Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446596 times)

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6040 on: October 5, 2019, 07:05:56 pm »
Lovren played better than expected ... hence the accolades. Virgil however was only doing his routine i.e. imperious best. I thought Virgil was fantastic. 2 shots on target despite pre-game incessant chatter about what Jamie Vardy will do to us. Vardy was in his pocket all day. Did not even get a sniff

Tremendous!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #6041 on: October 5, 2019, 07:07:50 pm »
Him and Dejan were robbed off a clean sheet today  :(
The change is cast

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6042 on: October 5, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »
Was a little bit shocked that he didn't score the header at the end, he wasn't under much pressure and wasn't that far out either.
Just goes to show how high the standards are that he has set for himself.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6043 on: October 20, 2019, 06:29:25 pm »
He was the antithesis of Alonso today.

He's been massive for us no doubt, but we have to be critical and objective. The way he backed away from James and allowed him to put in that cross sent me back to Camp Nou and the way he kept backing away from Messi. He seemed too lethargic today and kept slowing the play down. He was a major reason why our play was so pedestrian and our passing so slow today.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6044 on: October 20, 2019, 06:50:19 pm »

He's been massive for us no doubt, but we have to be critical and objective. The way he backed away from James and allowed him to put in that cross sent me back to Camp Nou and the way he kept backing away from Messi. He seemed too lethargic today and kept slowing the play down. He was a major reason why our play was so pedestrian and our passing so slow today.

I have to agree to be honest. Subpar game for Virgil.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #6045 on: October 20, 2019, 06:55:36 pm »
He plays non stop for us...I think as a team we can afford to play Matip and Gomez/Lovren.

I would also rest him vs Genk other the obvious one against Arsenal.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #6046 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:18 pm »
I meant non stop for us/Holland

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6047 on: October 20, 2019, 07:49:42 pm »

Why would you compare him to Alonso of all people?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6048 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:23 pm »
Why would you compare him to Alonso of all people?

Because Alonso dictated the tempo of our play. He knew when to up and down the tempo.

Today he made a number of clear shifts in tempo when he got the ball and most of it was slowing the play down when I felt it wasnt necessary to. Klopp seemed to be having a go at the team for the same thing. 

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6049 on: October 21, 2019, 09:51:40 am »
Because Alonso dictated the tempo of our play. He knew when to up and down the tempo.

Today he made a number of clear shifts in tempo when he got the ball and most of it was slowing the play down when I felt it wasnt necessary to. Klopp seemed to be having a go at the team for the same thing. 

Yes he did as a deep lying midfield pivot which Van Dijk clearly is not. Pointless comparison.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6050 on: October 21, 2019, 11:43:44 am »
Yes he did as a deep lying midfield pivot which Van Dijk clearly is not. Pointless comparison.

He had more touches on the ball than most other Liverpool players which means the ball went through him a lot.  He made a total of 91 passes.

You think he didnt play a role in dictating the tempo of the play? Please use your brains before passing statements just cause you disagree with them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:45:23 am by athreyakb »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6051 on: October 21, 2019, 12:01:48 pm »
He had more touches on the ball than most other Liverpool players which means the ball went through him a lot.  He made a total of 91 passes.

You think he didnt play a role in dictating the tempo of the play? Please use your brains before passing statements just cause you disagree with them.

Firstly, wind your patronising tone in lad if you want to discuss something maturely.

You said he was the "antithesis of Alonso" which is what I took issue with. Pointless comparing Virgil Van Dijk to a deep lying central midfielder.

He is a distributor and at times a key passer, it is not his key role to dictate the tempo, his accurate passes are primarily to the full backs or the deepest midfielder to get us going forward or to ensure possession
is kept.

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6052 on: October 21, 2019, 12:15:34 pm »
Firstly, wind your patronising tone in lad if you want to discuss something maturely.

You said he was the "antithesis of Alonso" which is what I took issue with. Pointless comparing Virgil Van Dijk to a deep lying central midfielder.

He is a distributor and at times a key passer, it is not his key role to dictate the tempo, his accurate passes are primarily to the full backs or the deepest midfielder to get us going forward or to ensure possession
is kept.

It may not be his key role, but our midfielders trust him with the ball an awful lot and rightly so. In yesterdays particular instance he took the sting out of the play when we seemed to be in full flow by trying to calm things or slow things down. Like I said he had 91 passes and a lot of them from positions that were near the halfway line (where a deeplying midfielder would usually play). I understand that it typically it may not be his role to dictate the tempo, but whether its his role or not, he ended up slowing play down several times when he should not have.

