Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 531906 times)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #2680 on: January 14, 2021, 01:58:04 pm »
And in the case of Switzerland, the 'without a hitch' part is untrue anyway, even being within the Single Market. I see the huge cues of lorries when I cross the border there.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157419

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44054594

Correct. I live close to the Austrian-Swiss border and in my neighbour village there's a big train terminal that also has a customs station. Lorry drivers can get their paperwork done there and then proceed to the actual border to cross it (and I think they just have to quickly show or scan the paperwork without getting out of their vehicle, but I'm not really clued up how the process works in detail). There are traffic jams on a regular basis especially in the morning hours and even at the various border crossings there can be chaos at times because of all the lorries. It's often made worse in the morning or afternoon because we have loads of people working in Switzerland and they have to cross the border as well. There usually are no checks (but there can be and now with Covid they're even stricter), but it's just the sheer number of vehicles trying to cross that causes an issue. So yeah, "without a hitch" is definitely not true. You can bring dairy or meat products though... ;)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2681 on: January 14, 2021, 02:11:44 pm »
Correct. I live close to the Austrian-Swiss border and in my neighbour village there's a big train terminal that also has a customs station. Lorry drivers can get their paperwork done there and then proceed to the actual border to cross it (and I think they just have to quickly show or scan the paperwork without getting out of their vehicle, but I'm not really clued up how the process works in detail). There are traffic jams on a regular basis especially in the morning hours and even at the various border crossings there can be chaos at times because of all the lorries. It's often made worse in the morning or afternoon because we have loads of people working in Switzerland and they have to cross the border as well. There usually are no checks (but there can be and now with Covid they're even stricter), but it's just the sheer number of vehicles trying to cross that causes an issue. So yeah, "without a hitch" is definitely not true. You can bring dairy or meat products though... ;)
And, it is a hell of lot easier to manage land border checks compared with ports. It is relatively easy to add additional crossing points if required. Whereas the number of (suitable) ports is limited (certainly true in the UK).
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2682 on: January 14, 2021, 03:41:20 pm »
Dead fish, rotting in ports, are better and happier because they're now "British", and that's all that matters.

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1349691270634106882?s=20

I mean, no-one knows if they're better because nobody will have the chance to eat them.  As for happier, fish have no concept of nationality, they only really care about being in the water.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #2683 on: January 14, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
Dead fish, rotting in ports, are better and happier because they're now "British", and that's all that matters.

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1349691270634106882?s=20

I mean, no-one knows if they're better because nobody will have the chance to eat them.  As for happier, fish have no concept of nationality, they only really care about being in the water.

Believer

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2684 on: January 14, 2021, 05:43:13 pm »
I lost a lot of the sympathy I had for the guy who has been on the news (Loch Fyne Langoustines Ltd), as it turns out he was in fact a full blown Brexiter, going by all the things he had been tweeting and retweeting.
You still have some though?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2685 on: January 14, 2021, 07:07:54 pm »
You still have some though?

I have sympathy for the communities... without seafood fishing there isn't much left other that tourism in terms of industry in these areas, and tourism causes a lot of problems.

Also I really fucking love shellfish (unlike most people in the UK unfortunately) and appreciate being able to buy good quality produce direct from the local fish processors here in Aberdeen.... it would be a shame if they all went bust.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2686 on: January 14, 2021, 07:18:08 pm »
I have sympathy for the communities... without seafood fishing there isn't much left other that tourism in terms of industry in these areas, and tourism causes a lot of problems.

Also I really fucking love shellfish (unlike most people in the UK unfortunately) and appreciate being able to buy good quality produce direct from the local fish processors here in Aberdeen.... it would be a shame if they all went bust.

Scots are now seeking compo from Government (UK).  But government responds that it is ‘teething problems’.  Guess that’s ok then.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2687 on: January 14, 2021, 07:32:26 pm »
Scots are now seeking compo from Government (UK).  But government responds that it is ‘teething problems’.  Guess that’s ok then.

