Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 532407 times)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #2640 on: January 11, 2021, 11:52:39 am »
Maybe we will hasten the rise of the machines and have robot fruit pickers?

Do your farmers whinge as much as Australian ones at not being able to exploit workers from poorer nations?  Do they complain that local workers wont do the the job for below minimum wage?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2641 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:50 am »
Any news on these glorious opportunities yet, all the news I hear seems to be about trying to survive.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2642 on: January 11, 2021, 12:07:15 pm »
Do your farmers whinge as much as Australian ones at not being able to exploit workers from poorer nations?  Do they complain that local workers wont do the the job for below minimum wage?

I would imagine, that farmers whinge everywhere. We have a joke here in Austria: Why do farmers always buy shoes for their kids that are two numbers too small? So, they get used to constantly whinging. ;)

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2643 on: January 11, 2021, 12:12:47 pm »
Any news on these glorious opportunities yet, all the news I hear seems to be about trying to survive.

"Exporting un-pierced pig's ears to China" if I recall correctly Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove's sales pitch  ;)
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2644 on: January 11, 2021, 01:26:11 pm »
"Exporting un-pierced pig's ears to China" if I recall correctly Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove's sales pitch  ;)
I wish we could export a few Pigs Ears starting with Johnson,Gove,all the ERG+Frottage.
I thought the Tories would be holding up the Japan trade deal we've just signed as proof of Brexit being a success in the future, it's they only trade deal we've managed to negotiate ourselves since Brexit. all brushed under the carpet. why?  this really is a wake up call already.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #2645 on: January 11, 2021, 03:30:57 pm »
Believer

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2646 on: January 11, 2021, 03:53:30 pm »
But the finger will be pointed squarely at covid absentees for not stocking the shelves, not at lack of produce. no siree.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2647 on: January 11, 2021, 07:35:30 pm »
On the one hand you could say it's sort of nitpicking - after all the sandwiches were probably done in the same way as two weeks ago and it was perfectly fine to bring them back then, but on the other hand:
 :lmao :lmao :lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/dutch-officials-seize-ham-sandwiches-from-british-drivers

And the customs officer going "Welcome to Brexit, Sir. I'm sorry" while laughing. Should have added 'you brought that entirely on yourselves'.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2648 on: January 11, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »
On the one hand you could say it's sort of nitpicking - after all the sandwiches were probably done in the same way as two weeks ago and it was perfectly fine to bring them back then, but on the other hand:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/dutch-officials-seize-ham-sandwiches-from-british-drivers

And the customs officer going "Welcome to Brexit, Sir. I'm sorry" while laughing. Should have added 'you brought that entirely on yourselves'.

Its funny that its gone to that level, but there is a very serious side in that the European Tramper drivers, either UK or EU nationals, will take their food with them and they really cannot afford the cost of having anything up to 2 or 3 weeks worth of food taken off them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2649 on: January 11, 2021, 08:35:38 pm »
Its funny that its gone to that level, but there is a very serious side in that the European Tramper drivers, either UK or EU nationals, will take their food with them and they really cannot afford the cost of having anything up to 2 or 3 weeks worth of food taken off them.
This is absolutely no fun for the professional tramper drivers and it's a shitty situation, my lol was not for them. It rather is for the utter absurdity of the situation. If you had told me twenty or even ten years ago it would come to this, I would have said 'nah', not even with the UK always having been more EU sceptic than the other member states. However, food being taken away hopefully happens only once to each person, no? I mean, next time everyone should know the new rules and bring only cookies, but buy meat sandwiches or dairy in the UK or the EU, depending on where you go to/leave from.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2650 on: January 11, 2021, 08:59:28 pm »
This is absolutely no fun for the professional tramper drivers and it's a shitty situation, my lol was not for them. It rather is for the utter absurdity of the situation. If you had told me twenty or even ten years ago it would come to this, I would have said 'nah', not even with the UK always having been more EU sceptic than the other member states. However, food being taken away hopefully happens only once to each person, no? I mean, next time everyone should know the new rules and bring only cookies, but buy meat sandwiches or dairy in the UK or the EU, depending on where you go to/leave from.

