Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 180774 times)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2009, 10:49:22 am »
Met Robb a few years ago too. Sound fella. Only dug out Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change the other day. I'd forgotten how blisteringly good they were.
Burn My Eyes was truly an amazing album, every song has some amazing riffs.

Personally, I would have loved for them to stick to that formula, but I don't think they made too much of a departure in their subsequent albums, the riffs and lyrics are still wonderful, production varies but in a good way. Geat band though, and I'm really glad they're still out there.

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: October 2, 2009, 06:18:50 pm »

Offline Humifying Fitchet - banned arse.

• Compost-making polecat
  • Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: October 2, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »
The "metal" I listen to AKA hardcore, has some actual lyrics. You know - about friends, family, clean living, and having fun at shows. Fuck that emo school shooting Kurt Cobainbullshit. Guy was a hipster faggot from Seattle.

Offline Humifying Fitchet - banned arse.

• Compost-making polecat
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #163 on: October 2, 2009, 07:19:27 pm »
The "metal" I listen to AKA hardcore, has some actual lyrics. You know - about friends, family, clean living, and having fun at shows. Fuck that emo school shooting Kurt Cobainbullshit. Guy was a hipster faggot from Seattle.

Come on, I can't be the only one?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #164 on: October 3, 2009, 03:43:24 am »
Funny, here was me thinking that grunge died ages ago, is it still relevant?

Some hardcore is good, most of it is fairly rubbish in my eyes, well the "new" hardcore is anyway. Old stuff like Conflict, Discharge and the "crust" era of hardcore is great to me, as I listened to a lot of it when I was younger, but then it's all about opinions isn't it. There's only 1 "new" hardcore band that I like and they're not new anymore in fact their old in the scene, and that's Vision of Disorder, and that's because Imprint was a fucking stormer of an album when it came out and I still enjoy it now when I dig it out of the collection. Most bands since have been very poor imitations. Again though, it's all about opinions.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 3, 2009, 07:21:50 am »
Love the 80's style hardcorebands. And the 80's band themselves, obviously. Negative Approach, the Necros, Negative FX, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Youth of Today, Black Flag, DRI, etc.
I see followers in bands like 'Pissed Jeans' and 'Fucked Up' today. Although they tend to be influenced by noiserockbands like the Jesus Lizard as well.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Dipman

• Main Stander
« Reply #166 on: October 4, 2009, 07:41:05 pm »
I'm a big Trivium fan, seen them live twice, and I just can't get enough of them! Shogun, the newest album, was a fucking brutal album!

But if anyone haven't heard them yet, listen to A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation! It's absolutely brilliant.

Good song to listen to when you're pissed.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #167 on: October 5, 2009, 11:59:12 am »
I'm afraid I get confused by all of the different metal genres - I'm 53 after all and a bit old for this. What's the difference between death metal and black metal?

I'm not sure what genre the bands I like come under... It's all just music to me

Amon Amarth
Turisas
Candlemass
Slough Feg
Cruachan
Skyclad
Bal sagorth
Skiltron
Doomsword

there are many others, but they're the ones that spring to mind I suppose

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #168 on: October 6, 2009, 11:13:14 pm »
I'm afraid I get confused by all of the different metal genres - I'm 53 after all and a bit old for this. What's the difference between death metal and black metal?

I'm not sure what genre the bands I like come under... It's all just music to me

Amon Amarth
Turisas
Candlemass
Slough Feg
Cruachan
Skyclad
Bal sagorth
Skiltron
Doomsword

Mate, it gets more confusing by the day with genres. There's post-hardcore, post-doom, post-everything by the seems of it. Really it should all just be called metal. Then again, there's a lot that try to pass themselves off as metal and are actually fucking rubbish and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the genre.

Sometimes the genres can be helpful. Take Death and Black metal. There's a lot of differences, some of them subtle, some not so. If you believe what some people say, the death metal genre was named after the possessed song "death metal" from the seven churches album. Can't say if it's true or not, good a reason as any to name a genre (wasn't Heavy Metal first used by Iron butterfly way back when?) Death metal, these days, generally has more gutteral vocals (some hilarious people like to call them cookie monster vocals) and the lyrical content generally is about death in some form or another. Generally. Now it's splitting off a lot with a lot of death metal really being very "grindy" and having fucking vicious lyrics. Which are sometimes funny and tongue in cheek, sometimes not and just very shit. It's a far cry from the late 80's when there was a lot of decent death metal about, especially coming out of sweden. Just see Dismember's "Like an ever flowing stream" and Entombed's "Left hand Path" for what I mean. Amon Amarth are a very, very good version of modern death metal...(although these days I think i've got to call them Viking Death Metal....)

