Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 323818 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #2320 on: February 8, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »
3 more horses confirmed with the flu.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47173432
#Sausages

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2321 on: February 8, 2019, 03:27:34 pm »
At least they’re also in the McCain yard. The other possible case is the big worry.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2322 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:48 am »
4 new positive tests, at a new yard.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47193751
#Sausages

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2323 on: February 12, 2019, 03:41:45 pm »
Just seen Sizing John has had a setback and won’t now race this season which is a shame.

Native River going straight to GC not to Ascot this Saturday as it’s right handed. Some still can’t have runners if they haven’t vaccinated in the last 6 months so even though the break has been relatively small there are still impacts for Cheltenham.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2324 on: February 15, 2019, 09:27:28 am »
Another star bumper horse for Gordon Elliot, Andy Dufresne, had a small ante post bet on him at 33's before his bumper today. He's now as short as 12/1 and I can only see it getting shorter.
Seen something today that suggests Envoi Allen now goes for the bumper but Andy Dufresne doesn’t, link below

http://www.gaultstats.com

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2325 on: February 15, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »
Seen something today that suggests Envoi Allen now goes for the bumper but Andy Dufresne doesn’t, link below

http://www.gaultstats.com

Well that's a balls, luckily it was only a small stake at the bigger odds.

*have you used that site before? Seems like a worthy cause he's doing it for anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:44:44 pm by FlashGordon »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2326 on: February 15, 2019, 12:56:00 pm »

*have you used that site before? Seems like a worthy cause he's doing it for anyway.
Used it quite a lot the last 2 years, has helped turn up some decent price horses I would never have found. As you say the chap who does it in his own spare time asks users to donate to his chosen charity each year, but it’s voluntary. He also puts up his selections for each race on the day which have also provided some nice winners.

Stats and trends aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but if you are interested in them I don’t think there’s a better Cheltenham site.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2327 on: February 15, 2019, 01:37:12 pm »
Used it quite a lot the last 2 years, has helped turn up some decent price horses I would never have found. As you say the chap who does it in his own spare time asks users to donate to his chosen charity each year, but it’s voluntary. He also puts up his selections for each race on the day which have also provided some nice winners.

Stats and trends aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but if you are interested in them I don’t think there’s a better Cheltenham site.

Cheers mate I'll keep an eye on it to the lead up anyway and throw him a donation.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2328 on: February 15, 2019, 11:44:38 pm »

One man's bad luck is another man's gain. I'm on Envoi Allen at 33/1, but then again I was also on Malone Road at 16/1, shame about his setback as I'd rather have him running for me as he looked home and hosed for the bumper.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2329 on: February 16, 2019, 12:08:30 am »
One man's bad luck is another man's gain. I'm on Envoi Allen at 33/1, but then again I was also on Malone Road at 16/1, shame about his setback as I'd rather have him running for me as he looked home and hosed for the bumper.

Once somebody is making money I'm happy  ;D Malone Road really did look the pick of them though it's a shame he's not going.I still have a bit of interest with Midnight Run so it's all bad.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2330 on: February 16, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »
Small e/w Yankee for a bit of interest for the day: Coneygree, Didtheyleaveuoutto, Fox Norton & Rare Deal.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2331 on: February 16, 2019, 02:28:15 pm »
Coneygree retired, probably my favourite horse I've seen running in the flesh.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: February 16, 2019, 03:30:30 pm »
Coneygree retired, probably my favourite horse I've seen running in the flesh.
Hadn’t seen that, shame injury has meant he’s hardly run since he won the GC, he looked really good the season he won it.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Fox Norton run well think he’s a decent price for the Ryanair if he goes there.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2333 on: February 16, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
Interesting, he'll want the rain that's forecast on Friday but that looks a good bet. :D

In the same race I've just backed Al Dancer to win this and then the Supreme at 25/1. His form is exceptional:

• Solid bumper run behind Portrush Ted in the Aintree bumper last year who looked some tool until the injury setback in the summer. The useful Kateson also beaten in this race (finished 3l behind Champ on his last appearance after winning the previous 2)
  • Then won first time over hurdles, beating Windsor Avenue who has come out and won 2 of his next 3 with the loss coming in a close finish where smart next time out winner Beakstown was also beaten.
  • Then won next novice hurdle where he beat Present Value who has come out and won his next race
  • And finally his handicap hurdle victory at Cheltenham where he destroyed the field and subsequent handicap winner Not That Fuisse. Time for weight adjustments against the novice hurdle on the same card won by Elixir De Nutz he comes out 7lb higher too.

