Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 533322 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #2520 on: January 4, 2021, 10:22:37 am »
That is terrible 😃

Is it too late to say I'm sorry?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2521 on: January 4, 2021, 10:33:35 am »
Is it too late to say I'm sorry?

Are you too scared to pick up the phone?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2522 on: January 4, 2021, 11:29:44 am »
Not sure if serious?

Anyway the below refers to some initial impacts before industry returns after the Xmas/New Year break.  Obviously there are also numerous lorry parks and traffic measures invoked across GB ports.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55521239

I was just interested really in why the poster thought it was going to be that bad . I like most on here voted to stay but personally not convinced by all this doom and gloom now we have left
Ultimately it's such an emotive subject and I get the feeling that some people that voted to stay want it to be really bad so it gives them a perverse sense of satisfaction .
This will hit some people very hard , a lot of people it won't remotely effect and others will benefit from it . It's like most things in life there seems to be very little common ground but time will tell and hence why I said it will be interesting to see where we are over the next few years
People are entitled to opinions and not going to knock anyone
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2523 on: January 4, 2021, 11:50:14 am »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2524 on: January 4, 2021, 11:54:20 am »
I was just interested really in why the poster thought it was going to be that bad . I like most on here voted to stay but personally not convinced by all this doom and gloom now we have left
Ultimately it's such an emotive subject and I get the feeling that some people that voted to stay want it to be really bad so it gives them a perverse sense of satisfaction .
This will hit some people very hard , a lot of people it won't remotely effect and others will benefit from it . It's like most things in life there seems to be very little common ground but time will tell and hence why I said it will be interesting to see where we are over the next few years

This falls under that cutting red tape bollocks that the Tories trotted out. These food movements have been going on for decades, either for Stores such as Tesco, Asda and Morrisions or internal movements for the likes of Cadburys, Rowntrees, Barr etc etc and now all of a sudden there are all kinds of additional paperwork and checks that are required. I have experience of dropping trailers at the docks/collecting trailers and its always been a seamless process, all I ever did was give a reference number and they either booked in the trailer I was dropping or told me where to find my collection. Some of the stuff involved is soft drinks for Multi national companies. If they are suddenly having delays in stock movement and having to employ extra staff, then they may just decide the move the stuff from within the EU instead, which then has a knock on effect for the production factory needing less staff, the haulage companies that move the stock losing work and the ferry company losing freight from that route. Some companies have already binned off UK suppliers and like that eel fella who voted Leave, companies now have no customers are are going bust.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2525 on: January 4, 2021, 12:00:28 pm »
This falls under that cutting red tape bollocks that the Tories trotted out. These food movements have been going on for decades, either for Stores such as Tesco, Asda and Morrisions or internal movements for the likes of Cadburys, Rowntrees, Barr etc etc and now all of a sudden there are all kinds of additional paperwork and checks that are required. I have experience of dropping trailers at the docks/collecting trailers and its always been a seamless process, all I ever did was give a reference number and they either booked in the trailer I was dropping or told me where to find my collection. Some of the stuff involved is soft drinks for Multi national companies. If they are suddenly having delays in stock movement and having to employ extra staff, then they may just decide the move the stuff from within the EU instead, which then has a knock on effect for the production factory needing less staff, the haulage companies that move the stock losing work and the ferry company losing freight from that route. Some companies have already binned off UK suppliers and like that eel fella who voted Leave, companies now have no customers are are going bust.

Not really sure why you have quoted my post . I'm fully aware of the issues at docks and the infrastructure and extra employment that all docks are now having to address because of Brexit
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2526 on: January 4, 2021, 12:07:30 pm »
Yes people hold all sorts of opinions when it comes to Brexit, it's not so much about people wanting to gloat when Brexit turned into a disaster, it's just some people believe it might have been better for the s,, to hit the fan from day 1 as it might have brought about a backlash from the public, where that took us is another matter, they also believed what is happening now could turn out to be the worst possible outcome, a death by a thousand cuts, a long steady decline in the economy and British industry. am sure people will look back to say 2016 and compare our economy and our ability to trade with the whole world including the EU and make a comparison, think we were the 4th leading trading nation in the world in 2016, our trade grew continually over many years until 2016, it started to tumble after the vote to leave, last time I checked which is while ago we had dropped to 5th, am certain we will tumble down that list for years to come. problem is the death by a thousand cuts apathy will mean the public outrage won't come till it's too late to reverse the decline.
Ive always believed Brexit will hit us in ways we never imagined possible, still believe it today so we will have to wait and see how this effects us all in years to come, we've lost frictionless trading and Services. we have taken these things for granted for years,  we are not going to be struggling to buy bath plugs but we will loose things we took for granted for many years.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2021, 12:18:15 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2527 on: January 4, 2021, 12:40:48 pm »
They keep showing the port of Dover on the news. I have never seen it so empty. I mean just plain empty. there can barely be any trade going on at all. I've used Dover so many times I couldn't even count, and its always chocker, always.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2528 on: January 4, 2021, 12:44:16 pm »
They keep showing the port of Dover on the news. I have never seen it so empty. I mean just plain empty. there can barely be any trade going on at all. I've used Dover so many times I couldn't even count, and its always chocker, always.