Black Metal on the other hand, if you believe people, takes it's name from the Venom album. Black metal can be equally as brutal as death at times, but the vocals are a lot higher in pitch. Now, that's not like Rob Halford high, it's instead of gutteral screaming, it's high rasping vocals. Blame Bathory for that, Quorthorn really was one of the first to ever do it (RIP). There is generally a lot more "atmosphere" in the black metal stuff. I really don't know how to describe how they do it. Some do it with keyboards, some do it purely through the production. But good black metal is an entirely different feel from death metal.
Black metal was largely unknown, despite there being a fucking awsome "first wave" of bands with the sound. Bathory, Celtic Frost and Hellhammer to name but a few. It was the second wave that was mainly Scandinavian that brought it notoriety, and not through the music alone.

I adore the early 90's black metal, Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Enslaved, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc, and at the time they were pumping out what are to me, all time classic albums. But what saw the genre in the mainstream press was the association of some band members to some church burnings and in Varg Vikernes (the man behind Burzum) 's case, a murder. I won't go into a lot of detail, if you want to read about the scene (and some of the death metal lot too) I highly recommend "The Lords of Chaos" by Michael Moynihan. The first half of the book has a good recounting of everything that went on in the scene and is a very good read. The second half of the book is a bit distracted in all honesty, but the books worth it for the first half....

Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #169 on: October 7, 2009, 02:06:40 am »

Amon Amarth
Turisas
Candlemass
Slough Feg
Cruachan
Skyclad
Bal sagorth
Skiltron
Doomsword

I'd just like to mention Slough Feg again here (they used to be The Lord Weird Slough Feg). What a truly amazing band! Should be far, far bigger than they are in my eyes, I've got everything they've ever done apart from demo's and I struggle to think what would be my fave album. I'd probably say Atavism, but only by a Rizla width above all the others.

Have you got the new one, Ape Uprising, Zep?
Gratitude

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #170 on: October 7, 2009, 12:00:08 pm »

Have you got the new one, Ape Uprising, Zep?

Yes - it's pretty good, although I haven't listenmed to it enough yet to rate it against previous stuff.

thanks, by the way for the previous post about the differences in black and death metal - it's a bit clearer in my mind now.

As i said earlier, I don't really worry about genres nowadays - when I was younger, I'd have been horrified if I'd liked something in the wrong genre, but I'll listen to anything now. My tastes vary so much - obviously, I love Led Zeppelin and lots of metal bands, but I also really like folk music - Fairport, Martin Simpson, The Unthanks, Show of Hands etc. Of course, this then leads on to folk metal... Korpiklaani, Tyr etc

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #171 on: November 2, 2009, 05:42:34 am »
There's some fucking excellent releases coming up.

New Skeletonwitch is a fucking beast, new Pelican is excellent, new Devin Townsend is excellent as well, but the new Katatonia is fucking brilliant, blew me away on first listen ;)
Gratitude

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #172 on: November 2, 2009, 11:49:42 am »
There's some fucking excellent releases coming up.

New Skeletonwitch is a fucking beast, new Pelican is excellent, new Devin Townsend is excellent as well, but the new Katatonia is fucking brilliant, blew me away on first listen ;)

I shall look out for the Skeletonwitch album - 'Beyond the peramfrost' was a good album.

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: November 2, 2009, 04:51:44 pm »

Finally! It's here! I work at a record store, and costumers been complaining all day. I can't see (or hear) the problem? Why can't you listen to the new Slayer album 8 hours in a row? I'm off at 7 (danish time), so it's gonna be 9 hours, but this album is f****** brilliant. Oh, i waited a long time for this.

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 2, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »

Finally! It's here! I work at a record store, and costumers been complaining all day. I can't see (or hear) the problem? Why can't you listen to the new Slayer album 8 hours in a row? I'm off at 7 (danish time), so it's gonna be 9 hours, but this album is f****** brilliant. Oh, i waited a long time for this.
Also got leaked last week :)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #175 on: November 2, 2009, 05:22:07 pm »
In keeping with the Slayer theme I've currently got South of Heaven on...

