Author Topic: The Daniel Sturridge  (Read 289883 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Re: The Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #1320 on: January 8, 2019, 12:30:19 am »
Opinions, aye?
Yep and in my opinion he was poor against Burnley. Apart from Keita we hardly looked like creating anything, until Bobby and Mo came on.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1321 on: January 8, 2019, 12:32:09 am »
Yep and in my opinion he was poor against Burnley. Apart from Keita we hardly looked like creating anything, until Bobby and Mo came on.

To be fair that was a disjointed side as well. Sturridge looked much better when Salah and Firmino came on.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1322 on: January 8, 2019, 12:36:23 am »
It's over for Sturridge isn't it? He "can still do a job" so long as the job is coming on as sub in the last few minutes of a match, but the idea of competing for any longer than that is beyond him.
His pace has gone. Most of his leg muscles are gone. The best of his movement inside the box may have pretty much gone. He was never a presser anyway.

What's left is a very clever player, with the vision to recognise movement, to visualise the holes in a defence, to spot a pass around the box and the skill to execute it; or to fire in a crucial goal. There's a role there for him - like Burnley, or late in big games chasing a goal against a team sitting back. It almost certainly relies on being in a team playing rather better than tonight, dominating the ball and playing in the opponent's half. It's very situational, and it isn't always going to work (and occasionally it may not look pretty).

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1323 on: January 8, 2019, 01:19:04 am »
At this stage of his career, he can only shine if he's surrounded by better players than him.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1324 on: January 8, 2019, 01:27:51 am »
He's a midfielder now - but can't do the defensive work over a long period.

Offline BeepBeepImAJeep

• Smokes his hy-dro on the d-low. Drives to the beach. Top down, loud sounds, sees his peeps.
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1325 on: January 8, 2019, 03:01:13 am »
His pace has gone. Most of his leg muscles are gone. The best of his movement inside the box may have pretty much gone. He was never a presser anyway.

What's left is a very clever player, with the vision to recognise movement, to visualise the holes in a defence, to spot a pass around the box and the skill to execute it.

Don’t agree with this. Has never been much of a willing or quality passer of the ball. Our play in the forward third under Klopp is predicated on quick one touch interplay which is the opposite of Studge - who rarely takes one or two touches when he can take six or seven instead.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #1326 on: January 8, 2019, 06:27:03 am »

What's left is a very clever player, with the vision to recognise movement, to visualise the holes in a defence, to spot a pass around the box and the skill to execute it; or to fire in a crucial goal. There's a role there for him - like Burnley, or late in big games chasing a goal against a team sitting back. It almost certainly relies on being in a team playing rather better than tonight, dominating the ball and playing in the opponent's half. It's very situational, and it isn't always going to work (and occasionally it may not look pretty).

Tend to agree with most of this, particularly the situational comment. His diminished physical attributes, or the playing within himself physically, means that he really doesn’t fit the needs of the this team functionally except in a few scenarios. Which is mostly fine, because what he did at Chelsea might be very critical, and he has the ability to do that again.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1327 on: January 8, 2019, 06:52:14 am »
We simply don’t have the quality in reserve, not just up front.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1328 on: January 8, 2019, 06:56:46 am »
We simply don’t have the quality in reserve, not just up front.

Its not far off. If we have Gomez, Matip and Lallana available then we could win yesterday. You are not convincing me that City win yesterday no matter who they play against a good PL team.

I would say maybe we need more durable centrebacks, a more durable version of Lallana as well and we definitely need another good attacker.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1329 on: January 8, 2019, 07:05:58 am »
Its not far off. If we have Gomez, Matip and Lallana available then we could win yesterday. You are not convincing me that City win yesterday no matter who they play against a good PL team.

I would say maybe we need more durable centrebacks, a more durable version of Lallana as well and we definitely need another good attacker.

I take your points especially on Gomez, however not convinced by Matip and Lallana it’s so hard to say as he always seems to be injured.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1330 on: January 8, 2019, 07:11:59 am »
I take your points especially on Gomez, however not convinced by Matip and Lallana it’s so hard to say as he always seems to be injured.

Yes I will concede that we have to question the durability if not the quality of those two players. Matip as 4th choice centreback and Lallana as 5th choice midfielder illustrates a good squad but they must be able to play.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1331 on: January 8, 2019, 07:47:28 am »
Sturridge isn't and never was the type of striker to charge the ball down and chase lost causes. Sturridge does his best work inside the box and we were playing too far away from goal to make that happen.
Sturridge is essentially a sub now and his games per minutes as a sub is quite good. I (think) it's a goal per 90 minutes played.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1332 on: January 8, 2019, 10:45:50 am »
decent sub but i wouldnt start him anymore as when he does start he doesnt seem to do much anymore

pace gone
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1333 on: January 8, 2019, 04:05:06 pm »
Was just watching the game back, the fella can't or is scared to run. In the 90 minutes not once did he attempt a sprint. Still can provide something in the second half the season but as a starter I don't think so.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1334 on: January 8, 2019, 04:07:34 pm »
He’s finished sadly. Has been for a while. That goal at Chelsea could be the difference in winning the title or not tho.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1335 on: January 8, 2019, 06:23:29 pm »
Looked like he couldn't be arsed last night. Neither can I any more mate.

