Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1040561 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15320 on: August 23, 2020, 02:21:27 pm »
Sounds like you’re using Amazon Prime, not Netflix.

You using a Firestick?

It's defo Netflix.

It's through a Smart TV, but using my login details.  I also have Prime on there, again with my login details.

When you do the voice command thing through the remote, could that go between the two, so I think I'm in Netflix but it's gone to Prime, which is why it's showing a fee?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15321 on: August 23, 2020, 03:23:27 pm »
It's defo Netflix.

It's through a Smart TV, but using my login details.  I also have Prime on there, again with my login details.

When you do the voice command thing through the remote, could that go between the two, so I think I'm in Netflix but it's gone to Prime, which is why it's showing a fee?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15322 on: August 23, 2020, 03:36:11 pm »
It's defo Netflix.

So I'm pretty sure what is happening here is that you are trying to search Netflix but you are actually using your TV's search fundtion which will be searching all sources - so when you say what you are looking for into the mic, it is searching Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer, all the installed apps basically.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15323 on: August 23, 2020, 03:45:12 pm »
So I'm pretty sure what is happening here is that you are trying to search Netflix but you are actually using your TV's search fundtion which will be searching all sources - so when you say what you are looking for into the mic, it is searching Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer, all the installed apps basically.

Yup, almost certainly this. It's searching all sources you have available rather than just Netflix.

There are no additional fee's with Netflix, so no extra cost of purchasing shows that are on there.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15324 on: August 23, 2020, 04:02:03 pm »

She was later elected Prime Minister of Finland...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15325 on: August 23, 2020, 04:23:14 pm »
Cancel the insurance and see if they give you refund ;)

I never actually check that the payment has gone, all I do is make sure the policy docs are right and that I'm showing as insured and that is it.

I think my insurers must read this thread.... only a few days after posting I got an email from them. They've noticed the payment didn't go through. Still says I am insured but I need to pay up.  :no

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15326 on: August 23, 2020, 04:41:16 pm »
I think my insurers must read this thread.... only a few days after posting I got an email from them. They've noticed the payment didn't go through. Still says I am insured but I need to pay up.  :no

They'll have some accounting process that runs on their DB matching policies taken out to payments taken. Ah well.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15327 on: August 23, 2020, 06:30:14 pm »
Yup, almost certainly this. It's searching all sources you have available rather than just Netflix.

There are no additional fee's with Netflix, so no extra cost of purchasing shows that are on there.

Thanks, chaps.  I'll make sure Mum doesn't spend too much, especially on Bangkok Chick Boys  :D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15328 on: August 23, 2020, 06:30:54 pm »
Thanks, chaps.  I'll make sure Mum doesn't spend too much, especially on Bangkok Chick Boys  :D

She has the DVD of that mate so you’ll be fine.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15329 on: August 23, 2020, 08:25:37 pm »

Let me know if she needs help with the old angling the mirror to watch it from the bathroom trick.

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15330 on: August 24, 2020, 07:48:27 am »
She has the DVD of that mate so you’ll be fine.

I thought Terms Of Endearment looked different.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15331 on: August 24, 2020, 10:53:23 am »
Before I start I will say I know very little about cars so bear that in mind when I try to describe my issue.

My exhaust has fell off. So there's the bit of exhaust that protrudes the back bumper which is attached to a cylindrical box, that box has become unattached to the rest of the exhaust and it is now swinging about being held onto the the bottom of the car by a bolt.

It's going into the garage on Wednesday. Is it going to cost me a fortune? I can't seem to get a straight answer when Googling because I use phrases like "attached to cylindrical box".

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15332 on: August 24, 2020, 10:57:48 am »
That’s the back box. It’s possible it’s just come unattached from the chassis and that’s a quick easy fix. Otherwise it could be the bracket has broken off, which against isn’t a hard fix but a bit more involved.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15333 on: August 24, 2020, 11:27:17 am »
That’s the back box. It’s possible it’s just come unattached from the chassis and that’s a quick easy fix. Otherwise it could be the bracket has broken off, which against isn’t a hard fix but a bit more involved.

Cheers. I had a look under the car and the exhaust itself doesn't look too bad, not rusty or anything. I don't know if meant a complete change of exhaust or just a section of it, or like you say, it's come unattached.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15334 on: August 24, 2020, 11:42:54 am »
Cheers. I had a look under the car and the exhaust itself doesn't look too bad, not rusty or anything. I don't know if meant a complete change of exhaust or just a section of it, or like you say, it's come unattached.