Sounds like they have got things running smoothly so no hold ups , brilliant stuff  :-[

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #2529 on: January 4, 2021, 12:44:29 pm »
I just sold an old dire straits album on eBay to some guy in the States.

One born every minute
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2530 on: January 4, 2021, 12:45:18 pm »
Yes people hold all sorts of opinions when it comes to Brexit, it's not so much about people wanting to gloat when Brexit turned into a disaster, it's just some people believe it might have been better for the s,, to hit the fan from day 1 as it might have brought about a backlash from the public, where that took us is another matter, they also believed what is happening now could turn out to be the worst possible outcome, a death by a thousand cuts, a long steady decline in the economy and British industry. am sure people will look back to say 2016 and compare our economy and our ability to trade with the whole world including the EU and make a comparison, think we were the 4th leading trading nation in the world in 2016, our trade grew continually over many years until 2016, it started to tumble after the vote to leave, last time I checked which is while ago we had dropped to 5th, am certain we will tumble down that list for years to come. problem is the death by a thousand cuts apathy will mean the public outrage won't come till it's too late to reverse the decline.
Ive always believed Brexit will hit us in ways we never imagined possible, still believe it today so we will have to wait and see how this effects us all in years to come, we've lost frictionless trading and Services. we have taken these things for granted for years,  we are not going to be struggling to buy bath plugs but we will loose things we took for granted for many years.

:thumbup

Sums it up perfectly.

This is the worst of all worlds.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2531 on: January 4, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »

But some people may have thought it was better how it was done , I can literally go through your post and post the exact opposite or say we are dropping in trade due to other reasons than Brexit . Brexit is a counter circular argument really and that's the problem and most people feel that passionately ( rightly so ) that most conversations descend into arguments
Where i used to work the topic actually got banned in the end as the office was split

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2532 on: January 4, 2021, 01:14:29 pm »
https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1346024080194080769?s=20

Where's the Klopp 'What a pity' gif again?
Maybe he should try buying British like bretiteers wanted!

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2533 on: January 4, 2021, 01:22:26 pm »
But some people may have thought it was better how it was done , I can literally go through your post and post the exact opposite or say we are dropping in trade due to other reasons than Brexit . Brexit is a counter circular argument really and that's the problem and most people feel that passionately ( rightly so ) that most conversations descend into arguments
Where i used to work the topic actually got banned in the end as the office was split
That's fine, ive no problem with anyone having a different opinion to me I would hope they explain the logic behind that opinion though.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2534 on: January 4, 2021, 01:37:38 pm »
That's fine, ive no problem with anyone having a different opinion to me I would hope they explain the logic behind that opinion though.

Like you i voted to stay as I didn't feel there was any benefit to Brexit . Still don't but all I'm saying is I don't think it's literally the end of the world like some . Brexit will bring both positive and negative things . Like I've said it will hit hit some people hard , a lot of people will notice no difference and some will benefit/profit call it what you will

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2535 on: January 4, 2021, 01:50:59 pm »
Like you i voted to stay as I didn't feel there was any benefit to Brexit . Still don't but all I'm saying is I don't think it's literally the end of the world like some . Brexit will bring both positive and negative things . Like I've said it will hit hit some people hard , a lot of people will notice no difference and some will benefit/profit call it what you will

What positives do you envisage Brexit will bring?

This thread is quite long but for the negatives just read through it.  As per the title there are other threads that pre-date this with similar details.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2536 on: January 4, 2021, 01:59:05 pm »
https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1346024080194080769?s=20

Where's the Klopp 'What a pity' gif again?

He enthusiatically bought a ticket. Now he gets to enjoy the ride

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2537 on: January 4, 2021, 02:03:00 pm »

This thread is quite long but for the negatives just read through it.  As per the title there are other threads that pre-date this with similar details.

I don't think in general there will be benefit. But like any change, some will benefit.
Some people will find work checking documentation.
Some will work as advisors
There will undobutedly some who tangibly benefit from the change in rules.

Admittedly, most of the above aren't actually 'creating' anything, so it's a net loss. But I think Jono is right that some will 'benefit'.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2538 on: January 4, 2021, 02:17:24 pm »

For most negatives in life there are positives or vice versa . Here's one .

