Author Topic: Place names not on the map  (Read 34156 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Place names not on the map
« Reply #80 on: August 9, 2019, 03:07:23 pm »
Cast Iron shore.

I just read it‘s referenced by the Beatles (glass onion - white album)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #81 on: August 9, 2019, 10:11:06 pm »
No man's land.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #82 on: August 9, 2019, 11:06:34 pm »
Always think that sounds like the most wool thing ever when they say it.

Geographically they are Wools though. If you were born past Queens Drive , North of Kirkdale and South of Garston you are a Wool. There are a few exceptions to the rule though but Kirkby aint one of them.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2019, 07:03:05 am »
Geographically they are Wools though. If you were born past Queens Drive , North of Kirkdale and South of Garston you are a Wool. There are a few exceptions to the rule though but Kirkby aint one of them.

Not having that. I was born in Walton Hospital, our kid in Fazak and we're not a wools.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2019, 08:11:23 am »
If you were born within hearing range of St Nics bells..you were a Dicky Sam, A Liverpudlian. (Dickey,Dickie too early to research the spelling).

Getting off at Edge Hill is somewhere you won't see on the map.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:29 pm »
Not having that. I was born in Walton Hospital, our kid in Fazak and we're not a wools.

Was kidding mate but I do like these Liverpool Scouse / Wool boundry debates. Born on Smithdown here so 100% Scouse.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:21 pm »
If you were born within hearing range of St Nics bells..you were a Dicky Sam, A Liverpudlian. (Dickey,Dickie too early to research the spelling).

Getting off at Edge Hill is somewhere you won't see on the map.

Not having that St Nics thing either. How about if your Nans street got bombed in the Blitz then you are Scouse ?

Edit.

Excluding Birkenhead.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:54 pm »
.... Born on Smithdown here so 100% Scouse.

Hold on there Mr Wool.

According to Gage's you're not as Smithdown is just outside the boundary.

;)

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2019, 03:48:50 pm »
Not having that St Nics thing either. How about if your Nans street got bombed in the Blitz then you are Scouse ?

Edit.

Excluding Birkenhead.

:wave Wool  ;D

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/podcasts/transcripts/people_city.aspx
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2019, 04:38:51 pm »
Was kidding mate but I do like these Liverpool Scouse / Wool boundry debates. Born on Smithdown here so 100% Scouse.
Hold on there Mr Wool.

According to Gage's you're not as Smithdown is just outside the boundary.

;)

:wave Wool  ;D

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/podcasts/transcripts/people_city.aspx

Rawk...  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2019, 05:53:14 pm »
My Wool boundaries have always been fairly wide.

My boundaries are Hale in the south of the city. The M57 to the east. West of it being Scouse, east of it being Wool country. Then I have Crosby and Maghull/Lydiate to the north.

Kirkby is a contentious one. Full of old school Scouse moved out in the slum clearance, but still sort of on the 'wrong' side of the tracks.  ;)

Skem is also full of displaced Scouse, but still Wool Central.

It's weird when it's said that places like Bootle, Crosby, Seaforth, Litherland, Netherton etc are Wool, because in my youth the Spion Kop was full of lads from those places.

I was born in Broadgreen, but have been based in Litherland, Waterloo and Sefton Park. A Wool to some, no doubt, depending on their personal criteria, but definitely Scouse in my own mind.  8) :scarf
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:55:00 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2019, 07:16:53 pm »

My boundaries are Hale in the south of the city. The M57 to the east. West of it being Scouse, east of it being Wool country. Then I have Crosby and Maghull/Lydiate to the north.

Kirkby is a contentious one. Full of old school Scouse moved out in the slum clearance, but still sort of on the 'wrong' side of the tracks.  ;)

It's weird when it's said that places like Bootle, Crosby, Seaforth, Litherland, Netherton etc are Wool, because in my youth the Spion Kop was full of lads from those places.