Oh I get you were loling at the situation, less red tape, taking back control etc etc. It's like one of those sketches you'd see on Not the 9 o'clock news that you'd laugh at the absurdity of, how did this ever become real life.

I hope there is a cheap supermarket with space for at least 120 trucks to park near to Calais.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2651 on: January 11, 2021, 10:01:42 pm »
Apparently the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is going to be replaced by a Global health insurance card (GHIC). It has exactly the same range of countries, ie the EU, plus the UK.

"World series" springs to mind. :lmao

...but really glad the E/GHIC continues!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2652 on: January 11, 2021, 10:15:32 pm »

Not surprising. Drive from Canada into the U.S. and U.S. customs will toss your fruit, sandwiches everything. Even Florida oranges

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2653 on: January 11, 2021, 10:17:37 pm »
Apparently the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is going to be replaced by a Global health insurance card (GHIC). It has exactly the same range of countries, ie the EU, plus the UK.

Technically you wont be able to use it in Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland as those countries were covered on the EHIC as extension countries to the EU. We are not in the EU so won't have access.

I still call it the E111 form anyway :P

Plus it will still be used as a bargaining chip to be taken away at any time the EU feels like it
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:21:18 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #2654 on: January 11, 2021, 10:19:28 pm »

It’s good that the cover will continue, but if it’s going to cover exactly the same health care and countries, then what a waste of time, money and not to mention all the extra plastic that will be used just to create all the new cards for the sake of renaming it!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:02:44 am by jonnypb »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2655 on: January 12, 2021, 10:15:33 am »
BBC piece on the various types of British citizens living in Spain impacted by Brexit

Notably

The last few weeks have seen a frenetic period of adjustment, and change, with people leaving Spain for good, and others replacing them before the rules for residency changed.

"Our removal companies have never been busier. Every removal company across this coast has told our team they've never seen a situation like this," says Michel Euesden from Rochdale. She runs the Euro Weekly newspaper in Fuengirola, a paper that provides news for Brits living here.

"It's the first time in 25 years since we started the paper here that we've seen removal companies fully booked going out and coming back in.

"They are taking the elderly and people who haven't had jobs for a while, because of the Covid situation, back to the UK, and then they're bringing back younger generations with disposable income, and often with an online marketing presence, out here. So the dynamics have completely changed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-55617849?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2656 on: January 12, 2021, 10:34:57 am »
We're having to make all kinds of software and database table changes now for what tariffs apply to our hire and resale stock, but we don't know exactly what we need to do as our finance department still don't know what exactly will apply to us and the useless Govt can't tell us :butt

Piece of piss this reverting back to the 1950's shit.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2657 on: January 12, 2021, 07:19:28 pm »
A surprise the who exactly, the gammons?

Brexit: Five surprising consequences

While the UK government had been warning of some disruption to trade as the new UK-EU relationship began at the beginning of 2021, some of the consequences seem to have taken people by surprise.

Here are five of the outcomes that have been in the news so far this year.

1. Ham sandwiches confiscated
UK lorry drivers filmed at the Dutch border appeared surprised to have had their sandwiches confiscated.

They had just disembarked from a ferry to the Hook of Holland.

Trade restrictions cover not only the items in the back of the lorry.

UK government guidance says: "Drivers travelling to the EU should be aware of additional restrictions to personal imports.

"You cannot bring POAO (products of an animal origin) such as those containing meat or dairy (eg a ham-and-cheese sandwich) into the EU."

2. Deliveries to Northern Ireland suspended
There has been confusion about customs declarations on parcels going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, with some retailers, such as John Lewis, suspending deliveries.

