Author Topic: Cycling in the City  (Read 1522 times)

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
Cycling in the City
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:13 am »
Kind of a spin off from the merseytravel thread

Got a bike given to me approx. a year ago now, old lump of a bike, but I've really got into getting out and about on it.  I live by the Mystery, so have been cycling the games which I love to do, and most Sunday mornings I try and get out and do a bit just to keep fit.  I've been cycling into town (smithdown/crown st/myrtle st) to the albert dock, then back along the river to st Michaels/lark lane and through sefton park, its about 15k in total.

we cycled from Halewood to southport along the n62 about a month ago and that was a brilliant day.

I'd love to see the cycling facilities improved in the city,  I just wanted to know what other rides people do in the city for enjoyment? Big rides or small.  anybody too scared to get on their bike on the roads?  are the city bikes just as bad as my old lump?
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cycling in the City
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »
Was just about to say the Ralla is great, but that is the N62 isn't it so you've done that!

City bikes are definitely old lumps. Had membership for them for a year then got myself a bike.

I like going to Crosby and back, big stretch on a main road but still quite nice and cycling along the beach path when you get there is nice.

Cycling to the match is brilliant, staff in the bike park have always been really lovely to me. Also great to speed away quickly while everyone else queuing for bus/queuing in the car park.

Keep meaning to investigate the Wirral but there's a river in the way...looked like some decent paths Widnes way but it's getting there, the Speke cycle path just peters out before the bridge and I never know what to do and just bottle it and turn round!

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:14:05 am »
Hop on a train (or the ferry if its running) and get off the other side and ride along the prom around the Wirral.

(The Wirral is good for cycling in general, lots of little lanes)

Go to Widnes on the Trans pennine trail (N62), then along the canal (still 62....) nice place to turn around is the pub half way.
The bit in Widnes is a bit confusing atm, but there are signs. Once you follow the path through Pickerings pasture, go under  the bridge and along the river to the Catalyst. You used to be able to go on the canal path there, and hopefully with the new bridge complete they will restore that, but for now you have to go onto the main road and off where the ice rink is. There's a path to get to the canal there. Its got two massive concrete blocks in front of it and looks like its going nowhere, but if you follow it there's a gated railway crossing and a bridge over the canal.

Follow the 62 out North to get to Southport without going on the road.

To be fair I do most of my cycling outside of town ;D

Oh, sustrans will have maps, and merseytravel might have some too. I picked a couple up for the different boroughs, but that was a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:15:42 am by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:26:34 am »
I go up parts of the Leeds-Liverpool canal fairly often, and have now started coming off and exploring some of the country lanes and paths around the Melling/Maghull area. Up the canal theres some nice pubs to stop off at. Running Horses and Scotch Piper in Lydiate, and the Ship, and Saracens Head among others, in the area between Southport and Ormskirk.