Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1037696 times)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16280 on: September 13, 2017, 03:43:33 pm »
Because I am incredibly shallow.

I have the 6 Plus at the moment and was waiting for a more signifcant upgrade really. A bigger screen but a smaller phone seems significant enough.

Surely you might as well get the £1150 on then?

Think I will end up getting it but I have see.

How much would a new screen be if you smash it?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16281 on: September 13, 2017, 03:52:34 pm »
Worth noting that for all the technical features of different phones, the build quality of apple phones seems a country mile ahead of the opposition..

Which matters to some but not to others..

Agreed on some makes (especially some of the chinese ones), but this seems an uninformed comment in general, at flagship level Samsung, HTC & LG have same build quality - I would place SONY at higher above all those, inluding Apple - the Sony Xperia XZ Premium is incredible.

On a more budget phone note, I got my Dad for his birthday the Motorola G5 and that was a full metal body also, very impressive build for a cheap phone (£150 16Gb model with 64gb microsd card thrown in at minimum extra cost)

But yeah, at flagship level, don't agree on superior phone build quality, would agree if you're talking about Laptops though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:54:48 pm by PhilV »

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16282 on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »
Agreed on some makes (especially some of the chinese ones), but this seems an uninformed comment in general, at flagship level Samsung, HTC & LG have same build quality - I would place SONY at higher above all those, inluding Apple - the Sony Xperia XZ Premium is incredible.
Never heard of it. First review I clicked on from Techradar

Design

Glass, metal and plastic build isn't the most premium <- :D
Side-mounted fingerprint scanner is useful
SIM slot is fiddly

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16283 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Never heard of it. First review I clicked on from Techradar

Design

Glass, metal and plastic build isn't the most premium <- :D
Side-mounted fingerprint scanner is useful
SIM slot is fiddly

Interesting comment on the sim system, I prefer it to my Samsungs, on the SONY it's a flap and the SIM and MicroSD push in and push to eject also as opposed to the normal  pin in hole tray system but fair enough.

As for the build, I will respectfully disagree on that one, my friends Xperia Premium feels nicer on my hand than my S7 but I guess these are preference things  :)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16284 on: September 13, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »
Apple's build quality is miles ahead of any of their rivals. I'm sure some competitors make a very nice phone too, but whenever I've used one there's always something missing. I swear I haven't been taken in by Apple's brainwashing, but I find products like the iPhone a joy to use compared to the rest. When I can next afford to upgrade my phone, it'll be to get this latest one.

Here's why I buy Apple products in one small story. I was digging around in the attic just the other day and came across my old iMac from around 1999. At first I got it down just to have it on display because it still looks beautiful. Then I switched it on and after all these years the thing still bloody works perfectly, I can still browse the internet on it. If that were any other computer left in my attic for over 15 years I think it's safe to say it wouldn't still be working.
I just cringe at voice messages, let alone the idea of a voice message delivered by a lump of shit.
Haha, yeah that's one idea we can all agree would never have seen the light of day under Jobs.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #16285 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »
Apple's build quality is miles ahead of any of their rivals. I'm sure some competitors make a very nice phone too, but whenever I've used one there's always something missing. I swear I haven't been taken in by Apple's brainwashing, but I find products like the iPhone a joy to use compared to the rest. When I can next afford to upgrade my phone, it'll be to get this latest one.

Here's why I buy Apple products in one small story. I was digging around in the attic just the other day and came across my old iMac from around 1999. At first I got it down just to have it on display because it still looks beautiful. Then I switched it on and after all these years the thing still bloody works perfectly, I can still browse the internet on it. If that were any other computer left in my attic for over 15 years I think it's safe to say it wouldn't still be working.Haha, yeah that's one idea we can all agree would never have seen the light of day under Jobs.

A lot of it is down to what you are used to, personally I find using an iPhone an exercise in frustration, but I haven't used the Apple OS in a serious way for a very long time.

Oddly enough I ditched it because I had back to back hardware failures on an iPod Touch and its replacement, went to Android and never looked back, I had more reliability with my string of HTC devices than I did with Apple ones, went to the S7 Edge last year though and did have an issue with that, and I wasn't particularly satisfied with Samsung's response although I eventually bullied them into resolving!

We all have our mixture of experiences with various manufacturers, I never get too concerned about brand loyalty as a result

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16286 on: September 13, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »
Apple's build quality is miles ahead of any of their rivals.

That is a myth. I have the Huawei mate 9 pro and yet to find a phone wish as good build quality as this phone. The spec is better than the iPhone X and it was released originally in November 2016.