If it's just dangling down and not obviously rusty I'd guess it's just a bracket and you don't need a new back box. They normally have either a bracket which goes around the whole backbox or a couple of brackets which stick up from the top/sides of backbox and attach to rubber brackets on the chassis.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15335 on: August 24, 2020, 12:23:08 pm »
Before I start I will say I know very little about cars so bear that in mind when I try to describe my issue.

My exhaust has fell off. So there's the bit of exhaust that protrudes the back bumper which is attached to a cylindrical box, that box has become unattached to the rest of the exhaust and it is now swinging about being held onto the the bottom of the car by a bolt.

It's going into the garage on Wednesday. Is it going to cost me a fortune? I can't seem to get a straight answer when Googling because I use phrases like "attached to cylindrical box".

Unless it is a complete all in one system, the main section of pipe from the engine joins the back box about 8 inches forwards of the box itself (ie towards the front of the car), the pipe from the backbox is flared to allow the pipes to join, the bit with the two slots in the top of the pic below. From your description, it sounds like the pipes have been seperated at this join, have you or anyone else hit a speed bump quite hard, or the edge of a kerb driving up/off?

Crawl under the car and see if the pipes have come apart, or if the pipe has snapped. If they have come apart, you should be able to push them back together. The pipes are held together with one of these, its an exhaust clamp, if that is missing, you'll need to get one from Halfords or a motor factors

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15336 on: August 24, 2020, 12:45:14 pm »

This is a great help, cheers. Like you suggest, the pipe entering the back box has come away from the box itself. I had a look at it doesn't seem like it's snapped - no rust, seems quiet a clean and uniform separation. I can't say I have hit any speed bump or anything but it happened after driving on the motorway. 

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15337 on: August 24, 2020, 03:07:08 pm »
This is a great help, cheers. Like you suggest, the pipe entering the back box has come away from the box itself. I had a look at it doesn't seem like it's snapped - no rust, seems quiet a clean and uniform separation. I can't say I have hit any speed bump or anything but it happened after driving on the motorway. 

That's good. It could be that whoever fitted the exhaust either didn't put a clamp on or chose not to and its worked loose over time. If you can manage to get the pipe into the backbox and get it clamped, you shouldn't need to go to the garage Wednesday.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #15338 on: August 24, 2020, 04:30:49 pm »
Anyone know much about door handles?

The little screws in the bottom of them keep falling out of all of mine (its a new build house). I read somewhere that it means the spindle(?) thing inside is upside down as they should slot into a groove, but then someone has also said just tighten them all with an allen key.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15339 on: August 24, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »

The little screws in the bottom of them keep falling out of all of mine (its a new build house). I read somewhere that it means the spindle(?) thing inside is upside down as they should slot into a groove, but then someone has also said just tighten them all with an allen key.

Not a lot, but a light coating of a thread lock compound before tightening the screw will stop them falling out.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15340 on: August 24, 2020, 05:22:57 pm »

You could try the spindle thing - take both door handles off, usually the spindle would be attached to one of them. Look for a groove. When putting them back, put them the other way round (ie the 'inside' one to the 'outside'). That should also put them upside down.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15341 on: September 1, 2020, 08:28:55 pm »
I suspect the screw needs tightening with an alan key, I sell ironmongery amongst other stuff.

Also on a different note, looking to sell my car but the engine looks a bit grotty, theres like sand in it and stuff so I got a engine valet quote but £135 is a bit steep. So i was thinking, if I adequately covered the battery could I myself not just give it a quick jetwash? or is this a ridiculous idea?
« Last Edit: September 1, 2020, 08:34:39 pm by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15342 on: September 1, 2020, 08:33:11 pm »
I suspect the screw needs tightening with an alan key, I sell ironmongery amongst other stuff.

Got any plugs?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15343 on: September 1, 2020, 08:35:44 pm »
ear plugs or sink plugs? erm sink plugs would be a yes
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15344 on: September 1, 2020, 08:37:33 pm »
plugs for a bathroom
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15345 on: September 1, 2020, 08:46:40 pm »
no kitchen sink plugs

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15346 on: September 2, 2020, 09:29:13 am »

Also on a different note, looking to sell my car but the engine looks a bit grotty, theres like sand in it and stuff so I got a engine valet quote but £135 is a bit steep. So i was thinking, if I adequately covered the battery could I myself not just give it a quick jetwash? or is this a ridiculous idea?

