Author Topic: Liverpool vs Wolves preview - 16:30, Sunday 29 Dec  (Read 24413 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool vs Wolves preview - 16:30, Sunday 29 Dec
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:40:09 pm »
Top that! Liverpool turned on the class and Leicester, a likely top-three side, couldn't cope. Such was the dominance Virgil had to ask around if he could help with any odd jobs and Allison looked like he was doing a sudoku at one point.

It's a hard task, but topping that is what the lads will be looking to do this Sunday. Some teams might think there's a risk of complacency after such a performance, but I'm not going to waste your time with that. We all know the drive of this team. They'll be wanting to see out a momentous year in style, while supporters can look back at the decade. A mixed decade, to say the least. If ever you feel for even a moment you're not enjoying this era (yes, it's an era now) as much as you possibly can, think back to where we were at the start of the decade.

Yep, level on points with Birmingham halfway through the season. Torres had just scored a last minute winner at Villa, helping close the five point gap they had over us. Don't you dare take this time for granted.

But that's enough about the last decade. You'll hear enough about that elsewhere. Back to the present:

vs

It's the time of the season. For loving? Yes that too, they deserve it, but mostly for a crazy number of games that barely leave time for a full training session in December. Unlike previous seasons, we have a squad that's capable of coping with the current injury crisis. It's already coped with losing key members of the spine for months, in Allison, Matip and Fabinho. And the next players up are all talented footballers, just as driven to win, and desperate for any sniff of playing time in this side. They've even developed a theme in recent months, where players coming into the starting lineup after a spell out remind us of their quality with a goal on top of their performances (looking at you Lallana, Shaqiri and Keita). On that note, I'm sure I've heard that Gomez is our only league starter not find the scoresheet. Just going to leave that there, Joe, you do the rest..

Wolves will be the second of three league games in a week period and while we can expect some rotation it likely won't be until the derby that we see more than a few changes. After travelling for Boxing Day, and a quick 7,000 mile round trip to pick up our best in the world honour, we can at least be pleased our next couple of games are at home. But Wolves have their own fatigue to deal with too. Not only have they played twelve games in Europe (half were qualifiers), but they'll have had a day less rest than us and, like Sheffield United and Leicester, will be chasing the league's third best team immediately before us. We're going to exhaust them, if they aren't already. Perhaps they'll do some of their own rotating, and prioritise other games - they've just started the same team for five games in a row. They'll presumably feel better about their home game, which incidentally is less than four weeks later.

So what about their team? I'll openly admit I've not seen much of Wolves this year but they seem to be a tight squad. From the outside looking in they've performed impressively in the league given the Europa commitments. It's also clear to all that Traore is finally having his breakout season in terms of end product to compliment his powerful and pacey dribbling. Other key players make up their spine: Jiminez, Neves Coady and Rui Patricio. Jiminez is a tireless physical battler but a good footballer too. If they're to pose any threat to us, he'll need to play a big role in keeping the ball up the pitch and feeding their dangerous players. Neves is the kind of midfielder who when he's left in a vacuum can easily manipulate the ball to go where he wants, including an unerring long range shot. And our very own Connor Coady makes up the spine. His range of passing is a key threat, as teams often seem to try the long diagonal switch (if they escape our press) to go one on one with our retreating full backs. Their keeper is solid, a good distributor and a leader.

And our team? Well at time of writing, Klopp has said that Lovren and Matip are in a good place but aren't ready to play in the December games and Fabinho is still out for a few weeks. Gomez continues his upward trend in form, following his MOTM performance in the World Club Cup with a game where we allowed no shots on target and his distribution was quick. After a couple of weeks where we've enjoyed the kind of midfield threes the slightly more gung ho among our support call for, it's great we can welcome Gini back into the side. We all saw how much more control he gives us, both in retaining possession and in squashing counters before they've even formed. Traore has been starting on the right of late so that suits Gini's usual spot, providing Henderson is ready to go after his painful knock. We may see Jones, Williams or Elliot on the bench, but barring unexpected issues we're unlikely to turn to Jones or debut the other two. Although I'm sure we'd all love for us to be in a position to reward their performances against adults with some minutes.

