Author Topic: Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials ...just completed it!  (Read 3979 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials ...just completed it!
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:26:34 pm »
Anybody had any experience of Flucamp, I have been invited for a screening in London next week. Looks like they are pretty strict who they chose to go on to the actual medical trials. £3,750 they pay...I took early retirement from work as I'm 60 now, so that will come in handy if I get chosen!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:29:42 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Flucamp
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 06:03:30 pm »
Anybody had any experience of Flucamp, I have been invited for a screening in London next week. Looks like they are pretty strict who they chose to go on to the actual medical trials. £3,750 they pay...I took early retirement from work as I'm 60 now, so that will come in handy if I get chosen!

Fairly sure someone on here did it before. Might have been Jake.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:11 pm »
Fuck that. You won’t live long enough to cash the cheque 😀
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:30:42 am »
You must be pretty fuckin daft to anything like this. I don't even trust what's in most of our food , toothpaste etc these days.

Go and sell your arse down Limey . It's safer.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:54:06 am »
You must be pretty fuckin daft to anything like this. I don't even trust what's in most of our food , toothpaste etc these days.

Go and sell your arse down Limey . It's safer.

Haha...they say there is no risk involved, and I've never heard of anyone that's come out of it badly etc. It's sounds like an easy way to make nearly 4K for a 10 day trial. They only accept healthy candidates and sometimes you are only given placebos (without your knowledge) during the trials, so if you get lucky you don't even get drugged up with a flu virus anyway.

Hope I get accepted, take me a hell of a lot longer to earn that kind of money at Limey!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:37:35 am »
Haha...they say there is no risk involved, and I've never heard of anyone that's come out of it badly etc. It's sounds like an easy way to make nearly 4K for a 10 day trial. They only accept healthy candidates and sometimes you are only given placebos (without your knowledge) during the trials, so if you get lucky you don't even get drugged up with a flu virus anyway.

Hope I get accepted, take me a hell of a lot longer to earn that kind of money at Limey!

There are always risks and deaths and serious issues have occurred in trials

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/man-dies-during-clinical-trial-others-may-have-brain-damage/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-six-fit-young-men-9860903

I've never done it but when I had the operation to strip my pericardium and keep me alive, the docs thought it was a virus that did it, but couldn't prove it. I have to have yearly flu jabs now as the flu can now kill me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:39:37 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 06:55:16 am »
There are always risks and deaths and serious issues have occurred in trials

Yes, I accept there are risks in most everything we do and undertake, but obviously steps are taken to minimize those risks and I take it that is the case with all that Flucamp do.

The cases you refer to and not Flucamp, and hopefully (though I'm certain) no similar outcome have risen from their Flu medical trials.

It still wouldn't put me off though, I'm just one of those positive people in life, the 'it will never happen to me' brigade!

Just under 4K is not to be sniffed at if you get accepted for 10 days of your life (if you pardon the pun!)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 08:51:16 am »
I got accepted onto one of these during a summer at Uni to make some easy money, and they sent through all the consent forms and possible side effects of what they were testing and I was like nah....actually not really worth it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:05:12 am »
Yes, I accept there are risks in most everything we do and undertake, but obviously steps are taken to minimize those risks and I take it that is the case with all that Flucamp do.

The cases you refer to and not Flucamp, and hopefully (though I'm certain) no similar outcome have risen from their Flu medical trials.

It still wouldn't put me off though, I'm just one of those positive people in life, the 'it will never happen to me' brigade!

Just under 4K is not to be sniffed at if you get accepted for 10 days of your life (if you pardon the pun!)

Yep, nothing bad has happened so far. Two weeks solitary confinement would be tough though - I've had a week in isolation due to gastroenteritis and salmonella and it's not great - a fortnight without family contact would be really hard. If you can do it though, it is not the worst way to make almost £4k

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2018/05/meet-students-being-paid-3750-test-flu-vaccinations
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:37:50 am »
I don't mind the isolation, I don't see much of family and friends lately these days anyway and a break from my girlfriend will do us both good I think!

Just me my guitar and lots of reading and writing for 10 days is definite doable!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:13 am »
I got accepted onto one of these during a summer at Uni to make some easy money, and they sent through all the consent forms and possible side effects of what they were testing and I was like nah....actually not really worth it.

What that Flucamp itself or something similar?

There are plenty of similar things about, but Flucamp seems to be the most regulated and stringent in their approach, before, during and after the trials.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 05:37:50 pm »
10 days ?

Sounds like a Vippassasana with injections.

:lmao
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 09:17:18 am »
I don't mind the isolation, I don't see much of family and friends lately these days anyway and a break from my girlfriend will do us both good I think!

Just me my guitar and lots of reading and writing for 10 days is definite doable!

...apart from that you'll be ill and feel like shite.

Someone has to do these tests, and the risk is likely a lot smaller than when you'd just picked up a random flu strain, you'll have proper medical supervision. But I'd be a selfish git and not spend an extra two weeks of my life being sick.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 1, 2019, 09:23:42 am »
Went for my screening yesterday as I am a senior applicant, they do 2 screenings together.