What could of been Daniel.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 06:27:13 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1336 on: January 8, 2019, 06:43:43 pm »
He’s finished sadly. Has been for a while. That goal at Chelsea could be the difference in winning the title or not tho.

> He's finished
> Scored a fucking worldie to grab a huge point at Stamford bridge a few months ago, days after scoring an overhead kick against them
> He's finished

:D

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1337 on: January 8, 2019, 06:53:46 pm »
> He's finished
> Scored a fucking worldie to grab a huge point at Stamford bridge a few months ago, days after scoring an overhead kick against them
> He's finished

Yeah, because scoring 2 goals means at the peak of his game  ::)

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1338 on: January 8, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »
Yeah, because scoring 2 goals means at the peak of his game  ::)

Better goals per minute than Salah, Firmino and Mane after all playing 500+ each.

The fact is he's featured on and off this season and has contributed.

No ones saying he's world class but some of the knee-jerking is a bit ridiculous, worth having in the squad.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1339 on: January 8, 2019, 07:09:19 pm »
Better goals per minute than Salah, Firmino and Mane after all playing 500+ each.

No ones saying he's world class but some of the knee-jerking is a bit ridiculous, worth having in the squad.

I did say his goal against Chelsea could be very important. If we win it he deserves a medal for that alone. For me tho I think his time at the top level is over. I also think the same of lallana and said so before the season started. Their wages would be better used elsewhere. I think they’ll both be gone in the summer.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: January 8, 2019, 08:29:10 pm »
The thing is here. Who’d bet against him having another one or two Chelsea type, point winning, moments, where he has a massive impact in a game again this season? I wouldn’t and I reckon most if not all would. So I agree, I don’t think it’s fair to declare him done and dusted after a performance in which no one really did well. It was a disjointed performance because it was a disjointed team picked by Klopp, out of necessity. It was just a dud game in all respects, and I don’t think you can criticise anyone there for it. The players performance given the disjointed team. Nor Klopp for picking the team, given the focus we *have* to have on this league title. It’s one of those games that will become a moot point in the grand scheme of this season. Kind of like that time we came 5th in the league back in 2005. So, may as well get the moaning out the way (we havent had to moan for so long, we probably had to have a good one!) and then look firmly at the win against Brighton. Against who Sturridge will be on the bench and may have to come on late on to win us something. Wouldn’t bet against him doing so either!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1341 on: January 8, 2019, 08:30:33 pm »
The thing is here. Who’d bet against him having another one or two Chelsea type, point winning, moments, where he has a massive impact in a game again this season? I wouldn’t and I reckon most if not all would. So I agree, I don’t think it’s fair to declare him done and dusted after a performance in which no one really did well. It was a disjointed performance because it was a disjointed team picked by Klopp, out of necessity. It was just a dud game in all respects, and I don’t think you can criticise anyone there for it. The players performance given the disjointed team. Nor Klopp for picking the team, given the focus we *have* to have on this league title. It’s one of those games that will become a moot point in the grand scheme of this season. Kind of like that time we came 5th in the league back in 2005. So, may as well get the moaning out the way (we havent had to moan for so long, we probably had to have a good one!) and then look firmly at the win against Brighton. Against who Sturridge will be on the bench and may have to come on late on to win us something. Wouldn’t bet against him doing so either!

Well said. He started against PSG, scored and could have had another and was good in the game.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1342 on: January 8, 2019, 08:47:57 pm »
Well said. He started against PSG, scored and could have had another and was good in the game.

No problem in top games.

Blood and thunder cup games where graft beats quality?  Not his forte
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: January 8, 2019, 08:51:11 pm »
Sturridge Is much better with better players around him. He is a good squad option: not all squad options have to be able to do well when playing with other squad players. If Firmino was injured tomorrow I'd trust Sturridge to do well with Salah, Mane and a better midfield behind him.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1344 on: January 8, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »
Sturridge Is much better with better players around him. He is a good squad option: not all squad options have to be able to do well when playing with other squad players. If Firmino was injured tomorrow I'd trust Sturridge to do well with Salah, Mane and a better midfield behind him.
I used to think that, but now, am not so sure. It may, be time to look for another different option.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1345 on: January 8, 2019, 09:13:01 pm »

World class or shit. There's nothing in between.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1346 on: January 8, 2019, 10:05:55 pm »
His biggest problem has always been that he's not at all a Klopp player. But if you've got him in the squad then he's totally worth using in certain situations. He can have 10 minute spells where he looks like an absolute genius.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1347 on: January 8, 2019, 10:29:43 pm »
Sturridge Is much better with better players around him.

This is not unusual.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1348 on: January 8, 2019, 10:34:46 pm »
He is still worth keeping of but as a impact sub if we are chasing for a goal.

