Author Topic: Harry Kewell  (Read 91314 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Harry Kewell
« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2018, 11:32:13 am »
Appointed Notts County manager

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/kewell-appointed-manager/

Are they a bigger draw than Crawley? Oldest team in the world and all that. Good luck to him.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2018, 11:32:15 am »
Good luck to him!

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2018, 11:32:38 am »
Getting them up to and establishing them in League One is a good challenge to take on for him.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:14 am »
Are they a bigger draw than Crawley? Oldest team in the world and all that. Good luck to him.

Greater fanbase, stadium capacity right at the top of that level of football and probably higher wage budget as well.
Linudden.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2018, 01:28:18 pm »
Brilliant news. Always have a lot of time for Harry Kewel and hope he’s a great success at Notts County. It’s a grand old English club that need life breathing into it - great that they have a star name and talented manager at the helm now.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #445 on: September 2, 2018, 09:41:34 am »
With a new owner, a soon to be coming Technical Director, sounds like Kewell has joined an exciting project.

From the article now moved to https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/kewell-appointed-manager/

"As part of the restructure, Darren Fletcher will be standing down from his role as vice-chairman."
That's not the Man Utd Darren Fletcher though.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2018, 09:43:14 am by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #446 on: September 3, 2018, 03:16:51 pm »
With a new owner, a soon to be coming Technical Director, sounds like Kewell has joined an exciting project.

From the article now moved to https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/kewell-appointed-manager/

"As part of the restructure, Darren Fletcher will be standing down from his role as vice-chairman."
That's not the Man Utd Darren Fletcher though.

Good for him,have always like the fella and was over the moon when we signed him,just a shame that his body let him down.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: September 7, 2018, 06:20:28 pm »
I’m keeping a close eye on Harry Kewell’s progress at Notts County. I spend time now and then in that part of the world and intend to check out a game or two at Meadow Lane.

Watched his first press conference for the upcoming game against Exeter and also his joining interviews - seriously, he has kicked onto another level both in terms of the club he is at and the way he presents himself.

They’ve also just appointed Paul Hart, who helped bring him up when he was a new kid in the UK, and Hart was involved in promotion at his last club.

Kewell is now building an impressive management profile. This role at Notts County will be critical to his potential being considered for top jobs in the next 3-4 years. From interviews he’s given and those from the Notts County chairman, there seems to be a long term 3-4 year vision to replicate Bournemouth’s rise through the leagues. If he can replicate half of that then he will be in the running for Premier League management roles IMO. He’s played at the very highest level, an icon in his homeland, learnt from the best managers (Benitez at Liverpool, Rijkaard at Galatasaray for example), building grassroots football knowledge, and has the resilience of someone that has had to work abroad in different countries. All reports show he also has a voracious work ethic and passionate about coaching, and less interested in the overall management side. This fits in well with the modern technical director model. He’s also young so has plenty time on his side.

Notts County seem to now have strong leadership and rebranded themselves well. 20k capacity modern stadium too. They’re going places and Kewell is a man to watch now. Impressed.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2018, 06:30:36 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #448 on: September 11, 2018, 09:42:50 am »
Lost 5-1 against Exeter and got sent off. They're bottom of the league on 1 point.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
I like Harry... but turns out you get a lot more protection as a player than manager.

I wonder if he still feels like this... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/45997434

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2018, 03:50:58 pm »
Appointed Notts County manager

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/kewell-appointed-manager/

Getting them up to and establishing them in League One is a good challenge to take on for him.

Greater fanbase, stadium capacity right at the top of that level of football and probably higher wage budget as well.

Lost 5-1 against Exeter and got sent off. They're bottom of the league on 1 point.

And now sacked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46192363

Poor old Harry. Better luck next time.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #452 on: November 14, 2018, 01:56:19 am »
Top player loved Harry his diving header against Birmingham City springs to mind. He was desperately unlucky with injuries I always thought a section of the fanbase where too harsh on him like they are to Sturridge now kind of. Also was a big fan of Maxi, Riera, Yossi etc

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: December 3, 2018, 09:25:56 am »
Sad for Harry Kewell it went belly up at Notts County. He was in the job for five seconds.