I put a fiver on that 25/1 double with Betfair too, then just watched Al Dancer win the Betfair comfortably, assumed the 1st leg of the double was up, then checked my Betfair account and the fuckers had voided the bet without any sort of warning that they had done so. Fuckers.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2334 on: February 16, 2019, 03:42:25 pm »
Hadn’t seen that, shame injury has meant he’s hardly run since he won the GC, he looked really good the season he won it.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Fox Norton run well think he’s a decent price for the Ryanair if he goes there.

I feel like he doesn't get that trip up the hill, might be wrong on that of course. Al Dancer looked mighty impressive once again.

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #2335 on: February 16, 2019, 05:38:10 pm »
I put a fiver on that 25/1 double with Betfair too, then just watched Al Dancer win the Betfair comfortably, assumed the 1st leg of the double was up, then checked my Betfair account and the fuckers had voided the bet without any sort of warning that they had done so. Fuckers.

Argh that's so annoying, I did the bet originally with skybet who voided too but I went in again with Betfair at 25/1 once the race had been re-scheduled.

He's now fav for the Supreme which is to be expected with Getaway Trump running his race in 4th 6.75 lengths behind carrying 1lb more after only losing by only 2 lengths to Champ (although probably over a more favourable trip).

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2336 on: February 16, 2019, 05:58:13 pm »
If only they had told me they had voided the bet i would have put it on again, too bleedin late now.   :no

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2337 on: February 20, 2019, 04:14:37 pm »
Straight forward win for Laurina today. Sounds as though they will go for the Champion Hurdle (although I’ve long since given up on playing Mullins horses until day of the race when they turn up).
Should be a great race though, I’m with Apples Jade.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2338 on: February 21, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
The thing I liked about Bellshill was how strong he was in the finish, I'd have liked to have seen him win it more comfortably but I think Willie's string will improve again after a slow start and the extra stamina will really really suit him in the Gold Cup, they just seem to have him right at the minute and seem to be very confident in him.

I see your point re Klassical and Aramon, however I think the fact Ruby picked Klassical is very significant. It was also only his second start for Willie whereas Aramon has been on the go since the summer, I could see another leap forward from Klassical next month.

Read on Sporting Life today that Mullins says Aramon definitely goes Supreme, but undecided between Supreme & Ballymore for Klassical Dream. Mentioned KD will want a trip in time. I guess the fact they haven’t got much for the Ballymore may mean they split them.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2339 on: February 23, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
Sky Bet are offering a real nice deal right now for Cheltenham. In the first race every day, if your horse loses you get money back as CASH, none of this money back as a free bet shite.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2340 on: February 23, 2019, 07:21:44 pm »
Sky Bet are offering a real nice deal right now for Cheltenham. In the first race every day, if your horse loses you get money back as CASH, none of this money back as a free bet shite.
Yeah I think their first race of each day offer is the best any of the firms offer during the week. First year they did it you could do up to £25, only £20 now but as you say cash back rather than freebet which it was in the past.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2341 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:32 pm »
I always enjoy a nice bet at the Festival, so if anyone gets wind of any other outstanding offers, I'd appreciate if people could post them on here.  [emoji6]

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2342 on: February 25, 2019, 10:26:10 am »
This years Arkle shaping up to be a great race. Lalor, Le Richebourg, Cilaos Emery, Dynamite Dollars possibly Defi Du Seuil & Kalashnikov. Was a big Lalor fan earlier in the season, still am but not as confident.
Well this post hasn’t aged well! 3 now out with injuries, looking a really poor renewal now

