Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 308793 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2022, 06:22:30 pm »
He's 6' 4"

Not from these pics he's not, I'd say 6ft 2

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2022, 06:23:49 pm »
By the end of the day he's gonna be slower than Hyypia and will be 5th choice centre half as he's too slow to play anywhere else.

Certainly haven't thought slow when watching him! But I guess after Darwin everyone is now gonna be called slow.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2022, 06:24:56 pm »
Not from these pics he's not, I'd say 6ft 2

I was on about Virgil, Rob. Virgil is 6' 4". And yes Gakpo looks a little smaller than him in those pics, so I'd say 6' 2" is about right.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2022, 06:27:13 pm »
By the end of the day he's gonna be slower than Hyypia and will be 5th choice centre half as he's too slow to play anywhere else.

Certainly haven't thought slow when watching him! But I guess after Darwin everyone is now gonna be called slow.

He's not slow, he just isn't Salah or Nunez rapid. Watch some of his clips, once he gets into his stride with those big long legs, the oppo struggle to keep up.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2022, 06:27:38 pm »
I was on about Virgil, Rob. Virgil is 6' 4". And yes Gakpo looks a little smaller than him in those pics, so I'd say 6' 2" is about right.

I thought you meant Cody ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2022, 06:28:32 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool!

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2022, 06:29:22 pm »
He certainly doesnt look like a Klopp type winger either. Too slow, not sufficiently dangerous one on one. But obviously Klopp plans to play him somewhere. I think his size, passing, close control look like CM, plus his tackling numbers .
Harvey and Carvalho also came from more advanced roles.

Slow? He's not slow.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2022, 06:29:54 pm »
I thought you meant Cody ;D

I know. I realized that. ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2022, 06:30:40 pm »
He certainly doesnt look like a Klopp type winger either. Too slow, not sufficiently dangerous one on one. But obviously Klopp plans to play him somewhere. I think his size, passing, close control look like CM, plus his tackling numbers .
Harvey and Carvalho also came from more advanced roles.

Yes, these stats tell you his a #8.  :D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2022, 06:41:27 pm »
Check out the post-match thread from our away win at Salzburg. Some interesting scouting there  :)

Barely watched him myself. Just going off scouting reports, stats, and highlights. No one knows for sure what will happen, obviously, but we can make an educated guess. I don't see the upside that was evident when we signed Mane/Salah/Diaz and even Nunez. He simply doesn't match up athletically. Maybe he thrives as more of a creator type, but we've already seen a few players with that profile fail to make a consistent impact. Shaqiri and Minamino come to mind. Never really fit in our system despite being good players.
don't think Salah was rated particularly highly by many on here, Mané the same, many were underwhelmed by those signings as they were not first choice. If he turns out to be even half as good as those two he'll be an exceptional signing
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2022, 06:43:37 pm »
Journos are lazy bastards these days, really piss me off. This is from the BBC. 30 seconds on the PL Website would tell them that this season, the 1st and 2nd are classed as working days, so we can register him on the 1st by noon to have him eligible

Liverpool play Brentford on 2 January, although that game could come too soon for the paperwork to be sorted that would enable Gakpo to make his debut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64117885

All clubs have the ability to register new players to be eligible for Matchweek 19, which starts on 2 January 2023, as long as they submit the required completed documents by midday of the last working day before their match in that round. This season, 1-2 January 2023 are considered as working days

https://www.premierleague.com/news/102378#:~:text=All%20clubs%20have%20the%20ability,are%20considered%20as%20working%20days.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2022, 06:44:51 pm »
don't think Salah was rated particularly highly by many on here, Mané the same, many were underwhelmed by those signings as they were not first choice. If he turns out to be even half as good as those two he'll be an exceptional signing

Salah certainly not by me and Klopp wanted Brandt, the Transfer boys pushed the signing.