The owner does seem a bit of a plonker though from recent reports I read - I made a mistake in a previous post suggesting they appear to have strong leadership.

Hope Harry gets another gig soon. Seems passionate about being a good manager.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #454 on: December 3, 2018, 06:03:30 pm »
I’m keeping a close eye on Harry Kewell’s progress at Notts County. I spend time now and then in that part of the world and intend to check out a game or two at Meadow Lane.

Watched his first press conference for the upcoming game against Exeter and also his joining interviews - seriously, he has kicked onto another level both in terms of the club he is at and the way he presents himself.

They’ve also just appointed Paul Hart, who helped bring him up when he was a new kid in the UK, and Hart was involved in promotion at his last club.

Kewell is now building an impressive management profile. This role at Notts County will be critical to his potential being considered for top jobs in the next 3-4 years. From interviews he’s given and those from the Notts County chairman, there seems to be a long term 3-4 year vision to replicate Bournemouth’s rise through the leagues. If he can replicate half of that then he will be in the running for Premier League management roles IMO. He’s played at the very highest level, an icon in his homeland, learnt from the best managers (Benitez at Liverpool, Rijkaard at Galatasaray for example), building grassroots football knowledge, and has the resilience of someone that has had to work abroad in different countries. All reports show he also has a voracious work ethic and passionate about coaching, and less interested in the overall management side. This fits in well with the modern technical director model. He’s also young so has plenty time on his side.

Notts County seem to now have strong leadership and rebranded themselves well. 20k capacity modern stadium too. They’re going places and Kewell is a man to watch now. Impressed.

Well this post hasn't aged well :D

The bolded has no bearing on anything a person will do as a manager/coach.

Coaching and management is a separate talent (and it IS a talent)

Being a high level player and having played under high level managers has virtually no correlation to performance as a manager or coach. Even brief early success has no indication of the future. Some managers/coaches are better suited to certain levels than they or anyone else would like, while others can only ever work with elite players and will flounder in any environment less than that.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: December 4, 2018, 09:49:19 am »
Well this post hasn't aged well :D

The bolded has no bearing on anything a person will do as a manager/coach.

Coaching and management is a separate talent (and it IS a talent)

Being a high level player and having played under high level managers has virtually no correlation to performance as a manager or coach. Even brief early success has no indication of the future. Some managers/coaches are better suited to certain levels than they or anyone else would like, while others can only ever work with elite players and will flounder in any environment less than that.

Yer bastard calling me out like that ;D ... Indeed, the post hasn’t aged well lol

I still hope that Kewell has a career in management. He came across as being so passionate and enthusiastic to make it as a manger, and I always had a soft spot for him when he played for us.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: December 4, 2018, 09:58:23 am »
Should never have left Crawley for Notts County in the first place. I can understand most managers down there making that move, but I doubt Kewell needed the pay rise like a lot of them would.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: December 4, 2018, 11:42:49 am »
Should never have left Crawley for Notts County in the first place. I can understand most managers down there making that move, but I doubt Kewell needed the pay rise like a lot of them would.

Hindsight is 20/20 mate - Notts County are a proper football club.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #458 on: December 4, 2018, 03:45:13 pm »
Yer bastard calling me out like that ;D ... Indeed, the post hasn’t aged well lol

I still hope that Kewell has a career in management. He came across as being so passionate and enthusiastic to make it as a manger, and I always had a soft spot for him when he played for us.

I was just joshing ye, mate :)

But there's no way of predicting how a person will do in management. And playing career is certainly no predictor, nor is "passion" or "enthusiasm".

It's a talent, like any other facet of sport, and you have to see how coaches do before we can guess. Talented coaches and managers usually have a good impact early on, usually at places with lesser resources, although occasionally with the best resources too. But true coaching and managing talent is usually seen with individuals working with the least resources but getting the most out of them.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: December 4, 2018, 04:24:49 pm »

Its not hindsight though. Kewell was settled at Crawley and was relatively comfortable, with the support of the fans etc.