I was born in Broadgreen, but have been based in Litherland, Waterloo and Sefton Park. A Wool to some, no doubt, depending on their personal criteria, but definitely Scouse in my own mind.  8) :scarf

Broadgreen Hozzy ?

Wrong side of the drive that mate .

:wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:34 pm »

Broadgreen Hozzy ?

Wrong side of the drive that mate .

:wave

Yep, in the hospital.

Wrong side of the drive? 
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2019, 09:10:10 pm »
Yep, in the hospital.

Wrong side of the drive? 

By about 100 yards.

:lmao

But of course Iam only joking with my Souse / Wool boundaries.

My North and South Liverpool ones are more serious. When you cross onto Parly by town and across Picton Road / Edge Hill you are deffo entering the South and to me a proper Southender is someone from the Dingle . A proper Northender is someone from Vauxhall or thereabout.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:21 pm »
By about 100 yards.

:lmao

But of course Iam only joking with my Souse / Wool boundaries.

My North and South Liverpool ones are more serious. When you cross onto Parly by town and across Picton Road / Edge Hill you are deffo entering the South and to me a proper Southender is someone from the Dingle . A proper Northender is someone from Vauxhall or thereabout.

So where did "Townies" come from?

Most have gone now but I'd say the tennies like Gerrard Gardens, the Bullring up to Islington out to Scottie in the North and Parly in the South.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2019, 10:00:30 pm »

Most have gone now but I'd say the tennies like Gerrard Gardens, the Bullring up to Islington out to Scottie in the North and Parly in the South.

Town ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2019, 09:18:15 am »

It was officially Kirkby Town Centre so just got called the townie. Different from going to Town

My Nan got moved to Kirkby in the mid 60's, they had lived in Everton until the house got condemned, had to move once in the 40's because the Germans got a direct hit on the house - luckily my Grandad was off with the desert rats and my Nan had left the house 5 minutes before. On Dads side of the family, I have traced them back to the 1830's in Moorfields and then to Green Street, my Nan was from off Scotty. We flitted between Sefton Park, Walton and Kirkby for 3 years until we got brand new house on Tower Hill. Everyone there was displaced from the city and during the 70's a lot moved on to Skem cos it was nicer.

It might be the wrong side of the M57, but almost everyone in their late 40's and older will have been born and lived in the city. Kirkby itself is a really old town, there are still some of the old cottages from when it was nothing but a small village.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:31 am »
Town ?

But what's the boundary? Townies looked down on the rest as a sub Scouse culture.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2019, 11:20:46 am »
But what's the boundary? Townies looked down on the rest as a sub Scouse culture.

I'd say today its from the estate by China Town , the estate at the back of Duke Street and the estate just by Leeds Street / Vauxhall Road. Theres another little estate just past Tithebarn Street going by Mareybone. Posh people in apartments are not townies. Sometimes I pop in the La Go for a quick pint of a day and its full of Townies from the estate by China Town and Duke Street.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2019, 12:16:02 pm »
I'd say today its from the estate by China Town , the estate at the back of Duke Street and the estate just by Leeds Street / Vauxhall Road. Theres another little estate just past Tithebarn Street going by Mareybone. Posh people in apartments are not townies. Sometimes I pop in the La Go for a quick pint of a day and its full of Townies from the estate by China Town and Duke Street.

Not been around the City centre for a long long time now, took the kids the museum for my youngests 5th birthday 4 years ago. From reading what you two are posting, is town getting taken over by posh people who think they are better than everyone else?

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2019, 12:40:23 pm »
Not been around the City centre for a long long time now, took the kids the museum for my youngests 5th birthday 4 years ago. From reading what you two are posting, is town getting taken over by posh people who think they are better than everyone else?

Lots of people not from Liverpool live in most of these posh apartments. Lots of Saudi students especially in the new tower blocks and Mann Island.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2019, 12:56:35 pm »
Lots of people not from Liverpool live in most of these posh apartments. Lots of Saudi students especially in the new tower blocks and Mann Island.