When  I said he was the antithesis of Alonso yesterday, I simply meant that Alonso was a master of knowing when to up and lower the tempo of play, whereas Van Dijk did the opposite of that yesterday. It was a noticeable shift in tempo. It seemed intended. He didn't even have to dictate the tempo of the play, he just had to keep it moving at the same pace...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6053 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:28 pm »
He didn't even have to dictate the tempo of the play, he just had to keep it moving at the same pace...

He can also increase the tempo if there is space to move into to make yards with the ball at his feet and in doing so move the team a few yards higher up or if there are passing opportunities available.

Utd's formation first half meant usually because of their front 4's press that often the short pass to Robertson or a lateral one to one of Gini/Fabinho or the directional change back to Matip were the only passes
he could make unless he risked giving up possession which he did on more than one occasion when he tried to go long and direct to Mane.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6054 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:41 pm »
It may not be his key role, but our midfielders trust him with the ball an awful lot and rightly so. In yesterdays particular instance he took the sting out of the play when we seemed to be in full flow by trying to calm things or slow things down. Like I said he had 91 passes and a lot of them from positions that were near the halfway line (where a deeplying midfielder would usually play). I understand that it typically it may not be his role to dictate the tempo, but whether its his role or not, he ended up slowing play down several times when he should not have.

When  I said he was the antithesis of Alonso yesterday, I simply meant that Alonso was a master of knowing when to up and lower the tempo of play, whereas Van Dijk did the opposite of that yesterday. It was a noticeable shift in tempo. It seemed intended. He didn't even have to dictate the tempo of the play, he just had to keep it moving at the same pace...
But the point remains that VVD isn’t in the side to help dictate our tempo, that’s not his job and not what he’s in the side for. The fact he ended up with the highest number of passes shouldn’t automatically elevate him to some kind playmaking role.

There were three midfielders ahead of VVD, one of which is the captain, who should have been taking over this responsibility, getting the ball off him and circulating it.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6055 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »
He can also increase the tempo if there is space to move into to make yards with the ball at his feet and in doing so move the team a few yards higher up or if there are passing opportunities available.

Utd's formation first half meant usually because of their front 4's press that often the short pass to Robertson or a lateral one to one of Gini/Fabinho or the directional change back to Matip were the only passes
he could make unless he risked giving up possession which he did on more than one occasion when he tried to go long and direct to Mane.

That may have been the instance in the first half. (Along with a combination of our midfielders not showing for the ball).

If I can find a video of him against United and show some of the instances I'm referring to in the second half I'll do that. 

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6056 on: October 21, 2019, 12:29:21 pm »
But the point remains that VVD isn’t in the side to help dictate our tempo, that’s not his job and not what he’s in the side for. The fact he ended up with the highest number of passes shouldn’t automatically elevate him to some kind playmaking role.

There were three midfielders ahead of VVD, one of which is the captain, who should have been taking over this responsibility, getting the ball off him and circulating it.

Dictating the tempo of the play may not be his  key role and should be that of a midfielder I agree. But every player in the team has a certain degree of control or a role in keeping the play moving. Every player has a certain degree of control over the tempo right? All it takes is for one player to slow things down when the game is moving quickly for the entire tempo to shift. Are we agreed on that? VVD, Alisson, Firmino or any other player has to an extent a certain degree of control and a part to play in maintaining the tempo of play.

I'm not using the fact he made the highest number of passes to state that he should dictate the tempo of the game. But it means he would've had a significant degree of control in it.
There were instances when our attacks were being recycled in the second half (like a header from Maguire returning possession to Roberton deep in their half an he passed to VVD near the halfway line). We got possession back and a quick pass to an available Keita, Ox or Fabinho would've gone nicely to keeping the attack going. Instead we ended up back in our half and United back in formation having to go through their entire shape all over again. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:31:29 pm by athreyakb »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6057 on: October 21, 2019, 12:57:58 pm »
Errr.........isn't there a post-match thread somewhere.........?

:roger

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343806.0

Isn't that the way we used to do it? Individual players' performances in relation to the most recent game tended to be directed towards the post-most-recent-game-thread for at least a few days? Go there instead. Thanks. No more thread domination raking over the same point over and over - it's dull. Ta.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:59:40 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6058 on: October 22, 2019, 12:14:13 pm »
.....and back open. Play nicely. :wave

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6059 on: October 25, 2019, 03:12:28 am »
.....and back open. Play nicely. :wave
Is that warning to us or to Virgil?

