Author Topic: Liverpool Airport - Opinions  (Read 35175 times)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool Airport - Opinions
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:20:00 am »
There's a story in todays Echo about passengers returning from abroad over the weekend and taking up to 2 hours to get through immigration .

I've flown from JLA a fair few times over the years , most recently 2 weeks ago . We arrived back at the airport at around 11pm , and it took the best part of an hour to get through immigration . On reaching the customs area , there were 3 immigration officers on duty.

The management of the airport has dropped in quality as the airport has grown , and I'm getting to the point where I may start to fly from Manchester instead .

The parking charges are also a rip-off , with only a 5 minute free parking period ( think it used to 15 minutes or so ) allowed to drop off / pick up passengers , after which the prices rocket to up to £ 10.00 per hour . This has had the effect that taxis and other vehicles at the airport to pick up incoming passengers are parking on Speke Hall Avenue .

Shit service and time they sorted themselves out .

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Airport - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:31:38 am »
It's a piss take getting through passport control. Although I do know a cunning short cut. 8)

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:06 am »
Must admit there does often seem to be a big queue for passport control, it's never taken me an hour to get through though.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:13 am »
The management of the airport has dropped in quality as the airport has grown , and I'm getting to the point where I may start to fly from Manchester instead .

Don't do that mate. Manchester Airport is a fucking joke in my opinion. There's massive ques for security every time and I get searched every single time without doubt!

Hell, is an eternity in Manchester airport.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:57 am »
got to say ive no problem with the airport at all.Ten minutes if that in a cab and im there feet up and at the bar ready for my hols. I cant say im bothered about the charges in the car park.If im going on holiday ill get a cab there or a lift so it doesnt affect me really. As for passport control,never been in a queue longer than about 15 minutes.Guess it depends on how busy it is and the time of day etc. I wont knock my local airport,I love it.Id rather fly from Liverpool than any other uk airport.Ive had queues in Manchester a lot longer than Liverpools by a country mile. Think its a quality airport myself and ive never had any problems or long waiting periods as of yet.Guess theres plenty who have but equally plenty who are happy with the service it provides
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:46 am »
Used JLA a few times, its definately got better, the last couple of times we've flown out has been to Krakow for a weekend, we tend to meet in town and jump the 500 or 86A bus direct as its way cheaper than a cab. No hassle with queues.

Years ago though it was murder getting a taxi home, had to walk down to Speke Boulevard.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51:16 am »
Like every other 'public related' business the owners of JLA cut staffing to the bone to maximise profits and 'ride out' fuck ups like this, we are in a society where 'customer service' just means trite 'customer focused' statements really backed up with actions, The press statement from JLA was contemptuous and if you use JLA  a lot like me you do notice the staff are a miserable surly bunch who look like they hate the place. this is what you get when you run an airport based on the 'cheap' flight market and the financial implications of that.

JLA works well as it is, but nothing more than a glorified bus station, which is fine when you manage to get through it without any hassles, but once things go awry there is no slack in the organisation to deal with it,  as this story demonstrates.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »
It's a piss take getting through passport control. Although I do know a cunning short cut. 8)

Go on..............

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:08 pm »
Used it loads and have to say I've never had a problem with it, apart from the queue to get through security last time- but I think that was more to do with the building work etc that was/is going on.

Manchester airport is a living nightmare, queue for this, get in that queue, queue over there for that and the next thing you know you are on the bloody plane. At least every time I've been from JLA it's just been check in, dump the bags, then relax in Weathies for a couple of drinks to start the holiday :) I use the long stay car park and it only works out a couple of quid a day, cheaper than a return cab to Aintree and less hassle than arranging a lift, I know my car is a 5 minute walk from the terminal then I'm back home in 20 minutes
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »
Being a frequent user of the Easyjet Amsterdam service and the Wizz out to Gdansk I see a fair bit of the place. Never had any problems waiting to get through security or waiting for baggage, just the usual check-in bullshit you get at every airport. They could do with emptying the bins and cleaning the shite off the tables and floors in the landside lounge upstairs from time to time though, the place is a disgrace sometimes.
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:06 pm »
Like every other 'public related' business the owners of JLA cut staffing to the bone to maximise profits and 'ride out' fuck ups like this, we are in a society where 'customer service' just means trite 'customer focused' statements really backed up with actions, The press statement from JLA was contemptuous and if you use JLA  a lot like me you do notice the staff are a miserable surly bunch who look like they hate the place. this is what you get when you run an airport based on the 'cheap' flight market and the financial implications of that.

