Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 300885 times)

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #1160 on: February 18, 2020, 05:49:10 pm »
I thought 'soz' was standard scouse.

Generally speaking if any name or word ends in a -y then the -y should be forcibly trimmed. Should the word/name not end in a -y then one will be unnecessarily supplied.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1161 on: February 22, 2020, 10:27:17 am »
I don't know where to put this but here seems like a good place seeing as we're talking about Scouse lingo etc

We used to play a game in the street called (I don't know the exact spelling) La Li O.

Everyone would hide and one person would look for you.

When found/caught (you only had to be seen) you'd be placed in a row on a fence/garden wall etc and any person not saw would quickly run by the 'caught' group and shout La Li O - A CO CO CO CO COOOOOOO to release everyone much to the annoyance of the 'catcher' who would have to start all over again or throw a weed on and go home in a mood.

Also, there was Kick The Can.

A can was placed in the road and it was a similar basis to La Li O but the can had to be kicked.

Last one - does anyone remember playing Lights?

Eons ago - hey I'm not that old - there were less cars in the streets and when it got dark and a car would approach from the end of the road, we would have to run ahead of the beam of light or be caught and be out. We'd dive behind fences, into people's gardens, bushes etc

Ah, the Victorian times were great  :wave

Anyway, getting back to La Li O - where did that name come from - anyone know?

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #1162 on: February 22, 2020, 12:07:05 pm »
I thought 'soz' was standard scouse.

Generally speaking if any name or word ends in a -y then the -y should be forcibly trimmed. Should the word/name not end in a -y then one will be unnecessarily supplied.
Soz wasn’t a scouse term originally. I remember in my teens playing footy and going back and forward between places the only people using that term were from formby and southport. Especially Southport. If you said that around a scouser you’d get the piss ripped outta ye

My older brother and his mates use to all take the Mick with words like that. “EEE SHOP T’KEEPER FETCH US CRUSTY BAP AND PEA SOUP.....SOZ MERK THAT PEA AND HAM AND A BOCKLE OF FIZZY POP”
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:09:12 pm by Capon Debaser »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1163 on: February 22, 2020, 01:05:15 pm »
Soz wasn’t a scouse term originally....

Not too sure about that.

There was however a lad I was at school with back in the late 60's, I think he was from Kirkdale/Bootle or Walton, and he had a right ladled on scouse accent, almost professional level, and he was always saying soz for sorry. We did take the piss though.

But I don't remember anyone from Southport ever saying it back then, they all had a quite distinct west Lancashire accent back in those days, an 'eh up' type twang though unlike nowadays, or at least the last time I was there a few years ago when it seemed every shop assistant was doing Stevie G/Carragher impressions.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1164 on: February 22, 2020, 03:29:09 pm »
I don't know where to put this but here seems like a good place seeing as we're talking about Scouse lingo etc

We used to play a game in the street called (I don't know the exact spelling) La Li O.

Everyone would hide and one person would look for you.

When found/caught (you only had to be seen) you'd be placed in a row on a fence/garden wall etc and any person not saw would quickly run by the 'caught' group and shout La Li O - A CO CO CO CO COOOOOOO to release everyone much to the annoyance of the 'catcher' who would have to start all over again or throw a weed on and go home in a mood.

Also, there was Kick The Can.

A can was placed in the road and it was a similar basis to La Li O but the can had to be kicked.

Last one - does anyone remember playing Lights?

Eons ago - hey I'm not that old - there were less cars in the streets and when it got dark and a car would approach from the end of the road, we would have to run ahead of the beam of light or be caught and be out. We'd dive behind fences, into people's gardens, bushes etc

Ah, the Victorian times were great  :wave

Anyway, getting back to La Li O - where did that name come from - anyone know?
we played La li O, great memories, great game when loads played but heard some kids call it rallio, as I always assumed was something to do with rally-ho as shouted by fox hunters??
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1165 on: February 22, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »
I’d have Called it alalio can remember the A at the beginning

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: February 22, 2020, 08:04:16 pm »
Not too sure about that.

There was however a lad I was at school with back in the late 60's, I think he was from Kirkdale/Bootle or Walton, and he had a right ladled on scouse accent, almost professional level, and he was always saying soz for sorry. We did take the piss though.