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #2343 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:19 pm »
Well this post hasn’t aged well! 3 now out with injuries, looking a really poor renewal now

A real shame, I was looking forward to a competitive Arkle with an open looking market this year but it's really looking bare now. Wish I'd got on Glen Forsa he was a huge price a few weeks ago, the race could be at his mercy now.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: March 1, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
PP doing up to £10 back as a free bet on every race on Day 1 of your horse finishes 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2345 on: March 1, 2019, 10:18:54 pm »
For anyone in Northern Ireland, open a McLeans telebetting account. Bet £10 and get a free £25 Bet each day of the festival
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: March 2, 2019, 05:22:59 am »
Betway are doing their money back as a free bet offer up to £10 on the first and last race each day again.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2347 on: March 5, 2019, 06:23:12 pm »
There’s a few pointers on festival handicap targets in this review of a Cheltenham preview from last night. Won’t be pleased if Gigginstown get their way and Champagne Classic doesn’t go in the four miler.

http://www.gaultstats.com/blog/racing-post-tipsters-betting-guides-and-preview-nights?categoryId=83345

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2348 on: March 6, 2019, 06:58:07 am »
Thanks for that post, read his bit about horses with headgear the other day, let's hope his conclusions give us a few winners.    ;)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2349 on: March 6, 2019, 09:52:07 am »
Thanks for that post, read his bit about horses with headgear the other day, let's hope his conclusions give us a few winners.    ;)
Yep, the headgear seems to be a particularly strong trend in the Ultima on the first day.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2350 on: March 11, 2019, 06:57:34 pm »
Mine for tomorrow:

1:30 - Highly unusual to have the opportunity to dutch Mullins & Henderson runners in this but we have that opportunity here. Klassical Dream & Angels Breath are my selections. I don't like Al Dancer for this at all, don't think his form stacks up. I loved Klassical Dreams run last time as I said in here, I think he has plenty of experience in France and with this being only his third start for Willie I expect another jump forward. Angels Breath I think has bags of talent, I also loved his run at Kempton the last day, he looked run off his feet and the stiffer track at Cheltenham should really suit.

2:10 - All about Hardline here for me, I thought Le Richebourg was an absoltute banker and Hardline has the best form in a line through Us and them with Le Richebourg. Don't fancy any of the British, Lalor would be a threat but he's a horse I struggle to get right.

2:50 - Going three pronged here, Minella Rocco, Calipto & Vintage Clouds. Minella Rocco in Handicap company makes great appeal, he's very rarely run well out of the Festival and if he's even close to his Gold Cup 2nd or win in the 4 milers he absolutely bolts up here. 8/1 makes great appeal about a horse that beaten the current Gold Cup holder twice at the track. I've been very taken with Calipto since stepping up to three miles for Venetia. I thought he looked outpaced on a flat track at Doncaster before running a very big race at a stiffer track at Ascot. I think he's still unexposed at the trip and has run several good races at the track over 2 miles, I think there's some improvement in him. Finally Vintage Clouds is a horse I'm a huge fan of, hes run two big races in this race in the past along with placing in the scottish national. I think the wind surgery he's undergone could be key to him, he didn't always seem to be finishing out his races.

4:50 - Two pronged here and both the front end of the market. Case is easy to make for both. A Plus Tard is highly unexposed and jumps really well, he seems to be progressing with each run and should be bang there at the end. The other is Tower Bridge, he was run consistently in Grade 1 level over hurdles by connections who know a Grade 1 horse when they see one, including a very creditible run in the Alber Bartlett. He's failed to sparkle over fences for some reason, I actually quite like his jumping so I feel he could be chucked in in a handicap here.

5:30 - Finally this is one of my NAPs of the meeting, Ballyward. I genuinely think he'd go close in the RSA. He looks like a proper Grade 1 animal.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2351 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:25 pm »
Looks like we’ve got a few of the same choices so I wish you a very successful day!