In the past yes, the iPhones were sturdy phones and still are. Whilst Samsung and the like made cheap plasticy phones. Top end Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei and more have caught up with Apple with build quality and easily gone ahead in terms of spec.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:40:58 pm by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16287 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »
I've still got an old iPod (4th gen I think) which still works perfectly and has been plugged into my stereo for about seven years.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16288 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:42 pm »
That is a myth. I have the Huawei mate 9 pro...The spec is better than the iPhone X and it was released originally in November 2016.

Well that's definitely a myth.

Other than probably the camera, spec wise it's not even as good as the 7+.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16289 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:21 pm »

Other than probably the camera, spec wise it's not even as good as the 7+.

And the screen, CPU, amount of RAM, both cameras, battery capacity are comfortably better on the Mate 9 pro to the 7+

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16290 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:01 pm »
Huawei, whats that?!  :o

Like Ascot trainers at school?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16291 on: September 13, 2017, 05:00:36 pm »
And the screen, CPU, amount of RAM, both cameras, battery capacity are comfortably better on the Mate 9 pro to the 7+

Apple has never been the choice for spec junkies.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16292 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
Huawei, whats that?!  :o

Like Ascot trainers at school?
;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16293 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:36 pm »

On a more budget phone note, I got my Dad for his birthday the Motorola G5 and that was a full metal body also, very impressive build for a cheap phone (£150 16Gb model with 64gb microsd card thrown in at minimum extra cost)

But yeah, at flagship level, don't agree on superior phone build quality, would agree if you're talking about Laptops though.
Got to be honest.  He build quality and finish of other brand just isn't comparable.

You do pay a premium do that...  many would argue it's not worth it, but it is for others.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16294 on: September 13, 2017, 05:23:51 pm »
As for the build, I will respectfully disagree on that one, my friends Xperia Premium feels nicer on my hand than my S7 but I guess these are preference things  :)
In fairness, Techradar are reviewing the yet-to-be-released version, which apparently has plastic sides. And he was probably comparing the Sony to an iPhone ;)

That is a myth. I have the Huawei mate 9 pro and yet to find a phone wish as good build quality as this phone. The spec is better than the iPhone X and it was released originally in November 2016.

In the past yes, the iPhones were sturdy phones and still are. Whilst Samsung and the like made cheap plasticy phones. Top end Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei and more have caught up with Apple with build quality and easily gone ahead in terms of spec.
Myth :)

Can you unlock your phone using face recognition?

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16295 on: September 13, 2017, 05:28:08 pm »
Can you unlock your phone using face recognition?

:lmao I don't think so.

Sony may have been a bad example. Although their cameras are excellent.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:35:13 pm by CheshireDave »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16296 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:37 pm »
I can trump that 15 year old mac story. I found my parents old acorn a5000 in the attic during the summer and it booted perfectly. I was able to play chuck rock, SWIV and SWOS on it. Internet? No, but the machine is pretty much as old as the Web.

(They also have a fully operational mac classic)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:47:12 pm by thejbs »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16297 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:26 pm »
Apple has never been the choice for spec junkies.

You say that and I'd agree, yet I believe the 3 fastest phone CPUs available are the ones in the new iPhones, the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6s. This latest CPU is supposed to be something like 50% faster than anything in a Samsung, check out the Geekbench scores: http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976700

My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16298 on: September 13, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
I can trump that 15 year old mac story. I found my parents old acorn a5000 in the attic during the summer and it booted perfectly. I was able to play chuck rock, SWIV and SWOS on it. Internet? No, but the machine is pretty much as old as the Web.

(They also have a fully operational mac classic)
That's awesome. I have a Macintosh Plus too, but that one needs a bit of work.

I've always found Nintendo products to be expertly made too. I haven't bought any recently so I don't know if that's still the case, but all my really old consoles are still working perfectly.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16299 on: September 13, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
That is a myth.

Agree 100% every single Apple product has died quick for me, a Imac, few Ipods and a Iphone.  I will never buy another but to counter this a couple of my close friends have had Apple products with no issue.  Horses for courses kind of thing.
choose Life.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16300 on: September 14, 2017, 04:31:54 am »
You say that and I'd agree, yet I believe the 3 fastest phone CPUs available are the ones in the new iPhones, the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6s. This latest CPU is supposed to be something like 50% faster than anything in a Samsung, check out the Geekbench scores: http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3976700

Posting cross platform geekbench scores to prove the superiority of Iphones? Fail.

Comparing scores are useless. Geekbench is a crappy benchmark heavily dependent on JavaScript peformance.

Having said that, apple makes some really good Socs which have much higher single threaded ipc than comparable Qualcomm , Mediatek,Kirin and Exynos chipsets. They are advanced pieces of tech , which is understandable given their R&d investments.
Phuk yoo

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16301 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:29 am »
Posting cross platform geekbench scores to prove the superiority of Iphones? Fail.

