday is on the Wirral.

Sort of woolball on the Thursdays?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: July 5, 2022, 03:54:30 pm »
Sort of woolball on the Thursdays?
Wooly-ish, there's more wools at Powerleague in town than the XI aside on the Wirral oddly. Group I play with in town is mainly Southerners at the Unis.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2022, 10:55:24 am »

Sorry mate only just seen this! Free most nights as I'm usually gyming it in the morning these days. I'm up for any a side really, what you got going on Tuesdays? Wirral is a bit of a mish from Kirkby!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: July 13, 2022, 09:28:10 am »
Sorry mate only just seen this! Free most nights as I'm usually gyming it in the morning these days. I'm up for any a side really, what you got going on Tuesdays? Wirral is a bit of a mish from Kirkby!
Tuesday is XI aside on grass at St Edwards, 19:30, I can enquire if there's space if you fancy that? Yeah I'm thinking of sacking off the Bidston 7 aside at the Tennis Club, it's a trek for me and I don't usually get home until 22:00 with the 20:00 start, and I live Wirral side if the estuary (stop over in Liverpool two nights a week for work so the West Derby games aren't a problem).

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #406 on: July 13, 2022, 04:24:25 pm »
I'd love to find some 5/7 aside footy again. Alas I've only relatively recently moved to Formby and in previous experience it can be quite tricky just rocking up on your own without a team ;D Unless you're the lovechild of Pele and Maradona skills-wise which sadly I'm not.

Anyone who knows of any options in the Southport/Formby/Crosby area, grateful if you could give us a shout...

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: July 14, 2022, 08:49:29 am »
Tuesday is XI aside on grass at St Edwards, 19:30, I can enquire if there's space if you fancy that? Yeah I'm thinking of sacking off the Bidston 7 aside at the Tennis Club, it's a trek for me and I don't usually get home until 22:00 with the 20:00 start, and I live Wirral side if the estuary (stop over in Liverpool two nights a week for work so the West Derby games aren't a problem).

Yeah mate my only issue is I'm not on the road at the minute and it is tricky getting to West Derby from Kirkby. I would need a lift or meet someone halfway (wherever that is). Should be back on the road in the next couple of months though!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: July 15, 2022, 08:14:39 am »
Andy, let me know when you are driving again and I’ll ask the lad who runs the group.

Played last night, 7s, played fairly solidly but it was a tight game ending 1-1. The pace dropped off massively after 30 minutes and because two lads who hadn’t put their names in the group on time still showed up, we had to play 8 aside and the pitch was too small to accommodate that - meant there was zero space and rarely an unmarked man to pass to. I think the main thing I did was receive the ball and pass it backwards to our centre half. A few of the lads are in the ‘second touch is a tackle’ bracket which meant a lot of the play broke down quickly.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #409 on: July 15, 2022, 08:30:31 am »
Know the feeling, think it helps if you can prepare your mind for getting the ball and knowing what to do next once you get it.

Not wait until you get the ball to think about what to do

We had a good 8 a side game last night, only annoying thing was we had blue bibs for one team. Two of the lads wouldnt wear them properly because it didnt fit well or it was too warm so just wore them round their neck

annoying when you look up and think its your team mate to see a tiny bit of blue, plus some didnt wear the bib as they had some sort of shade of blue. It does get confusing
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2022, 10:56:37 pm »
Thursday numbers still good but starting to get the old habits in which is pissing me off. Started 12 mins late tonight. 2 lads ten mins late then faffing around with their boots and gloves.

Another lad confirms 5 hours before ko he is playing then doesn't show.

Conceded a goal early on, while I'm marking and trying to help organise (not that anyone listens) I'm left one on two while three lads are standing having a chat

Few mins later I'm Again left marking two while some fella changes his bib (about 6 times tonight someone went off to change their bib and remove a layer)

Then one lad on my team of course who won't pass 5 yards to you, instead stands there flicking it to himself before trying to nutmeg someone ten times better than him, gives it away and stands there

Shite game

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:10 am »
Thursday numbers still good but starting to get the old habits in which is pissing me off. Started 12 mins late tonight. 2 lads ten mins late then faffing around with their boots and gloves.

Another lad confirms 5 hours before ko he is playing then doesn't show.

Conceded a goal early on, while I'm marking and trying to help organise (not that anyone listens) I'm left one on two while three lads are standing having a chat

Few mins later I'm Again left marking two while some fella changes his bib (about 6 times tonight someone went off to change their bib and remove a layer)

Then one lad on my team of course who won't pass 5 yards to you, instead stands there flicking it to himself before trying to nutmeg someone ten times better than him, gives it away and stands there

Shite game

One for the Played Football That Really Annoys You thread...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2022, 07:23:24 am »
One for the Played Football That Really Annoys You thread...
definitely. Very pissed off when I got home

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #413 on: September 24, 2022, 11:16:16 am »
  We've had this dad and lad join our group. Its absolutely ruined the game. The lad is quality but you can tell his dad sucks him off when they get home. All game all the dad does is punt it up to the lad and tell him "well done" no matte what happens. Playing last week I reminded the lad he needs to get back and defend at times and I heard his dad tell him to ignore that and try and grab some goals. Nearly smacked the silly brummie c*nt (but of course i did not)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #414 on: February 1, 2023, 05:01:46 pm »
Anyone looking for a game at the moment?

