Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 324029 times)

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #2080 on: March 19, 2018, 03:18:53 pm »
Just two more needed to come out to guarantee Escobar a run in the Lincoln now. Paddy Power into 14s and he’s a general 20/1 shot. Can only see that shortening on the day. Very happy with 33s now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:26:00 pm by ohweloveyerbaldyhead »
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2081 on: March 19, 2018, 05:44:46 pm »
Ante post wager for next Saturday in the Lincoln. Escobar is 33/1 with Paddy Power, no idea why they have him at such a big price. It’ll be his first start for O’Meara who won the race in a similar fashion with Bravery. He’s been transferred from Hugo Palmer who thought he had classic credentials leading into his 3 year old season. He’s off a mark of 97 which should see him get in right at the bottom of the handicap. I fully expect this to be his big target for the season with anything after being a bonus.

Looked at this a couple of days ago, am convinced now. Nice one
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2082 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:19 am »
I’m taking a second stab at the Lincoln and going with Afaak at 20/1 with Coral. He should just sneak in and is a huge price. He’s another progressive 4 year old on a low weight and his price is huge considering his last run when he was half a length second to Addeyb and beat Fire Brigade a neck. Those horses are both priced at 12s yet you can get Afaak at 20s. He’s in the silks of a top owner and has yet to be gelded which I find very interesting as it suggests maybe connections think there’s still a slight stallion prospect in him yet, a very interesting bet at the prices.

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2083 on: March 23, 2018, 02:44:45 pm »
Just two more needed to come out to guarantee Escobar a run in the Lincoln now. Paddy Power into 14s and he’s a general 20/1 shot. Can only see that shortening on the day. Very happy with 33s now.
I’m taking a second stab at the Lincoln and going with Afaak at 20/1 with Coral. He should just sneak in and is a huge price. He’s another progressive 4 year old on a low weight and his price is huge considering his last run when he was half a length second to Addeyb and beat Fire Brigade a neck. Those horses are both priced at 12s yet you can get Afaak at 20s. He’s in the silks of a top owner and has yet to be gelded which I find very interesting as it suggests maybe connections think there’s still a slight stallion prospect in him yet, a very interesting bet at the prices.

looks like both have missed out mate

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2084 on: March 23, 2018, 09:23:55 pm »
They both got pulled, would’ve easily got in too  :no apologies for anyone who followed.

Im going with Bravery now at 18s to try and salvage something back. Won this last year. He’s on a 5lb lower mark and has been gelded over the winter. Never thought he’d get in off that weight and I’d give him a big chance.

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #2085 on: March 24, 2018, 11:56:46 am »
Im going with Bravery now at 18s to try and salvage something back.

A non-runner, now. You are not having much luck this week!

I have backed Donncha at 16-1. It’s a cavalry charge though  :D

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2086 on: March 30, 2018, 11:33:07 am »
Unlucky with all the NR's last weekend OWLYBH. I'm considering whether to abandon ante-post betting altogether to be honest. I had a time of doing well with it and when you get to a big race day with great value you feel great, but I'm not sure if it's outweighed by the non-runners.

Anyway, on to today, I'm having a small Lucky15 on the All-Weather Finals day at Lingfield (on ITV4).

DIAGNOSTIC 2.30 Lingfield 7/2
KACHY 3.05 Lingfield 5/2
CORINTHIA KNIGHT 3.40 Lingfield 5/2
MASTER THE WORLD 4.40 Lingfield 9/2

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:56 pm »
Having a go on the All Weather myself today too after that disaster last week with NRs!

1:30 Gallipoli
2:00 Watersmeet
3:05 Gifted Master
3:55 Purser
4:40 Utmost

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2088 on: March 30, 2018, 01:35:07 pm »
Big run from Gallipoli there, got to wonder how much close he’d have got if the jockey hadn’t messed up taking the blindfold off  :butt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2089 on: March 31, 2018, 08:35:00 am »
Another bad day at the office!

Going for a fun Yankee for a bit of interest in Dubai today.  Not something I’d normally do but I have very little handle on the form but really like the meeting.

3:40 Roy H
4:45 Benbatl - loved this horse since his second in the Dante
5:10 Cloth Of Stars - my favourite flat horse in training. I’m convinced he’s a monster with a huge win in him, today could be his day
5:50 - West Coast - World Cup is set up for the American raiders now and a short priced Baffert horse will do for me

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:00 am »
Cannot see past Blue Point in the 3.05 at Meydan. Surprised you can still get odds against for it

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2091 on: March 31, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »
Another bad day at the office!

Hopefully it lasts you over the Aintree tipping comp   ;D I made a small profit with 2/4 on the Lucky15, but the other 2 were both 2nd so 'what could have been'  :no

Going for a fun Yankee for a bit of interest in Dubai today.  Not something I’d normally do but I have very little handle on the form but really like the meeting.