But I don't remember anyone from Southport ever saying it back then, they all had a quite distinct west Lancashire accent back in those days, an 'eh up' type twang though unlike nowadays, or at least the last time I was there a few years ago when it seemed every shop assistant was doing Stevie G/Carragher impressions.

Times move on.  I was brought up in Crosby and the Crosby accent I have is now more common in Southport, Burscough and Parbold.  The new Crosby accent has moved out from Bootle.  Old Southport accents are now pushed towards Preston.  Such is the outwards migration of Scouse.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:08:29 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1167 on: February 23, 2020, 11:21:30 am »
We called it Riallio.

When I moved to the States we played the same game but the jailer could only go into the jail on one foot to stop the rebel jailbreaker.
When you ticked an opponent you had to say Cor cor callevio 1,2,3 and then he had to go quietly.

That and kick the can were just about the only street games we played. No one had a football in the early 50s.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:26:48 am by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1168 on: February 23, 2020, 12:10:02 pm »

Is the right name for it..was later called manhunt.

Kerbs was the game as a youngster in the street.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: February 23, 2020, 01:18:20 pm »
Is the right name for it..was later called manhunt.

Kerbs was the game as a youngster in the street.

Glad some of you remember La Li O - or Alalio  ;D

Kerbs though was called Kerby where I lived - and the game seemed to get an update and you got extra points for keepie ups, headers and throwing over a passing car.

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1170 on: February 23, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »

Kerbs though was called Kerby where I lived - and the game seemed to get an update and you got extra points for keepie ups, headers and throwing over a passing car.

Not sure about the headers etc but our rule was that your feet couldn't stray over the edge of the kerb you where throwing from - your body and arms, yes but if even a micrometer of your foot strayed over the edge.....VAR had nothing on the disputes.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: February 23, 2020, 01:32:27 pm »
Not sure about the headers etc but our rule was that your feet couldn't stray over the edge of the kerb you where throwing from - your body and arms, yes but if even a micrometer of your foot strayed over the edge.....VAR had nothing on the disputes.

;D

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #1172 on: February 23, 2020, 02:47:08 pm »

You got extra points around ours for throwin over ye shoulder with ye back to the street. You also were allowed to step into the street on the dividing line if the ball bounced back and you caught it without it hitting the floor

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: February 23, 2020, 04:34:06 pm »
You got extra points around ours for throwin over ye shoulder with ye back to the street. You also were allowed to step into the street on the dividing line if the ball bounced back and you caught it without it hitting the floor

Yes - how could I forget that! You could really rack up points doing that  ;D

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1174 on: February 23, 2020, 11:41:54 pm »

I think our extra points came from hitting the kerb with it ( throw in style ) and catching it again . I remember O - Alli  - O too as I think that's what we use to shout .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1175 on: February 24, 2020, 12:06:51 am »
Ali-O  too here.

Maybe something to do with "the Big ship Sails on the Alley Alley O "?
Didn't put too much thought into it on St. Mark's playground in 1973  ;D

British bulldog, ali-o, three-and-in, sixty-seconds, kerby, - all the greats  ;D

The best though was the 25-aside on the back field, the match would last for hours util it was dark.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: February 24, 2020, 08:05:35 am »
Ali-O  too here.

British bulldog, ali-o, three-and-in, sixty-seconds, kerby, - all the greats  ;D

The best though was the 25-aside on the back field, the match would last for hours util it was dark.

With last goal the winner :)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1177 on: February 24, 2020, 09:33:12 am »
3 an In..60 seconds..takes me back that.

If you asked a kid today what a 'Shooty in the ennog' was..the probable reply would be something to do with drugs.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1178 on: February 24, 2020, 10:43:16 am »
Running around work today like a soft lad on a message

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1179 on: February 24, 2020, 10:59:37 am »
Running around work today like a soft lad on a message

Scon 'ed!

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #1180 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:01 am »
Ali-O  too here.

The day we beat West Ham in the fa cup final there was a game going on in lord street southPort outside the townhall were there must’ve been 100+ Pissed up lfc fans/lads. Swear to god it felt like it went on for ages and was boss. Thinking back it was like a match between the Ant Hill Mob and The Goodies. Everyone moving in the same direction and no one with a set position

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: February 24, 2020, 03:52:57 pm »
Ali-O  too here.