Notts County on the other hand are known to not give managers much time and have lofty expectations. They are currently on their 14th permanent manager since 2010 and their seventh since 2015.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: December 4, 2018, 04:41:56 pm »

They're the original football club, the rest of us are just Johnny Come Latelys!

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: December 12, 2018, 09:44:52 am »
Its not hindsight though. Kewell was settled at Crawley and was relatively comfortable, with the support of the fans etc.

Notts County on the other hand are known to not give managers much time and have lofty expectations. They are currently on their 14th permanent manager since 2010 and their seventh since 2015.

Well I don’t blame him for taking the challenge as it’s a big step up from Crawley.

I hope he bounces back and gets another gig, as he did a fine job at Crawley.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: December 12, 2018, 09:45:29 am »
They're the original football club, the rest of us are just Johnny Come Latelys!

Lol Notts county gave the world football 😄

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: December 12, 2018, 09:47:57 am »
I was just joshing ye, mate :)

But there's no way of predicting how a person will do in management. And playing career is certainly no predictor, nor is "passion" or "enthusiasm".

It's a talent, like any other facet of sport, and you have to see how coaches do before we can guess. Talented coaches and managers usually have a good impact early on, usually at places with lesser resources, although occasionally with the best resources too. But true coaching and managing talent is usually seen with individuals working with the least resources but getting the most out of them.

Of course mate. And I agree with you on all counts.

But from what I could see from his time at Crawley, he looked like he was forming a solid body of work as a manager. Coupled with his strong work ethic, passion for the game and surely having learnt from some great managers (albeit as a player), you would hope he’d get another chance soon to prove his managerial credentials. I hope so anyway as he seems a talented and likeable guy.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2020, 11:19:51 am »
Seeing the post about Danny Murphy made me go and have a look at the season highlights of 03/04 that the club posted. I was only young but I was so excited when we signed Harry Kewell, he was one of the best talents in the league and we robbed Leeds for him. We always struggled for width in that Houllier team and he seemed the perfect addition and that fabled "last piece of the jigsaw". In my memory, though, he never managed to show us what he was all about until 2006, obviously mainly down to injuries. However, watching those highlights, Kewell looked to be at the centre of everything, and basically looked every bit the player we thought we'd signed.

Any memories of that 03/04 season? Did Kewell produce his Leeds form in that debut season or is it the highlights sugarcoating it? 11 goals in all competitions wasn't a bad return for a winger back then and he had 36 league appearances which surprised me too!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2020, 11:25:32 am »
Seeing the post about Danny Murphy made me go and have a look at the season highlights of 03/04 that the club posted. I was only young but I was so excited when we signed Harry Kewell, he was one of the best talents in the league and we robbed Leeds for him. We always struggled for width in that Houllier team and he seemed the perfect addition and that fabled "last piece of the jigsaw". In my memory, though, he never managed to show us what he was all about until 2006, obviously mainly down to injuries. However, watching those highlights, Kewell looked to be at the centre of everything, and basically looked every bit the player we thought we'd signed.

Any memories of that 03/04 season? Did Kewell produce his Leeds form in that debut season or is it the highlights sugarcoating it? 11 goals in all competitions wasn't a bad return for a winger back then and he had 36 league appearances which surprised me too!

I actually can't remember much because I was around 12-13 years old but I do remember getting the new home kit with his name on the back thinking he was the answer to all our problems.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:18 am »
He wasn’t as direct when he came to us. Probably became a more intelligent player than he’d been at Leeds but a major part of Harry Kewell’s quality had been his ability to beat a man on the outside and get to the byline. Rarely saw that at Liverpool unfortunately, although that’s not to say he was a disappointment. Him and Finnan arriving together was very astute business from Houllier.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2020, 11:30:15 am »
03/04 was a bad season on the whole although we did enough to limp into 4th. We started slowly, carrying on from where 02/03 ended although generally speaking Kewell was usually one of our brightest players. From memory we played a little differently at the start of the season, Owen was supported by Kewell and Smicer and we played some nice stuff but were uncharacteristically shaky at the back like that 3-2 defeat at Charlton.

I think Kewell scores at Goodison, at home to United and Arsenal, away to Leeds so showed up in some big games. He wasn’t as electrifying as he had been at Leeds but the team as a whole wasn’t performing that well and he on his own couldn’t really stop it.

