Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395729 times)

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #2040 on: October 5, 2022, 08:39:34 pm »

Some welcome, alright.
Phew. Cocaine is still ok.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: October 5, 2022, 08:41:02 pm »
So the Egypt, Saudi and Greece bid to host the 2030 has been officially submitted. And it's tearing me apart. On one hand, it would be awesome to have Egypt, my home country, host the world cup. On the other, I hate our regime, everything they stand for and their ass licking for the Saudis. It's also going to be a Winter world cup, which sucks massively. Considering the money involved, I can see that bid winning it, but ffs, this is a dilemma I could do without.

Crazy that with Greece there it would be a winter world cup - just shows how much bribe money is at play.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2042 on: October 5, 2022, 08:48:17 pm »
As long as you snort it off your wife's body rather than your girlfriend's then I'd say you'll be fine. Otherwise it's 100 lashes.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: October 5, 2022, 08:55:10 pm »
So the Egypt, Saudi and Greece bid to host the 2030 has been officially submitted. And it's tearing me apart. On one hand, it would be awesome to have Egypt, my home country, host the world cup. On the other, I hate our regime, everything they stand for and their ass licking for the Saudis. It's also going to be a Winter world cup, which sucks massively. Considering the money involved, I can see that bid winning it, but ffs, this is a dilemma I could do without.
Greece is a strange choice. They'd do well to submit a joint bid with Turkey.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: October 5, 2022, 09:08:55 pm »
I thought they'd go full Russia and just pretend they're not a bunch of arseholes while the world cup is on, but that graphic suggests it could be a real shitshow of a tournament and the vast majority of "fans" there will probably be corporate types.

Can/Will the various FA's do anything if another winter world cup is planned? Surely it's damaging their product having these events in the middle of each season.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2045 on: October 5, 2022, 09:17:17 pm »
I thought they'd go full Russia and just pretend they're not a bunch of arseholes while the world cup is on, but that graphic suggests it could be a real shitshow of a tournament and the vast majority of "fans" there will probably be corporate types.

Can/Will the various FA's do anything if another winter world cup is planned? Surely it's damaging their product having these events in the middle of each season.

It’s going to cause a break away at some point clubs aren’t going to stand for it.

Money will talk and clubs can make more by creating a new league.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: October 5, 2022, 11:44:04 pm »
It’s going to cause a break away at some point clubs aren’t going to stand for it.

Money will talk and clubs can make more by creating a new league.

I don’t see what a new league has to do with it? Are you saying that a load of clubs will create a new league which has no affiliation with FIFA as a means of getting out of sending their players to a World Cup in the winter? I don’t know so much. Footballers seem to like the idea of playing in World Cups.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #2047 on: October 6, 2022, 12:13:52 am »
Greece is a strange choice. They'd do well to submit a joint bid with Turkey.
Didn't Greece have like no money a decade ago

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: October 6, 2022, 06:32:04 am »

Some welcome, alright.

Down with this.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: October 6, 2022, 10:55:04 am »
I don’t see what a new league has to do with it? Are you saying that a load of clubs will create a new league which has no affiliation with FIFA as a means of getting out of sending their players to a World Cup in the winter? I don’t know so much. Footballers seem to like the idea of playing in World Cups.

Im saying clubs will eventually get pissed off with their players going all over the world to play pointless friendlies and in some cases return broken.

In what other business and footy is a business can you take an asset worth £50-100m and return it back knackered ?

Players do like internationals but they like money more and if plenty is on the table they will go for that all day long.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: October 6, 2022, 11:49:58 am »
Neville's working for beIN Sports for the tournament. Of course he is.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: October 6, 2022, 12:17:48 pm »

Yeah but he is still going to ask questions about human rights so go easy on the mercenary !

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #2052 on: October 6, 2022, 12:19:24 pm »
He's saving football though

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2053 on: October 6, 2022, 12:42:38 pm »
Thank God he's not working for some awful regime like an American TV channel.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #2054 on: October 6, 2022, 01:06:40 pm »
ESPN are such an evil organization.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2055 on: October 6, 2022, 01:09:34 pm »

Absolute fraud that fella.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #2056 on: October 6, 2022, 01:24:43 pm »
Absolute fraud that fella.
There's more than reason we call him Rat Boy

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: October 6, 2022, 01:28:36 pm »
There's more than reason we call him Rat Boy

Half rat half man,both halves full of shit.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: October 6, 2022, 01:47:40 pm »
Is anyone going to watch this? I love a world cup and yes it will be hard knowing there will be some decent games on tap for a month, but fuck that.

