Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 214716 times)

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Putting on weight/muscle
« on: June 7, 2010, 12:18:35 am »
Just wondering if any of you guys who go to the gym use supplements, if so what are the best ones for putting on muscle/weight aswell as a work out.

I want to 'bulk up'. If anyone has any good routines then that'd also be a great help.

:wave
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2010, 12:51:22 am »
That leather jacket too big was it.wanna fill it out and look good at the Blue Oyster
« Last Edit: June 7, 2010, 12:56:43 am by Captain Tsubasa »

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2010, 12:52:50 am »
You tryin to get in Purple Aki's good books??

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2010, 01:02:27 am »

:lmao
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2010, 01:05:07 am »
That leather jacket too big was it.wanna fill it out and look good at the Blue Oyster

c*nts ;D
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2010, 01:15:07 am »

Class :lmao

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2010, 01:54:15 am »
;D

in all seriousness though, make sure your taking in more calories than your burning or the muscle just wont grow, thats why the majority of premierleague footballers, whilst they are in the gym everyday, dont look like body biuilders because of all the running they do. where supplements are concerned yeh your body needs the protein to repair the muscle but if say you just ate a few eggs after goin the gym, that would have the same effect without paying mega prices for protein shakes.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2010, 02:02:35 am »
Can help with the first, not the second.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2010, 05:53:15 am »
El Rey - If you're talking about protein supplements then Whey protein supplements are big over here (no pun intended).. there's a lot of brands like GNC, Gold Standard, pro-performance etc. and all you do is mix that in milk and drink it up. It's helps you gain weight but crucially, only in muscle.

Please do google about this before you embark on a muscle gaining program because all my info is second hand. I have never used such products and never intend to. A lot of my friends use it though and it is very popular in Uni and for those that work-out seriously.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090112135350AAe5mTB
« Last Edit: June 7, 2010, 05:55:56 am by Una cerveza, por favor »
C'est la vie.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2010, 08:58:00 am »
Maximuscle cyclone in the best imo lad, expensive though.
Heavy weights low reps.
6 - 8 drills (2 diff muscle groups)
3 -4 times
8 -12 reps
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2010, 09:03:06 am »
Just wondering if any of you guys who go to the gym use supplements, if so what are the best ones for putting on muscle/weight aswell as a work out.

I want to 'bulk up'. If anyone has any good routines then that'd also be a great help.

:wave

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2010, 09:03:14 am »
Eat ALOT! Pasta,tuna,Wholemeal rolls and bread etc etc

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2010, 09:19:25 am »
Is there a decent shake for cutting up?
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
Is there a decent shake for cutting up?

Probably using protein shakes with low calorie count, the protein fills you up long time.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2010, 09:40:43 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2010, 09:52:30 am »
Probably using protein shakes with low calorie count, the protein fills you up long time.
Any to recommend?
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2010, 09:59:52 am »
Any to recommend?

I use this stuff, unlike most shakes it tastes great and mixes well with water as well (mix with water to cut out calories from milk)

http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/10/1/PharmaWhey.html

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2010, 10:03:38 am »
I can't start any sort of physio/training for a few weeks yet, but I really need to start getting some weight on (6'6 <13 Stone).  Is there anything I should be avoiding/eating loads of?  Is there a way of strengthening the foundations in preparation for getting fit?  I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to fitness etc

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2010, 10:07:40 am »
Compound exercises and lots of protein.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2010, 10:11:59 am »
I can't start any sort of physio/training for a few weeks yet, but I really need to start getting some weight on (6'6 <13 Stone).  Is there anything I should be avoiding/eating loads of?  Is there a way of strengthening the foundations in preparation for getting fit?  I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to fitness etc

Avoid eating too many simple carbs on non-training days (white bread/rice, chocolate, sugary snacks, energy drinks etc), use high-fibre wholegrain foods for slow energy release and also to fill you up, don't buy into the bullshit that you need to binge on proteins either, you'll cause damage to Kidneys and only so much can be absorbed by the body at once.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #19 on: June 7, 2010, 10:13:50 am »
www.myprotein.co.uk, shameless little plug for the code i have but it does give you 5% off: MP191954.

The Whey protein from there is brilliant, only use it after a workout or 1 each morning with breakfast. So at max twice a day. I've looked at a few forums and they mention that scottish oats for breakfast is good as well as something chicken based for lunch. This is the site i've been looking at for information, it goes into a lot of detail.

Offline Redstafarian

• Anny Roader
  • Fish fingers, mash n peas
« Reply #20 on: June 7, 2010, 10:14:04 am »
Any of them will do it, it's just about balance and doing the hard yards I'm afraid, and watch out, once the weight is on, it just lurves turning to fat at the slightest provocation, such as a kebab.
Liverpool 2 West Ham 1, BBC Radio live coverage of league cup final  ... first and best memory

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2010, 10:46:54 am »
Whey protein from Holland & Barrett.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #22 on: June 7, 2010, 10:56:58 am »