Mane I was made up with.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2022, 06:46:39 pm »
Salah certainly not by me and Klopp wanted Brandt, the Transfer boys pushed the signing.

Mane I was made up with.
yep which is why posters should trust our manager and scouting department with regard to transfers, particularly when they haven't really seen the player play
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2022, 06:49:58 pm »

When the links to Mane started here that summer, the negative reaction from a few was quite something, of course very funny looking back, they are lucky the old transfer forum is no more ;D   

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »

That was the perception at the time, you're right. But in hindsight they were a different class of signing - both were putting up elite or near-elite numbers in top leagues and both had elite pace and quickness with the dribbling ability to beat defenders 1 v 1.

That was reflected in the price too - accounting for transfer fee inflation they were much more expensive than Gakpo (and for good reason).

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2022, 06:56:06 pm »
The few things I've seen about Gakpo online are saying he's 6' 4''.

Maybe Virgil is standing on Evertonian hopes and dreams there, so looks a bit taller than he really is?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2022, 07:07:10 pm »
Yes, these stats ....

A bit special, those numbers.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2022, 07:09:54 pm »
The few things I've seen about Gakpo online are saying he's 6' 4''.

Maybe Virgil is standing on Evertonian hopes and dreams there, so looks a bit taller than he really is?

Wiki says he's 6' 4". Plenty of other sites say 6' 2". Certainly looks more like the latter than the former to me.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2022, 07:13:32 pm »
Journos are lazy bastards these days, really piss me off. This is from the BBC. 30 seconds on the PL Website would tell them that this season, the 1st and 2nd are classed as working days, so we can register him on the 1st by noon to have him eligible

Liverpool play Brentford on 2 January, although that game could come too soon for the paperwork to be sorted that would enable Gakpo to make his debut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64117885

All clubs have the ability to register new players to be eligible for Matchweek 19, which starts on 2 January 2023, as long as they submit the required completed documents by midday of the last working day before their match in that round. This season, 1-2 January 2023 are considered as working days

https://www.premierleague.com/news/102378#:~:text=All%20clubs%20have%20the%20ability,are%20considered%20as%20working%20days.

The BBC chatting wham about something Liverpool-related again. Now there is a shock.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2022, 07:14:21 pm »
Someone work some photoshop magic on this

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2022, 07:14:54 pm »

Slow? He's not slow.
For a Klopp attacker, he is though, especially first 5 yards. Put him next to Diaz, Salah, Mane, Nunez... 

I absolutely trust Klopp, I just think he will use Gakpo differently from Eindhoven. Klopp has reshaped lots of players.

Edit: Both Carvalho and Elliot were presented as front three players, to take two recent examples. In comparison, Gakpo looks more like a CM
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:22:45 pm by jepovic »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:38 pm »
Pretty sure some people tried to tell us Diaz and Nunez weren't that fast either  ;D

I might have even been one of them, probably better off waiting till we see him running down the wing for us to make up our minds.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2022, 07:27:08 pm »
Excellent tactical analysis on Gakpo. It's a top notch YouTube channel for stuff like this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OoO3-cicepc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OoO3-cicepc</a>

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2022, 07:29:27 pm »
For a Klopp attacker, he is though, especially first 5 yards. Put him next to Diaz, Salah, Mane, Nunez... 

I absolutely trust Klopp, I just think he will use Gakpo differently from Eindhoven. Klopp has reshaped lots of players.

Edit: Both Carvalho and Elliot were presented as front three players, to take two recent examples. In comparison, Gakpo looks more like a CM

There is nothing I have seen from him that makes me think he's got the tools to play in a Jurgen Klopp midfield. I saw you liken him to Gini before. Gini had a mad engine on him and was a physical beast who was robust enough to press like shit in midfield without hardly ever getting injured. I just don't see Gakpo ever being that type of player, nor do I understand why any body would even attempt to turn him into one.