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6060 on: October 31, 2019, 06:47:43 am »
Just been watching a lot of the silly LFC Youtube videos and VVD would've been one of our most popular signings based on his charisma alone. He could be a politician with how he answers questions from 8 year olds (certainly does better than the actual politicians). The man has some incredible charisma and has the ability to relate to anyone. One of the very best players in the world but also seems like one of the friendliest.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6061 on: November 2, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Be nice to see the big man get a rest midweek, give Gomez some minutes and have him fresh for City.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6062 on: November 2, 2019, 05:51:56 pm »
Be nice to see the big man get a rest midweek, give Gomez some minutes and have him fresh for City.

Was just thinking the same and came  on to post

Would think it’s a real possibility

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #6063 on: November 2, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »
Was just thinking the same and came  on to post

Would think it’s a real possibility
He hasn’t dropped off per se, but he’s playing virtually every minute and two mid week breaks in quick succession might benefit him.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6064 on: November 2, 2019, 06:02:25 pm »
He hasn’t dropped off per se, but he’s playing virtually every minute and two mid week breaks in quick succession might benefit him.

I think he’s below his levels in April / May, he’s still immense,  but he needs a rest like anyone else

Tuesday we should have 75% of the ball so it’s the game to do it for me

We also know he’ll play 180 mins for Holland unfortunately
« Last Edit: November 2, 2019, 06:21:45 pm by dudleyred »

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6065 on: November 4, 2019, 08:50:46 am »
yeah he had a few dodgy moments in that game, which stood out as it so rarely happens. Maybe he is tired; not ideal that Matip is injured right now
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6066 on: November 4, 2019, 09:35:42 am »
yeah he had a few dodgy moments in that game, which stood out as it so rarely happens.

What moments were those?

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6067 on: November 4, 2019, 09:39:02 am »
What moments were those?

Can only think the accidental tangling of legs when they were about to break and slipping and giving it away at one point..?

It’s weird how we are now looking at every minuscule action to find fault with him, as if we are expecting 100% flawless stats off him every game.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2019, 09:41:32 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6068 on: November 5, 2019, 10:06:52 pm »
Disappointed with the air kick.
Otherwise decent.
bollocks

Offline Legoland

• Kopite
« Reply #6069 on: November 5, 2019, 10:10:05 pm »
Disappointed with the air kick.
Otherwise decent.

Seemed back to himself tonight. Barring that one glaring error which nearly led to Genk's goal (second half around 80 minutes). Although I don't know if that was Gomez' poor positioning or if it was Van Dijk's poor covering. Should he have gone across or was that Gomez's responsibility to deal with?

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #6070 on: November 5, 2019, 10:51:24 pm »
Seemed back to himself tonight. Barring that one glaring error which nearly led to Genk's goal (second half around 80 minutes). Although I don't know if that was Gomez' poor positioning or if it was Van Dijk's poor covering. Should he have gone across or was that Gomez's responsibility to deal with?

Seemed like Gini lost his runner, to me
The change is cast

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6071 on: November 5, 2019, 11:18:23 pm »
Milner is going to have a field day with that volley he missed
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6072 on: November 6, 2019, 08:29:17 am »
Tha was a typical pressure, cover and balance situation. TAA was pressuring the ball, Gomez was covering, VVD and Milner should then be more compact with Gomez to offer balance.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6073 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:07 pm »

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
« Reply #6074 on: November 18, 2019, 10:03:50 pm »
Anyone know why he won't be playing in the Netherlands' final qualifying game? Will he be okay for Palace?
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6075 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:20 pm »
Anyone know why he won't be playing in the Netherlands' final qualifying game? Will he be okay for Palace?

UEFA have given him a bye, so he can be fit for Liverpool for Saturday as they're in on it as well.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6076 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:52 pm »

Dislocated his shoulder.

Whilst carrying Mane’s water bottles as he played in goal for Guinea.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6077 on: November 18, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »
Dislocated his shoulder.

Whilst carrying Mane’s water bottles as he played in goal for Guinea.

I heard a Claymore Landmine did for him. nudge nudge, wink wink , say no more
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
« Reply #6078 on: November 18, 2019, 10:12:01 pm »
Ooh, my ribs.
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA