The Liverpool FC Forum > RAWK Announcements, Feedback & Questions

a question for one of the mods

<< < (207/213) > >>

Mumm-Ra:

--- Quote from: "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! on May  4, 2024, 09:20:56 pm ---So we still don't have a topic on the horrors inflicted by Israel on Palestinians with over 30,000 dead,  the violation of numerous international laws and brazen threats to commit to more action with potentially hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties?.

I understand the logic that this is a football forum and the mods do not want to deal with the fallout of heated discussions in these topics, but at the same time, there is an active News and current affairs sub section with numerous discussions going on currently. I see numerous posts criticising the likes of Iran, Russia and even India for their actions and positions on various issues but for whatever reason any discussion on Israel and Palestine is not permitted.

The entire world is talking about it. There have been protests going on in many countries, including the well publicised American student protests.

Why is any discussion on these matters completely prohibited? I also understand some 'senior' members have made it their fiduciary duty to jump to Israel's defence in any such discussion and make excuses/offer justifications for their actions. This leads to heated discussions, which is understandably a headache for moderators. However a complete prohibition on any discussion on Israel's actions feels dissonant in a place that claims a strong left wing legacy.

I came here after a while, jumped into the news section expecting pages and pages of discussion, only to find zilch.

I don't expect any justification or explanation from the mods. As a member since 2011, I am just unable to accept the 'evolution' of the politics of this place.

--- End quote ---

The tone of your post pretty much endorses the mod's decision, unfortunately

CornerFlag:

--- Quote from: "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! on May  4, 2024, 09:20:56 pm ---
--- End quote ---
Hi mate,

I can imagine lots of people are in the same boat as you in that the events in Gaza should be being discussed (I'm one of them), and that it should be done in a calm and rational way with reasoned discussion between people. Given the nature of the topic, sadly, it's never going to happen.  I'm sure the mods here would love to see each and every topic available to be spoken about with respect and decorum, but we've seen how discussions degenerate quite rapidly, especially around Gaza, Palestine, Israel and all the associated topics.  I don't see it as the politics of the place evolving to a point to protect Israel at all, but sentiment against the actions of the Israeli government so often leaks into anti-Israel everything, which has pushed on into anti-semitism.

So, as frustrating as it is, it should be left alone.

JerseyKloppite:

--- Quote from: CornerFlag on May  7, 2024, 06:13:28 pm ---Hi mate,

I can imagine lots of people are in the same boat as you in that the events in Gaza should be being discussed (I'm one of them), and that it should be done in a calm and rational way with reasoned discussion between people. Given the nature of the topic, sadly, it's never going to happen.  I'm sure the mods here would love to see each and every topic available to be spoken about with respect and decorum, but we've seen how discussions degenerate quite rapidly, especially around Gaza, Palestine, Israel and all the associated topics.  I don't see it as the politics of the place evolving to a point to protect Israel at all, but sentiment against the actions of the Israeli government so often leaks into anti-Israel everything, which has pushed on into anti-semitism.

So, as frustrating as it is, it should be left alone.

--- End quote ---

This sums up the position very neatly.

The more sensitive and contentious a topic is, the more carefully it needs to be moderated due to the significant scope for posters to post things that are misleading or offensive, either to other individual posters or to wide groups of people. At the same time, the more sensitive and contentious a topic is, the harder it is to moderate for the very same reasons. We like to think that everyone who goes into a thread like that will do so in a considered way, reflecting the sensitives of the subject matter and responding thoughtfully and carefully. But this is the internet, so that doesn't happen.

Ultimately the site is moderated by a small group of volunteers who cannot be expected to be instantly responsive to the reporting of posts - and that's when users actually report posts, rather than just engaging in tit-for-tat abuse. Due to the political and religious complexities, it's also expecting moderators to be on top of news and current events when they will invariably have numerous other commitments in their personal and professional lives. Again, it would be lovely if the site were self-moderating, but if people can't be civil about grown men or women kicking a football about for money, it seems hopeless to expect them to be civil about religious conflicts and humanitarian crises.

It's ultimately a shame, but as has been said elsewhere, there are plenty of places to discuss the conflict in Gaza if you want to do so. They may not be places you want to post or engage but that's a decision for you.

Wabaloolah:

--- Quote from: JerseyKloppite on May  7, 2024, 07:37:26 pm ---This sums up the position very neatly.

The more sensitive and contentious a topic is, the more carefully it needs to be moderated due to the significant scope for posters to post things that are misleading or offensive, either to other individual posters or to wide groups of people. At the same time, the more sensitive and contentious a topic is, the harder it is to moderate for the very same reasons. We like to think that everyone who goes into a thread like that will do so in a considered way, reflecting the sensitives of the subject matter and responding thoughtfully and carefully. But this is the internet, so that doesn't happen.

Ultimately the site is moderated by a small group of volunteers who cannot be expected to be instantly responsive to the reporting of posts - and that's when users actually report posts, rather than just engaging in tit-for-tat abuse. Due to the political and religious complexities, it's also expecting moderators to be on top of news and current events when they will invariably have numerous other commitments in their personal and professional lives. Again, it would be lovely if the site were self-moderating, but if people can't be civil about grown men or women kicking a football about for money, it seems hopeless to expect them to be civil about religious conflicts and humanitarian crises.

It's ultimately a shame, but as has been said elsewhere, there are plenty of places to discuss the conflict in Gaza if you want to do so. They may not be places you want to post or engage but that's a decision for you.

--- End quote ---
I used to be a site admin for a rugby forum, it was nowhere near as big as RAWK is but even on that there were issues with political threads being dragged off-topic that led to abuse etc.

The site used to get searches coming up that had nothing to do with rugby or sport of any kind and the owner found his internet marketing business was being affected.

One poster in particular was at the helm of most of the issues and in the end the owner, rather than banning him banned certain topics and eventually the site calmed down.

The vast majority of people here came here because they love Liverpool Football Club. Due to the club's history there will always be an element of politics, events and campaigns linked to the club, from Shanks to Hillsborough to Hicks and Gillette to Klopp and to many other things this club has been through but at the end of the day it's the football that draws us together.

Topics like Gaza have such widely opposing views that quickly deteriorate and for me have no part on this message board

So… Howard Philips:

--- Quote from: Wabaloolah on May  7, 2024, 10:31:43 pm ---I used to be a site admin for a rugby forum, it was nowhere near as big as RAWK is but even on that there were issues with political threads being dragged off-topic that led to abuse etc.

The site used to get searches coming up that had nothing to do with rugby or sport of any kind and the owner found his internet marketing business was being affected.

One poster in particular was at the helm of most of the issues and in the end the owner, rather than banning him banned certain topics and eventually the site calmed down.

The vast majority of people here came here because they love Liverpool Football Club. Due to the club's history there will always be an element of politics, events and campaigns linked to the club, from Shanks to Hillsborough to Hicks and Gillette to Klopp and to many other things this club has been through but at the end of the day it's the football that draws us together.

Topics like Gaza have such widely opposing views that quickly deteriorate and for me have no part on this message board

--- End quote ---

Completely agree. There are an abundance of sites to discuss and analyse serious and divisive issues like Palestine and Israel.

A footie website isn’t the place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version