What a band they were before Kerry King started to look like a giant podgy baby. I still remember the first time I went to see them when I was like 13. Epic.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: November 2, 2009, 05:22:59 pm »
I wouldn't know.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #177 on: November 3, 2009, 06:29:47 am »
I shall look out for the Skeletonwitch album - 'Beyond the peramfrost' was a good album.
The new one is their best by miles I think, and permafrost was a cracker I thought at the time!

As for this...

I can honestly say that I was worrying about hearing it. I didn't get on with Christ Illusion, it's just not a very good album. This ones is miles better and has grown a bit on me over the last few listens. Good to hear them still doing decent stuff to be honest, even if it's still not a patch on show no mercy through to seasons....

The new pelican is well worth a punt if you're into instrumental stuff, another fucking cracker from them
Gratitude

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #178 on: November 3, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »

As for this...I can honestly say that I was worrying about hearing it. I didn't get on with Christ Illusion, it's just not a very good album. This ones is miles better and has grown a bit on me over the last few listens. Good to hear them still doing decent stuff to be honest, even if it's still not a patch on show no mercy through to seasons....

The new pelican is well worth a punt if you're into instrumental stuff, another fucking cracker from them

I'm with you on that. I heard the new album 9 hours in a row, and it just keeps getting better. It's more angry and violent that Christ Illusion (which in my opinion is a fairly good album). I just bought Revolver magazines Slayer issue, where all members talk about the formation of the band back in the early 80's and up till now. 84 pages pure hatred! There's some fun reading.
When i came home, the good old Reign In Blood, Seasons In The Abyss and South Of Heaven albums came on stereo. Truly a great Slayer day, but I'm having a Iron "Mania" period right know, so they are back on the record player.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #179 on: November 4, 2009, 01:00:55 pm »
A lot of metal out there I think is crap.

I like about 15 - 20 bands that would come under the wide umbrella of genres within the metal scene.

Anyway, the new Slayer album is very good. I have never disliked anything they've done.
I once went down to Rock City to see them and stayed in a hotel.

That's the type of venue you should see them at - not an arena.
I think they are playing Rock City very soon. I recommend the venue with Slayer on the stage.
Their crowds were always diverse. Metal heads, punks, skinheads, straightedges, goths, skaters, old rockers and people who look like Phil Collins fans.

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 4, 2009, 07:05:02 pm »

By far the best band on the planet and will remain as such until Josh Homme stops being a gobshite and gets the Sky Valley era Kyuss together. They could record themselves pissing against a wall and they'd still do a better job of that than most bands would do of their "master piece albums". Hell, if they did that and thew in some crying, acting like pussies and showed what spoilt bitches they are they could probably release it as the new metallica album and sell a lot more.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #181 on: November 4, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

Dream theater is a great band!

Soilwork are pretty sweet as well.

Dream theater is a great band!
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #182 on: November 5, 2009, 06:02:09 am »
By far the best band on the planet and will remain as such until Josh Homme stops being a gobshite and gets the Sky Valley era Kyuss together. They could record themselves pissing against a wall and they'd still do a better job of that than most bands would do of their "master piece albums". Hell, if they did that and thew in some crying, acting like pussies and showed what spoilt bitches they are they could probably release it as the new metallica album and sell a lot more.
:lmao spot on mate. Well I dunno about the best band on the planet, but totally agree about the metallica bit!

If anyone likes scandinavian death/doom, the new Swallow the sun is a very nice little album, been listening to that today and it's a grower
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 5, 2009, 11:20:15 am »
Awwww Slayer postpone their tour.

Tom Araya's back needs surgery, see, touring all those bingo halls and makeshift theatres over the years can't be good for ya  ;)

Latest album is projected to sell a Massive 35 to 40K copies in its first week.

Death Magnetic ? sold 490,000 copies in it's first 3 days of availability   

There is a reason why Metallica (Hall of fame, 7th biggest selling act in American history) is where it is, and Slayer is, well...   more than a step or 2 down the pecking order. Always was. Always will be. :wave

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #184 on: November 5, 2009, 09:34:02 pm »
Awwww Slayer postpone their tour.

Tom Araya's back needs surgery, see, touring all those bingo halls and makeshift theatres over the years can't be good for ya  ;)

Latest album is projected to sell a Massive 35 to 40K copies in its first week.

