Author Topic: Bars/Clubs in town  (Read 340930 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Bars/Clubs in town
« Reply #2160 on: February 19, 2020, 09:35:41 am »
Doubt students will pay £5.70 a pint!

To make it clear, it's gone up from £2.10 to £2.90 a pint, £5.80 for two ;D I'm being a mingebag but they serve flat Carling and it smells in there, we only went cos it was round the corner from ours. Would sooner go the Pilgrim now.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2161 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:48 am »
To make it clear, it's gone up from £2.10 to £2.90 a pint, £5.80 for two ;D I'm being a mingebag but they serve flat Carling and it smells in there, we only went cos it was round the corner from ours. Would sooner go the Pilgrim now.

You’re in the wrong thread  ;D

£2.90 a pint is great. Shite beer in Varling but given what beer prices are like these days I guess you get what you pay for.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2162 on: February 19, 2020, 10:00:22 am »
You’re in the wrong thread  ;D

£2.90 a pint is great. Shite beer in Varling but given what beer prices are like these days I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm more annoyed that they were making a song and dance about never putting their prices up the other day ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2163 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:04 am »
I'm more annoyed that they were making a song and dance about never putting their prices up the other day ;D

I'd be annoyed it smells in there!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: February 25, 2020, 09:02:50 am »
A mildly annoyed one. I was in the Head of Steam on Thursday and had a lovely pale ale, Cirrus. Went back yesterday and it was off. The peril of craft beef I suppose. There was still a good variety and I'm sure I was the only native English speaker in there as it was full of Scandinavial LFC supporters though I did hear some West Ham fans on my way out.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2165 on: February 25, 2020, 09:24:43 am »
Mmm you know when you have a Carling and you can smell it, it kicks out a honk... wafts to you, that deep unpleasant stench

Mmm, smelly beer

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2166 on: February 25, 2020, 09:28:12 am »
A mildly annoyed one. I was in the Head of Steam on Thursday and had a lovely pale ale, Cirrus. Went back yesterday and it was off. The peril of craft beef I suppose. There was still a good variety and I'm sure I was the only native English speaker in there as it was full of Scandinavial LFC supporters though I did hear some West Ham fans on my way out.

I do like the Head of Steam. Always seems to be a good selection of ale and the big screens for the match

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2167 on: February 25, 2020, 10:39:57 am »
I do like the Head of Steam. Always seems to be a good selection of ale and the big screens for the match

The alternatives were decent but I was really looking forward to the Cirrus. The small pleasures in life.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2168 on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:48 pm »
The alternatives were decent but I was really looking forward to the Cirrus. The small pleasures in life.
Every silver lining has a cloud, eh!  ;D

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2169 on: July 6, 2020, 10:00:40 am »
It's a mates 40th this weekend and a few of us have said we'd meet for a couple of drinks.

Does anyone know what the score is? Do we need to book somewhere and all that stuff?

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: July 6, 2020, 11:18:00 am »
I suppose it depends on how many you are.

You might even be refused.

I can't really answer your question, as it will probably differ from venue to venues, and I've  read, some aren't even gonna bother opening.

I suppose you'll just have to see how it works, on the ground.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2171 on: July 6, 2020, 02:02:18 pm »
Yeah group size is an issue as think 6 (or is it 8?) to a table is max. If you go as one group might be refused.

As for booking, depends where as some are walk in only and some booking only.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2172 on: July 6, 2020, 02:57:09 pm »
They'll be less than six as it's pretty last minute. We are also planning on going out in the afternoon.

Will see how we go

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2173 on: August 10, 2020, 06:08:17 pm »
Where has outdoor space for a few afternoon drinks around the Bold St area?

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2174 on: August 10, 2020, 08:04:31 pm »
Bombed out church has got a beer garden set up.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: August 10, 2020, 10:33:04 pm »
The Red Door on Berry Street has a nice roof bar called Eden.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2176 on: August 10, 2020, 11:16:05 pm »
Cheers you two, will give them both a look.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: August 12, 2020, 11:47:57 pm »
I've just found out The Krazy House closed a couple of years ago  :-[

I've often bored my wife with stories of pogoing to rock and metal music in the basement then eating cheeseburgers (so genuinely really, really bored her!).  I tried a couple of times to convince her to go in for a night and relive my late teens but for some reason she was never keen.  Chance missed!

I wasn't that fussed when Cream/Nation went, was sad about Le Bateau but proper gutted about Krazy House.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2178 on: August 13, 2020, 07:37:23 am »

I've often bored my wife with stories of pogoing to rock and metal music in the basement then eating cheeseburgers (so genuinely really, really bored her!).  I tried a couple of times to convince her to go in for a night and relive my late teens but for some reason she was never keen.  Chance missed!

I wasn't that fussed when Cream/Nation went, was sad about Le Bateau but proper gutted about Krazy House.

I used to be into all the metal and rock as well, and went a few times to the KrazyHouse in the mid-to-late-2000s. Got the impression it was well past its heyday though (i.e. I thought it was shite :D).