I was all that I expected, a really thorough examination.

They checked my eyes, ears, heart rate (ECG) lung capacity, l nearly blew that (pun intended!) I couldn't  get the hand of the technique of the spira device , fail that test and you're on the way home, but I got there in the end.

They checked my knee reflexes
My spine.
Nose swab (very uncomfortable that one, I was warned it was a tough one to tolerate)
Blood pressure
Took blood and urine samples.

Lots of forms to fill in regarding my full medical history, which they will check with my medical records.

So an interesting day, met a friend from London while I was there, so that was great.

I get £75 for attending that visit.

They should let me know soon if I was successful or not.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2019, 03:16:09 pm by mikeb58 »

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Flucamp (screening one completed!)
« Reply #14 on: March 1, 2019, 10:08:41 am »
Went for my screening yesterday as I am a senior applicant, they do 2 screenings together.

They checked my eyes, ears, heart rate (ECG) lung capacity, l nearly blew that (pun intended!) I couldn't  get the hand of the technique of the spira device , fail that test and you're on the way home, but I got there in the end.

My spine.
Nose swap (very uncomfortable that one, I was warned it was a tough one to tolerate)
Blood pressure

Lots of forms to fill in regarding my full medical history, which they will check with my medical records.

So an interesting day, met a friend from London while I was there, so that was great.

£75 and a complete MOT it sounds like

Not a bad deal just for that!

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #15 on: March 1, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »

My spine.
Nose swap (very uncomfortable that one, I was warned it was a tough one to tolerate)
Blood pressure

I went on one of these once and they asked me for samples of my urine, stool, and semen.
I just took off my bills and handed them over.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #16 on: March 1, 2019, 05:14:14 pm »
Fairly sure someone on here did it before. Might have been Jake.

Went to London for the tests. They never even called me back. I must be dying.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 1, 2019, 05:27:35 pm »

Considering it was years ago, you must be dead already ;D

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2019, 08:38:04 am »

That's odd mate, thought they must let you know either way. Did you give them your email address, that's how they mainly keep in contact with me. They have called me once pre visit.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 05:52:51 pm »
Gutted...the creepy, lab tampering fuckers rejected me! Plus to add insult to injury I got the wrong train (right train wrong company, easy mistake!) going back to London for an unscheduled 2nd visit.

I got screwed for an extra £73 on the train, could have been £163 without my auld arse rail ticket! So overall after 2 visits I was out of pocket!

The fussy bastards where not my happy with thyroid blood tests, hence the 2nd visit for a furthur check. It was classed as 'just out the range ' they required.

Got to my thyroid checked now by own GP. I can still apply again in 6 months if the ranges goes up or down, to whatever the white coated, masked weirdos require to be selected.

Bitter...haha what gives you that idea!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:00:52 pm by mikeb58 »

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Flucamp....Rejection!!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:14 pm »
Gutted...the creepy, lab tampering fuckers rejected me! Plus to add insult to injury I got the wrong train (right train wrong company, easy mistake!) going back to London for an unscheduled 2nd visit.

I got screwed for an extra £73 on the train, could have been £163 without my auld arse rail ticket! So overall after 2 visits I was out of pocket!

The fussy bastards where not my happy with thyroid blood tests, hence the 2nd visit for a furthur check. It was classed as 'just out the range ' they required.

Got to my thyroid checked now by own GP. I can still apply again in 6 months if the ranges goes up or down, to whatever the white coated, masked weirdos require to be selected.

Bitter...haha what gives you that idea!

I laughed more than I should have at you being out of pocket after getting on the wrong train ;D

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 08:32:49 pm »
I got off at Stafford from Lime St (along with a few others) and went to platform 1 for the London connection as instructed as we got off. The snotty ticket collector told us our tickets where  not valid, as this was a Vigin train.I said any chance of getting off next stop as it was a geninue mistake...he said makes no odds, next stop is Euston!

My total fare was just over £100 for the 2nd trip, Flucamp gave me £20.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:44 pm »
Got my thyroid blood tests back.. the specific test Flucamp where worried about (my TSH) was .2 over the normal range, classed as 'subclinical' and no treatment or medication required

But I have now applied for another trial, for osteoarthritis sufferers, 2.5k for 2 nights. The criteria for this trial might not be as rigorous, they certainly asked less questions when I called them, so fingers crossed I get accepted this time!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:06:49 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Flucamp/ Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2019, 10:43:25 am »
I had the arthritis first screening on Tuesday and passed!! Bloods etc all ok. This trial is with Hammersmith Medical Research (HMR)

The screening was similar to Flucamp (very rigorous) but obviously more concentrated on my joints rather than my lung capacity, some weird tests involving vibrating bars on my thumbs and toes, and getting jabbed with 'dull' or 'sharp' needle, blind folded I had to correctly say which it was.

Next step, is an X-ray on my iffy right knee next Weds.