Rob said about docks being delayed with paperwork because of Brexit - All the docks are building a lot of infrastructure and employing extra people

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/border-control-posts-built-immingham-4848776

I get it , people think it's the end of the world or really bad . That's fine and I'm really not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone that it's not . This is my last post in here . I'll go in the boozer

« Last Edit: January 4, 2021, 02:20:02 pm by Jono69 »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2539 on: January 4, 2021, 02:20:48 pm »

Rob said about docks being delayed with paperwork because of Brexit - All the docks are building a lot of infrastructure and employing extra people

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/border-control-posts-built-immingham-4848776
If the work is unnecessary, it is an inefficiency (which adds to costs for the nation as a whole). What efficiencies and positives do you expect from Brexit?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2540 on: January 4, 2021, 02:21:54 pm »
I don't think in general there will be benefit. But like any change, some will benefit.
Some people will find work checking documentation.
Some will work as advisors
There will undobutedly some who tangibly benefit from the change in rules.

Admittedly, most of the above aren't actually 'creating' anything, so it's a net loss. But I think Jono is right that some will 'benefit'.

I guess you could also add fruit picking jobs as a ‘positive’. 

Negatives are frequently noted within this thread.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2541 on: January 4, 2021, 02:30:00 pm »
To be honest I heard the same things in 2016 back in the days of project fear.
My opinion in 2016 on a couple of points hasn't changed. I still believe most people assume we have the right to be a rich and powerful nation. it's a very dangerous opinion to hold as it gives people a false sense of security to argue Brexit will not be the end of the world.

Brexit has always been a no brainer decision for me. we all know it's a massive complicated issue but there are only 2 issues that really matter and our future depends on us overcoming 2 serious hurdles.
Will we be in a more competitive trading environment to sell.
Will UK companies be more or less efficiant after Brexit.
Investment. jobs,economy all depend on us being more competitive and efficiant.  we will not be able to achieve either goal after Brexit so Jobs and investment will drop and the economy will suffer.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #2542 on: January 4, 2021, 02:31:07 pm »
I guess you could also add fruit picking jobs as a ‘positive’. 

Negatives are frequently noted within this thread.

And the thing is that the positives quoted affect a miniscule number of people while the negatives affect the vast majority
Believer

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2543 on: January 4, 2021, 02:37:08 pm »

I get it , people think it's the end of the world or really bad . That's fine and I'm really not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone that it's not . This is my last post in here . I'll go in the boozer

The thing is, it's about the overall situation and I have no doubt that it will get worse for the UK. That doesn't mean that certain groups or individuals won't profit from Brexit. However, compared to the country as a whole I think those advantages will be negligble. It's a bit like the whole fishery-discussion. It was made into this huge issue by people in favour of Brexit, when in fact it is a miniscule part of the UK economy and at the end of the day, them having a better time outside the EU is not worth it when much larger sectors of the economy will be suffering.

At the same time, I also think it's dangerous to be saying everything will go to shit, because whenever that doesn't happen Brexiters will be pointing out how xy is doing well or abc is not as bad as the "remoaners" had predicted and they will see it as vindication. I have been saying that about trade deals a couple of months ago. I do believe that there will be areas where the UK can get better deals for certain sectors of the economy compared to what they had via the EU. And Brexiters will point at those saying that that's the reason why Britain needed to leave the EU. I think Brexit is bad for the UK, but you have to be careful with predictions and you have to make sure that you're not going over the top.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2544 on: January 4, 2021, 02:40:54 pm »
"Remainers are bad/wrong/at fault for disliking a policy they don't agree with"

Yet another Brexit double standard that doesn't apply to any other topic in politics. Loving the sanctimony.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2545 on: January 4, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
Ok positives, it will be easier to launder money

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2546 on: January 4, 2021, 04:15:58 pm »
Ok positives, it will be easier to launder money
Easier to lose weight.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #2547 on: January 4, 2021, 05:13:59 pm »
Another great effect of Brexit.

My UK bank account has been closed. I moved away from the UK two years ago and for some reason you now have to have a UK home address to have an account.

They do this without telling me - they claim they sent one letter (paper) in the post (never arrived). No emails, no messages in the banking app.

When I ask what happened to my life savings that was in the account, they said they sent a cheque in the post. So who knows if that will ever arrive  ::)

This is Global Britain apparently. I knew the Brexiters were living in the 19th century, but a bit surprised that the banking industry also seems to be. Will probably be laughed out of my bank branch in the Netherlands if I turn up with a paper cheque.....

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2548 on: January 4, 2021, 05:26:38 pm »
Another great effect of Brexit.

My UK bank account has been closed. I moved away from the UK two years ago and for some reason you now have to have a UK home address to have an account.

