Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 869712 times)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2016, 11:34:21 pm »
The day the government reveals it's 'plan' is going to be an interesting day for the tory party.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2016, 12:03:21 am »
Its around 170 days to article 50 is "Invoked" so Labour have given the Tories 170 questions to answer about Brexsit 1 for each day.

Imagine being given the job of writing out that list of questions.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2016, 06:36:43 am »
Its around 170 days to article 50 is "Invoked" so Labour have given the Tories 170 questions to answer about Brexsit 1 for each day.

Imagine being given the job of writing out that list of questions.
Where did you read this?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:43 am »
News night reported that minister would be happy to pay up to half of our current EU funding for access to trade deals..

What's that?  £7.5bn???

That's without the rebate of course.  Paying more for less!  It's like Everton are running the country.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2016, 07:30:31 am »
Where did you read this?
The government have said they will invoke article 50 in march (or thereabouts).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:54 am »
I started to feel sorry for the caller as he was slowly taken apart.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0</a>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:50:30 am by Trada »

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2016, 09:12:25 am »
News night reported that minister would be happy to pay up to half of our current EU funding for access to trade deals..

What's that?  £7.5bn???

That's without the rebate of course.  Paying more for less!  It's like Everton are running the country.

If the offer was paying £7 Billion, but access to the single market with no freedom of movement I would say that the government should bite the EUs hand off. Yes, we're still paying into the EU budget but £7 billion pales into insignificance compared to damage to the economy if we leave the single market, and the end of freedom of movement keeps those that voted for Brexit happy. Not that I can actually see such a generous offer being offered by the EU mind.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2016, 09:35:32 am »
the eu would need to keep their current rules intact for full members though.

dont see how offering less would be accepted?

offer more than what we already pay and maybe it would act as a deterrent  for any member wishing to leave but still have free tarrifs.

norway and swizerland pay into the eu....paying less would surely make them want to pay less for a similar deal.

i highly doubt that a goer.

who ever is dreaming up there ideas needs to get a reality check.

it reeks of desperation
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2016, 10:07:19 am »
It was an idea that was floated but it would have to be higher and/or have a raft of concessions on top of it to even have a chance.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
It was an idea that was floated but it would have to be higher and/or have a raft of concessions on top of it to even have a chance.

I doubt we will see many serious proposals/concessions from either side for a fair while, just posturing at the moment.

I doubt the EU is in any rush to offer anything to be honest, time is not on the UK's side.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2016, 11:04:31 am »
the eu would need to keep their current rules intact for full members though.

dont see how offering less would be accepted?

offer more than what we already pay and maybe it would act as a deterrent  for any member wishing to leave but still have free tarrifs.

norway and swizerland pay into the eu....paying less would surely make them want to pay less for a similar deal.

i highly doubt that a goer.

who ever is dreaming up there ideas needs to get a reality check.

it reeks of desperation
It does reek of desperation as it's ignoring the biggest problem, freedom of movement.
We could offer double what we pay now and the EU would still not give us access to the single market unless we allow freedom of movement.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2016, 11:41:24 am »
This is very good.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/hard-brexit-theresa-may-by-jacek-rostowski-2016-10
Yeah, pretty much sums up the situation quite succinctly.

Do you reckon Labour should bite the bullet, putting aside for the moment the anti-Corbyn slagging opportunity,  (even though in the short term it would cost them even more support) and go full-on in Remain mode? Or is that their plan for after the tory hand has been revealed?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:42:56 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2016, 11:43:18 am »
The EU, and especially the single market, is build on the 'four freedoms'

1. Free movement of goods
2. Fredom of movement for workers
3. Right of establishment and freedom to provide services
4. Free movement of capital

All four are necessary for the single market to work. The EU can't, and won't compromise on any of them.

Pretenting it can be done just shows that the government has absolutely no understanding of how what the EU is and how it works.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2016, 12:09:27 pm »
Yeah, pretty much sums up the situation quite succinctly.

Do you reckon Labour should bite the bullet, putting aside for the moment the anti-Corbyn slagging opportunity,  (even though in the short term it would cost them even more support) and go full-on in Remain mode? Or is that their plan for after the tory hand has been revealed?

Yes, I do. It's the right thing to do and it's the pragmatic thing to do. Anyone who doubts the second point need only compare Labour's present popularity (around 24 per cent and falling) with Remain's popularity (48 per cent and rising). History rarely lets you be right and popular.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »
Yes, I do. It's the right thing to do and it's the pragmatic thing to do. Anyone who doubts the second point need only compare Labour's present popularity (around 24 per cent and falling) with Remain's popularity (48 per cent and rising). History rarely lets you be right and popular.

