Author Topic: Liverpool vs Wolves preview - 16:30, Sunday 29 Dec  (Read 24432 times)

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Wolves preview - 16:30, Sunday 29 Dec
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2019, 10:19:53 pm »
Just checked on a few sites and it seems to say that (correct me if I have taken this the wrong way!) where Nat is already registered for us, he should be available immediately for selection after loan recall as he was already a Liverpool player.

"Phillips will come back to Merseyside at the beginning of next month and be eligible for Reds matches, starting with the FA Cup tie against Everton on January 5."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/380083-nat-phillips-returns-from-stuttgart-loan

Online slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2019, 10:34:39 pm »
And the show rolls on. We need to play a high tempo game to stretch a team that must be tired after their exertions against City. We may start with a few fresh faces and bring on the more experienced players if needed.

The key thing is to not allow Wolves any time to settle and to move them all over the pitch.

3 points for us is the only important statistic.

I can't see then being too tired mate to be honest, they has the extra man for most of the game and had the vast majority of the ball. They'll be brimming with confidence, so will we, and theres no better team in the country than us when we're full of confidence.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2019, 10:39:30 pm »
So in theory taa can get a ban for a yellow card, but as wolves player with as many yellows won't?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2019, 10:39:46 pm »
I can't see then being too tired mate to be honest, they has the extra man for most of the game and had the vast majority of the ball. They'll be brimming with confidence, so will we, and theres no better team in the country than us when we're full of confidence.

They worked bloody hard. They might have had an extra player, but they went 0-2 down and had to fight to get the win.

Certainly wasn't a stroll against 10 men.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2019, 10:40:32 pm »
So in theory taa can get a ban for a yellow card, but as wolves player with as many yellows won't?

Yes, it's based on the number of games the club has played in the league. Seems fair...?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Online slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51:31 pm »
They worked bloody hard. They might have had an extra player, but they went 0-2 down and had to fight to get the win.

Certainly wasn't a stroll against 10 men.

Course it wasn't a stroll, but I am not expecting tiredness to be a factor for them more than it is for us. Maybe it will, a lot of teams have really rotated today, maybe it will be the same for both sides who knows. As long as we get 3 points and no injuries they can run us all over the park for all I care

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2019, 10:53:13 pm »

Of course they will be knackered, they will have 24hrs less rest than us. It will probably only show up later in the game, esp as we have more options off the bench.

They will have to make changes, we will only change if where we think we need it.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2019, 10:57:12 pm »
Does Slappy know that Nuno recycles the same players every fuckin' time. He's got a small squad mate.  :D

Online slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2019, 10:58:16 pm »
Of course they will be knackered, they will have 24hrs less rest than us. It will probably only show up later in the game, esp as we have more options off the bench.

They will have to make changes, we will only change if where we think we need it.

Forgot about the extra 24 hrs right enough. That being said, they just came back from 2-0 down to beat Man City with a late winner, tiredness will be the last thing on their mind. Just smash them into next week and then we can discuss whether the fuckers were tired or not

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2019, 11:08:32 pm »
Even allowing for injuries we still have a strong squad with options in most positions to rest the most tired players.

Alisson
TAA - Gomez - VVD - Milner
Wijnaldum - Lallana - Keita
Salah - Origi - Shaq

I'm assuming Keita and Salah will start as they were taken off early against Leicester.  Hopefully Hendo is fit as he's more mobile and physical in the six role than Lallana.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »
We should be winning this very comfortably. Yes Wolves are tired and all, but above everything, they're just kinda shit in comparison to us. The game against City with 10 men showed they can barely string an attack when they can't specifically play to their full strengths, and Van Dijk & Gómez showed they can comfortably handle that pace when up against Vardy & Co.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2019, 11:14:35 pm »
"Phillips will come back to Merseyside at the beginning of next month and be eligible for Reds matches, starting with the FA Cup tie against Everton on January 5."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/380083-nat-phillips-returns-from-stuttgart-loan

Aha! Thought he was already called back. Explains it.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2019, 11:26:18 pm »
Wolves will go at us with their strongest starting 11, they are currently sitting 7th with a game in hand on 2 of the other teams above them and they could actually go 4th place which means CL, and for a team like wolves I dont think it matters they played 48 hours before, it will be gung ho from them in pursuit of a possible top 4 place, could be a really smart move or be the undoing of them, either way we need to field our fittest starting 11 and think about the next game when it comes round.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2019, 11:34:43 pm »
Thanks for the excellent OP.