They do this without telling me - they claim they sent one letter (paper) in the post (never arrived). No emails, no messages in the banking app.

When I ask what happened to my life savings that was in the account, they said they sent a cheque in the post. So who knows if that will ever arrive  ::)

This is Global Britain apparently. I knew the Brexiters were living in the 19th century, but a bit surprised that the banking industry also seems to be. Will probably be laughed out of my bank branch in the Netherlands if I turn up with a paper cheque.....

This was brought up on an ex pat forum im a member of and its only one bank thats closing accounts. Unfortunately you'd need a UK address to open an account with a different bank now.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2549 on: January 4, 2021, 07:32:14 pm »
This was brought up on an ex pat forum im a member of and its only one bank thats closing accounts. Unfortunately you'd need a UK address to open an account with a different bank now.

Fuck all to do with brexit, but if you do need accounts in other countries you could use transferwise or revolut borderless type account

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2550 on: January 4, 2021, 07:45:58 pm »
Fuck all to do with brexit, but if you do need accounts in other countries you could use transferwise or revolut borderless type account

I'm not sure of all the practicalities but I do know my friend in Lanzarote needs a UK account in order to pay her UK credit card, or pay foreign currency fees. Her pension is paid into the UK account for that reason. It's also quite sensible keeping one foot in the UK financially as an ex pat. In this case she has my address registered.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #2551 on: January 5, 2021, 03:48:43 am »
I'm not sure of all the practicalities but I do know my friend in Lanzarote needs a UK account in order to pay her UK credit card, or pay foreign currency fees. Her pension is paid into the UK account for that reason. It's also quite sensible keeping one foot in the UK financially as an ex pat. In this case she has my address registered.

I nearly went in harder. Anyway "ex pat", don't you mean immigrant?

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2552 on: January 5, 2021, 04:03:58 am »

Immigrants are those foreigner types, 'ex pats' are British people who choose to grace a different country with their presence...

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2553 on: January 5, 2021, 08:30:37 am »
It's also quite sensible keeping one foot in the UK financially as an ex pat. In this case she has my address registered.
Why? Genuine question.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2554 on: January 5, 2021, 08:39:34 am »
Why? Genuine question.

Because very few people who move to the Canaries from the UK stay permanently or full time. The vast majority apparently get bored and come back or decide to split their time. Without going into details, bank branches in the Canaries ( i can't speak for the mainland) don't seem to always follow rules and keeping reserves in the UK  an be helpful. The main reason  as I say, is that many or most genuinely do fall semantically into the class of expats as their move isn't permanent whether that's the intention or not. My friend owns a villa on a complex of 10. 6 of them owned by Brits who had 'emigrated'. Since Covid, she's become the only Brit there. The others have all 'come home.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2021, 09:11:00 am by DJBrenton »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2555 on: January 5, 2021, 09:13:05 am »
Because very few people who move to the Canaries from the UK stay permanently or full time. The vast majority apparently get bored and come back or decide to split their time. Without going into details, bank branches in the Canaries ( i can't speak for the mainland) don't seem to always follow rules and keeping reserves in the UK  an be helpful. The main reason  as I say, is that many or most genuinely do fall semantically into the clas if expats as their move isn't permanent whether that's the intention or not. My friend owns a villa on a complex of 10. 6 of them owned by Brits who had 'emigrated'. Since Covid, she's become the only British there. The others have all 'come home.
Presumably they need a UK address to maintain access to the NHS, as well. Frankly, it boils my blood - go and commit or stay and pay your taxes. (Not having a go at you; my father was an ex-pat who didn't learn the language).

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2556 on: January 5, 2021, 09:17:44 am »
Presumably they need a UK address to maintain access to the NHS, as well. Frankly, it boils my blood - go and commit or stay and pay your taxes. (Not having a go at you; my father was an ex-pat who didn't learn the language).

To be fair, if you've paid your way then retired, why shouldn't you still have access to the NHS? Your choice of where to live isn't morally an issue unless you're avoiding taxes. My friend has lived there 20 years so isn't typical anyway. Also, how long should you be allowed out of the country and keep NHS rights? Is a gap year 'emigrating' such that you shouldn't be allowed back for NHS treatment if you fall ill?
« Last Edit: January 5, 2021, 09:30:07 am by DJBrenton »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2557 on: January 5, 2021, 10:39:46 am »
If you come back, are you an ex ex pat, or an immigrant? 😃
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2558 on: January 5, 2021, 10:43:50 am »
Maybe she changed her name from Patricia to Lucinda.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2559 on: January 5, 2021, 10:49:32 am »
If you come back, are you an ex ex pat, or an immigrant? 😃

They call that pat exchange