Absolutely, my country are in it for the first time in 64 years, I cant wait.  Along with everyone else, I watched my club team win a Tournament in Qatar,  so Ill be watching this too.
Its not the fault of the participants or the supporters that FIFA have awarded this to Qatar, which was a terrible country before the award, did FIFA think Qatar would suddenly become a liberal democracy.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: October 6, 2022, 02:22:47 pm »
I'll watch some but my viewing won't count towards the official numbers.

I am most excited to see the morality police in action,expecting world class oppression.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2060 on: October 6, 2022, 02:40:12 pm »

Funny you say that given Fox hold the rights to broadcast the World Cup in America.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: October 6, 2022, 03:46:19 pm »
Absolutely, my country are in it for the first time in 64 years, I cant wait.  Along with everyone else, I watched my club team win a Tournament in Qatar,  so Ill be watching this too.
Its not the fault of the participants or the supporters that FIFA have awarded this to Qatar, which was a terrible country before the award, did FIFA think Qatar would suddenly become a liberal democracy.

No, it's not the fault of the participants or the supporters, but the fewer people that watch it, the better, I think. It's not Newcastle fans' "fault" that they are now owned by Saudi, either, but by continuing to attend games and buy the products, they tacitly support the regime. I can understand that if your country rarely appear, it's a massive thing to give up though. However, this isn't a normal World Cup: it will be played with almost no real fans from the nations concerned, in an oppressive atmosphere. I hope the whole thing is a shambolic failure on every level. Because otherwise, it will become the norm. to play in Gulf states and dictatorships.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: October 6, 2022, 04:15:55 pm »

Some welcome, alright.

No alcohol? There will be many glad Scotsmen that we didn't qualify now.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: October 6, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »
No, it's not the fault of the participants or the supporters, but the fewer people that watch it, the better, I think. It's not Newcastle fans' "fault" that they are now owned by Saudi, either, but by continuing to attend games and buy the products, they tacitly support the regime. I can understand that if your country rarely appear, it's a massive thing to give up though. However, this isn't a normal World Cup: it will be played with almost no real fans from the nations concerned, in an oppressive atmosphere. I hope the whole thing is a shambolic failure on every level. Because otherwise, it will become the norm. to play in Gulf states and dictatorships.
I keep reading this, however, besides some European countries this statement is not true at all.

Besides Qatar obviously, the rest of the top ten markets for ticket applications were from Argentina, Brazil, England, France, India, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the USA.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2064 on: October 6, 2022, 04:40:52 pm »

that’s the thing isn’t it, fans or indeed the players playing for their countries have done nothing wrong here, the villains of the piece are the football federations who are basically utterly corrupt and take the money to line their pockets to give these awful human rights abusing countries and states tournaments.  It’s shit.

The world cup is great, and fans shouldn’t need to be saddled with a massive moral dilema through no fault of their own.

I do wish though that more people in power as it where (be it managers, high profile players, pundits, even people not directly involved with the sport), brought more attention to, and put far more presure in the media on these federations. It just doesn’t get highlighted enough still how corrupt they are. Just as fans are absolutely fine with teams like Man City and Newcastle being bought for sportswashing, it is still far too acceptable for FIFA to be utterly corrupt. Like, far too many people genuinely don’t give a shit, cos they love the product, it’s awful. 

As for Gary Neville, what an absolute wanker that guy is - and again, this will all be swept under the carpet, what an utter hypocrite he is, just so long as he keeps raising a few good political points occasionally, or has a dig at whoever it is that makes a good target to get him loads of likes and retweets from his Twittter football following of trolls.

(By the way sinnermichael - you got Tim Bolotoned on Twitter with your 'Neville's working for beIN Sports for the tournament. Of course he is.’ comment, unless you are Tim Bolton of course  ;) ).

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: October 6, 2022, 04:50:56 pm »

Some welcome, alright.

Pretty sure our fans enjoyed plenty of alcohol at the Club World Cup 2 years ago. Sure it will be the same for the World Cup. Available and very expensive!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2066 on: October 6, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »
that’s the thing isn’t it, fans or indeed the players playing for their countries have done nothing wrong here, the villains of the piece are the football federations who are basically utterly corrupt and take the money to line their pockets to give these awful human rights abusing countries and states tournaments.  It’s shit.