Add to that S.P.O.T. - you'd choose a wall or a fence or a garage door and you'd blast the ball against it and wherever it landed the next person would have to try and hit this same wall/fence/garage door and if they did then they would get a letter to spell S.P.O.T.. Once you'd missed though. you'd have to go back and start the letters again. First to spell S.P.O.T. wins.

Headers and Volleys - as the title suggests, a game where you could only score headers and volleys. You'd all take turns in goal for 10 minutes.

Gates - all players would form a circle of goals (usually jumpers and coats for goalposts) and you'd take shots at each other with the one ball. Once you'd conceded 5 goals you were out.

Shooty - played by 2 people using goals/fences/walls opposite each other. Whoever scored the required amount of goals first would win and then the next player would play them.

Those 25-a-side games though  ;D

Once played in my new Kickers boots and got battered when I got home  ::)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1182 on: February 24, 2020, 04:56:01 pm »
We played it as SPOT.

One dot..

If you missed you'd get an S and so forth until your last life was the dot/fullstop.
First to use all 5 lives you were out.

The disputes that brought out..

"You're on SPO"!

"Am i fuck I hit the post"

"Yer didn't"

"I did"

..and ended up with something like "I'm not playing with cheats,I'm taking me ball in".

The post was 'In' too  ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:57:51 pm by Medellin »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1183 on: February 24, 2020, 05:36:30 pm »
Balls?? Boots??  Posts??

Fukn luxury.  I never saw a football my first 8 years!

We were all just running about like soft ollies.
Kill the humourless

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1184 on: February 24, 2020, 05:42:47 pm »
We played it as SPOT.

One dot..

If you missed you'd get an S and so forth until your last life was the dot/fullstop.
First to use all 5 lives you were out.

The disputes that brought out..

"You're on SPO"!

"Am i fuck I hit the post"

"Yer didn't"

"I did"

..and ended up with something like "I'm not playing with cheats,I'm taking me ball in".

The post was 'In' too  ???

Yeh, I think you got it right  :wave

And there was One Bounce (we were original with the naming) where the ball could only bounce once or you lost a point/was out.

Balls?? Boots??  Posts??

Fukn luxury.  I never saw a football my first 8 years!

We were all just running about like soft ollies.

We would all chip together and get a casey - so valuable this was that any kid that would kick it on the railway or a main road - or into a crazy man's garden - would HAVE to risk their life to get it back or face certain death  ;D

But usually all we could afford was a fly-away, which as the name suggests, would take off like a balloon with the slightest gust of wind.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1185 on: February 25, 2020, 08:58:20 pm »
Goalie in an' out

Goalie when ness.

Puddin' an' beef.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1186 on: February 25, 2020, 09:10:50 pm »
Ha ha ^ great shout :D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1187 on: February 25, 2020, 10:51:29 pm »
Best footballs ever made “ The Wembley Trophy “

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1188 on: February 26, 2020, 02:51:50 pm »
Headers and Volleys - as the title suggests, a game where you could only score headers and volleys. You'd all take turns in goal for 10 minutes.

We always played it where if the keeper managed to catch the ball within his area without it hitting the floor, whoever hit it last would have to go in goal.

We also played it where it was 1 point for a header or volley, and 2 for an overhead kick. Whoever was in goal when it got to 12 points would be first in line for raw arse!

We also called it 'Heads and Vs'.

And there was One Bounce (we were original with the naming) where the ball could only bounce once or you lost a point/was out.

We also played that, but we limited it to only one touch each because it was boring as fuck watching someone else do keepie ups!. We also played it where it was 3 lives and you were out. Last man standing the winner.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1189 on: February 27, 2020, 12:16:10 pm »
We always played it where if the keeper managed to catch the ball within his area without it hitting the floor, whoever hit it last would have to go in goal.

We also played it where it was 1 point for a header or volley, and 2 for an overhead kick. Whoever was in goal when it got to 12 points would be first in line for raw arse!

We also called it 'Heads and Vs'.

We also played that, but we limited it to only one touch each because it was boring as fuck watching someone else do keepie ups!. We also played it where it was 3 lives and you were out. Last man standing the winner.

Yeh we did incorporate a few of those rules into our games too.