We've struggled for numbers a bit for our five-a-side either side of the festive season - we play at 18:30 on Thursdays in South Liverpool.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #415 on: February 1, 2023, 06:43:56 pm »

We've struggled for numbers a bit for our five-a-side either side of the festive season - we play at 18:30 on Thursdays in South Liverpool.

Could be tempted when I've recovered, might be a while away yet though, so no good for an immediate fix!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #416 on: February 2, 2023, 09:51:18 am »

I literally just came on here to post if there's any games going in South Liverpool. What kind of standard/age group you talking mate?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #417 on: February 2, 2023, 12:24:45 pm »
I literally just came on here to post if there's any games going in South Liverpool. What kind of standard/age group you talking mate?

Completely mixed bag to be honest - we range from a couple of really good players, though some grafters, to me basically ;D Mostly mid 30s I'd say, as an average, though I'm a terrible judge of that and I rather assumed organisational responsibility rather than already knowing everyone!

You just looking on your own or got a couple of mates who've lost a game or something?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #418 on: February 2, 2023, 12:44:31 pm »
Completely mixed bag to be honest - we range from a couple of really good players, though some grafters, to me basically ;D Mostly mid 30s I'd say, as an average, though I'm a terrible judge of that and I rather assumed organisational responsibility rather than already knowing everyone!

You just looking on your own or got a couple of mates who've lost a game or something?

Just on my own looking to do something that isn't just going the gym or running.

35 now, I used to play 5 a side 2/3 times a week until about 5/6 years ago when I had kids and stopped having the time. Thursday nights are usually pretty good for me and I'm Allerton/Garston so anywhere South end is easy for me to get to.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #419 on: February 2, 2023, 12:58:07 pm »
Just on my own looking to do something that isn't just going the gym or running.

35 now, I used to play 5 a side 2/3 times a week until about 5/6 years ago when I had kids and stopped having the time. Thursday nights are usually pretty good for me and I'm Allerton/Garston so anywhere South end is easy for me to get to.

Will send you a message.

Could be tempted when I've recovered, might be a while away yet though, so no good for an immediate fix!

Give me a shout again as & when, just in case I don't drop in here at the right time!

Still looking, Andy?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: February 2, 2023, 02:04:37 pm »
Still looking, Andy?

I am mate but not on the road as of yet (should be in the next couple of weeks though) and I am in Kirkby so would need to drive.

Will let you know soon as I'm on the road because I am definitely game.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2023, 11:34:34 am »
I couldn't work out where to put this question so left it in here.

I have a question for those actively playing football in amateur leagues.

I referee local youth games and have on occasion reffed university level.

Listening to 606 they had pieces this weekend about referees and how much abuse they get and how it is hard to get people to do it. One ref said he tells coaches to tell some parents to leave, but they just come back.

What happens when players abuse refs in the UK leagues ?. My local organizations and leagues are incredibly strict. Red cards get standard 2 games bans or whatever but any genuine abuse of a ref will get players banned for the rest of the season or for 12 months. Also refs are told if problems parents don't leave then just walk off and abandon the game.

The one question that was never asked on 606 was how do the leagues enforce abuse of the refs. If a ref files a report to the league what action can get taken on players or parents ???.

Thanks.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2023, 02:58:55 pm »
Be Interested to know myself

Have heard some bad stories, mate of mine in work is a coach, said he witnessed a referee walking off close to tears one game the abuse was so bad

could go on but ill leave you with one from an old friend of mine, he said one match he sent off a teams captain, whole team surrounded him pushing and shoving him. He sent the entire team off!

His son is one of my best friends, he always told that story, finally got full sp of his dad one night, told me he reported them to the league and the team were kicked out of the league

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2023, 03:02:50 pm »

Just giving this a bump, in case anyone's looking for a game - we're still struggling a bit (including for today!), though we get it over the line most weeks!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #424 on: September 11, 2023, 11:05:01 pm »
Back playing again tonight after the summer break. My son played too. I’m now 53 and he’s nearly 22. He takes it easy on us, he came straight from his own training and my game is auld lads so it’s like a warm down for him but a pleasure for me.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2023, 12:01:19 am »
Back playing again tonight after the summer break. My son played too. I’m now 53 and he’s nearly 22. He takes it easy on us, he came straight from his own training and my game is auld lads so it’s like a warm down for him but a pleasure for me.

I'm sure he loves it too. I moved a couple of hours up the road from my parents a whole thirteen years ago now, but had spells of regular five-a-side with my dad's group around 2006-10, and remember feeling like it meant a lot :)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2023, 08:38:13 am »
Been doing a lot of running lately so skipped football

did 10k yesterday but then got convinced to play 8 a side last night

played really well despite the earlier training, ended the night with 31000 steps and 6000 calories burned

I am 40, at least 2 stone overweight and I put some young fellas to shame, lads there in their 20s who barely break sweat

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2023, 11:18:55 pm »
Christ. Played 8 a side tonight. Lost 3-1. Very low amount of goals

Honestly we should have scored at least 20

Their keeper had the most unreal game I've ever seen. Brought off what must have been 30 great saves. He was even applauded off

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #428 on: November 20, 2023, 05:14:54 pm »

I would love to play football again, or I think I would love to, it's probably just ego talking. I did play some charity games in my early 40s but fella's just can't be trusted not to get too competitive. I would love the movement and the ball skills, just don't think I am interested in the contact.