Completely pointless starting him, he can’t even last 45mins these days.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1349 on: January 8, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »
This is not unusual.

Believe it or not, I was the same.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1350 on: January 8, 2019, 10:55:40 pm »
There is a case for keeping him even after this season but he cannot be the first or second change for the front 3 anymore. He just hasnt been effective enough. Could still be questions around whether we should have used him more.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1351 on: January 8, 2019, 10:57:09 pm »
There is a case for keeping him even after this season but he cannot be the first or second change for the front 3 anymore.

There isn't really a case for keeping him then.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: January 8, 2019, 10:59:37 pm »
There isn't really a case for keeping him then.

Thing is, could we have used him more? I am not sure yet whether options wise Klopp has the exact number of attackers he wants and how many minutes Sturridge has got is exactly how many minutes Klopp’s 5th best attacker would get.

If so, then you are struggling to find players as good as Sturridge willing to sit on the bench for as much as he has.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: January 8, 2019, 11:00:45 pm »
He looked really sharp in the first third of the season and all the noises about him in the camp were positive.  He's hardly got on the pitch recently and when he has he's underwhelmed.

Maybe the nonsense betting charge, maybe the lack of a new contract forthcoming, maybe just Klopp rotating his front three less and Sturridge losing some rhythm.

I still rate him and I think his creativity as a link player is underappreciated.  That said, we looked twice the team when Firmino replaced him against Wolves.  Firmino can turn 20/80 balls into good possession and that's not a trait Sturridge had even in his prime, so when the service is largely crap (as it was for most of last night!) then Sturridge becomes a passenger.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1354 on: January 8, 2019, 11:06:53 pm »
Thing is, could we have used him more? I am not sure yet whether options wise Klopp has the exact number of attackers he wants and how many minutes Sturridge has got is exactly how many minutes Klopp’s 5th best attacker would get.

If so, then your struggling to find players as good as Sturridge willing to sit on the bench for as much as he has.

Hopefully we're going to sign someone who is will be good enough to rotate with the front three.

Then we've got Shaqiri, Brewster will be in the picture, Wilson could get an opportunity.

There reaches a point where it's probably best for everyone to move on and it feels like it's close to that point with Sturridge - he's got something to offer elsewhere, and there will be clubs that can offer him more than Liverpool can now.  He's not 30 yet, he needs to get out and play football, he's had enough of his career taken away from him to not want to waste another season of it potentially struggling to get on our bench. 

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: January 8, 2019, 11:07:36 pm »
World class or shit. There's nothing in between.

Not for a lot of posters.
He's had an impact off the bench this season but needs the better players around him. The days when he could take the game to the opposition from the start are gone. Late on when games open up and legs are tiring is where he's still useful.
There's been plenty of players like that over the years too.

I suspect he'll be gone next year if we find a good player who's happy to spend plenty time on the bench, although we'll have to go for youth most likely for that. The superstar bench player that some fans expect is quite a rare species.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1356 on: January 8, 2019, 11:24:15 pm »
He's such a confidence player. Bundles of talent but I dont think he fits our style. Can still be lethal off the bench but I dont think he'll continue to be happy having a bit part role. Started the season looking like he was going to improve his work rate on the press but last night was not nearly good enough. If we win something, I think this summer will be it for him. Massive talent but injuries messed up what could and should have been a hugely illustrious career. Hope it works out for him.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1357 on: January 8, 2019, 11:34:22 pm »
Not for a lot of posters.
He's had an impact off the bench this season but needs the better players around him. The days when he could take the game to the opposition from the start are gone. Late on when games open up and legs are tiring is where he's still useful.
There's been plenty of players like that over the years too.

I suspect he'll be gone next year if we find a good player who's happy to spend plenty time on the bench, although we'll have to go for youth most likely for that. The superstar bench player that some fans expect is quite a rare species.

It's not a superstar bench player that people are hoping for, it would be a quality option that could play across the front and rotate with Salah, Mane and Firmino.

That's probably the last major piece of the puzzle for us now. 

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1358 on: January 8, 2019, 11:34:41 pm »
He is still worth keeping of but as a impact sub if we are chasing for a goal.

Completely pointless starting him, he can’t even last 45mins these days.

In the two games he started prior to Wolves he played the full 90.  :o

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1359 on: January 8, 2019, 11:46:59 pm »
It's not a superstar bench player that people are hoping for, it would be a quality option that could play across the front and rotate with Salah, Mane and Firmino.

That's probably the last major piece of the puzzle for us now.

I dunno, it seems that some are because every time we bring on a sub and he doesn't score he's shite. The same if one of the fringe players starts and doesn't score. Shaq  is probably meant to be the stand in front three man. Fekir I assume was for similar purposes.
I agree that we'll try and bring in that type of player and I also think Sturridge and Origi will make way if we do. But they've had a big positive impact on our league position also so the over the top whingefest about them jars a bit with me. Anyone rememember Voronin, Pongolle, Le tallac, Lambert etc etc etc.