That's what I do too for a meeting I want to keep an interest in, but don't feel there's super value. Good luck! Meanwhile, over in Carlisle... the 3.25 looks interesting. The top four are all 5/1+ in the exchange betting and I like Chidswell. Top weight but a good claimer who has previously done well, consistent form of being in the mix (inc. at Carlisle & on soft ground) and almost always gone off shorter. Decent chance at the price.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2092 on: April 1, 2018, 12:14:14 pm »
Hard lines on Chidwell Wyl. Money came for it but not to be.

My two biggest bets of the whole season tomorrow both in the Irish National.

Bellshill & Mall Dini. Also doing the RF. Think they're both very very well handicapped horses and it's a race that'll suit both perfectly.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2093 on: April 2, 2018, 02:34:52 pm »
bellshill drifting

think hes too heavy
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: April 2, 2018, 03:11:22 pm »
Bloody joke Irish racing nowadays.Completely dominated by Elliot and Mullins.Should be some limit to the amount of horses a trainer can have in a race.There must be some serious knock on effects in regards to bookie takings in Ireland.(not a bad thing) and the impact on the smaller trainers with a lot of the races being mopped up by these two.Smaller yards must think theyre only playing for place money at best in a lot of races.Id imagine some are wondering if they can compete at all.
Whats the feelings in Ireland?
« Last Edit: April 2, 2018, 03:14:06 pm by planet-terror »
bollocks

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2095 on: April 2, 2018, 03:20:08 pm »
Bloody joke Irish racing nowadays.Completely dominated by Elliot and Mullins.Should be some limit to the amount of horses a trainer can have in a race.There must be some serious knock on effects in regards to bookie takings in Ireland.(not a bad thing) and the impact on the smaller trainers with a lot of the races being mopped up by these two.Smaller yards must think theyre only playing for place money at best in a lot of races.Id imagine some are wondering if they can compete at all.

They don't just dominate in Ireland. When they send horses to meetings in the UK, they tend to win a lot. Henderson is the only British trainer with a really strong team.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2096 on: April 2, 2018, 03:45:41 pm »
They don't just dominate in Ireland. When they send horses to meetings in the UK, they tend to win a lot. Henderson is the only British trainer with a really strong team.
Fair point but Irish jump racing is dominated by them to,what i feel is the detriment of the sport over there.
bollocks

Offline fcbruno

• Main Stander
« Reply #2097 on: April 5, 2018, 08:39:13 am »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2098 on: April 11, 2018, 10:19:25 pm »
Fair point but Irish jump racing is dominated by them to,what i feel is the detriment of the sport over there.

It's a joke mate, they'll have to start capping the amount of runners a trainer or owner can have in a race. They're taking the piss. Lots of graded races only contested by Mullins and Elliott.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2099 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:10 pm »
You've also got to think of it from other perspectives re their domination.

Firstly, their training fees aren't much higher than the likes of De Bromhead yet their results are far greater. If you were an owner where would you want to same your horse?

Secondly, Mullins & Elliot buy an awful lot of the horses they train and then sell them on to perspective owners. Is it right to then also regulate a completely separate industries i.e. breeding, point to point etc. saying they can only buy a certain amount of horses a year?

They're ultimately dominating because they're the best. Elliot isn't even from a racing family and is completely self made. It won't be long though until someone like Joseph O'Brien comes and takes over. Comes in phases and they're enjoying their domination, it won't last forever.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2100 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:25 pm »
You've also got to think of it from other perspectives re their domination.

Firstly, their training fees aren't much higher than the likes of De Bromhead yet their results are far greater. If you were an owner where would you want to same your horse?

Secondly, Mullins & Elliot buy an awful lot of the horses they train and then sell them on to perspective owners. Is it right to then also regulate a completely separate industries i.e. breeding, point to point etc. saying they can only buy a certain amount of horses a year?

They're ultimately dominating because they're the best. Elliot isn't even from a racing family and is completely self made. It won't be long though until someone like Joseph O'Brien comes and takes over. Comes in phases and they're enjoying their domination, it won't last forever.

I'm just going by the feelings of the average punter/race goer. No one enjoys it when there's only two trainers in the race. There is no easy fix I'm just seeing a lot of apathy towards the game at the moment.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2101 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:18 am »
tiger roll 5er ew at 12/1

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2102 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:05 pm »
From 365:

Grand National Money Back Offer

This offer is only available to eligible bet365 customers who opened their account before 23:59:59 UK Time on Wednesday 11th April 2018.

The Grand National takes place on Saturday 14th April and we've got a fantastic money back offer for Each Way bets placed on the world's greatest horse race.