Finally onto the crowd. The travelling Kop have been in fine form. Not only in staying 'match fit' during a taxing Christmas schedule of their own, but also in doing us proud supporting the kids at Villa Park. But we're back at home this time, and that means a different responsibility for those in attendance. Not only will they need to do everything they can to support the team and keep the tempo high when the match slows down or lulls, in a match between two teams with a lot of games in their legs, but they'll have to be at their creative best to think of a song that Wolves won't be able to copy.

We've had a couple of nervous home crowds, Salah said himself after Watford that the players could hear the panic from the crowd at 1-0. It can happen when we get ourselves in a good position. There's almost more panic while things are going well than when things are falling apart all around you - like you feel there's something to lose as opposed to 'can't get any worse'. If you're in the ground, and you find yourself concerned that things aren't going as smoothly as you'd like, be conscious that any noises of discontent or worry transmit to the players. If you catch yourself doing this, pause and reflect on how good our team is. Maybe reflect on where we were as a club in 2010, and stop yourself. Our players have proved they're strong enough to find a way to win even without the crowd putting the work in for them, but when the crowd is on board we're capable of even more amazing things. We're all lucky to be watching such a good side, and they also happen to be incredibly fun too. Relish it. Sing along. Lift the players if the tempo slows. But most of all, even if you don't want to do any of that, just don't worry don't panic and don't act entitled - we all need to do our jobs, no matter how small, to help achieve what we want. We're a great side, with a great manager, in a great period. Drink that in.

A few talking points to see it out:
1) Can Firmino stay in the goals? And if so, will he be the first of our scorers to be serenaded by the opposition since the Porto PA system played the Gini song?
2) Did you know... Nuno Espirito Santo was Rio Ave manager when Fabinho was brought to Europe. He stayed there for a month before he was loaned to Real Madrid('s second team) for the season and then Monaco the next season. Bit of an odd one, gonna go out on a limb and suggest an agent or two were left happy. We know from Nuno managing at Wolves that doesn't mind influential agents.
3) When Takumi Minamoto arrives, will he immediately challenge Gini and Bobby for the best smile title? Or will he need some time in training to get to grips with the demands?
4) After Virgil joined the party, will we see a new karate kicker make their debut against Wolves? Or will Sadio return to form?

And for those wanting an obligatory starting 11 list, I'll kick us off:
Alisson
we are really good
who cares? strong
whoever we play

;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:56:01 pm by Classycara »

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Wolves preview - 16:30, Sunday 29 Dec
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:45:43 pm »
This will be fun :D

Offline coutinho and firmino

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:46:48 pm »
They should be tired after that

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:49:49 pm »
They should be knackered and we should be going in for the kill, the earlier the better. I'm expecting that Lallana or Milner will come in midfield, but not sure for who, perhaps Hendo.

Perhaps Klopp rotates one of the front 3 as well, more than likely Bobby or Mane seeing as Salah was taken off early against Leicester.

Becker

Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Milner
Keita

Salah
Bobby
Shaqiri

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 09:51:46 pm »
Wolves have a small squad and they went chasing for goals tonight, they'll be knackered. But I said that Wolves are a better away team so we'll see. It will be another hard fought match though.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 09:55:31 pm »
Play the kids.... put some life back into this procession of a title race Zzzzzzzzz

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 10:02:34 pm »
They should be tired after that

I think Nuno will make a minimum 5 changes for this match. Can easily see him rest a few in readiness for their game on Wednesday.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 10:06:41 pm »
Keep Traoré and Jiménez quiet and I think we'll have this one since our front three is way sharper than their backline. That being said, both Brighton and Watford got quite exciting and Wolverhampton are by far the best team of those three.
Linudden.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 10:14:08 pm »
Going to be a tough game, they’ve only lost 3 all season and Traore looks like he’s a handful, almost more suited to a rugby pitch!