"There is significant cause for concern from both businesses and consumers," Northern Ireland Economy Minister Diane Dodds wrote in a letter to the UK government.

Goods going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland - which are deemed to be at risk of ending up in the Republic of Ireland - may have to pay a tariff.

And either way, a customs declaration may be needed to say what the final destination is.

On New Year's Eve, the UK government announced a grace period that meant parcels valued at less than Ł135, going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, would not need customs declarations until at least April.

But there still seems to be confusion among some retailers.

3. Tariffs charged on Ghana bananas
While the UK government managed to roll over most of the third-country trade deals it had as part of the EU, that did not include Ghana's.

Labour MP Gareth Thomas told the Commons on Monday: "The government's dismal treatment of Ghana - a key Commonwealth ally - is particularly surprising," criticising the UK negotiators for turning up to talks late and poorly briefed, meaning no deal had been done.

He added the upshot of the failure to do a deal was cocoa, tuna and bananas arriving in the UK faced heavy tariffs (or import taxes), with that already having happened to two shipments.

Last week, the first of those shipments was mentioned in the House of Lords, after it emerged a tariff of Ł17,500 had been charged at Portsmouth on bananas from Ghana.

4. Cannabis oil prescriptions not recognised
Parents of children with severe epilepsy said they had no longer been able to cash their prescriptions for a particular medicinal cannabis oil from the Netherlands.

Bedrocan oils used to be dispensed in the Netherlands against UK prescriptions.

But Hannah Deacon, whose campaign to have the oil prescribed for her son, Alfie Dingley, helped bring about the legalisation of medicinal cannabis in the UK, told BBC News her prescription was now "not recognised" by the Dutch authorities.

The health secretary told BBC News he was working with the Dutch government and the Home Office to find a solution.

But Ms Deacon criticised the UK government for not having engaged with the Dutch earlier.

5. Scottish seafood held up at borders

Scottish seafood exporters say their shipments to the EU are being held up by red tape in both Scotland and France.

The Scottish Seafood Association said the delays were due to the need to check entire trailers rather than just samples.

Lorries had been backlogged in Boulogne, it said.

And the situation was likely to worsen as traffic increased.

Delays in Scotland, meanwhile, are due to the time it takes to secure an export-health certificate for both wild and farmed salmon.

The UK government said it was aware of "a small number of issues... due to some information not being entered correctly into UK and French systems".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55633632

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2658 on: January 12, 2021, 07:23:34 pm »
Gammons will just blame it on foreigners.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2659 on: January 12, 2021, 07:31:00 pm »
Gammons will just blame it on foreigners.

Comments on a BBC article today saying the EU was just picking on the UK when they took the food off the drivers, wouldn't have it that they were just enforcing the rules they always have and that we do the same to arrivals from overseas. :butt

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2660 on: January 12, 2021, 10:46:52 pm »
I know it's harsh on your colleagues Rob. But I can't help smirk at the notion of European officials, just sniggering as they impound the sandwiches.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #2661 on: January 13, 2021, 07:06:12 am »

We hear all about the poor farmer and yes there are some poor hill farmers who struggle I suppose.
But twats like Dyson who farm on an industrial scale, and the large aristocratic landowners who still own most of The U.K. don’t.
Most of Scotland is owned by these landed gentry types, and the Royal Family is one of them
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #2662 on: January 13, 2021, 07:08:22 am »

Given the speed at which the likes of Hannan want restrictions and protective laws rolled back, it won’t be long before they are confiscating chlorinated chicken
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2663 on: January 13, 2021, 08:19:51 am »
It's important to note that the fisherman in the west coast of Scotland are mostly inshore creelers catching shellfish, who are unaffected by quotas as they fish in side the EEZ, meaning they didn't really have any issue with the CFP. They are utterly dependent on the single market as we just don't eat much shellfish in the UK. There isn't much in the way of polling of them but they are believed to have been mostly remainers.