Death Magnetic ? sold 490,000 copies in it's first 3 days of availability   

There is a reason why Metallica (Hall of fame, 7th biggest selling act in American history) is where it is, and Slayer is, well...   more than a step or 2 down the pecking order. Always was. Always will be. :wave
Yup, there is. They can thank Ozzy for taking them on tour back in what, 85? 86? They can also thank changing from epic songs to 3/4 min hook based songs on the black album. They can also thank writing music for computer games and dumbed down rubbish like Death magnetic to get back in with the kids. Can't blame them for making (more) money, but if you think that death magnetic is a patch on anything done pre the black album you're very, very deluded. Then again, each to his own eh. Personally, after listening to DM a few time I can honestly say that the songwriting is childlike, even compared to the vastly superior Load album, and that's saying something.

You can say what you like about slayer, and no, they're not as famous or as rich as metallica, but they've never deviated and never alienated their original fanbase by copping out and pandering to the mainstream.

Unfortunatly for both bands they'll never ever put out anything that's close to their 80's albums which still kick ass from both.

Fair play to Araya, he's probably needing surgery because he still headbangs like a motherfuker on the bass, which is great to see. James doesn't ned surgery, he just needs to find some more oil for his hair as it's not quite slick enough......... ;)

Like a fish on a hook eh ;D
Gratitude

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 5, 2009, 10:50:21 pm »

It's the same reason more people eat McNasty's than mangos.
The same reason millions of people sit down every weekend to watch shite like celebrity scrictly come x-factor island rather than read a book.

Metallica are lowly scum. The Manchester United of metal music.

Way to show how awesome a band is, see how popular they are. Nana Mouskouri > Metallica < U2 ("I've a new song bono", "what was wrong with the old one?")

The melodramatica lovers should stay in their own thread. The one with the safety scissors and the napkins.

"Oh oh but dey is da bigest band! dat means dey is awsum!"

For what it's worth: http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Got them in 17th, behind country legend George Strait and Mariah Carey, who presumably we should all think are fantastic now on the basis of selling more CDs than another band?

Metallica can suck my scrote. If they want I'll even trim it, slick back the hair and stick a cuban cigar out of my arsehole so it's more appealing for them before doing so... I'm guessing that would just make them cry though, then James would have to talk about his feelings... or kill something. That's what a man would do. Drive silly cars, shoot some animals and struggle to handle watered down piss, most of which made it's way over his face rather than into his gob.

OOOOOOooOOOOHYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
OOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOYEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

HAwaaaaaiaaaaan shirtssssssAH!
Shit drum production-AAH-OOOH
An MTV special with Avril Lavigne covering our songs-aaaah!
METAAAAAAAAAL \\m//

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #186 on: November 5, 2009, 11:55:26 pm »
The same reason millions of people sit down every weekend to watch shite like celebrity scrictly come x-factor island rather than read a book.

Way to show how awesome a band is, see how popular they are. Nana Mouskouri > Metallica < U2 ("I've a new song bono", "what was wrong with the old one?")

The melodramatica lovers should stay in their own thread. The one with the safety scissors and the napkins.

"Oh oh but dey is da bigest band! dat means dey is awsum!"

For what it's worth: http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Got them in 17th, behind country legend George Strait and Mariah Carey, who presumably we should all think are fantastic now on the basis of selling more CDs than another band?

Metallica can suck my scrote. If they want I'll even trim it, slick back the hair and stick a cuban cigar out of my arsehole so it's more appealing for them before doing so... I'm guessing that would just make them cry though, then James would have to talk about his feelings... or kill something. That's what a man would do. Drive silly cars, shoot some animals and struggle to handle watered down piss, most of which made it's way over his face rather than into his gob.

OOOOOOooOOOOHYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
OOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOYEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

HAwaaaaaiaaaaan shirtssssssAH!
Shit drum production-AAH-OOOH
An MTV special with Avril Lavigne covering our songs-aaaah!
METAAAAAAAAAL \\m//

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Dude I love how as you get older your metallica posts get better and better. Wisdom of the ages eh! ;D
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 6, 2009, 09:52:46 am »
Yup, there is. They can thank Ozzy for taking them on tour back in what, 85? 86? They can also thank changing from epic songs to 3/4 min hook based songs on the black album. They can also thank writing music for computer games and dumbed down rubbish like Death magnetic to get back in with the kids.
For me, the Black Album is their 'Istanbul' if you will, it got a lot of people clinging on, but in a perverse way their inferior offerings later and Death Magnetic have kept the core interested, and this is why their latest tour was magnificent, it was one for those who stayed the course, not just joined as a fashion.