If I get on the trial itself it's 4 nights on a 6 bed ward, no need for isolation or quarantine for this one, no risk of spreading a virus etc, actually prefer my own room, but don't care now, just want to get accepted!

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Flucamp/ Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials (passed 1st screening!)
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2019, 12:21:57 pm »
I worked at a Pharmaceutical company and worked on many clinical trials systems, its money for old rope if you are eligible. I know many contractors who expressed an interest, got the full medical (+evidence) (which was needed to contract in the US) then had a change of heart regarding the trials, free top to toe medical. There are risks but most trials are a blinded variety so you could end up with a harmless placebo, plus the facilities you are in are far superior than any NHS ward. Im retired now and would do them no problem but I have several ilnessess that would bar me.
It is also important in getting new medicines to market so someone needs to do them.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2019, 02:32:12 pm »
This sounds fucking nuts to be honest.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #26 on: April 4, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »

Nothing wrong with Mike's nuts...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #27 on: April 5, 2019, 09:53:35 am »
I worked at a Pharmaceutical company and worked on many clinical trials systems, its money for old rope if you are eligible. I know many contractors who expressed an interest, got the full medical (+evidence) (which was needed to contract in the US) then had a change of heart regarding the trials, free top to toe medical. There are risks but most trials are a blinded variety so you could end up with a harmless placebo, plus the facilities you are in are far superior than any NHS ward. Im retired now and would do them no problem but I have several ilnessess that would bar me.
It is also important in getting new medicines to market so someone needs to do them.

Yes, some good points and an easy way to earn money, especially if like me you took early retirement and finding it difficult to get part time work now.
The Osteoarthritis trials are ideal for me because I suffer from it badly in my right knee, the X-ray next week will determine to what extent my condition is and whether I will be of help to their clinical studies.

The money is great, plus I am interested in the whole process anyway. The wards at the HMR are nothing like an NHS ward, and the lounges look really comfortable,well equipped, with free access to sky, Netflix, PlayStation 4 and even a pool table!

Even if you fail to qualify for the actual studies, you have been given a free and extremely througher medical examination, which could pick up something you where unaware of.

I love my trips to London as well, all fares paid for, and I get to see my Brazilian friend!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2019, 10:49:58 am »

It's not everbodies cup of tea I'll give you that, and it might smack of desperation to some. It's not as batty as it seems though, all pretty straight forward,as risk free as possible and it's for a good medical cause at the end of the day.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #29 on: April 5, 2019, 02:06:08 pm »

My spine.
Blood pressure

how's the new one?

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2019, 04:00:56 pm »
how's the new one?

haha well spotted, bad typo. Fixed it now!
« Last Edit: April 5, 2019, 11:49:17 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Flucamp/ Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials (Finally accepted...but!)
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 08:36:42 am »
Passed all the screenings for the arthritis trials with Hammersmith Medical Research (HMR) went to some posh clinic off Harley St for 3 separate X-rays to assess the severity of my condition, passed that too.So finally, after jumping through many hoops got accepted for the HMR trials to begin on the 29th April. This was for a 4 night stay, plus 7 follow up outpatient visits.

But....they called me last Thursday to apologise and tell me the sponsors had pulled out this particular trial, so cancelled my visit!

They said this does happen occasionally and they would email me if/when the trials are back on (in 2 or 3 months hopefully) as I would be sure to be accepted (though another screening would be necessary)

They gave me £140 for my troubles, but I did get 5 lovely days out in London to see my Brazilian girlfriend, with all travel expenses paid, so it was all well worth it!

Shame it all fell through in the end, but hopefully HMR get back in touch to say the arthritis trials are back on again soon.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:15:14 am by mikeb58 »

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Flucamp/ Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials (Finally accepted...but!)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 11:25:54 am »
HMR did get back in touch, and despite one further last minute cancellation I finally made it onto the ward for a 4 night stay last week.
It was a great, realaxing and peaceful experience. I was given the 'study medicine' drug for arthritis on  my 2nd day, this was followed by lots of procedures to check various things.

I had constant ECG's, all vital obs taken, blood and urine samples taken on that day, but the remaining 2 days all these tests just took place between 8am/10am...with the rest of the day to myself.

So I just chilled, watching Sky TV, reading, writing, going on their PC's etc, great weekend for sport too!

The staff where lovely, as where the other 'subjects' (haha as we're referred to!)

I was the only one on an arthritis trial, as the sponsors find it really difficult to get volunteers who meet the right criteria, so in their words they treated me like 'gold'!

I have had no reaction or side affects from the drug, I was one of the first humans this doseage of the drug was tested on, so not surprising there are plenty of follow up outpatient visits lined up, 8 in all.

All in all, I loved my stay at HMR, got away from the stress of life for a few days, nice time in London while I was there, and got over 2k for my troubles!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:43:12 am by mikeb58 »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials ...just completed it!
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2019, 11:40:46 am »
Mike smiling happily after banking £2.5k

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Re: Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials ...just completed it!
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2019, 11:42:42 am »
haha....nice one!