I think its got to be more nuanced then that - Rather then full on Remain campaign for Single Market access specifically at all costs. That way you appeal to the Remainers, some of the Leavers who still want to stay in the Single Market, Trade Unions and business leaders.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:14 pm »
I think its got to be more nuanced then that - Rather then full on Remain campaign for Single Market access specifically at all costs. That way you appeal to the Remainers, some of the Leavers who still want to stay in the Single Market, Trade Unions and business leaders.

Of course it has to be more nuanced. Mine was a one-sentence reply. Labour will need to work a bit harder.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »
I suppose there is a case for treading lightly until the probable deal in all it's shiteness is revealed - it would then look like a real world decision rather than some left wing airy-fairy ideological decision, and the opinion polls would no doubt show that Labour was not 'failing to listen to the people'.

It's a bit like when there's a nice piece of pie left between two of you, and you say 'You cut, I'll choose', - the chooser can't lose.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »
I suppose there is a case for treading lightly until the probable deal in all it's shiteness is revealed - it would then look like a real world decision rather than some left wing airy-fairy ideological decision, and the opinion polls would no doubt show that Labour was not 'failing to listen to the people'.

It's a bit like when there's a nice piece of pie left between two of you, and you say 'You cut, I'll choose', - the chooser can't lose.

Perhaps, although there's an equal case for getting in early and keeping the pressure on that strange coalition inside the House of Commons that is mistakingly called the Conservative 'party'. More than that the Labour party should expose the fallacy that there is a "will of the people" or - indeed - that the Referendum vote reveals some 'Triumph of the Will'.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A-NEBerVRo0</a>

That's quite tragic and I suspect representative of a lot of leavers (not all of course) who voted on sentiment and some sort of misplaced sense of patriotism. The wish to send "a message " to "the establishment" regardless of what it actually meant.....and it has created such a fecking mess.

Reminds me of a guy I saw interviewed on results day saying he voted leave as he was sick of all these "muslims n that, coming here from Syria n that" and thought leaving the EU would stop that.

Sometimes I think there should be a qualification test to demonstrate you grasp some basic concepts before you get the vote.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2016, 01:02:17 pm »
I'm shit at chess, but there is always a 'best move' there if you can study it long enough. It looks like a tremendous opportunity here but there is a fine line to tread. Sorting out the best course of action isn't easy is it. Who do we have who can come up with the master plan? We don't seem to have the services of any dodgy bastards who are well versed in the dark arts anymore. Come back Mandy all is forgiven.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »
I'm shit at chess, but there is always a 'best move' there if you can study it long enough. It looks like a tremendous opportunity here but there is a fine line to tread. Sorting out the best course of action isn't easy is it. Who do we have who can come up with the master plan? We don't seem to have the services of any dodgy bastards who are well versed in the dark arts anymore. Come back Mandy all is forgiven.

If it were chess, then the government Brexiteers would be said to be facing a Zugzwang move. Every possible option is worse than doing nothing and yet doing nothing is not allowed.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2016, 01:27:55 pm »

Pretty much exactly how almost every conversation with a brexiter has gone when i've discussed it with them. Then just as you've pulled down every ridiculous argument they still stand shaking there head.

Sometimes I think there should be a qualification test to demonstrate you grasp some basic concepts before you get the vote.

Said this for years, feel bad that it's really condescending, but at least it would stop people voting via protest or ignorance. Doesn't even have to be complicated either, 'name one law the EU has passed to the UK.' would have done for about 50% of brexiters, just like the guy was asked in the video.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2016, 01:49:26 pm »
Pretty much exactly how almost every conversation with a brexiter has gone when i've discussed it with them. Then just as you've pulled down every ridiculous argument they still stand shaking there head.

Said this for years, feel bad that it's really condescending, but at least it would stop people voting via protest or ignorance. Doesn't even have to be complicated either, 'name one law the EU has passed to the UK.' would have done for about 50% of brexiters, just like the guy was asked in the video.
Theres no perfect democracy, one woman from Wakefield voted leave because she thought everyone was nice before we joined the EU, she obviously feels leaving will make everyone nice again. it's views like this that make you think there should be some sort of intelligence test to see if the person has a basic grasp on the issue there voting on. am afraid we have to keep reminding ourselves that this would be  very dangerous. it's a slippery slope into Facism. it's  the price we have to pay for living in a free democracy.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »
I think that a lot too! This is the one flaw of democracy in my opinion - put simply, the assumption that everyone is equally capable of choosing the right candidate.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2016, 02:13:00 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread, or indeed if anywhere is the right thread, but I thought corybn did well at PMQ's today pushing her on this.