Now, let's take a look at history, firstly, which band does not benefit from starting out as a support ? (you don't think Slayer supported Ozzy (actually 3rd on the bill behind Judas Priest as I recall) and if you're good enough, you'll be there for years to come, and you think Metallica became popular when they changed to 3/4 mins songs ? Puppets certified Gold in November 1986, and I'm guessing you've never been/heard of the Day on the Green concert in front of over 100,000 in Oakland at the time ?.
Can't blame them for making (more) money, but if you think that death magnetic is a patch on anything done pre the black album you're very, very deluded. Then again, each to his own eh.
Hmmmm don't recall me saying that. Having been on the Puppets tour, the Justice Tour I think I may be slightly familiar with their old material.

Death Magnetic is not the best album they have ever done, but it is the best album they could have done at this stage of their career, sure it's not without its flaws, but it is pretty solid offering, gained huge critical acclaim (when recent offerings deservedly didn't) and it sold accordingly.
Personally, after listening to DM a few time I can honestly say that the songwriting is childlike, even compared to the vastly superior Load album, and that's saying something.
Vastly superior Load ??  :duh.
You can say what you like about slayer, and no, they're not as famous or as rich as metallica, but they've never deviated and never alienated their original fanbase by copping out and pandering to the mainstream.
They couldn't if they tried, and they tried believe me, with the music videos ? you want to be hardcore ? why book a show on Jimmy Kimmell ? why go on MTV ?.
Unfortunatly for both bands they'll never ever put out anything that's close to their 80's albums which still kick ass from both.
Totally agree there, but you cannot, just cannot expect Thrash metal bands to do what they did 30 years ago, the genre, the music, the energy will go with age, it is just a natural progression of things, it is extremely unfair to expect ANY band to recreate the intensity of Puppets or South of Heaven when they are pushing 50 years.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 6, 2009, 10:00:03 am »
Every (normal) band's dream or an artists is to get as much people to listen to their music as possible, to recognise their labour and hard work, Slayer is no exception. Metallica is just better at it than them, always have been, always will be John Crazy.
Okkkkay I'm guessing you have something personal going on there with Metallica...  erm I'll move on to the next point...
Fantastic powers of deduction you have there, I'm guessing you've never heard of music genre's, and how, you know, maybe you should compare like for like ? comparing Thrash Metal with Mariah Carey ? and you seriously want to make a valid argument ?.

I'm also guessing you missed the...
There is a reason why Metallica (Hall of fame, 7th biggest selling act in American history) is where it is
bit in my quote there...   look it up in Google.

I wanted to address the rest of your post, but there really wasn't much else to take from it to be honest.

Look, I'm not going to try and convince anyone whether Metallica is any good or not; it's all about musical tastes, and much like your trimmed, slick Cuban loving hole, everyone's got one (some may not be as trimmed, I dunno).

In terms of success, and recognition, Metallica dwarfs anything Slayer has or will ever do, and this is not my opinion, this is fact, based on album sales, based on media/critic recognition, sold and sold and sold out shows, while they just played a sold out Pepsi Centre, Araya and the boys were struggling to sellout the Hammy Odeon co-headlining with Trivium  :lmao     and yet Slipknot sold out more dates than them at this venue a month or 2 later, without a need for a co-headline.

Tell you what though, my mate's crap band plays in front of 50 people down the pub, they're well hard, no videos, MTV airplay or nothing, full of integrity, not like these sold out famous Slayer boys, yeah ?.

By the way for those interested, Metallica are all but confirmed to be back for more sold out shows in 2010 in the UK :wellin   happy trimming Juan  ;)

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #189 on: November 6, 2009, 10:05:15 am »
Right now listen!!!  I know nothing about heavy metal and would like a few pointers on some good songs, albums or bands to look at as an introduction to the genre.  I've got a few songs by Metallica and rage against the machine but need a bit more.  The harder the better. 

P.S. anyone who quotes me as saying the harder the better will die!!!!!

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 6, 2009, 10:08:30 am »
Right now listen!!!  I know nothing about heavy metal and would like a few pointers on some good songs, albums or bands to look at as an introduction to the genre.  I've got a few songs by Metallica and rage against the machine but need a bit more.  The harder the better. 

P.S. anyone who quotes me as saying the harder the better will die!!!!!
Depends on what you like Voni, do you want fast (speed) metal ? like songs that seem to go at 100 miles an hour ? or do you like the slower heavy 'chugga chugga' riffs ? do you want them talking about wizards, death, and satan or do you want them discussing politics, environment and current events ?