I seem to remember him being one of our better players that season though. I think he gets a slightly unfair reputation because of those cup final injuries. When he played he was generally god and the fact that Rafa almost always played him when he could, all the way into 07/08 when I can remember him playing against Porto and Marseille shows he must have rated him.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
Always remember his performance in the 2006 FA Cup semi-final. Well worth watching that back to see how much of a talent he could be.
JFT97

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2020, 11:57:26 am »
Always remember his performance in the 2006 FA Cup semi-final. Well worth watching that back to see how much of a talent he could be.

That’s right. Skinned Paulo Ferreira all game didn’t he?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:37 pm »
Think he had a great first half to his first season didn't he? Then got injured and that is pretty much how his career here went.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:14 pm »
Think he had a great first half to his first season didn't he? Then got injured and that is pretty much how his career here went.

Yep. That made me look back though and dear God we were shite. 60 points, 10 defeats but sealed 4th with a game to spare as Newcastle were that little bit worse!

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2020, 11:43:38 pm »
03/04 was a bad season on the whole although we did enough to limp into 4th. We started slowly, carrying on from where 02/03 ended although generally speaking Kewell was usually one of our brightest players. From memory we played a little differently at the start of the season, Owen was supported by Kewell and Smicer and we played some nice stuff but were uncharacteristically shaky at the back like that 3-2 defeat at Charlton.

I think Kewell scores at Goodison, at home to United and Arsenal, away to Leeds so showed up in some big games. He wasn’t as electrifying as he had been at Leeds but the team as a whole wasn’t performing that well and he on his own couldn’t really stop it.

I seem to remember him being one of our better players that season though. I think he gets a slightly unfair reputation because of those cup final injuries. When he played he was generally god and the fact that Rafa almost always played him when he could, all the way into 07/08 when I can remember him playing against Porto and Marseille shows he must have rated him.
High praise indeed, Nick  ;D

It is interesting watching those seasons back how little seemed to change personnel wise year on year. We seemed to keep the same spine, just adding one or two every year but they never made the huge impact we wanted from them. On paper i'm not sure our teams were that far off of United and Arsenal between 2000/2004, just our signings never quite hit the levels we needed them to. Litmanen could've been amazing, Kewell had the potential, Anelka was great but we ended up choosing Diouf. United spent everyone out of the water and we couldn't compete with that but Arsenal were incredible in the transfer market and just more savvy than we were; Pires, Ljungberg etc drove them to the level that we just couldn't reach.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #473 on: May 15, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
Sick note.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2020, 09:34:51 am »
Other than getting injured in finals, the main thing I remember about Kewell was a match against the red mancs, where almost from the first whistle he just smashed himself into a United player.  Think it might have been Neville actually. Was quite deliberate too. ;D

Not sure which game it was, might have been the one Smith broke his leg.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #475 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:11 pm »
Other than getting injured in finals, the main thing I remember about Kewell was a match against the red mancs, where almost from the first whistle he just smashed himself into a United player.  Think it might have been Neville actually. Was quite deliberate too. ;D

Not sure which game it was, might have been the one Smith broke his leg.

Yeah it was the FA Cup game when Crouch got the winner. Think it was Neville’s first game at Anfield since that last minute Ferdinand winner when Neville ran half the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of our fans. Kewell shoves him down early and I think someone threw a burger at him. :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: May 17, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
Yeah it was the FA Cup game when Crouch got the winner. Think it was Neville’s first game at Anfield since that last minute Ferdinand winner when Neville ran half the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of our fans. Kewell shoves him down early and I think someone threw a burger at him. :D

:D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #477 on: May 17, 2020, 04:27:39 pm »

Burger instead of a child?

We're so far from the avant garde in in-match missiledom...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2020, 08:09:46 am »
Burger instead of a child?

We're so far from the avant garde in in-match missiledom...

Sorry, Patrik Berger threw his son at him.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #479 on: May 19, 2020, 08:38:17 am »
Sorry, Patrik Berger threw his son at him.
So, who’s copper kettle was it?
AHA!