There was also Pairs. Basically, as the name suggests, you'd have a goalie and the rest of you would pair up in 2s as individual teams.

World Cup Pairs was just calling your team by a World Cup name - Brazil, if you were quick enough to bagsy it  ;D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: March 5, 2020, 03:27:46 pm »
Soz wasn’t a scouse term originally. I remember in my teens playing footy and going back and forward between places the only people using that term were from formby and southport. Especially Southport. If you said that around a scouser you’d get the piss ripped outta ye

My older brother and his mates use to all take the Mick with words like that. “EEE SHOP T’KEEPER FETCH US CRUSTY BAP AND PEA SOUP.....SOZ MERK THAT PEA AND HAM AND A BOCKLE OF FIZZY POP”

Hmm - I am from Formby - tip of the hat to Capon's anthropological linguistic expertise

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #1191 on: March 21, 2020, 07:10:56 am »

Yeah, the way we played it was if you caught it, you got a chance to throw it from the middle of the street.

Yeh we did incorporate a few of those rules into our games too.

There was also Pairs. Basically, as the name suggests, you'd have a goalie and the rest of you would pair up in 2s as individual teams.

World Cup Pairs was just calling your team by a World Cup name - Brazil, if you were quick enough to bagsy it  ;D

We called it either single cuppy or double cuppy.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: March 28, 2020, 01:58:36 pm »
Year 8 Liddypool stoonts in class.

Teacher:  "Billy, where's Sarawak?"

Billy:  "I dunno, Chuck."
Kill the humourless

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1193 on: April 7, 2020, 11:49:32 am »
Grebb or Grebo..

Anyone else use these?

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1194 on: April 8, 2020, 09:07:09 am »
Grebb or Grebo..

Anyone else use these?

Greb, every time. I only really heard Grebo when I moved down south.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #1195 on: April 8, 2020, 10:36:30 am »
 had a couple of greebos lived by me in page moss huyton they where heavy meatal fans ,being into punk myself used to have some good banter with them

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: April 8, 2020, 02:10:14 pm »
Yeh - Greebo here too.

Also 'Smelly' or 'Smells' coz of the smell of the oil used on their leathers and not because they were scruffs or anything.

Well, that's what I was told when I hung around with a girl biker.

She used to go to the bikers club above the boozer opposite the old Walton hozy - I've just looked it up and it's called The Plough but I can't remember that from the time but it must have been.

Anyhoo, she used to take me to metal clubs in town and I remember one club either didn't have urinals and we all had to piss through a smashed hole in the wall  :o or I was so wellied that I actually pissed through a smashed hole in the wall?

After that I went to get into a cab when the driver got out and pulled me out by the arm - it was a police car.

They were alright though and just sat me by a wall to sober up.

And I remember one time getting a lift on the back of a trike with this BIG girl riding it and she just tucked me in said "hold tight" as we proceeded to drive/ride at 100mph all the way into town not stopping for red lights or anything really.

Once there - and I had picked all the flies from my teeth - she carried me into the club over her shoulder and bought me drinks all night - and she wasn't even my girl!

I also remember all these fit girls just swaying from side to side stoned out of their long-haired heads while metal was played at jet-engine decibel loudness.

Anyhoo, crazy times and me and that girl didn't last long because that lifestyle would've killed me!

I've still got photos of her in her tight-fitting leather gear  ;)

I still love metal though, and still have my old NWOBHM CD collection but nowadays happy with my acoustic guitar and bird watching - where did it all go wrong man!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: April 9, 2020, 10:12:55 pm »
I remember loads of smellies getting twatted outside the place on Wood Street . The Krazy House ? A few of the lads from the match got had off there one night in the late 80's.

Next home game there was about 150 of us.

Charge !!!!
« Last Edit: April 9, 2020, 10:15:59 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1198 on: April 9, 2020, 10:15:30 pm »
Just up on Wood Street Sergeant ... smellies ..  thaarsands of ' ' em.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1199 on: April 10, 2020, 09:21:20 am »
I remember loads of smellies getting twatted outside the place on Wood Street . The Krazy House ? A few of the lads from the match got had off there one night in the late 80's.

Next home game there was about 150 of us.

Charge !!!!
The Swan.
Notorious for bikers and trogs  ;D