Would play Mane, Salah and Bobby and then hopefully be in a good position to be able to bring Mane off after 60mins and then rest one of them against Sheffield Utd.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 10:39:18 pm »
Drink that in

Great rallying call CC.. this team's incredible achievements deserve to be lauded and sung without pause. The triumph is truly under way.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 10:43:16 pm »
Interesting team selection for Sunday.
Given Salah and Keita came off the other day, might be an indication that they will play. Bobby is in form, so might be worth pushing him for another game, but its probably in the hands of the sports scientist, to see how he is. Might be one for Divock to start?
Given Hendo hobbling off, maybe he misses this one and then back for Sheffield?

Part of me wants us to go strong as possible and put another nail in City and Leicesters coffin. Does that mean the usual front three, or does Klopp pull out a formation like for Everton?Games coming thick and fast and I guess that he has to think 2-3 games ahead. The more I think about it the more he rotates only lightly for the two league games and we have a heavily rotated team for Everton.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 10:46:30 pm »
Traore was rather quiet whilst Man City kept him out wide. When he decided to come in more central he was far more effective. He'll need some tactical fouls to stop him getting within shooting range.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:01:05 pm »
Im not sure Traore will start.

Be risky for Wolves as they play wednesday as well

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 11:15:54 pm »
All about how Wolves approach this, if they go full pelt, they risk being totally done in for their following game, all in the pursuit of 3 unlikely points it has to be said.

I can see 2 or 3  of their players being rested, all depending on how tired they are after tonight's game. For us, it's a lot simpler,  I think we need to go full strength and try and score early on, and get the game wrapped up early as possible, then make changes.

We can't take these lightly, but circumstances are in our favour due the way this weeks fixtures worked out.

Any kind of win will do me, which would put us 17 points ahead of City in Dec with the same games played, that is one incredible achievement!  I know City play a bit later on, but you know what I mean!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:04 pm »
Sensible approach for Wolves would be to make 10 changes and rest their first team for Watford away on Wednesday as some of their players risk injury if they play us on Sunday, especially as they will have to work like mad against us. I think we will make at least 4 changes to our side but we could even see Jones or Williams get a start too.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 11:25:58 pm »
We get to wear our world champions patch for this. Big performance to do it justice lads 💪
YNWA

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 11:35:28 pm »
Sensible approach for Wolves would be to make 10 changes and rest their first team for Watford away on Wednesday as some of their players risk injury if they play us on Sunday, especially as they will have to work like mad against us. I think we will make at least 4 changes to our side but we could even see Jones or Williams get a start too.

Wolves aren't going to make 10 changes to their side and we're not going to start with Jones or Williams. We may make some changes, but it'll probably be Origi/Shaqiri/Milner/Lallana that may come into the side. We didn't look tired against Leicester and then have 4 days rest until Sheffield. We can then play the kids against Everton.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 11:38:47 pm »
We could do what we did against Everton who also had less recovery time against us and ask a fully rested side to play what would likely be the same Wolves side as today. Or we decide to blitz them and control the game before making subs.

Oh and thanks for the PL for giving us a Thursday game. I am sure their cheque is in the post
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:41:32 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 12:01:44 am »
We could do what we did against Everton who also had less recovery time against us and ask a fully rested side to play what would likely be the same Wolves side as today. Or we decide to blitz them and control the game before making subs.

Oh and thanks for the PL for giving us a Thursday game. I am sure their cheque is in the post

Pfff, the funds have been transferred to an untraceable offshore account long ago.  ;D

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 12:08:34 am »
Can't say a lot about what Wolves might do but they have some good players and they'll be tough. We need to be at our best to beat them and I think we can on the showing at Leicester. Adama is their X-factor.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 12:10:18 am »
We’ll make a handful of changes I expect if we can with who we have available like we did v Everton

Wolves will have to make a few also

Be tight but I’ll say 2-0 reds

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 01:16:23 am »
Referee: Anthony Taylor.
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn.
Fourth official: Mike Dean.
VAR: Simon Hooper.
Assistant VAR: Andy Garratt.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 03:03:47 am »
Wolves expended a ton of energy today - so hopefully that catches up to them on Sunday.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 03:24:58 am »
think divock/shaq should be starting somehow.

knowing how knackered they be late in the game after the city game, we could bring in mane/salah late on depending on whether we have the game wrapped up.