Did you see that the fisheries minister admitted she didn't even read the fishing part of the deal because it was on Christmas eve and she was doing the nativity play?  :no

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2688 on: January 14, 2021, 07:40:18 pm »
Did you see that the fisheries minister admitted she didn't even read the fishing part of the deal because it was on Christmas eve and she was doing the nativity play?  :no

Seen that and noted Johnson is standing by her.  Not exactly a surprise that.  Just another example of incompetence.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2689 on: January 14, 2021, 07:45:54 pm »
How bloody shellfish can you get.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2690 on: January 14, 2021, 10:07:06 pm »
How bloody shellfish can you get.
It's a load off pollocks. Leaving all those shellfish languistine in the back of a trailer.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2691 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:53 pm »
I was thinking about this yesterday with regards to the furore over the lunch packages.

The Tory lot were of course tweeting 'I bet they smoke cigarettes and have big TVs etc.', you know, the usual shite.

But even if that bullshit was true, and they spent all their money on 'wrong' things, them buying cigs and whatever contributes to the UK tax pot, a not insignificant amount as well when you think of the price of cigs these days, via VAT. Which makes them deserving of receipt of some of the tax back in the form of government assistance. So really, as ever, Tory c*nts can fuck off.

Kevin Bridges sums it all up really well. The whole clip is boss but from about 4 minutes on... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrfjDfL0fxQ

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2692 on: January 14, 2021, 11:05:47 pm »
FT

Unsurprising they're putting ideas to businesses to see what will get support there first. Unsurprising that workers' rights are on the menu. From what I understand of the legal side of it, reading the boffins, it may prove pretty difficult for the EU to enforce agreements were the Tories to head to the bottom because of needing to prove X resulted in Y.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: January 14, 2021, 11:28:31 pm »
FT

Unsurprising they're putting ideas to businesses to see what will get support there first. Unsurprising that workers' rights are on the menu. From what I understand of the legal side of it, reading the boffins, it may prove pretty difficult for the EU to enforce agreements were the Tories to head to the bottom because of needing to prove X resulted in Y.

What a surprise (not).  Not even halfway through month 1 and so it begins.

May be an early call for the independent arbitrator, whichever body that may be.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2694 on: January 14, 2021, 11:56:13 pm »
FT

People were warned where this would go. the Tories won't dirty their hands taking away workers rights, this is something for the companies and the workers themselves to sort out, if workers decide to give up some of these rights voluntary to make their companies more efficient and improve job security then that's not this Tory governments fault is it. :butt :butt
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:58:07 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2695 on: January 15, 2021, 12:09:46 am »
Kevin Bridges sums it all up really well. The whole clip is boss but from about 4 minutes on... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrfjDfL0fxQ

Kevin Bridges is the best comic around at the moment.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #2696 on: January 15, 2021, 06:56:27 am »
Brexit: No plans to dilute workers' rights, minister says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55656593

Yet another Old Etonian gobshite assures the nation that he isn’t an old Etonian gobshite but actually Father Christmas
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2697 on: January 15, 2021, 08:22:29 am »
Brexit: No plans to dilute workers' rights, minister says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55656593

Yet another Old Etonian gobshite assures the nation that he isn’t an old Etonian gobshite but actually Father Christmas

The Working Class love an Old Etonian lying to them and fucking them over!  A nation of Cap Doffers!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2698 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:54 am »
FT

What a shocker  ::)

I watched a bit of Victorian Slums on BBC4 the other day.  They really should've advertised it as the end game of current Tory policy.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: January 15, 2021, 08:32:28 am »
Looks like the fish of this country will be better and happier as they sit their, rotting away in our ports.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2700 on: January 15, 2021, 08:48:28 am »
The Working Class love an Old Etonian lying to them and fucking them over!  A nation of Cap Doffers!

An Old Etonian, particularly with a Classics degree and who indulges in a bit of slang, is a Cap Doffers wet dream.

Mrs Cap Doffer on the other hand gets all excites with news about our Germanic/Danish Royal family.

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #2701 on: January 15, 2021, 10:21:13 am »
Kevin Bridges is the best comic around at the moment.