Manchester has gone the same - students all over the place and all the staff from the BBC and ITV living on the Quays, driving house prices through the roof.

I'll have to get my arse into town and have a good look around at all the changes.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2019, 01:17:22 pm »
Manchester has gone the same - students all over the place and all the staff from the BBC and ITV living on the Quays, driving house prices through the roof.

I'll have to get my arse into town and have a good look around at all the changes.

I'd say town has improved though but to experience the new scene you need plenty of dough. I still stick to the less than 2.50 a pint gaffs .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2019, 02:30:43 pm »
I'd say town has improved though but to experience the new scene you need plenty of dough. I still stick to the less than 2.50 a pint gaffs .

Did I read on here that all the drug dealers like hanging out in those places?

In my entire 12 years of living over here I've been out in Manc city centre a grand total of once. Hate the place and swerve it, never go oit on works nights out as just can't be arsed with the dump. Luckily my missus hates it too, so we go out locally - she loves going to town though, I met her in her in the First National after a Blackburn game in Oct 06. Bit pricey in some of them, but there is a cheap pub and a cheap bar we like.

Is the Penn & Wigg still going?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2019, 03:16:58 pm »

In my entire 12 years of living over here I've been out in Manc city centre a grand total of once. Hate the place and swerve it, never go oit on works nights out as just can't be arsed with the dump. Luckily my missus hates it too, so we go out locally - she loves going to town though, I met her in her in the First National after a Blackburn game in Oct 06. Bit pricey in some of them, but there is a cheap pub and a cheap bar we like.

Is this a discreet way of asking if the tittie bar is still open?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2019, 03:41:27 pm »
Is this a discreet way of asking if the tittie bar is still open?

;D

Nah, just very hazily remember a few pissed up nights in there around 1984/85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2019, 04:51:11 pm »
;D

And I'm showing my age by remembering pissed up nights there in 1968/69.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2019, 05:14:23 pm »

My local in town is The Post Office on School Lane and its a cracking little pub . 2.40 a pint. The Pen and Wig closed moons ago.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2019, 05:15:26 pm »
;D

And I'm showing my age by remembering pissed up nights there in 1968/69.

I had my first E there in July 1989.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2019, 10:24:12 pm »
My local in town is The Post Office on School Lane and its a cracking little pub . 2.40 a pint. The Pen and Wig closed moons ago.

The Why Not is long gone but the Croc is going strong.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2019, 11:43:51 pm »
The Why Not is long gone but the Croc is going strong.

I watched one game this season in the Croc . Cant think what game it was but we come from behind at home and won.

Speaking of that part of town the Harry was possibly my first ever bar , pub or club in town that I ever went to. It was like a little Amsterdam in there with some of us young lads who went the match in the 88 / 89 season.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:49:11 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2019, 09:09:24 am »

P&W is defo still open.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2019, 02:29:08 pm »
P&W is defo still open.

Thought it was a lapdancers gaff ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »
Thought it was a lapdancers gaff ?

That's downstairs, not sure if that is still going but the pub upstairs is still there.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2019, 11:20:53 pm »
Bottom Crocky

Top Crocky

The Lanny [Pier Head]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:27 am »
For those of you "unsure" about the name of the lap dancing bar under the Pen and Wig it's called Aphrodites, just in case you'd forgotten. ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2019, 12:18:25 pm »
For those of you "unsure" about the name of the lap dancing bar under the Pen and Wig it's called Aphrodites, just in case you'd forgotten. ;D
I saw you going in there last night after the match, Howard. I just happened to be passing.  ;D

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2019, 02:55:18 pm »
I saw you going in there last night after the match, Howard. I just happened to be passing.  ;D

A quick U turn was it ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
A quick U turn was it ?
;D
Howard's great. I'd never swerve him.  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:40:54 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:40 am »
Sacrilege! The last time I went downstairs in the Pen and Wig it was to listen to a bit of jazz.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.