I am pretty sure it has reopened as something else with much the same set up though.

It didn´t have as long a history as some of the others you mentioned, but the Kazimier disappearing was for me the absolute tragedy. Easily one of the best live music venues in the country - and the New Years and other big nights they would put on were legendary. Will never be replicated. Massive miss for the cities cultural scene. Replaced by shitty flats of course.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:59:46 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: August 13, 2020, 09:43:47 am »

Those cheeseburgers were bad haha, they did Pot Noodles as well I think. I was there either on Thursday or Saturday (or both) on what seemed like every weekend in the early-mid 2000s. It is actually still there, got refurbed and reopened under a new name, but I haven't been in since it closed. Don't think it would feel the same.

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:11 am »
I used to be into all the metal and rock as well, and went a few times to the KrazyHouse in the mid-to-late-2000s. Got the impression it was well past its heyday though (i.e. I thought it was shite :D).

Probably around the time I stopped going regularly. Numbers wise, when the K3 opened (about 2002?) it really exploded. I remember being there on the first night the K3 opened and it all felt so new. Saturday nights in there especially were amazing, it was the same regulars every single week and you got to know so many people because really there was nowhere else in town at the time playing what they did. When I read posts on other threads about people seeing trouble in town over the years, I'm glad I went there because on a Saturday it just wasn't like that at all. For whatever reason that scene just didn't lend itself to troublemakers/snarlers and it was always friendly.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2181 on: August 13, 2020, 11:55:12 am »
Electric or something like that it’s called, I popped in there a couple of months before lockdown, just to have a mooch. Never again.

Looking forward to this being over, so I can check out the new gaff from the Motel guys. Saying that, wouldn’t be surprised to see all the places I wind up being closed by that point.
AHA!

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: August 13, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »
Electric or something like that it’s called, I popped in there a couple of months before lockdown, just to have a mooch. Never again.

Looking forward to this being over, so I can check out the new gaff from the Motel guys. Saying that, wouldn’t be surprised to see all the places I wind up being closed by that point.

Where/what is this? Quite like Motel so would try anything branching off from it.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2183 on: August 13, 2020, 07:58:13 pm »
Teddy’s it’s called, on Slater Street.
AHA!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: August 13, 2020, 09:01:18 pm »

I am pretty sure it has reopened as something else with much the same set up though.

It didn´t have as long a history as some of the others you mentioned, but the Kazimier disappearing was for me the absolute tragedy. Easily one of the best live music venues in the country - and the New Years and other big nights they would put on were legendary. Will never be replicated. Massive miss for the cities cultural scene. Replaced by shitty flats of course.

Only went in the Krazy House a few times, always after a gig at the Royal Court. I last went in the Krazy House around 1991 I reckon, sure we were on the top floor. Some lad got hit on the head with a full bottle of Newky brown and then the bouncers lashed the bottler down the stairs.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2185 on: August 14, 2020, 12:19:45 pm »
Teddy’s it’s called, on Slater Street.

Slater street you say?  Is it still like the wild west there at weekends?

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:33 pm »

It's not ideal up there but I'm at the stage now when I would rather get to town about 1pm and get off about 7-8pm. The thought of a drink at night around there fills me with anxiety.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: August 14, 2020, 01:39:58 pm »
It's not ideal up there but I'm at the stage now when I would rather get to town about 1pm and get off about 7-8pm. The thought of a drink at night around there fills me with anxiety.
And naked fear. ;D

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:20 pm »
And naked fear. ;D

Mad isn't it. Never thought twice about being out around there of a night when I was a skinny, awkward, student with stupid hair primed for a battering.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2189 on: August 14, 2020, 05:18:00 pm »
Mad isn't it. Never thought twice about being out around there of a night when I was a skinny, awkward, student with stupid hair primed for a battering.

I think it's to do with the loss of the ability to run away from the arseholes that gives you pause for thought.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2190 on: August 18, 2020, 09:36:07 am »

Haha excellent description

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2191 on: August 20, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »

I went there a lot around 1995-1999. Mainly Thursday and Friday nights. Never really Saturday. Pretty sure there was only 1 floor when I went. They opened K2 as a live venue during that era as well. Remember 'A' playing there one Friday night.

Was good back then. Probably because I was a teenager but also I think the popular music at the time suited a club like The Krazy House. For a club that primarily played rock and indie with some dance music thrown in, the mid to late 90's was probably a prime time. Grunge was still around and bands like Nirvana, Foos, Smashing Pumpkins, Green day etc.. were still big. Plus it was height of BritPop scene. Then you had crossover dance bands like The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers that were emerging. I wasn't necessarily into all these types of music but they were relatively new and hugely popular. Think that added to the excitement of the place in that late 90's era. You'd also see some the Liverpool bands there as well.

Never went beyond 2000 but always wondered what it was like when guitar music wasn't as popular as it was previously. Were they still banging out Marilyn Manson and Korn in 2015?