Counting down the hours, just can’t wait to watch us at the moment.

Expecting a few changes here for us, certainly in midfield and up front. There isn’t much room for manoeuvre at the back due to the injuries. No idea whether they make changes and think it’ll be a good tough game, but if we play the way we can then we win.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2019, 11:38:35 pm »
Wolves may have rested players but the fact that they played against 10 men and had most of the ball against City probably means they will go into this one at full strength.

On the flip side in his interview today their manager said he is considering some changes. Will see tomorrow I guess.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:45:25 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2019, 11:45:39 pm »
:-\

yup . Was thinking Shaq and put down Ox.  I'm an idiot

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2019, 01:16:45 am »
I see news headlines of Jimenez, Doherty, Traore all sending warnings that they’re going to beat us. Are they serious? From having 5% chance maybe, now they have 0

Come on lads. Rotation or no rotation ... let’s beat this bunch of shameless copycats. Sing your own songs you muppets!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2019, 01:31:53 am »

I don’t think you can recall a loan player outside of the transfer window.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2019, 05:48:31 am »
Great Op Classycara. Excitied for the game I think Klopp will rotate a little.

I think we will see
Alisson
Trent-Gomez-Virgil-Robertson
Gini-Lallana
Shaqiri-Firmino-Origi
Salah

Could see Mane instead of Salah also. Maybe Milner starts also. Hendo May start also

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2019, 06:04:23 am »
They will come to Anfield hoping to salvage a point. Parking the bus and hoofing it to Traore on quick breaks. Most important for Pool is to spread it wide and have Naby And Mane to cut in and break them down with quick one-twos. Need Allison higher up the pitch too to cut off Long balls forward.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2019, 06:36:10 am »
A difficult one for sure today. Their style and set up are perfect to hurt us. Hopefully we are on it from the start, and their previous exploits and lack of rest will take its toll. Certainly wouldn't be upset to see Traore start on the bench.

Hopefully the shortened rest period for them, and general tiredness (small squad) will take its toll and a couple of early goals from us will make them lose interest.

Would really like to see Mo hit some good form. He seems really patchy this season.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2019, 06:56:14 am »
Rotate a couple of players if any could do with a break. We should still have enough to beat what should be a leggy Wolves side at Anfield.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2019, 08:00:23 am »
Ten man city, for most of the game, only just lost. City are 13 points or something behind us. We really should have the beating of Wolves.
Hate sounding over confident, but it's the belief that Klopp's instilled.

Anyway, I'm loving all this footie, feels like we , or a 'rival' is playing \ losing every evening.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2019, 08:39:52 am »
Klopp has done the right thing by using the strongest team vs Leicester, that clearly means he will make changes tomorrow. The following players will have to play, as we have to be in top shape again on Thursday:

Shaqiri, Origi, Milner, Lallana

Gini has more energy so he can be retained.

Salah played both games in Qatar, but since he was pulled out early vs Leicester, it's possible Klopp will start him again.

Finally, Klopp can indeed freshen things up with the 4 changes, but once again, we desperately lack a wing-back option to help Trent and Robbo.
These boys will need a holiday soon.

How:

Becker
Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Milner
Gini, Lallana,
Shaqiri,
Mane, Firmino, Origi
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:47:44 am by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2019, 08:59:01 am »
Wolves may have rested players but the fact that they played against 10 men and had most of the ball against City probably means they will go into this one at full strength.

On the flip side in his interview today their manager said he is considering some changes. Will see tomorrow I guess.

If Wolves go into this game with largely the same team that played 42 hours before they will get destroyed by us. He has to make changes for fresh legs, otherwise they will get run ragged the last 20-30 minutes of the match.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2019, 09:05:20 am »
If Wolves go into this game with largely the same team that played 42 hours before they will get destroyed by us. He has to make changes for fresh legs, otherwise they will get run ragged the last 20-30 minutes of the match.
Their manager already said before the city game he would rotate , for one of the city or our game

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2019, 09:12:38 am »
Their manager already said before the city game he would rotate , for one of the city or our game

I said earlier in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if he made as many as 9 or even 10 changes (I would suspect it will be around 7 or 8 ) with one eye on staying fresh for their much more winnable game mid-week.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2019, 09:19:08 am »
I think in terms of the front 3 today one will be on the bench (most likely Mane or Bobby) and Origi starts.

Vs Sheffield United I think all 3 start.

Fa Cup 2 drop down to the bench.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2019, 09:52:26 am »
Wolves play Friday/Sunday/Wednesday, which is nuts.

Thought they went full strength versus City too?