Comparing scores are useless. Geekbench is a crappy benchmark heavily dependent on JavaScript peformance.

Having said that, apple makes some really good Socs which have much higher single threaded ipc than comparable Qualcomm , Mediatek,Kirin and Exynos chipsets. They are advanced pieces of tech , which is understandable given their R&d investments.

Making up shit to suit your own agenda? Fail

If I didn't need an iPhone to use with my watch I would be buying a Samsung S8 this year so yes I clearly think the iPhone is superior  ::) I was merely correcting someone who stated that iPhones don't have the most powerful CPU yet it's a fact that they do.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16302 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:11 am »
Also worth noting that because Apple create their own platform, rather than using Android, that the software will often get more performance from the components.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16303 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:51 am »
What agenda?? Have always maintained Apple SOCs have the best single threaded IPC or throughput. Never said they are shit.

Their cores are much beefier than your typical ARM core.

Phuk yoo

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16304 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:56 am »
What agenda?? Have always maintained Apple SOCs have the best single threaded IPC or throughput. Never said they are shit.

Their cores are much beefier than your typical ARM core.

The part where you said "Posting cross platform geekbench scores to prove the superiority of Iphones? Fail." At no point did I claim the iPhone was a superior phone yet the first line of your response claimed I did.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16305 on: September 14, 2017, 09:55:21 am »
Also worth noting that because Apple create their own platform, rather than using Android, that the software will often get more performance from the components.

Even purely on hardware, the Apple SOCs are closer to desktop CPUs in their IPC.  I would expect the quad core A10 to handle Android admirably, given its raw power.

Hell, i would instantly buy the iphone at a ridiculous price if it came with Android on board.  I love the hardware but do not the limited nature of iOS.
Phuk yoo

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #16306 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:01 am »
I used to be obsessed with mobile phones and would always be on forums discussing the latest models, spec wars ect... When the iphone came along that all stopped as the iphone keeps me happy to the point where I don't need to look elsewhere. I use my phone mainly for music, videos, browsing internet and taking pics. Taking pics in particular is a joy on the iphone, so much so that I don't take a camera with me any more on holiday. I really enjoy the photography aspect of iphone photography. There are even websites dedicated to this.

Not happy with the price hike though.  I have a 7 now and really would like to move to the plus toi take advantage of the dual camera. It's a lot of money though. Another gripe is I am on a 128GB model so I can't really go back to 64GB. Apple did the same thing before with getting rid of the 64 but keeping 32gb. I think it's their way of getting customers to buy the most expensive model.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16307 on: September 14, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
Even purely on hardware, the Apple SOCs are closer to desktop CPUs in their IPC.  I would expect the quad core A10 to handle Android admirably, given its raw power.

Hell, i would instantly buy the iphone at a ridiculous price if it came with Android on board.  I love the hardware but do not the limited nature of iOS.

We are polar opposites there then, I hate the Android OS but love iOS. The thing that annoys me about iPhones is their price when you consider that their technology always seems to be a year or two behind everyone else these days. Having said that my iPhone 6 does everything I want in a phone. The screen is great (don't need OLED to browse RAWK), the phone works as fast as the day I got it, the battery lasts a full day, and I've no idea why people would care about wireless charging. I'm only considering a new phone this year because I've maxed out the 64GB on this phone, may just get the iPhone 7 now it's cheaper to save some cash and have 128GB.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16308 on: September 14, 2017, 10:16:24 am »
We are polar opposites there then, I hate the Android OS but love iOS. The thing that annoys me about iPhones is their price when you consider that their technology always seems to be a year or two behind everyone else these days. Having said that my iPhone 6 does everything I want in a phone. The screen is great (don't need OLED to browse RAWK), the phone works as fast as the day I got it, the battery lasts a full day, and I've no idea why people would care about wireless charging. I'm only considering a new phone this year because I've maxed out the 64GB on this phone, may just get the iPhone 7 now it's cheaper to save some cash and have 128GB.

The 6 has just 1 GB RAM though, which can be limiting while browsing multiple tabs or running a handful of apps in the background. 

Apart from that, it holds its own against the Iphone 7.
Phuk yoo

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16309 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:34 am »
The 6 has just 1 GB RAM though, which can be limiting while browsing multiple tabs or running a handful of apps in the background. 

Apart from that, it holds its own against the Iphone 7.

You'd think that but I can't say I've ever had a problem with that. At most I'll only ever have Spotify on along with up to 4 tabs in Safari. I'm not what would be considered a power user these days, I used to be someone who needed the latest and greatest tech to be able to do what I wanted but not any more. Probably a sign that I'm getting old but I'm going to need to replace my laptop soon too and all I'm concerned about is portability whereas when I bought my current laptop years ago I spent a fortune making sure it had the best quad core i7 in it and a discrete GPU.