I personally wouldn't be doing that. The valet should be using a steam cleaner. Its not just the battery, its all the other electronics in there such as the ECU is under the bonnet on a lot of cars, the main fuse box is usually under the bonnet, you've all the plugs for the injectors, alternator etc etc. While these will occasionally get wet, they are not subjected to the high pressure that a washer generates. Even a domestic pressure washer will tear skin if you get too close - I've a nice scar on my knee from when my little lad accidentally sprayed me.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15347 on: September 2, 2020, 01:05:51 pm »
By their very nature they're tamper proof screws....but...

Does any one know how to remove them?  Is there a way?

Is there a special tool, or technique for getting them out?  Short of drilling them out?

Offline tray fenny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15348 on: September 2, 2020, 01:13:02 pm »

Is there a special tool, or technique for getting them out?  Short of drilling them out?

You could weld a bolt to them and unscrew the bolt rather akin to when people lose their alloy wheel locking bolt.

I personally wouldn't be doing that. The valet should be using a steam cleaner. Its not just the battery, its all the other electronics in there such as the ECU is under the bonnet on a lot of cars, the main fuse box is usually under the bonnet, you've all the plugs for the injectors, alternator etc etc. While these will occasionally get wet, they are not subjected to the high pressure that a washer generates. Even a domestic pressure washer will tear skin if you get too close - I've a nice scar on my knee from when my little lad accidentally sprayed me.

I suspected as much, think I'll just wipe the messy areas. cheers.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2020, 01:22:22 pm by tray fenny »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15349 on: September 2, 2020, 01:20:09 pm »
You can make a cut across the screw head and then just unscrew it out.

There are specialist tools to unscrew one way screw heads like that but cutting it will be easier if you don't have one.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15350 on: September 2, 2020, 03:10:05 pm »
You can make a cut across the screw head and then just unscrew it out.

There are specialist tools to unscrew one way screw heads like that but cutting it will be easier if you don't have one.

What are they called, and where do you get them?

Got to remove dozens of screws, so cutting a slot across the head, or other long winded shit, is gonna be a pain in the arse.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15351 on: September 2, 2020, 03:13:15 pm »
What are they called, and where do you get them?

Got to remove dozens of screws, so cutting a slot across the head, or other long winded shit, is gonna be a pain in the arse.

Search for one way screw removers, should throw up some options for you.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15352 on: September 2, 2020, 03:17:03 pm »
Ta.  :thumbup

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15353 on: September 2, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
Search for one way screw removers, should throw up some options for you.

Only ones on Ebay are from the USA.

The rest of the world probably think helping criminals steal your stuff isn't a good idea?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #15354 on: September 2, 2020, 10:15:26 pm »

Hammer and chisel the heads off and then a pair of pliers to wind them out.
Or, after the hammer and chisel, try putting the protruding screw in the jaws of your drill and reverse them out.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: September 2, 2020, 10:40:37 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15356 on: September 3, 2020, 07:05:07 am »
Only ones on Ebay are from the USA.

The rest of the world probably think helping criminals steal your stuff isn't a good idea?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not practical, but there mustbe a tool for doing these screws up, so surely that tool must unscrew them, too?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15357 on: September 3, 2020, 07:29:43 am »
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not practical, but there mustbe a tool for doing these screws up, so surely that tool must unscrew them, too?

Its just a normal screwdriver, if you look at the pic, you can see where a flat bladed screwdriver will grip on tightening. The idea behind them is you use them for things like shed doors, eg the locks, so that once tightened up, they cannot be removed. With normal screws, you can just remove the bolt with a screwdriver and open the shed door. The one in Richies pic looks to be on a hinge on a gate or shed door

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15358 on: September 3, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
Yeah they are one way. So you can tighten them with a normal screwdriver but there is no grip to undo.

A quick pass with a Drexel or similar will put another groove in to use a normal screwdriver though.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15359 on: September 3, 2020, 09:44:33 am »
Yeah they are one way. So you can tighten them with a normal screwdriver but there is no grip to undo.

A quick pass with a Drexel or similar will put another groove in to use a normal screwdriver though.

A pair of moleys should be able to get a grip on them too.