I’m with Angels Breath in the first as well, but was hoping they’d run Klassical Dream in the Ballymore.

I’ve put my concerns about Kalashnikov’s jumping aside as I was also sweet on Le Richebourg but the top rated hurdler in the field has a good record, and all the rain should help.

Like you very hopeful Ballyward will be the best horse in the 4 miler.

Have a good one.

Backed both Apples Jade and Laurina in the Champion Hurdle.

Offline Mingles

• Kopite
« Reply #2352 on: March 11, 2019, 09:32:44 pm »
Mine for tomorrow:

1:30 - Highly unusual to have the opportunity to dutch Mullins & Henderson runners in this but we have that opportunity here. Klassical Dream & Angels Breath are my selections. I don't like Al Dancer for this at all, don't think his form stacks up. I loved Klassical Dreams run last time as I said in here, I think he has plenty of experience in France and with this being only his third start for Willie I expect another jump forward. Angels Breath I think has bags of talent, I also loved his run at Kempton the last day, he looked run off his feet and the stiffer track at Cheltenham should really suit.

2:10 - All about Hardline here for me, I thought Le Richebourg was an absoltute banker and Hardline has the best form in a line through Us and them with Le Richebourg. Don't fancy any of the British, Lalor would be a threat but he's a horse I struggle to get right.

2:50 - Going three pronged here, Minella Rocco, Calipto & Vintage Clouds. Minella Rocco in Handicap company makes great appeal, he's very rarely run well out of the Festival and if he's even close to his Gold Cup 2nd or win in the 4 milers he absolutely bolts up here. 8/1 makes great appeal about a horse that beaten the current Gold Cup holder twice at the track. I've been very taken with Calipto since stepping up to three miles for Venetia. I thought he looked outpaced on a flat track at Doncaster before running a very big race at a stiffer track at Ascot. I think he's still unexposed at the trip and has run several good races at the track over 2 miles, I think there's some improvement in him. Finally Vintage Clouds is a horse I'm a huge fan of, hes run two big races in this race in the past along with placing in the scottish national. I think the wind surgery he's undergone could be key to him, he didn't always seem to be finishing out his races.

4:50 - Two pronged here and both the front end of the market. Case is easy to make for both. A Plus Tard is highly unexposed and jumps really well, he seems to be progressing with each run and should be bang there at the end. The other is Tower Bridge, he was run consistently in Grade 1 level over hurdles by connections who know a Grade 1 horse when they see one, including a very creditible run in the Alber Bartlett. He's failed to sparkle over fences for some reason, I actually quite like his jumping so I feel he could be chucked in in a handicap here.

5:30 - Finally this is one of my NAPs of the meeting, Ballyward. I genuinely think he'd go close in the RSA. He looks like a proper Grade 1 animal.

Cheers for this mate. Minella Rocco does look interesting in the Ultima.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2353 on: March 13, 2019, 10:45:06 am »
Bit of a nearly day yesterday, still showing profit but could've been massive if Vintage Clouds had got up. Thought Ballyward was travelling well before coming down to.

Mine for today:

1:30 - Gone for both Battleoverdoyen & Beakstown here. Loads of dangers and this is a really really strong renewal of this race with loads of nice sorts. Happy enough to oppose Champ, too keen for me to win here. For me these two are basically the best at the moment either side of the Irish Sea and well worth a play with a weak fav.

2:10 - Potential nap of the week material in Delta Work, think he's just a beast simple as that.

2:50 - There were loads I liked here and I'm actually 4 pronged at this race. I'm back in on Bleu Berry again this year, his ground has come for him and I don't feel he's weighted out of it by any stretch. I also like Scarpeta for Willie, I don't think he's a million miles away from being a proper Grade 1 animal, I think this test should suit him nicely. I also think Tully East is a huge price for the weight he is carrying coupled with great previous Festival form. And finally my most confident selection is Dancing On My Own. Highly unexposed and could improve to be the best in this field by some way.