Corbyn should autocorrect to "He who shall not be named."

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2016, 02:13:53 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread, or indeed if anywhere is the right thread, but I thought corybn did well at PMQ's today pushing her on this.
He did. He looked like a different animal today, even Norman Smith seemed to sense a bit of a sea change, and that Brexit was actually being used as a big stick to beat the tories with - we wait with baited breath.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2016, 02:30:29 pm »

Yeah, Corbyn did well again today. Keir Starmer too. It's a very low bar to expect this to happen, but glad it's at least happening now all the same.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2016, 02:30:57 pm »
The foot now needs pressing down onto their throats while momentum is high and they're on the ropes, Corbyn seemed feistier today and seems people are singing from the same hymn sheet, helps that some Tories are turning the screw on the witch aswell.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2016, 02:35:12 pm »
I think that a lot too! This is the one flaw of democracy in my opinion - put simply, the assumption that everyone is equally capable of choosing the right candidate.

Maybe like the 'Understanding Test' that the southern states used to impose in the time of segregation? Or maybe take the vote away from those lacking a certain property qualification, as used to happen in Great Britain, so that the franchise is limited to those who have comfort and security (and presumably education) enough to be able to consider politics impartially?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:33 pm »
Maybe like the 'Understanding Test' that the southern states used to impose in the time of segregation? Or maybe take the vote away from those lacking a certain property qualification, as used to happen in Great Britain, so that the franchise is limited to those who have comfort and security (and presumably education) enough to be able to consider politics impartially?

Nothing like the Louisiana tests of course, but very basic political entry questions given to everyone. However, I do understand the wider point you and oldfordie are making.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2016, 03:23:51 pm »
Nothing like the Louisiana tests of course, but very basic political entry questions given to everyone. However, I do understand the wider point you and oldfordie are making.

It's frustrating of course when emotion seems to get the better of reason at the polls or when outright lies exert their dominion over actual facts. But, yes, the alternative to a free election (ie a circumscribed one where only the 'intelligent' vote) is the royal road to despotism.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2016, 03:50:52 pm »
To be honest. I have to keep reminding myself of this. some of the reasons given to leave were gob smacking. absolutely nothing to do with the EU. We spend months reading up on all the facts and your vote is wiped out by somebody who hasn't spent 5 min looking at the facts. as someone else mentioned people voting to leave to keep out the Muslims from Syria etc,someone said that to me as well.
The blame rests on the Torys. idiots for calling a referendum. idiots for not having a get out clause in the question put to voters. all we saw the day after the vote was Tory MPs faces white with shock. the stupid realty of what they had done had finally hit home.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »
Feels like over the last few weeks - indeed ever since the Crack Brexit Team was assembled and began opening their respective gobs - as if the government is attempting to play poker with its cards completely exposed to all the other players around the table. To be fair, though, and in its defence, anybody asking questions of the Crack Brexit Team is obviously, and quite willfully, trying to undermine the Crack Brexit Team's negotiation position prior to the negotiations actually taking place.

I, for one, believe in the Crack Brexit Team and put my trust in its collective wits. 
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »

That video is by far the most powerful to date to show just how that 52% are now feeling.

It's a little scary that when called out properly with facts and no agenda, that people always seem to end up back to immigration.

'But Brexit wasn't down to immigration. I have no problem with immigration'

But you haven't told me 1 single reason, 1 law or one part of being in the EU that you would take away to make the UK better?

'Err Err. Its them damn immigrants'

Scary country

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »

I, for one, believe in the Crack Brexit Team and put my trust in its collective wits. 
You just failed the electoral intelligence test - no more voting for you me lad.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2016, 04:08:18 pm »
You just failed the electoral intelligence test - no more voting for you me lad.

ha,ha!  ;D

Not bothered anyway, after they finish their negotiations, they'll be nothing left to vote for.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2016, 07:58:33 pm »
David Davies is doing a sterling job

W

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »
Unilever products have been "delisted" or are out of stock on Tesco online because Unilever want to increase prices due to a weak £, and Tesco refused. They've not been able to reach a compromise.

This is potentially massive news that could have huge knock-on effects.
just think marmite could destroy brexit