Author Topic: Sheffield United Thread: Can they avoid relegation? Hopefully not.  (Read 38306 times)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
Argh the good old British tactic of running faster, longer further than your opponents rather than pesky old tactical systems those foreigners use.

That's exactly what I'd expect Hodgson or Allardyce to come out with.

That is a very uncharitable interpretation of what he said.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
They aren't, they play West Ham in the league next Friday. They play AFC Fylde in the cup on sunday I think.

They play Fylde in the cup on Sunday

Yes of course, my error, looking at the BBC site & they had Sheffield United v West Ham Friday, but didn't look at the date & comp. :-[
#Sausages

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Argh the good old British tactic of running faster, longer further than your opponents rather than pesky old tactical systems those foreigners use.

no its not you need to work hard if you want to achieve and he’s acknowledging that, put the best tactical system in place and if the players are half arsed it will fail

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
I thought he was talking more about how the prominent philosophy among a lot of younger academy coaches is that you can rely purely on your technical game to win things, and that technique and playing out from the back and playing through the thirds, and creativity, etc., are all you need. And what Wilder is pointing out is that the best team in the world HAS all that, but they are still competing for every first ball, every second ball, and getting overloads in both penalty areas before any of the other stuff happens. In other words, the fundamentals of hard work, pressing and defending, overloading the other team, putting the graft in and treating each opponent as if they are the best opponent you will ever face, is good enough for Liverpool, and should be good enough for everyone else as well.

Perhaps an indictment of the emphases in English coaching education, then...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Really? I was a fan of how they play and their tactics but I thought his interview after the game was quite poor.

"People talk about academy coaches and all this nonsense about tactics and technical stuff"

And he said it such a disrespectful and disparaging way, almost Hodgson or Allardycesq, like it was nothing to do with tactics but because they didn’t run more. Yes he gave us some nice praise but it was difficult not to.

Not sure about your interpretation mate. What he meant was that, tactics and all other stuff are secondary, and fight, hunger, focus, hard work and determination are primary. And he's not wrong though. On paper and on TV, football looks fancy, but on the pitch you smell sweat, blood and grass, and in order to perform in those conditions, you have to be brave. Red nose couple of weeks ago praised us for being brave to attack. And his teams were always like that too.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
What he was trying to express was that he not only admires us technically and tactically, but that our players have the humility to put in the work rate that's needed, as well. That's how I interpreted his not wholly coherent but definitely admiring ramblings afterwards.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan

How can you listen to an interview where an opposition manager, having lost 2-0, is saying he admires everything about the team that just beat him, and somehow interpret it to be akin to the likes of Allardyce and Hodgson?

Have you ever listened to either of those two when they've lost to us? Because you can count on one hand the number of times they haven't blamed it on officiating or some other ridiculous excuse.

The level of snobbery is ridiculous at times.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
It sounded to me like he was belittling academy coaches and all this ‘nonsense’ about tactics and technique and simplifying the game into who was prepared to run more and do the hard stuff.

I may be wrong but that’s how it came across to me.

I hope not as I know the Sheffield United academy manager

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It sounded to me like he was belittling academy coaches and all this ‘nonsense’ about tactics and technique and simplifying the game into who was prepared to run more and do the hard stuff.

I may be wrong but that’s how it came across to me.

You are.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
You are.

It came across like that to me also,the game itself is quite simple but you have to have the desire to do the graft,to earn the right to play i think he meant.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
It came across like that to me also,the game itself is quite simple but you have to have the desire to do the graft,to earn the right to play i think he meant.

That’s exactly what he meant.

Owen made the point after the game that the days of relying on ‘maverick’ style players who are excellent in possession but stroll around off it (to me it sounded like was describing Berbatov) are over, and to be honest he’s bang on the money.

One of the reasons why that prick Ibrahimovic has never won anything in Europe.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
Once again proving his class with that interview what a guy.

You had all these vacancies lately at top clubs and yet the fact he wasn't considered for any of them boggles the mind.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
Loving the banter between their fans and us, replying to 'We're champions of the world' with 'Champions of League One, You'll never sing that.' Hilarious. Nice shot of this at the end of the latest 'Inside...' episode on LFC TV, but it's not out free on YouTube yet.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2020, 02:30:06 am by Morgana »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Once again proving his class with that interview what a guy.

You had all these vacancies lately at top clubs and yet the fact he wasn't considered for any of them boggles the mind.
hes probably not interested in going right now to be honest

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Heard the interview. I'm astounded that anyone can see that that is anything less than a compliment to team.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
thats the point he’s making, instead of obsessing over different tactical systems to 7 year olds success in the game fundamentally comes down to effort and work rate

Except those skills are the absolute basics. Everyone doing well does them. You can't succeed without it. Maybe we do them a little more because our style puts those demands on us, especially the midfield. But we're the best in the world because we're the best coached side in the world and tactically absolutely phenomenal. His comments don't bother me and were no doubt 100% complimentary. He comes across as a proper sound bloke and interviews really well. but given how good Sheffield United are and the way they are also tactically well drilled I was really surprised by how disparaging to an element of coaching he was. He probably didn't mean it the way it came out and was just in awe of how physically strong we are in addition to everything else
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Except those skills are the absolute basics. Everyone doing well does them. You can't succeed without it. Maybe we do them a little more because our style puts those demands on us, especially the midfield. But we're the best in the world because we're the best coached side in the world and tactically absolutely phenomenal. His comments don't bother me and were no doubt 100% complimentary. He comes across as a proper sound bloke and interviews really well. but given how good Sheffield United are and the way they are also tactically well drilled I was really surprised by how disparaging to an element of coaching he was. He probably didn't mean it the way it came out and was just in awe of how physically strong we are in addition to everything else
i guess another way he could have said it was ‘youth coaches are obsessed with how good a seven year old is at rondos not the actual effort in becoming a player!’

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I thought he was talking more about how the prominent philosophy among a lot of younger academy coaches is that you can rely purely on your technical game to win things, and that technique and playing out from the back and playing through the thirds, and creativity, etc., are all you need. And what Wilder is pointing out is that the best team in the world HAS all that, but they are still competing for every first ball, every second ball, and getting overloads in both penalty areas before any of the other stuff happens. In other words, the fundamentals of hard work, pressing and defending, overloading the other team, putting the graft in and treating each opponent as if they are the best opponent you will ever face, is good enough for Liverpool, and should be good enough for everyone else as well.
That's how I read it.
It was a way to give his team a little nudge without coming across as harsh on them, as there's no shame in losing at Anfield.
But I suspect he felt his team might have worked a bit harder than they did. Praising Liverpool's work rate gets that point across.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51094939

Oli McBurnie: Sheffield United striker reminded of responsibilities for gesture
By Alistair Magowan

BBC Sport

1 hour agoFrom the sectionSheff Utd