Yeah he's spot on in that clip. But it takes a lot to outdo Stewart Lee.

https://youtu.be/uovt1sC3rtM

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2702 on: January 15, 2021, 10:27:47 am »
Brexit Britain through the eyes of a Polish Truck Driver

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1349784018628259841

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: January 15, 2021, 10:36:55 am »
Brexit Britain through the eyes of a Polish Truck Driver

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1349784018628259841

Mere ‘teething problems’ say this con-artist government that are in administration for at least another 4 years.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2704 on: January 15, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »
Mere ‘teething problems’ say this con-artist government that are in administration for at least another 4 years.

I hope these c*nts who voted in a Tory "to get Brexit done" are happy with what they got and I hope they fucking suffer more than anyone.

General election 2019: How Labour's 'red wall' turned blue https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50771014
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2705 on: January 15, 2021, 12:43:29 pm »
Some Fisher people yesterday on the news saying they voted Brexit but ask them in three weeks if they still back it.

Thanks for ruining a long standing relationship on the whim of promises made by lying scum.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2706 on: January 15, 2021, 01:32:04 pm »
The "end of the seafood industry" on the south coast of England could be caused by post-Brexit export problems, a Dorset fish merchant has said.

Charlie Samways said extra paperwork and IT issues mean perishable seafood exports from West Bay were taking twice as long to reach customers in the EU.

As a third country outside the European Customs Union, UK exports are subject to new customs and veterinary checks.

The government said it was in contact with the industry to address issues.

Mr Samways, whose family has operated in West Bay for 60 years, buys seafood from 150 local fishermen, much of which is exported to customers in France, Spain and Italy.

He said goods were taking up to 48 hours to reach customers, while his previous promise had been "port to plate in 24 hours".

"The majority of our seafood is exported - if customers don't feel confident, those markets will come to a halt and it will be devastating to local fishermen," he said.

"If no action is taken this may well be the last weeks of the UK seafood industry as we know it - it simply can't be allowed to happen."

PM hails post-Brexit free trade deal with EU
    Seafood exports 'held up by post-Brexit rules'
    Shell fishing fleet wants Brexit help

Mr Samways has written to MPs highlighting issues with commodity checks not being recognised, IT issues and delays at the French border.

Dorset West MP Chris Loder said new trading arrangements had "teething troubles".

"Overall we are on the right pathway of taking full control of our waters and for our UK fishing industry to thrive as it should have done many years ago," he added.

In a statement, the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) said: "We are working closely with the industry to help understand and address the issues they are experiencing."

In 2019, the UK fishing industry exported more than 333,000 tonnes of fish to the EU. That accounts for nearly half of the total catch of the UK fishing fleet and roughly three quarters of total fish exports from the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-55662704

More turkeys!!

Fuck em!!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: January 15, 2021, 01:35:22 pm »
Them and farmers are the biggest bunch of moaners around. Just get on with it.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2708 on: January 15, 2021, 02:00:37 pm »
Looks like the fish of this country will be better and happier as they sit their, rotting away in our ports.

Monty Python solved this years ago, delivery by Swallows. Two swallows or swan if a particular fish is heavier than coconut.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2709 on: January 15, 2021, 02:58:25 pm »
I see Starmer broke a leadership campaign promise on freedom of movement on Marr last Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/keir-starmer-accepts-end-of-eu-free-movement-in-brexit-reversal

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2710 on: January 15, 2021, 07:52:18 pm »
I hope these c*nts who voted in a Tory "to get Brexit done" are happy with what they got and I hope they fucking suffer more than anyone.

General election 2019: How Labour's 'red wall' turned blue https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50771014

How will they 'suffer' though? And how will make any connection to it being because of Brexit?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2711 on: January 15, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
I see Starmer broke a leadership campaign promise on freedom of movement on Marr last Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/keir-starmer-accepts-end-of-eu-free-movement-in-brexit-reversal

He sees it as a vote winner.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2712 on: January 15, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
How will they 'suffer' though? And how will make any connection to it being because of Brexit?

I don't really care how they suffer.