It is the large trawlers operating out of Peterhead etc in the North East that were more for Brexit.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2664 on: January 13, 2021, 08:23:53 am »
I know it's harsh on your colleagues Rob. But I can't help smirk at the notion of European officials, just sniggering as they impound the sandwiches.

I met quite a few who voted Leave, so I laugh at any of those who had their sarnies impounded ;D

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2665 on: January 14, 2021, 03:33:23 am »
Fisheries minister did not read Brexit bill as she was busy at nativity

PM stands by Victoria Prentis over admission she was too ‘busy’ to read deal, as SNP calls for resignation

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fisheries-minister-admits-not-reading-brexit-bill-as-she-was-at-nativity

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2666 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:34 am »
It's important to note that the fisherman in the west coast of Scotland are mostly inshore creelers catching shellfish, who are unaffected by quotas as they fish in side the EEZ, meaning they didn't really have any issue with the CFP. They are utterly dependent on the single market as we just don't eat much shellfish in the UK. There isn't much in the way of polling of them but they are believed to have been mostly remainers.

It is the large trawlers operating out of Peterhead etc in the North East that were more for Brexit.
Apparently it's the French customs people. It's too hard so they've just quit. It's hard enough finding logistics companies to move the shellfish, but they've found a way to get it to France. Now it's just sitting there. It's more of a teething problem , and an issue created because the EU side weren't prepared, but it might be indicative of the kinds of problems we are going to face.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2667 on: January 14, 2021, 06:01:16 am »
Wow... There's no point trying to explain is there?
(Quoted from a linked in post about the sage accounts system)
What I fail to understand is why we are still paying VAT. When it was introduced  the reason given was that it was the European tax that we had to pay for being a member of the EEC. The EEC  transitioned to the EU and we are out of the EU. So why are we still paying their Tax.

Offline ScandinavianPete

• Main Stander
« Reply #2668 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:16 am »
What I fail to understand is why we are still paying VAT. When it was introduced  the reason given was that it was the European tax that we had to pay for being a member of the EEC. The EEC  transitioned to the EU and we are out of the EU. So why are we still paying their Tax.

You just had another version of it before. Taxing consumption and wages is better than a single tax on either to stop tax dodging so it probably won't go away. Maybe it will be a blue passport move to rename it though.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2669 on: January 14, 2021, 09:47:51 am »
Apparently it's the French customs people. It's too hard so they've just quit. It's hard enough finding logistics companies to move the shellfish, but they've found a way to get it to France. Now it's just sitting there. It's more of a teething problem , and an issue created because the EU side weren't prepared, but it might be indicative of the kinds of problems we are going to face.

I lost a lot of the sympathy I had for the guy who has been on the news (Loch Fyne Langoustines Ltd), as it turns out he was in fact a full blown Brexiter, going by all the things he had been tweeting and retweeting.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2670 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:41 pm »

VAT was never that. It's a regressive tax, which takes no account of the payer's income. Successive governments have shifted taxation focus away from direct, progressive taxes (like Income Tax) and towards indirect, regressive taxation (VAT, duties, etc)

A few years ago, a study commissioned by the Lib Dems showed that, since 1979, the burden of taxation had effectively been shunted from the the very richest onto the poorest third of people. The poorest third now paid a higher proportion of their income in taxation than the richest 1%

And the vast majority of the richest 1% don't even pay their theoretical tax burden, using all sorts of loopholes to dodge paying their fair share of tax.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2671 on: January 14, 2021, 12:55:57 pm »
The below picture is on a James O'Brien Tweet. I'm unsure of the actual newspaper, but if it needs to be removed because it's from a certain shitrag, please do so.

The point is that it's a great illustration of the gaslighting through right-wing media lies that has been ongoing since the 80's.