JLA works well as it is, but nothing more than a glorified bus station, which is fine when you manage to get through it without any hassles, but once things go awry there is no slack in the organisation to deal with it,  as this story demonstrates.

you can say that about any airport

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:43 pm »
you can say that about any airport

but we are talking about JLA.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
but we are talking about JLA.

yup.just saying all the problems youve just raised you get in every airport.They are all pretty much the same thing when things go wrong.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:05 pm »
All airports are tightening the belt, especially the budget airports as flight taxation is now the highest in this country than anywhere else in the world (no surprises there) and the airlines are putting that cost onto the airports as well as the passengers so we are seeing a massive cutting of corners and manning levels cut(certainly in the low season) to keep the profits for Peel Holdings/Vancouver Airports on the up or at least to their projected levels throughout 10 and 11.
One plus I have to say though is that the security check points have improved greatly with the introduction of 8 (I think) rapi-scan lanes to speed the check in process, but then like manchester suffers with this 'get them to walk through duty free' mentality, which to my mind actually puts people off rather than thinking "oh good, I'll buy something right now" when in fact, people like to plonk their arses first, get themselves sorted, then!, go do some duty free mooching and with it being back up the stairs in JLA I don't think people will be bothered doing. A massive own goal I reckon.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:58 pm »
All airports are tightening the belt, especially the budget airports as flight taxation is now the highest in this country than anywhere else in the world (no surprises there) and the airlines are putting that cost onto the airports as well as the passengers so we are seeing a massive cutting of corners and manning levels cut(certainly in the low season) to keep the profits for Peel Holdings/Vancouver Airports on the up or at least to their projected levels throughout 10 and 11.
One plus I have to say though is that the security check points have improved greatly with the introduction of 8 (I think) rapi-scan lanes to speed the check in process, but then like manchester suffers with this 'get them to walk through duty free' mentality, which to my mind actually puts people off rather than thinking "oh good, I'll buy something right now" when in fact, people like to plonk their arses first, get themselves sorted, then!, go do some duty free mooching and with it being back up the stairs in JLA I don't think people will be bothered doing. A massive own goal I reckon.

think your right with the duty free thing. I personally head straight for the bar as soon as my suitcases are checked in and im through passport control.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
yup.just saying all the problems youve just raised you get in every airport.They are all pretty much the same thing when things go wrong.

Im not sure the delays related to in this story would have been experianced with the likes of Schipol...2 hours without acces to water, toilets or even staff to ask what the hell is goin on? even if JLA is just a glorified bus station that experiance is wholly unexceptable....especially as JLA likes to sell itself as a modern international airport.

JLA would have known passenger numbers, the processing times at passport control and if they were not prepared for that or to assist passengers, then they are a cheap set up that deserves a bad reputaion, which will spread.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
Im not sure the delays related to in this story would have been experianced with the likes of Schipol...2 hours without acces to water, toilets or even staff to ask what the hell is goin on? even if JLA is just a glorified bus station that experiance is wholly unexceptable....especially as JLA likes to sell itself as a modern international airport.

JLA would have known passenger numbers, the processing times at passport control and if they were not prepared for that or to assist passengers, then they are a cheap set up that deserves a bad reputaion, which will spread.

shit happens everywhere.People have bad experiences in many airports.Yes this is a thread about Liverpool so I guess all i can add is ive never once had a problem there.I only use it about 6 or 7 times a year nowadays though

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:29 pm »
One plus I have to say though is that the security check points have improved greatly with the introduction of 8 (I think) rapi-scan lanes to speed the check in process

Agree that the security checks have improved greatly , but the airport was getting a lot of stick about it ( and rightly so ) with people missing flights due to the lengthy queue time at security . They've fixed that problem now , so should concentrate on inbound passport control and facilities .

Some people have mentioned delays at Manchester airport , but personally I've never had a problem there .

Also agree with FlashingBlade regarding the processing time at passport control . A 2 hour wait to be processed can't be defended whatever way you want to try and excuse it . The excuses offered by the the airport spokeperson are fuckin insulting to be honest . When it took me nearly an hour to get through passport control a few weeks ago , there were only 2 flights that had landed around the same time ( at 11 pm ). Just not good enough .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:20 pm »
I used the John Lennon about a month or so ago and it was all fast as fuck.

The security levels seemed a lot higher than when id used it previously but it was still really quick.

Manchester is another story.  Every time I fly from there it takes ages getting anywhere
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »
I've had good and bad experiences at JLA, in recent years the aggravation has somewhat outweighed the convenience, but even then it's just the usual things you're going to get at any airport. However, it's nothing, nothing compared to the awfulness of Manchester Airport, one of the worst I've been to. Stay as far away from there as you can is my advice.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 10:25:44 pm »
I worked there before Securicor took over on the x-ray machines last year, usually did the morning shift (4am-midday) and we had about 3,000 passengers daily since it was the summer holidays.

Anyway, was talking to the then supervisor about the changes that Securicor where bringing in and he said that they wanted to do a complete revamp of everything, from passport/ticket checks to the x-ray machines, the result however everyone noticed, would cause major delays in how many passengers got through to their flights.