How it works:

Place your bets on the Grand National between Thursday 12th April and 11:59:59 UK Time on Saturday 14th April.
We will then give you half the stake back for every Each Way single bet you place on the race, up to a maximum total refund of £125* per customer.

This offer is only available between 00:00:01 UK Time on Thursday 12th April 2018 and 11:59:59 UK Time on Saturday 14th April 2018. The offer applies to Each Way single bets placed on Win and Each Way Fixed Odds, Enhanced Place Terms and Each Way Extra markets on the Grand National, taking place at Aintree on Saturday 14th April. Bets placed outside these times will not qualify. This offer will not apply where all or part of a bet has been Cashed Out or edited using our Edit Bet feature. Once a refund has been credited, the Cash Out and Edit Bet features are not available for qualifying bets. We will aim to credit your refund within two hours of bet placement. Tote bets do not count as qualifying bets and will not be refunded.
Bets must be placed in the usual way and can be paid for from either your Withdrawable Balance or Bet Credits. Bets placed from your Withdrawable Balance will be refunded to your Withdrawable Balance and bets placed with Bet Credits will be refunded as Bet Credits.

Grand National 6 Place Market

You have the option to take 5 places on the Grand National or benefit from an extra place when you bet on our Enhanced Place Terms (6 Place) market. The Enhanced Place Terms market will be available from 14:00 UK Time on Friday 13th April. Please note that Price Promise only applies to the standard Win and Each Way (5 Place) market. T&Cs apply.

Choose up to 10 places with Each Way Extra
You can choose up to 10 places on the big race when you select your own place terms with Each Way Extra. Each Way Extra will be available on the Grand National from 14:00 UK Time on Friday 13th April. Please note that Price Promise only applies to the standard Win and Each Way (5 Place) market. T&Cs and restrictions apply.

With this fantastic money back offer, as well as the bet365 Price Promise, our ITV Racing 4/1 Offer, and Best Odds Guaranteed - bet365 is a great place to enjoy this year’s Grand National Festival at Aintree.

* or currency equivalent
Grand National Money Back Offer Terms and Conditions
This offer is only available to eligible bet365 customers who opened their account before 23:59:59 UK Time on Wednesday 11th April 2018.
This offer applies to Each Way single bets placed on the Win and Each Way Fixed Odds (5 Place) market, Enhanced Place Terms (6 Place) market and Each Way Extra market for the Grand National, taking place at Aintree on Saturday 14th April 2018.
This offer only applies to qualifying bets placed between 00:00:01 UK Time on Thursday 12th April 2018 and 11:59:59 UK Time on Saturday 14th April 2018. Bets placed outside these times will not qualify.
This offer only applies to qualifying bets placed via mobile, tablet or desktop. Bets placed using our Telephone Betting service will not qualify for this offer.
This offer will not apply where all or part of a bet has been Cashed Out or edited using our Edit Bet feature. Once a refund has been credited, the Cash Out and Edit Bet features are not available for qualifying bets.
Tote bets do not count as qualifying bets and will not be refunded.
You can see a full list of your available offers by logging in and selecting the Offers section on mobile or the Promotions section on desktop. bet365 maintains a record of customer contact in relation to eligibility for offers and this record, including the date and time of any restrictions being imposed, will be final in the event of any dispute. If you open your bet365 account after 23:59:59 UK Time on Wednesday 11th April 2018 then this offer might still appear in your list of offers but, in accordance with term 1, you are not eligible for it.
Refunds will be equal to half the total stake of all qualifying bets placed on the Grand National, taking place at Aintree on Saturday 14th April 2018, up to a maximum of £125* per customer.
We will aim to credit your refund within two hours of bet placement.
This offer is only available to customers residing in Great Britain and Republic of Ireland.
Where any term of the offer or promotion is breached or there is any evidence of a series of bets placed by a customer or group of customers, which due to enhanced payments, Free Bets, risk free bets, Bet Credits or any other promotional offer results in guaranteed customer profits irrespective of the outcome, whether individually or as part of a group, bet365 may reclaim the enhanced payment, Free Bet, risk free bet or Bet Credit element of such offers and/or void any bet funded by the Free Bet or Bet Credits. In addition, where there is evidence of such activity, bet365 may levy an administration charge on the customer up to the value of the Bet Credits, Free Bet, risk free bet or enhanced payment towards the administrative costs incurred in identifying and taking action against the activity.
bet365 may reclaim any bonus amount, Free Bets, Bet Credits or enhanced payments that have been awarded in error.
All customer offers are limited to one per person. If bet365 has reasonable grounds to suspect that the bonus or offer is being claimed by or for the benefit of the same person more than once or by a group of people then it may withdraw the availability of any offer or all offers to that customer or group of customers and/or void any bet funded by the bonus or offer and remove any winnings from such bet.
bet365 may, at any time, make minor amendments to this promotion to correct typographical errors or to improve on clarity or customer experience and may cancel this promotion for legal or regulatory reasons.
Employees, officers and directors of bet365, its promotional or other agencies, licensees and licensors, service providers and any other associated or affiliated companies shall not be eligible for the promotion. The same terms shall apply to the direct families of such persons.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2103 on: April 12, 2018, 12:24:47 pm »
not a mullins or elliot horse in sight at aintree today,they must have read my post above.