Funniest story I remember about the Krazy House was a group of loads getting refused entry for wearing trousers. Back in the late 90's virtually every bar in town required you to wear trousers to get in. No jeans allowed in 90% of places. Obviously the Crazy House were going for a different clientele with their no trousers policy.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2192 on: August 23, 2020, 04:24:48 pm »
Never went beyond 2000 but always wondered what it was like when guitar music wasn't as popular as it was previously. Were they still banging out Marilyn Manson and Korn in 2015?

In the 2000s It was always heavy metal on the first floor, dance/club music on the top floor. The middle floor was all the guitar bands which at the time were the likes of The Strokes, Foo Fighters, The Killers and The White Stripes plus the likes of Nirvana and Green Day. If you went in a big group you'd always split off into the different floors for whatever music you wanted to listen to.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: August 23, 2020, 06:09:29 pm »
In the 2000s It was always heavy metal on the first floor, dance/club music on the top floor. The middle floor was all the guitar bands which at the time were the likes of The Strokes, Foo Fighters, The Killers and The White Stripes plus the likes of Nirvana and Green Day. If you went in a big group you'd always split off into the different floors for whatever music you wanted to listen to.

Looking back it was a really bizarre combination in the one building, but at the time we were just used to it. I'd usually have different mates on all 3 floors and spent my Thursday nights across them all.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: August 30, 2020, 08:44:32 am »

Closing party was massive. I was in town that night and the queue stretched all the way up past Concert Sq.

Only went in there once myself

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2195 on: August 30, 2020, 08:51:12 am »
There was a chat about this in the “Lawless Liverpool” thread and most people are saying the same.

Haven’t been on a proper “night out” (last train out, first train home job) since I was about 23, much prefer going in the day. It’s almost as if you can feel a change in atmosphere at around 7/8pm, when all the stag parties and students start venturing out.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: August 30, 2020, 01:55:30 pm »
Closing party was massive. I was in town that night and the queue stretched all the way up past Concert Sq.

Only went in there once myself

The closing party was mad, basically selling out of everything drinks wise so every round was a different drink.

Must've visited the place at least once a month from late 2000 to 2005. For me and my mates the music options was perfect at that point.

Think that was the issue though, you'd pop in 10 years after that and the K1 and K2 were still 90% of the same music that was being played in 2004. Probably also a damning inditement of those music scenes as well really.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2197 on: August 30, 2020, 08:31:44 pm »
Yep, me and a mate always said the same, you’d know a DJ’s set as soon as you’d walk in, especially on 2.
AHA!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2198 on: August 31, 2020, 09:16:55 pm »
Had an afternoon session in town for the first time since lockdown. I've been the Cross Keys by our work but this was the parts of town I would normally swerve.
First place we started was probably the best, the Head of Steam on Hanover Street. I remember this when it was the Barracuda years ago. You go in and wait to be assigned a table but still go and wait at the bar for your drinks.
Had a go at that Only Fools & Horses bar on Seel Street which wasn't much to shout about. Kazimier Gardens was full with people queuing outside so we went up to the Swan, Wood Street. Again, tables only but you know what your getting with that place, no frils and decent enough.

It went downhill rapidly from there, one of the lads with us was desperate to meet a woman having split up from his missus recently so persuaded us to go in The Hanover which is now called McCartney's. Absolutely no social distancing in there.
The next gaff was that Smokey Mo's opposite The Blob Shop. Again, table service only and we actually had a laugh in there. I got talking to the fella on our table who was in his late 50's, he'd come all the way from Anglesey, booked himself into a hotel, all on his own, looking for love.

So that was town last night, absolutely rammed and not the normal places I'd go.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: September 1, 2020, 08:54:34 am »
Had an afternoon session in town for the first time since lockdown. I've been the Cross Keys by our work but this was the parts of town I would normally swerve.
First place we started was probably the best, the Head of Steam on Hanover Street. I remember this when it was the Barracuda years ago. You go in and wait to be assigned a table but still go and wait at the bar for your drinks.
Had a go at that Only Fools & Horses bar on Seel Street which wasn't much to shout about. Kazimier Gardens was full with people queuing outside so we went up to the Swan, Wood Street. Again, tables only but you know what your getting with that place, no frils and decent enough.

It went downhill rapidly from there, one of the lads with us was desperate to meet a woman having split up from his missus recently so persuaded us to go in The Hanover which is now called McCartney's. Absolutely no social distancing in there.
The next gaff was that Smokey Mo's opposite The Blob Shop. Again, table service only and we actually had a laugh in there. I got talking to the fella on our table who was in his late 50's, he'd come all the way from Anglesey, booked himself into a hotel, all on his own, looking for love.

So that was town last night, absolutely rammed and not the normal places I'd go.

Don't know about the others (saw the Fools and Horses bar for the first time last week and thought it was really out of place in Liverpool) but the Head of Steam is ace. One of my mates likes the jukie in the Swan so we visit every now and then just so he can play some Germanic heavy metal.