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16310 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:26 am »
Making up shit to suit your own agenda? Fail

If I didn't need an iPhone to use with my watch I would be buying a Samsung S8 this year so yes I clearly think the iPhone is superior  ::) I was merely correcting someone who stated that iPhones don't have the most powerful CPU yet it's a fact that they do.

Well, actually I made the claim that apple wasn't for spec junkies, not that they don't have the most powerful CPU.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16311 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
Well, actually I made the claim that apple wasn't for spec junkies, not that they don't have the most powerful CPU.

Perhaps I replied to the wrong post then. Someone mentioned that they don't have the most powerful CPUs and that seemed a convenient place to point out that this new CPU is very impressive (although way beyond my needs). I agree by the way, as a package there are a few phones you'd pick over the iPhone if you were a spec junkie.

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16312 on: September 14, 2017, 11:05:09 am »

Similiar. Over the years I've rotated between iphone and android, but I've been resolved for a while now that ios is a better fit for me.

Whilst android has got a lot, lot better over the years, and the sluggishness of the early years is long gone, for me there is a inherent trade off with android in the way I use it. My main reason for using an android phone is that I can customize it to better to meet my needs than an iphone. However, without fail, whenever I do that and get it to close to where I want to be, I find a trade off with reliability and consistency.

Although deep down I'm a geek, as I've got a little older, I need my phone to work consistently 99/100 and I don't want unexpected things happening when I need to do something. And after my customisations to android, it doesn't get near that threshold. Then I end up spending too much time debugging the issue, trying to understand which configuration is causing the issue or which of the apps I've given too much permissions to and has messed with something that's caused a conflict etc. And all I want to do is use it!

For me, I just don't want that experience with a phone. Now I could be more cautious with android, and leave it closer to standard, but then the main reason I would choose android is gone, and for my use cases, ios is a better fit.

So I'm very happy to trade off configurability for speed, stability and reliability - which is what I get with ios.

Curiously, although I'm by far the most tech saavy in my extended family, I'm the only one with an iphone. The rest of them are on android, although I have little to no doubt most would be better off with iphones. I'm regularly tasked with 'cleaning' them up because something isn't working properly, or they're running slow. Until recently, everytime my dad turned his phone on or restarted it (which he did daily), he used to have to go and kill some processes that would otherwise slow the phone down. In 2017? Madness!

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16313 on: September 14, 2017, 11:07:19 am »
Perhaps I replied to the wrong post then. Someone mentioned that they don't have the most powerful CPUs and that seemed a convenient place to point out that this new CPU is very impressive (although way beyond my needs). I agree by the way, as a package there are a few phones you'd pick over the iPhone if you were a spec junkie.

No worries! Is sometimes tricky on this forum to follow individual conversation threads when there's quite a few overlapping ones going on.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16314 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:16 am »
People saying that Apples phones arent innovative anymore? I would say that applied to all phones. Since the iPhone 4 all weve had is improvements. Better screen, better camera, faster hardware, better battery life. I think the only true progression has been with fingerprint and facial recognition technology.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16315 on: September 14, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »
People saying that Apples phones arent innovative anymore? I would say that applied to all phones. Since the iPhone 4 all weve had is improvements. Better screen, better camera, faster hardware, better battery life. I think the only true progression has been with fingerprint and facial recognition technology.
Force touch too... Huwawei use that but not sure about others..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16316 on: September 14, 2017, 02:51:26 pm »
I loved flip phones back in the day. Is it likely that the next big step forward will be foldable screens? I don't keep up with technology so I don't know how far off something like that we are.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #16317 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:10 pm »
I loved flip phones back in the day. Is it likely that the next big step forward will be foldable screens? I don't keep up with technology so I don't know how far off something like that we are.
http://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-x-the-story-of-samsungs-foldable-phone-so-far    Might not be that long away!

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #16318 on: September 14, 2017, 02:56:28 pm »
I hated flip phones, found them too girly. Only good thing was flipping the screen down violently after an angry phone call.

Realistically, I'm not sure what else they could introduce on smartphones that would revolutionise the game. Perhaps the ability to play 3D movies or act as a HD cinema projector.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16319 on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
I hated flip phones, found them too girly. Only good thing was flipping the screen down violently after an angry phone call.

Realistically, I'm not sure what else they could introduce on smartphones that would revolutionise the game. Perhaps the ability to play 3D movies or act as a HD cinema projector.
I think the future will bring phones where the screen can be physically 'stretched' so that it can become the size of a tablet and then reduced back down when it wants to be used as a phone again. As you say  the technology they can add to smartphones has long been running out.