interesting james revely returns to the uk for his regular french trainer macaire in the 2.20.
will be having a nibble at that.
bollocks

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: April 12, 2018, 12:44:16 pm »
bollocks

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #2105 on: April 12, 2018, 12:50:15 pm »
That bet 365 offer is nice ! ( Can't see the offer on there site )
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:52:21 pm by scouser4eva »

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2106 on: April 12, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »
That bet 365 offer is nice ! ( Can't see the offer on there site )

I got an email from them this morning with the same offer.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2107 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:49 am »
Spiritofthegames
Terrefort
Style de Garde

EW Treble .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2108 on: April 16, 2018, 08:19:15 pm »
Voix Du Reve, Fairyhouse 5:50 14/1

Couldn't believe this price when I saw it for tomorrow. Couldn't see why Willie had campaigned him up in trip as he has loads of pace and needs a fast pace to truly settle. Was on the verge of going very close in the Fred Winter in 2016 before falling which is extremely strong form and if he can bounce back to anywhere near that he'll be right there in this.

Offline fcbruno

• Main Stander
« Reply #2109 on: April 17, 2018, 08:39:32 am »

Couldn't believe this price when I saw it for tomorrow. Couldn't see why Willie had campaigned him up in trip as he has loads of pace and needs a fast pace to truly settle. Was on the verge of going very close in the Fred Winter in 2016 before falling which is extremely strong form and if he can bounce back to anywhere near that he'll be right there in this.

done a fiver each way on it -- got 11/1 skybet

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2110 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:54 am »

12 at pp

i think you got me money at cheltenham so you swung me

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2111 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:48 am »

good luck with it,,hope it wins..
only 10 other mullins horses in the race.
bollocks

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2112 on: April 17, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »

Was thinking of this post when I saw the Fairyhouse card today.

Check out the 4.40 runners today.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: April 17, 2018, 03:03:20 pm »
Was thinking of this post when I saw the Fairyhouse card today.

Check out the 4.40 runners today.
yes seen it earlier,ridiculous..puts me off betting in these races and im sure plenty more.
someone important, somewhere, must be trying to do something about it.
bollocks

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
yes seen it earlier,ridiculous..puts me off betting in these races and im sure plenty more.
someone important, somewhere, must be trying to do something about it.

It would of course be too transparent but imagine the sums of money connections could land if there was any sort of collusion involved.
And I'm not alleging anything, just purely hypothetically speaking given the millions that will pass through the exchanges on such races.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: April 17, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »
It’s a really tough on though isn’t it, as an authority you can’t stop people wanting to have horses in training with the best trainers. With so many top class horses in two yards there are only so many races in the calendar that you can place said horses. If you create more top level races they become less competitive with less runners and you get criticised again.

I think there are two arguments, firstly is from a betting side, yes those races can be less desirable to place your money in. However, it’s only an extremely small number of the total races that this is occurring in. I can also say that the reason they’re both throwing so many horses at it is because they’re so close in the champion trainer race so it’s very fair to assume all are going for the win.

Secondly as a spectacle without betting. I don’t think the sport suffers, that juvenile hurdle at 4:40 is full of exciting sorts and will likely be a great race regardless of who trains them all.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2116 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:32 pm »
It would of course be too transparent but imagine the sums of money connections could land if there was any sort of collusion involved.
And I'm not alleging anything, just purely hypothetically speaking given the millions that will pass through the exchanges on such races.
Im sure its heavily monitored [emoji1]
bollocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2117 on: April 18, 2018, 10:12:09 am »
Voix Du Reve never settled at all yesterday, there’s a big handicap in him somewhere down the line.

Having a go on Frodon today 9/1 Cheltenham 2:40. 2/2 c&d dropping back in grade after two tilts at Grade 1s

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2118 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:54 am »
Voix Du Reve never settled at all yesterday, there’s a big handicap in him somewhere down the line.

Having a go on Frodon today 9/1 Cheltenham 2:40. 2/2 c&d dropping back in grade after two tilts at Grade 1s
backed it

oh well

Offline liversaint

• Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #2119 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:29 am »

Frodon is a good shout, Nicholls looks to be throwing a few darts here today.

Having a small go on What happens now in the 5.00 for Donald McCain. Decent form, goes well on the ground, bottom weight.