The world cup is great, and fans shouldn’t need to be saddled with a massive moral dilema through no fault of their own.

I do wish though that more people in power as it where (be it managers, high profile players, pundits, even people not directly involved with the sport), brought more attention to, and put far more presure in the media on these federations. It just doesn’t get highlighted enough still how corrupt they are. Just as fans are absolutely fine with teams like Man City and Newcastle being bought for sportswashing, it is still far too acceptable for FIFA to be utterly corrupt. Like, far too many people genuinely don’t give a shit, cos they love the product, it’s awful. 

As for Gary Neville, what an absolute wanker that guy is - and again, this will all be swept under the carpet, what an utter hypocrite he is, just so long as he keeps raising a few good political points occasionally, or has a dig at whoever it is that makes a good target to get him loads of likes and retweets from his Twittter football following of trolls.

(By the way sinnermichael - you got Tim Bolotoned on Twitter with your 'Neville's working for beIN Sports for the tournament. Of course he is.’ comment, unless you are Tim Bolton of course  ;) ).

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: October 6, 2022, 05:04:10 pm »

:D Can't afford cheese now with the heating and electricity bills nevermind cocaine.

But looking at that list never realised loud sounds are also frowned upon in Qatar,nobody better make a sound when someone scores then i guess.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: October 6, 2022, 07:19:56 pm »

Some welcome, alright.
Fake news per the organizing committee's official facebook page.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2069 on: October 6, 2022, 08:02:54 pm »
The fuckig winter games. And no one will bat an eyelash.

It's hard to say with the Saudis and their bottomless pit of money and disregard for human rights, nature and whatever, but I think there's a close to 100 percent chance that those winter games won't be happening. The project is almost as insane as the "Line"-city they're planning there.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: October 6, 2022, 08:54:50 pm »
I'm hoping this site won't have any world cup related threads once the sportwashing cup starts right?
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2071 on: October 6, 2022, 08:57:44 pm »
I'm hoping this site won't have any world cup related threads once the sportwashing cup starts right?

only if you promise to take out Abu Dhabi FC out of your signature.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: October 6, 2022, 10:22:51 pm »

So did you refuse to watch Liverpool in the Club World Cup? 
Yes it will be a shit world cuo for many reasons.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: October 6, 2022, 10:28:50 pm »

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: October 6, 2022, 10:35:05 pm »
As far as I can remember, I didn't watch any of it. But that would have likely been the case wherever it was played, so I can't claim any moral high ground there. I just don't particularly care about FIFA's shitty world club cup, but that's just me. The European Cup is the pinnacle of the club game for European teams and always will be (until it's entirely taken over by UAE or Saudi and rebranded and played out there, of course).

In any case, I think many of us (including me) are rather more aware of the human rights records of these places now than we were even a few years ago.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: October 6, 2022, 10:40:48 pm »
As far as I can remember, I didn't watch any of it. But that would have likely been the case wherever it was played, so I can't claim any moral high ground there. I just don't particularly care about FIFA's shitty world club cup, but that's just me. The European Cup is the pinnacle of the club game for European teams and always will be (until it's entirely taken over by UAE or Saudi and rebranded and played out there, of course).

In any case, I think many of us (including me) are rather more aware of the human rights records of these places now than we were even a few years ago.

You cant remember if you watched Liverpool win a trophy 3 years ago?

The Qatari regime have been well known for their awful human rights record for some time.

The PL, have welcomed investment from UAE and Saudi Arabia and most people on here are always watching it.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 10:50:38 pm by Kenny's Jacket »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #2076 on: October 7, 2022, 01:36:29 am »
No World Cup for me. F them.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: October 7, 2022, 02:57:06 am »
Everybody hates Qatar, until Qatar pays them.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2078 on: October 7, 2022, 03:39:15 am »
I keep reading this, however, besides some European countries this statement is not true at all.

Besides Qatar obviously, the rest of the top ten markets for ticket applications were from Argentina, Brazil, England, France, India, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the USA.

How many tickets were purchased by dodgy pop-up companies owned by middle eastern countries when you dig into it?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: October 7, 2022, 06:26:22 am »
How many tickets were purchased by dodgy pop-up companies owned by middle eastern countries when you dig into it?
I think companies such as 8xbet and 3key have bought a lot of tickets to distribute to their staff.