Tell us which songs you have listened to (and liked) and I'm sure we'll try to see if we know of any similar tones...

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 6, 2009, 06:10:01 pm »
Every (normal) band's dream or an artists is to get as much people to listen to their music as possible, to recognise their labour and hard work, Slayer is no exception. Metallica is just better at it than them, always have been, always will be John Crazy.Okkkkay I'm guessing you have something personal going on there with Metallica...  erm I'll move on to the next point...Fantastic powers of deduction you have there, I'm guessing you've never heard of music genre's, and how, you know, maybe you should compare like for like ? comparing Thrash Metal with Mariah Carey ? and you seriously want to make a valid argument ?.

I'm also guessing you missed the...bit in my quote there...   look it up in Google.

I wanted to address the rest of your post, but there really wasn't much else to take from it to be honest.

Look, I'm not going to try and convince anyone whether Metallica is any good or not; it's all about musical tastes, and much like your trimmed, slick Cuban loving hole, everyone's got one (some may not be as trimmed, I dunno).

In terms of success, and recognition, Metallica dwarfs anything Slayer has or will ever do, and this is not my opinion, this is fact, based on album sales, based on media/critic recognition, sold and sold and sold out shows, while they just played a sold out Pepsi Centre, Araya and the boys were struggling to sellout the Hammy Odeon co-headlining with Trivium  :lmao     and yet Slipknot sold out more dates than them at this venue a month or 2 later, without a need for a co-headline.

Tell you what though, my mate's crap band plays in front of 50 people down the pub, they're well hard, no videos, MTV airplay or nothing, full of integrity, not like these sold out famous Slayer boys, yeah ?.

By the way for those interested, Metallica are all but confirmed to be back for more sold out shows in 2010 in the UK :wellin   happy trimming Juan  ;)

You seem to have this obsession with figures and audiences. Of course Metallica have more than slayer... I wouldn't debate the point. Like I say, they're the McNasty's or Yernited of heavy metal music.

I'll throw this at you a completely different way because you don't seem to want to accept that there is a correlation between selling big and selling out, which Metallica certainly have done.

No one in Slayer ever has to work a day in their lives again. They do what they love for a living and they are very successful at it. So successful that they can stay true to what the started out doing whilst expanding on that.

Metallica never have to work a day again in their lives. They do what they love for a living and they're very successful at it. They're also greedy. It's not enough to do what they started doing well, they have to follow trends, to do films, to act simultaenously like pop-stars and men having a midlife crisis. They have abandoned what they started out doing and will now do anything to sell more records. Slayer can look at themselves in the mirror and know they're still doing what they wanted to do... Metallica can look themselves in the mirror and know they're a gang of whores.

No figures, attendence records, venues sold out or commercial deals will ever change that. So the Death Magnetic Tour sponsored by Pepsi (can't be bud light with James pussying out all of a sudden) can go fuck it's self with a knife.

Metallica may be the most successful metal band of all time. By a fucking distance. It's probably because they've done as much as possible to get as far away as they can from the sound that made them in the first place, but wasn't suited to breaking onto MTV or whatever.

Maybe the lads in Evile ought to do some horrendous Misfits and Thin Lizzy covers in cuban shirts. They might be massive then, and not sell outs in the slightest.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 6, 2009, 06:42:51 pm »

How hard? I don't mean to be patronising but there's a difference in heavyness for people who are used to listening to heavy music and those who really haven't paid much attention before now. I mean RIC could give you some full on black metal or something and chances are if you've not heard much heavy stuff before that you'll just find it unbearable. I know people who listen almost exclusively to metal who can't listen to it.

I'll give you one incredibly obvious but mind-bogglingly amazing band that will give you pretty much everything TipTopKop mentioned above:

Pantera.

If you haven't ever really listened to heavy music before go out and get a shit load of Pantera because chances are there'll be something there that you like.

If that something happens to be Five Minutes Alone then I'll gladly give it to you harder and better than ever before.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 6, 2009, 07:20:17 pm »
Metallica may be the most successful metal band of all time. By a fucking distance.
That's the point I was making.

For that, they have my respect. To you, it's selling out, that is your opinion, and is different to mine (neither opinions need be factual of course). To me, it's staying the course, keeping it together and crossing thousands of miles for years on end doing the thing they love. If they wanted to get as far away from what they had started, they wouldn't finish every show with Seek and Destroy, they wouldn't start with the same intro they have since Kill 'Em All, play Puppets, and they wouldn't have/need to play all near 10 minutes of Justice For All in the last concert they played over here.