Oh, and as for Elliot and Carvalho, I don't really see their transition from attack into midfield being a great success, as of yet. So he might look like a better option in midfield compared to those two. But it still doesn't make it a good reason to play him there.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2022, 07:32:59 pm »
Excellent tactical analysis on Gakpo. It's a top notch YouTube channel for stuff like this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OoO3-cicepc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OoO3-cicepc</a>

Cheers for that, 3 minutes in and I don't need to see him running down the wing for us. He's fairly rapid.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2022, 07:38:04 pm »
Cheers for that, 3 minutes in and I don't need to see him running down the wing for us. He's fairly rapid.

Of all the things to be concerned about, his pace shouldn't be one of them. He's no Nunez, but he's still got enough pace and directness about him to trouble defences.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2022, 07:41:08 pm »
That clip tells you he might not be Nunez level quick but he's not slow for fucks sakes.  ;D

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2022, 07:45:21 pm »

Nice video mate. Not sure why anyone would want to turn him into a midfielder with those attributes.

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2022, 07:54:09 pm »
Seen a few people mention this before and I don't agree our long-term plan for him is to turn him into a midfielder. I just don't see it.

Spot on. He ain't a midfielder, especially not a Klopp midfielder. Strange claims. He is a pure attacker
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2022, 07:59:00 pm »
I'm glad he signed for us, maybe not every transfer works out, but we don't sign idiots, wasters, or show ponies.

I love the stories about him taking on his own performance analyst to help him get better.

Looking forward to seeing Cody play for us, hoping he gets the (nearly normal) 25% Klopp performance boost!

Offline Eternalsungod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2022, 09:10:32 pm »
Gak-po ooh-oh
Time to worry
Gak-po ooh-oh
Time to worry now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c53Ii4irZY

:D
“These young players are our future. If we handle them like horses then we get horses.” Jürgen Klopp.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2022, 09:16:17 pm »
Chances are that at least one, but probably more than one of our last three signings, will become exceptional. If Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo reach their potential, what a future we have, even amongst the financial cheats maybe.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2022, 09:44:49 pm »
Chances are that at least one, but probably more than one of our last three signings, will become exceptional. If Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo reach their potential, what a future we have, even amongst the financial cheats maybe.
That prospect is both frightening and highly exciting.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2022, 12:52:06 am »
Just watched an 8 min video that showed me he was way way too good for the dutch league.  Which is cool.

So are we going to go gakpo darwin mo with bobby behind them?

yes please. id like to try that,  not forgetting the fullbacks

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2022, 03:23:07 am »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2022, 06:36:29 am »
Any chance he could moonlight on the RW if needed?.. looked at some of the info floating around and he does not seem to have played at all on the right?.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2022, 06:55:40 am »
Seems like a player with a skillset somewhere between Luis (more of a winger) and Jota (more of a striker).

Great always to bring depth to the team, especially with those two fellas out injured long term. Would be surprised if he isn't pick as the left forward despite everyone trying to claim he'll be a number ten or a striker or even a midfielder for us.

Lots of potential and very good to hear all the reports of how stable and mature he is for his age.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2022, 10:03:06 am »
Klopp doesn't miss with the type of signings so I'm not worried. Another goal threat for the opposition to worry about

As for Salah not being rated. That's a bit odd. We were heavily into him before he went to Chelsea and the rumours were he was ours if we didn't dick about. You only have to look at start of his thread to see the reaction to him coming here

In his time in Italy he scored 34 goals (no pens) in 83 games. I personally was begging for us to sign him but thought we wouldn't as that would mean two of our forwards would be away at AFCON a very 2 years.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2022, 10:24:32 am »
Gak-po ooh-oh
Time to worry
Gak-po ooh-oh
Time to worry now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c53Ii4irZY

:D

I knew those song words from my teenybopper days, I didn't even need to click the link ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2022, 12:23:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p35FvoNb1gc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p35FvoNb1gc</a>

Glad they made sure he has teeth.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.