4:50 - Again four pronged here. I like to look for something at a wild price here, it's often the way in this race for a surprise at big odds from the bottom end of the handicap. My most confident selection is Oi The Clubb Oi's. Watching back his videos I love his jumping technique and I really think they've taken it easy on him bringing him along slowly. Ian Williams is one of the best target trainers in the game and I feel this may have been a long term plot. I also like the profile of Fox Pro, he's been campaigned solely in France, difficult to give a realistic mark against that for the British handicapper, he has plenty of experience and is coming from a very shrewd yard. For Willie I like La Sorelita, fillies have  a great record here, he's a trainer that excels with mares, I think she could be chucked in. Finally I really like Praeceps for Alan King. I loved his prep at Kempton, King is great with Juveniles, I want to take the chance on this one at the prices.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2354 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
Lalor looked good didn’t he, can’t help but love his jumping technique. Far more polished at this stage than Kalashnikov but can’t help this Kalashnikov has the bigger engine for me. 7/1 a silly price at this point either way. Performance of the weekend was Sceau Royal for me, his jumping is perfection for 2m chasing. I think he wins the champion chase this season.

I wasn't far away here to be fair!  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2355 on: March 13, 2019, 05:57:46 pm »
Frustrating day, back to it tomorrow!

1:30 - Really like Castafiore in this at the prices, she's a seriously underrated Mare and I've loved her progression through the season.

2:10 - All about Sire Du Berlais here, was getting worried about the form of the Elliot camp but Tiger Roll has put an end to that. There's been no secret made that this has been aimed here, and I feel that this will all be about just getting a clean round.

2:50 - Really like two Irish raiders for this. Big fan of Road To Respect dropping back to this distance. He's won a handicap here over this distance and I expect him to go well. There's plenty that like to lead here so I expect a cut throat pace, for this I like Coney Island at a huge price. I think this could be another Mark Walsh special to drop him in and come late.

3:30 - Kilbricen Storm is a silly price here given his win in the Albert Bartlett last season, no brainer to me at the price.

5:30 - Measueofmydreams with Codd on board will do for me in a season the horse has been switched to Elliot, looks like he's been well and truly lined up for this one.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2356 on: March 13, 2019, 06:06:14 pm »
I'm absolutely all over Un De Sceaux in the Ryanair. I love that Mullins has given him a light campaign at 11 and his run this season was an absolute screamer behind Altior on similar ground to what they'll be racing on tomorrow. Going under the radar because of a few younger horses entering the fray and I think Road to Respect deserves a lot of respect but give me Un De Sceaux.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:07:48 pm by Gerry Attrick »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2357 on: March 13, 2019, 06:24:59 pm »
Could well bolt up, he is the best horse in the race. My worry is he will be taken on for the lead by Aso, Frodon & Charbel in all liklelihood, I think they will set it up for something coming from off the pace. Ruby has got off him too which would be a concern given how much he loves the horse.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2358 on: March 13, 2019, 06:30:45 pm »
Walsh is a quality jockey but him not being on one doesn't put me off at all. Townsend is pretty good and Walsh has got it wrong before. Could he do his running in the first circuit? Of course but I can't let a horse go off unbacked at 5/1 when he's got more grade 1 victories than the field combined, the ground is to suit and he ran a career best last time out in my opinion.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2359 on: March 13, 2019, 06:54:01 pm »
Another frustrated punter signing in. Two 3rds (Sceau Royal & Delta Work) and two 2nds (Coko Beach & Blue Sari).

Managed to get 33/1 off a win only bookie on course for Sceau Royal and got a little excited as he jumped into the lead at the last but Altior is some horse, won going away in the end. Thought both Coko Beach and Blue Sari came there to win and just got done by the favs.

RSA looked a good race, 3 good horses and Delta Work no excuses.

Heading home tomorrow to regroup for the final 2 days, but off out now to find a pub as there’s a rather important game on I believe.