Seeing as you bring football analogies into it, I'll have to say it's a bit like Taggart with his rotation being labeled as 'resting'; when Slayer put out Diabolus in Musica trying to fit in with the nu metal crowd, trying to semi-rap that's not considered selling out, that's experimenting. Perhaps you've had the misfortune of hearing their fantastic cover of "In a Gada Da Vida" back in the day in an attempt to get radio airplay as well ?, what was that ? more experimenting ?.

You don't want to sell out ? fine. Don't show up on Jimmy Kimmel and do other chat shows, don't go on MTV, don't go to music awards and accept any, don't try to do music videos, don't release Live DVD/CD sets, and don't try to hold a setlist made of one album, because all these things were done before by the sellouts that are Metallica. You want to be hardcore ? keep it "real" ? don't bother with any of those things.

The point I'm trying to make here is, the concept of "selling out" is a fluid one, and it's down to the individual to interpret it. Clearly Slayer seem to be within bounds for you, to me, they are no less the "whores" you labeled Metallica, alongside Anthrax, and Megadeth, all have long since Sold Out.

..and I love each and every one of them.

Let some tosspot 'non-sellout' band out of today try and last a third of the way any of these boys have.
I'll give you one incredibly obvious but mind-bogglingly amazing band that will give you pretty much everything TipTopKop mentioned above:

Pantera.
Don't listen to him Voni they're rubbish...

Ok I kid   ;D

Fantastic band, Listen to "Suicide Note Part 2" it is an example of fast metal, and the last last bit is the slooooow heavy groove, but it's best to tell us songs you've heard and liked and I'm sure the lads on here will recommend quite a few tracks.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #194 on: November 6, 2009, 10:07:26 pm »
Well this metallica debate comes up about once a month. As with most music it's personal. The debate is personal to me as Kill em all, lightening, puppets, justice and even the black album are from my youth, the stuff i listened to a lot when growing up. When I listen to the likes of Whiplash, call of cthulu, orion etc, even now I can hear the sheer lasting talent in the songs and the albums. the stuff after black is all just utter throwaway music really to me. I'll give DM this, is vastly superior to St Worst album ever recorded by a big metal band by a long way ever, but when i listen to it there's no power, there's no agression, there's none of the spark that still gets me when I listen to the old stuff. That's my problem with Metallica, their music has, to me, become utterly souless. The new slayer on the other hand is pumped full of what i used to love about them. Gaaaaahhh, anyway, it's all moot points as you like what you like.

Voni mate, like the lads say, it depends on what you want. Pantera is a fucking good place to start. But don't listen to anything other than Vulgar display of power first as it's their best NO MATTER WHAT THE OTHERS SAY!!! ;)

This thread is a really good place to come for recommendations to be honest, there's a lot of good shit on here. Personally I'd say try everything, all genres as you never know, but for the more extreme end of metal, you've got to let your ears get used to things gradually or it really will just be a wall of noise to you and you'd be missing out on some exceptional music that's far far better than all the mainstream rubbish that's out there ;)

No, i'm not biased...why d you ask ;D
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #195 on: November 6, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
Oh right, before I forget. I dunno if this should be in here, but I listened to the new Firebird album yesterday and it's really very good. Some would call it stoner, some would call it hard rock, i dunno, it's very catchy though.

For those of you that don't know who they are (most of you i'd imagine) firebird is Bill Steers main project these days. Who's bill steer you say? You heathens! Ex member of Carcass and Napalm death. Now before you blouses that don't like extreme music stop reading ( ;) ) it's bluesy and certainly not hardcore at all. If you like stuff to sound a bit more like it's from the 70's then check them out
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 6, 2009, 10:48:31 pm »
The debate is personal to me as Kill em all, lightening, puppets, justice and even the black album are from my youth, the stuff i listened to a lot when growing up. When I listen to the likes of Whiplash, call of cthulu, orion etc
You will never, ever, hear the likes of The Call of Ktulu, and Orion again, these masterpieces can never be bettered in my opinion.
I'll give DM this, is vastly superior to St Worst album ever recorded by a big metal band by a long way ever, but when i listen to it there's no power, there's no agression, there's none of the spark that still gets me when I listen to the old stuff.
That is also true, on all counts.