These places have been getting fucked over by the Tories for as long as I can remember, mining towns were royally shafted by the witch, how could they ever believe something proposed by the Tories was in their best interests and turn an elect a Tory MP?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2713 on: January 15, 2021, 08:19:37 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-55662704

More turkeys!!

Fuck em!!
This come under Goves there will be winners and losers category, there will be some exciting glorious opportunities for us ahead.
Nothing we can do about it now.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2714 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:19 pm »
This come under Goves there will be winners and losers category, there will be some exciting glorious opportunities for us ahead.
Nothing we can do about it now.

When Frottage said The Turkeys voted for Christmas, it went over most Brexiteers heads. Now they might be getting an idea what it means

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2715 on: January 15, 2021, 08:54:03 pm »
When Frottage said The Turkeys voted for Christmas, it went over most Brexiteers heads. Now they might be getting an idea what it means
Maybe but am sure many will sit and listen to the Tory speeches at the next election and like what they hear and vote for them and on it continues till the next election..
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2716 on: January 15, 2021, 08:56:37 pm »
British fishermen have accused Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson of dishonesty and betrayal over his Brexit fishing deal.

An angry letter from the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations accuses him of submitting to a “neo-colonial relationship with the EU on fish for long into the future”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/you-misled-us-over-brexit-deal-angry-fishermen-tell-johnson-90cng8xcf?shareToken=fc8cfc122fbd991541caade42d2a6e30

Scottish fishermen have resorted to sailing to Denmark to land their catch as Brexit red tape continues to delay exports, an industry body has said.

The Scottish Fishermen's Federation, which campaigned to leave the EU, also said the Brexit trade deal was the worst of both worlds for the industry.

Many fishermen "now fear for their future", it said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55669168

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2717 on: January 15, 2021, 09:06:06 pm »
I don't really care how they suffer.

These places have been getting fucked over by the Tories for as long as I can remember, mining towns were royally shafted by the witch, how could they ever believe something proposed by the Tories was in their best interests and turn an elect a Tory MP?

'They' don't think that way though, they've been told for many years now that most of their problems have been caused by the EU, its been a constant nagging narrative that they completely agree with now. Despite the theme of this thread about the EU being perfect, it is far from it and some of the criticisms are valid. The problem is that any negatives have been amplified in the media to the point where they've actually made people angry, whilst the positives have been surpressed. A systematic long term media campaign which has shaped the opinion of ill informed voters.

It seems to have been happening forever, I think back to Thatcher's time and the campaign against British Rail to privatise a national industry because it was 'inefficent'. It wasn't, in fact it was the most efficient in the world, efficiencies gained from the synergies you get from national companies. Much like we get with the NHS e.g. shared MRI scanners etc. The result of the BR privatisation is that the taxpayer sees no benefit and still has to subsidise the railways, the passengers fares go up whilst paying for a shitter service and the staff wages go down. Oh and the UK manufacture of rolling stock pretty much ceases with massive job losses whilst the shareholders make a profit regardless of the ecomonic climate.

So thirty years on after the BR Engineering centres have closed and we have to import Locos manufacturered in Spain of all places, the average joe public in the street won't be aware of those government decisions, some will blame it on the EU - the governemnt gets away with it again! I had a conversation with a Brexiter last week about his beef with Europe, some which I get, but many I think are resolvable. Anyway it got me thinking about this and I said to him that he's fallen for the propaganda that everything is Europe's fault and its allowed the UK government to take no responsibilty.

My prediction is that nothing will change, despite any hardship's people endure as a direct result of Brexit, people won't see it and the blame will be placed fairly and squarely on the EU and Europe fuelled by the Tory press. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories get in again, what's to stop them if they own the media which basically forms the opinion of the average voter who are not interested in any of the detail? 

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2718 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:19 pm »

Sorry but it is teething problems and it is to be expected, It is no different to British Standards being incorporated into International / EU standards. Or EU/UK electrical system harmonisation, paperwork and processes have to be updated. It can be sorted out.

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2719 on: January 15, 2021, 10:57:15 pm »
Just found out due to brexit we now get to claim vat back in the eu on purchases. So a lot of things such as designer goods become cheaper in the eu than the uk.