Sounds like Securicor have fucked up a bit judging by this thread.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 10:43:30 pm »
be interesting to find out of those who missed their flights how many checked in 2 hrs before their flight and how many left it to the last minute ie 40 minutes before despite it being commonly known that it takes a lot longer nowadays to get through security checks at airports

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
be interesting to find out of those who missed their flights how many checked in 2 hrs before their flight and how many left it to the last minute ie 40 minutes before despite it being commonly known that it takes a lot longer nowadays to get through security checks at airports

That's a very good point to be honest mate.

When I was there, had a few asking if they could jump the queue (of about 200 passengers) because there flight was leaving in 10 minutes.

Also had one family that missed their flight because they only got to the airport 20 minutes before their flight left, expecting to be just let through without any checks. They missed their flight and wrote a letter of complaint.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »
That's a very good point to be honest mate.

When I was there, had a few asking if they could jump the queue (of about 200 passengers) because there flight was leaving in 10 minutes.

Also had one family that missed their flight because they only got to the airport 20 minutes before their flight left, expecting to be just let through without any checks. They missed their flight and wrote a letter of complaint.

i can never understand that. Thats the thing some people dont help themselves. I always arrive early just so im not in a rush. Some people like you have pointed out leave it late and then complain. I went to Dublin last year for a mates wedding.Me and the Wife to be got there early.I was meant to be getting a taxi with me mate and his missus but they were leaving it a bit late.We checked our bags in 2hrs before,went through passport control in about 20 minutes and chilled at the bar with a few drinks.He arrives late with his missus out of breath on the plane and rants on to me about the queues..Get there earlier then you fucking meff.Its not hard to be organised

Offline oldboybailey

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
I'm flying from JLA on thursday morning so I'll report back on my experience but the only problem i've had in the past is that if you fly early, say 6.30am, then the bar isn't open before going through security til right before the time you have to go through. Right pain in the arse just sitting there in the dark waiting for a beer!

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »
I'm flying from JLA on thursday morning so I'll report back on my experience but the only problem i've had in the past is that if you fly early, say 6.30am, then the bar isn't open before going through security til right before the time you have to go through. Right pain in the arse just sitting there in the dark waiting for a beer!

try the bar through security mate, theres another two

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »
I didnt find the passport control too bad, no worse than any other places.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »

There isn't a bar before security anymore.

And I'm pretty sure the thread isn't about the outgoing, it's about the farce that is Passport Control.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »
Slightly off topic but did anyone see those two chinooks flying over earlier? Anyone know what they were up to?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »
Slightly off topic but did anyone see those two chinooks flying over earlier? Anyone know what they were up to?
I've seen them about over the weekend as well.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:35:27 pm »
We saw the chinooks as well, wondered what they were up to too!! I thought someone on here might know.

The bigger Wethies at JLA used to be open to anyone but the last 2 times I've flown from there, you couldn't get up the stairs by the Lennon statue, you had to go up at the other end of the terminal, straight to security, then you could get to it when you had gone through.
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:22 pm »
Use both JLA and Manc a couple of times a year. Never had a problem at JLA, but Manc airport is a fucking nightmare! They seem to make passengers of a whole terminal go through the same security and immigration check points, with usually only 4-5 people working. It takes ages to get through.

The worst I've been is Frankfurt, they make you go out through security and back in again to change flights.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 06:57:37 pm »
I'm in export sales so i live in airports. JLA is one of the quickest to get through security, nice and small but with plenty of eataries and decent bar for it's size. Though i must admit it's the only airport on Earth i have ever had a problem for having more than 1 clear bag of liquids.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »
airport is badly managed, its as simple as that. the airport know exactly when  flights are due to arrive and depart, and the load numbers.
the problems seems to arise when flights are in any way delayed, there is a clear inability to clear bottlenecks.
if your lucky you should breeze through most of the time as its such a small airport.

They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »
I walked straight through when I got back from Istanbul.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:48 pm »
I got through pretty quickly when I came back from CDG. Mind you I was just glad to be at an English airport so maybe I just didn't notice. Luggage also came through pretty quickly IIRC.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 06:52:29 am »
I've used it loads of times. Longest it's taken me to get through it is about half an hour. It's usually about 15 minutes.

I don't take hold luggage though.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #37 on: May 1, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »
Very easy to get through on way out now. Main problem is late flights. Took about thirty mins on tuesday night at 10.30 and pity the people from the two flights that landed just after. Can be the difference between catching public transport or having to fork out for a taxi.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 5, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
Flew a few times in and out of JLA and it was a joke and still is.

Only ever fly from Manchester now and never had a problem with delays getting in or out.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 5, 2011, 03:02:37 pm »
Flew a few times in and out of JLA and it was a joke and still is.

Only ever fly from Manchester now and never had a problem with delays getting in or out.

in what way was it a "joke" mate f you dont mind me asking?