anyone think nat might make the bench as emergency CB or is it too early? or maybe hoever filling up the seats.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 03:42:50 am »
Robbo/Hendo has a job in their hands with Traōre. Guy is on fire. Keep him quiet and job done.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 05:39:19 am »
I’ll be surprised if Wolves don’t rest a good few players

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 05:42:13 am »
think divock/shaq should be starting somehow.

knowing how knackered they be late in the game after the city game, we could bring in mane/salah late on depending on whether we have the game wrapped up.

anyone think nat might make the bench as emergency CB or is it too early? or maybe hoever filling up the seats.

Phillips isn't available for selection until the Everton game.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 06:02:56 am »
Phillips isn't available for selection until the Everton game.

Why? He should be back Jan 1st and the game against Sheffield is in January, so he could very well be on bench for that game.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 06:08:50 am »
Going for a close 1-0 win here
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 06:14:21 am »
They were toothless yesterday for large portions of the game until City tired. Stop the supply to Adama Traore like we did with Vardy and we'll be okay. I'm sure we'll see some rotation with Milly and Divock making an appearance. There will be some heavy legs in that Wolves team on Sunday.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 06:39:54 am »
It's still a crucial period, we should continue with the wins. It's a must win for me. Come on reds!

:scarf
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 08:35:55 am »
Same team as Thursday with one change, Millie for Hendo.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 09:12:38 am »
Reckon there will be 1-2 changes, but zinc guess it depend on whether Klopp wants to make small tweaks or, like against Everton, change up the team to give Wolves a tactical problem that they didn't know they'd face.

I think Wolves will find it difficult to recover, they went full pelt to get that win so they will have to make big changes else risk injuries to the likes of Traore who rely on pace.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 09:13:43 am »
Thanks for the OP, a great read! So many questions...

Minamino will challenge on the smiles front, there will be no new karate kids at least for now, and Joe to have his own Mbappe moment very soon!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2019, 09:18:20 am »
I'm going for an easy 3-0 win. We have more than enough to keep it tidy at the back and our front line will be licking their lips to go again.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2019, 09:27:17 am »
Come on Redmen!
Thanks for the op CC, enjoyed that. Chuffed to be going, looking forward to seeing the new badge in and the decade out.
Yesterday must affect their line up, good news as they are a tough team to play and always well organised. If we play anywhere near what we did at Leicester we will create good chances. Think we will see 4231 with Shaqiri, Bobby plus 1 behind Mo.
Finish well and we win well.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2019, 10:07:44 am »
I was checking the listings about 6 times last night as couldn't figure out how they could be playing us so close to City. Manager must be fuming! How come that's happened?

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2019, 10:12:56 am »
No its not to do with wolves game but quick question, anyone know why salah was substituted vs Leicester? Thought he tool chances where passing would have been better in more than one occasion, just not clear if klopp pulled him off because of it

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
No its not to do with wolves game but quick question, anyone know why salah was substituted vs Leicester? Thought he tool chances where passing would have been better in more than one occasion, just not clear if klopp pulled him off because of it
he was poor.

Salah tends to get more selfish the longer a game goes without him scoring.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2019, 10:53:32 am »
That was an epic battle by Wolves, and although they were up against 10-men, they had to fight from 0-2 down to get their late win.

They did this against a defensively weak side who usually benefit from lots of possession and are attacking most of the time - meaning that their defence isn't exposed. When City couldn't do this, they looked decidedly less impressive. Wolves are going to have a very different experience against Liverpool, although I think they'll be a couple of goals down again, but this time they'll be no comeback.

Not sure how they're going to cope with Trent and Robbo, without trying to press ridiculously high and at a high intensity. The problem with that being our ability to pass inch-perfect long balls over the top from the centre of the pitch. Also, the threat of Keita running at the defence, if he plays.

Klopp and the staff know the detailed fitness levels of the players, and that might dictate rotation for this one, but I'd be surprised if it's wholesale changes. I reckon a couple maximum of and Klopp will instead look to rest players if we're leading comfortably. Back 5 will be the same.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005