BEEFCAKE!
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: June 7, 2010, 11:19:43 am »
Cheers, I'll have a look for a diet plan.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 7, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »
dont mix any protein powders with milk, as the casein in it doesnt allow it to be absored into the body. always mix with water, and before you go to bed, eat something like a yoghurt or milk which releases protein slowly while you sleep, which is when all the muscle building happens. all the body builders etc get up in the middle of the night to have a protein shake and then go back to sleep. thats rather extreme but it emphasises just when the muscles grow. also the more sleep the better, and muscles are 70% water so at least 2 litres a day, even more on days when your in the gym. dont try and work every muscle in one gym sesh as you simply wont have the energy, just do two for example chest n triceps, or biceps n back, and never train the same muscle group two days in a row. hope this helps.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
Going for xedra cut. It's for 25 days, so i'll see what happens.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »
dont mix any protein powders with milk, as the casein in it doesnt allow it to be absored into the body. always mix with water,

bollocks - wish i'd have known that before

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2010, 01:10:00 pm »
bollocks - wish i'd have known that before

ditto used to do it all the time, then i did my level 3 in fitness instructing and my instructor told me never do to it. all that wasted money....
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »
Don't buy all that branded colourful packaged protein powder, waste of money - go to myprotein.co.uk and bulk buy the unflavoured whey, its cheap and just comes in a plain bag. I mix it with water, it doesn't taste amazing but you get used to it. What you eat is as important as how you train, so take as much effort in the kitchen as you do in the gym.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 7, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »
dont mix any protein powders with milk, as the casein in it doesnt allow it to be absored into the body.

Is that right?  I always thought it just absorbed it slower

Anyway, I've used Boditronics stuff before and it's pretty good (tastes alright too).  They have a decent Forum on their site which is good for advice www.boditronics.co.uk/forums/

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 7, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »
I've got the weight and muscle gainer from holland and barret, I drink 1 big glass a day (mixed with full fat milk) and I've seen no improvement, this is with occassional use of my gym (4/5 times a week for 20 minutes, I know it's not a lot)

I'm 18 and weigh 8 1/2 stone, which is depressing, any tips?

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 7, 2010, 09:47:08 pm »
I've got the weight and muscle gainer from holland and barret, I drink 1 big glass a day (mixed with full fat milk) and I've seen no improvement, this is with occassional use of my gym (4/5 times a week for 20 minutes, I know it's not a lot)

I'm 18 and weigh 8 1/2 stone, which is depressing, any tips?
Quite simply, you're wasting your time. 20mins in the gym 4/5 times a week is pointless. See a trainer at your gym and start a tailored program. Also, post up what you're eating too, just drinking a pint of weight gain a day then eating like shite isn't gonna do anything, combined with your lack of training.
psn = Lents123

Offline Nebnotsew

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: June 7, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
- lurk on http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php - you will learn a lot and the misc section is funny
some routines http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116614581

- calories in>calories out

- myprotein is the best option for protein powders however real food is better if you can afford it

- to make real progress a good diet is just as - or more - important than lifting
Quote from: Rafael Benitez
I was born Spanish, I am no longer as thin (the anxiety doesn’t help), and yes, sometimes I help serving the dinner.

Offline ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 7, 2010, 09:49:37 pm »
Quite simply, you're wasting your time. 20mins in the gym 4/5 times a week is pointless. See a trainer at your gym and start a tailored program. Also, post up what you're eating too, just drinking a pint of weight gain a day then eating like shite isn't gonna do anything, combined with your lack of training.

I don't go to the gym, I have a multigym thingy. I eat loads and not all of it is crap, if I'm hungry, I'll see what's downstairs and eat the healthiest option whilst opting for high-carb foods.
I guess I need to use my gym more but I'm a lazy bastard

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 7, 2010, 09:50:15 pm »
Don't buy all that branded colourful packaged protein powder, waste of money - go to myprotein.co.uk and bulk buy the unflavoured whey, its cheap and just comes in a plain bag. I mix it with water, it doesn't taste amazing but you get used to it. What you eat is as important as how you train, so take as much effort in the kitchen as you do in the gym.

Bought this a while ago and I agree. And it tastes better then most of the other protein shakes.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 7, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »
I don't go to the gym, I have a multigym thingy. I eat loads and not all of it is crap, if I'm hungry, I'll see what's downstairs and eat the healthiest option whilst opting for high-carb foods.
I guess I need to use my gym more but I'm a lazy bastard
High carb = no, high protein is what you want.
As for the lazy bastard thing, well only you can change that but you can't moan about being skinny if you ain't gonna work hard. It really is down to you, there's no magic potion.
psn = Lents123

Offline ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 7, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »
I always thought, being lazy + no excercise + eating crap = putting on weight.
I must have a really really fast metabolism, I'm also 5' 11 so I look a bit abnormal lol

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 7, 2010, 09:54:14 pm »
I always thought, being lazy + no excercise + eating crap = putting on weight.
I must have a really really fast metabolism, I'm also 5' 11 so I look a bit abnormal lol
Wait, you just wanna be fat? In that case crack out the KFC bargain buckets 3 times a day.
psn = Lents123

Offline ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 7, 2010, 09:55:05 pm »
Wait, you just wanna be fat? In that case crack out the KFC bargain buckets 3 times a day.

If I put on a stone, I would still be very skinny.

Offline Nebnotsew

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: June 7, 2010, 10:27:42 pm »
I was confused reading through these last posts because I thought your original post said you were 18 stone !

Get a plan. If you know what you have to do you will be more inclined to do it instead of meandering around and doing whatever you feel like.

EDIT: I'd also suggest getting a weight gainer from myprotein eg this - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/total_gainer
with 34g of protein and 46g of carbohydrate per serving taking that 3 times a day along with your other diet you will quickly gain

I used the same one
« Last Edit: June 7, 2010, 10:31:23 pm by Nebnotsew »
Quote from: Rafael Benitez
I was born Spanish, I am no longer as thin (the anxiety doesn’t help), and yes, sometimes I help serving the dinner.