As we know, Switzerland is in the Single Market, so enjoys the benefits of that - which includes free movement of people and goods. The writer of the article knows this. Their editor knows this. But millions of flagshagging freaks don't bother with facts and lap-up this sort of right-wing propaganda.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:58:21 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2672 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »

VAT was never that. It's a regressive tax, which takes no account of the payer's income. Successive governments have shifted taxation focus away from direct, progressive taxes (like Income Tax) and towards indirect, regressive taxation (VAT, duties, etc)

A few years ago, a study commissioned by the Lib Dems showed that, since 1979, the burden of taxation had effectively been shunted from the the very richest onto the poorest third of people. The poorest third now paid a higher proportion of their income in taxation than the richest 1%

And the vast majority of the richest 1% don't even pay their theoretical tax burden, using all sorts of loopholes to dodge paying their fair share of tax.

I was thinking about this yesterday with regards to the furore over the lunch packages.

The Tory lot were of course tweeting 'I bet they smoke cigarettes and have big TVs etc.', you know, the usual shite.

But even if that bullshit was true, and they spent all their money on 'wrong' things, them buying cigs and whatever contributes to the UK tax pot, a not insignificant amount as well when you think of the price of cigs these days, via VAT. Which makes them deserving of receipt of some of the tax back in the form of government assistance. So really, as ever, Tory c*nts can fuck off.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2673 on: January 14, 2021, 12:58:54 pm »

Although if they consume - and presumably they consume more than most - they can't dodge those taxes. Maybe a luxury VAT band would be an answer, with all children's clothes exempt? 25% on a luxury car, nothing on a teenager's school uniform.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2674 on: January 14, 2021, 01:03:26 pm »
Although if they consume - and presumably they consume more than most - they can't dodge those taxes. Maybe a luxury VAT band would be an answer, with all children's clothes exempt? 25% on a luxury car, nothing on a teenager's school uniform.

Their VAT contributions are still not proportionate to their income to the extent of that of your average person.

They also pay far less of a proportion of their income on things like alcohol duty, fuel duty, etc, and their Council Tax bill is capped at 3x the bill of the lowest band.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2675 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:56 pm »
I was thinking about this yesterday with regards to the furore over the lunch packages.

The Tory lot were of course tweeting 'I bet they smoke cigarettes and have big TVs etc.', you know, the usual shite.

But even if that bullshit was true, and they spent all their money on 'wrong' things, them buying cigs and whatever contributes to the UK tax pot, a not insignificant amount as well when you think of the price of cigs these days, via VAT. Which makes them deserving of receipt of some of the tax back in the form of government assistance. So really, as ever, Tory c*nts can fuck off.
Isn't it an acceptable stat that low income families and those on benefits pay everything they get back into the economy due to not having any left to save?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2676 on: January 14, 2021, 01:15:52 pm »
The below picture is on a James O'Brien Tweet. I'm unsure of the actual newspaper, but if it needs to be removed because it's from a certain shitrag, please do so.

The point is that it's a great illustration of the gaslighting through right-wing media lies that has been ongoing since the 80's.

As we know, Switzerland is in the Single Market, so enjoys the benefits of that - which includes free movement of people and goods. The writer of the article knows this. Their editor knows this. But millions of flagshagging freaks don't bother with facts and lap-up this sort of right-wing propaganda.

:butt

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2677 on: January 14, 2021, 01:33:28 pm »

Wonder why the the rags/media no longer focus on any Brexit related ‘benefits’.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2678 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:39 pm »

And in the case of Switzerland, the 'without a hitch' part is untrue anyway, even being within the Single Market. I see the huge cues of lorries when I cross the border there.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157419

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44054594
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2679 on: January 14, 2021, 01:57:14 pm »

Their VAT contributions are still not proportionate to their income to the extent of that of your average person.

They also pay far less of a proportion of their income on things like alcohol duty, fuel duty, etc, and their Council Tax bill is capped at 3x the bill of the lowest band.
I don't disagree with you at all. I'd just like to find a way to make them pay a little more while the world decides if it's going to clamp down on tax havens and tax avoidance.