I have to admit, coming off Load/Reload and hearing the pre-hype about St. Anger, then hearing the album I really thought that this was it, that maybe, just maybe there's nothing left at all.

DM came, and as you say, though it does not posess the power, or spark of older albums I personally was never expecting it to, I guess that's probably it : expectation. To me, these guys (all these bands) have entered a phase in life where if they try to emulate their old stuff they look like angry old millionaire pensioners, and if they try to mellow out well then they're pretty much done as well, so perhaps for me DM is the right album at the right time, it's heavy enough to be angry, but it can't ever touch Lightning/Puppets/Justice.
Voni mate, like the lads say, it depends on what you want. Pantera is a fucking good place to start. But don't listen to anything other than Vulgar display of power first as it's their best NO MATTER WHAT THE OTHERS SAY!!! ;)
I went to HMV the day that album came out, and they had (at the time one of those new) listening posts, and the album was there, I had Cowboys before that anyway, and just couldn't wait to get home to hear it, so I put on the headphones and chose a track at random... I thought let's see ummm track no.9 "Regular People (Conceit)" sounds like an interesting title... some 40 seconds later without a single vocal being heard I thought "Fuck This" put the headphone down, rushed to the cashier and the rest was history  ;D

An absolute blinder of an album, to me it's their best, and easily one of the top albums ever for me by any band/artist.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #197 on: November 7, 2009, 06:16:25 am »
Every (normal) band's dream or an artists is to get as much people to listen to their music as possible, to recognise their labour and hard work,
Just one thing. I read the quote above earlier, TTK, and kinda glossed over it, but without wanting to get into more objective argum....ahem discussions, i'd just like to say that's not stricly true. A lot of people who are in bands do it for the sheer love of playing music. Recognition, cash and the rest is all just bonuses to being able to play what you truly feel  passion for.

I played death and black metal for about 13 years before I upped sticks and moved and i'm still at it out here in NZ. I've played to 6 people and i've also played to 400+. From my experience, playing live is a massive thrill, but the thing i enjoyed most is writing music with my mates and getting out the tunes that rumble around my head. I've recorded 3 albums and have spent a lot more doing it than I ever recouped from sales, doesn't bother me because I love the shit that we did in the bands and I still listen to them. playing the music we did/I do it's purely about the love and the fact that if i didn't get the tunes out of my head I think it would probably explode like something out of scanners.

If anyone goes into music just to get recognised, then they're in it for the wrong reasons.

Sorry, felt i needed to respond to the point, as you were :)
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 7, 2009, 09:29:59 pm »
Sorry, felt i needed to respond to the point, as you were :)
No that's a fair comment, I should have worded it better perhaps, my point was not so much that every musician wants to be recognised themselves, as much as they want their music to be recognised, and as you say even then it's not everyone, of course it's a generic comment on my part, everyone has their own purpose of going into music.

On a more wider scale, I would imagine these days the main motive for people to get into music is about playing live, in front of audiences etc, can't be making money out of selling albums/songs as mp3's have probably put paid to that. Bands like Machine Head seem to be touring forever, they keep geting asked when they'll start the follow up to the Blackening, but they're just too busy touring, they're now switching on to the remaining dates on the Metallica tour since the Slayer/Megadeth Canadian dates got cancelled, and after that they're coming over to Europe and will be in England around Feb 2010 to do some dates by themselves, busy !.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #199 on: November 8, 2009, 12:25:40 am »
No that's a fair comment, I should have worded it better perhaps, my point was not so much that every musician wants to be recognised themselves, as much as they want their music to be recognised, and as you say even then it's not everyone, of course it's a generic comment on my part, everyone has their own purpose of going into music.

On a more wider scale, I would imagine these days the main motive for people to get into music is about playing live, in front of audiences etc, can't be making money out of selling albums/songs as mp3's have probably put paid to that. Bands like Machine Head seem to be touring forever, they keep geting asked when they'll start the follow up to the Blackening, but they're just too busy touring, they're now switching on to the remaining dates on the Metallica tour since the Slayer/Megadeth Canadian dates got cancelled, and after that they're coming over to Europe and will be in England around Feb 2010 to do some dates by themselves, busy !.
Yeah, fair enough mate, it was just niggling at the back of my mind the way you put so I felt the need to respond.

Totally agree that live is where the cash is, as you say, keeping people buying merchandise is pretty damned important if you're going to "make it".
Gratitude