We need to go strongest team for this just to keep momentum.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2019, 09:54:37 am »
Think they will throw everything at us today - they have nothing to lose and no one would seriously expect them to trouble us. It really is a free hit for them and what a feather in their cap it would be to be the first team to beat us this season.

Stuff like this freaks me out and brings back memories of the Wimbledon cup final.

A clever workman like team performance is what we need, keep the ball, run them ragged and pick them off.
Think Trent should be protected and be on the bench and wouldn't be surprised if Hendo and Bobby were rested.

Lets finish the year on a high with a win at Anfield.  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2019, 10:01:08 am »
Expecting a tough game to be honest. I think we’ll be focussed on what they can do counter attacking wise if given the chance so I kind of expect a more controlled approach. I wouldn’t blame Wolves for deciding to park the bus somewhat as well given their hectic schedule and having only played the other night.

I think we’ll win but I don’t expect a Leicester esque type game if that makes sense

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2019, 10:06:58 am »
Looks like I am in a minority but I think we will absolutely smash these to pieces. I reckon Nuno would take your hand off for a 1-0 defeat right now.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2019, 10:08:57 am »
C'MON YOU REDS!
3 points.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2019, 10:13:17 am »
Did those very worried about Wolves and especially Traore, actually watch Wolves against City? Did they watch us against Leicester?

City's defence was awful, and their counter-attacks weren't all that 90% of the time. City were nothing like this Liverpool side, with the solidity in defence and potency in attack.

City certainly didn't attack up the wings like we do with Trent and Robbo, and I think Guardiola was wrong to sub Aguero off when Ederson was given his marching orders. Made it easier for Wolves - who still went 0-2 down!

As for Traore and he's been playing better than previously, there's now a footballer on display rather than just some muscle-bound 100m sprinter. But he's not that good. Klopp will play Robbo (I'll be surprised if he doesn't for this one) and Traore will have some defensive duties to do, otherwise there's going to be a lot of space for our attacks out wide. Wolves are no mugs, but our back 5 and the defensive protection from our midfield will be enough to negate their threat.

They looked leggy and exhausted against City (who also looked knackered), and we play at another level of intensity to City. We will also have 11 men, 11 men who are in the best side in the world.

We also have an extra day's rest, which is key. Our game against Leicester was a stroll compared to Wolves' game against City.

We're also at Anfield.

We're also wearing our World Champions shirts.

I'd expect Klopp to make minimal changes with the available players, and maybe up front is where we'll see them if he and the staff think Mane and Salah need a rest. But maybe he thinks they're fine and need more game time to get their goal-scoring sharpness back.

Milner coming in to the side is also likely. I'd be slightly surprised if this is at fullback though. We're playing a top 6 side, so Klopp will not be taking them lightly. They're not Everton. But they're also not Liverpool.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:03 am »
Wouldn't shock me if Wolves try Adama on the left to go at Arnold, as he won't get joy against Robbo/Mane to be honest.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2019, 10:15:31 am »
Wouldn't shock me if Wolves try Adama on the left to go at Arnold, as he won't get joy against Robbo/Mane to be honest.

He'd be useless out there. He's not skilful enough to switch wings. Not against a top-class fullback like Trent. Also, our midfield will offer far more protection than City's did.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2019, 10:18:55 am »
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Traore start on the bench, and him brought on later in the game to run at tired legs.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:02 am »

Wolves didn’t rest any players. They started their strongest team and ran out of ideas at 2-0 down. They had to change something. Johnny was playing poorly and I suspect Jota was carrying a knock. Vinagre and the young lad Neto swung the tie for them. City had to look after that left flank more, which freed Traore to cause more damage.

We need to watch out for Jota (if he plays). He is the one who breaks off the defensive line- their Vardy.
Neves springs the attacks from deep, occasionally shoots when close to goal.
Shut these two and that’s it. Traore for me is way too predictable so can be controlled much easier.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:17 am »
No its not to do with wolves game but quick question, anyone know why salah was substituted vs Leicester? Thought he tool chances where passing would have been better in more than one occasion, just not clear if klopp pulled him off because of it

He played near 90 minutes in the CWC semi, then near 120 minutes in the final. 60 against Leicester. He's having his minutes managed so he doesnt pick up an injury.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:26 am »
Wolves have only lost 3 all season so are obviously tough opposition. But not as tough as us. Leicester away style thumping or Leicester at home injury time winner. Anything will do...just get another 3 points on the board Reds, by whatever means. Give zero hope to the chasing pack.