Author Topic: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup last 16  (Read 258651 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup last 16
« Reply #3040 on: March 7, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »
wish Chiellini also said “They are not like Liverpool who is actually a proper legendary British club”

Well we'll always remember what Seedorf said about us all those years ago.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3041 on: March 7, 2018, 10:14:27 pm »
Yeah really good interview. Didn't realize he has a degree in economics and a MBA
he basically said the ‘lads it’s spurs’ bit that ferguson once said ;D

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3042 on: March 7, 2018, 10:14:52 pm »
Did he really say that ?
Pretty much, said they knew spurs had a history of not arriving at the win.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3043 on: March 7, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »
Well we'll always remember what Seedorf said about us all those years ago.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #3044 on: March 7, 2018, 10:15:10 pm »
That Juve team in that tie was ridiculous.

Had about 8 bonafied world class players in it.

Just looked it up: Buffon, Zebina, Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta, Blasi, Emerson, Camoranesi, Nedved, Del Piero, Ibrahimovic.

Some players in that team.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #3045 on: March 7, 2018, 10:15:31 pm »
Chellini says Spurs are historical bottlers 😂😂😂

Haha he did. And that is their only history - Bottlers.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3046 on: March 7, 2018, 10:15:33 pm »

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #3047 on: March 7, 2018, 10:16:05 pm »
Pretty sure Pochettino took a dig at us there saying other teams had an easier route

Good. Hope he did. I also hope we get every easy team all the way to the final and lift big ears for the 6th time!  ;D
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline fingermouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3048 on: March 7, 2018, 10:16:28 pm »
I’ve not seen an Old Lady come from behind so gloriously since Wayne Rooney had his phone hacked.
Fuck sake...lmao [emoji1]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3049 on: March 7, 2018, 10:17:26 pm »
Outstanding.

Their reputation goes beyond our shores

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3050 on: March 7, 2018, 10:17:37 pm »
How often does Busquets get a killer pass or a shot off? Dembele is unbelievably hard to press and is tremendous at keeping possession for the team. The main knock I'd have on him is that he needs another player alongside him to do defensive work as that's an area he's not as effective at.

You’re comparing apples with oranges. Barca have a different system to Spurs, but even if we were to use your crude comparison, then surely it’s Dier or when he plays, Wanyama, who’s in the Busquets role? And your post also underestimates the passing ability of Busquets in an attacking sense.

So, overall, can’t agree with your post at all.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3051 on: March 7, 2018, 10:17:38 pm »
Just looked it up: Buffon, Zebina, Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta, Blasi, Emerson, Camoranesi, Nedved, Del Piero, Ibrahimovic.

Sami owned Ibra both legs.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3052 on: March 7, 2018, 10:17:59 pm »
This thread will be buzzing with quality gifs if Sevilla also does their job next week against United.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3053 on: March 7, 2018, 10:18:12 pm »
Haha he did. And that is their only history - Bottlers.

It is a pretty crass thing to say, never see the point of stuff like this. It's not like Juventus were outstanding in this game. They had the experience but Spurs had the opportunities to put the game away, but were not ruthless enough.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3054 on: March 7, 2018, 10:18:51 pm »

They couldn't cope with Scott Carson, Igor Biscan and Anthony Le Tallec. True story.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: March 7, 2018, 10:18:52 pm »
It is a pretty crass thing to say, never see the point of stuff like this. It's not like Juventus were outstanding in this game. They had the experience but Spurs had the opportunities to put the game away, but were not ruthless enough.

It's Spurs, Jill. More trolling the better ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3056 on: March 7, 2018, 10:19:56 pm »
It's Spurs, Jill. More trolling the better ;D

I know, but it's a game at the end of the day, just be happy no need to put people down.

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3057 on: March 7, 2018, 10:20:38 pm »
Pretty sure Pochettino took a dig at us there saying other teams had an easier route

More reason to want us to draw Juventus next round and smash them off the park.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: March 7, 2018, 10:23:16 pm »
Loved it personally.
  Probably had to listen to all their hype after the first leg,   and was a bit pissed off.   Lucky he doesn't live in the UK.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3059 on: March 7, 2018, 10:24:53 pm »
Chielleni might as well have said that Spurs are a small club. Shows you how much weight European history actually holds in big European matches. Doesn't matter that we will be playing our first QF in 9 years, Chielleni could never talk about us like that. The name Liverpool puts fear in the hearts of other teams.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3060 on: March 7, 2018, 10:25:51 pm »
Loved it personally.
  Probably had to listen to all their hype after the first leg,   and was a bit pissed off.   Lucky he doesn't live in the UK.

I think its true to say he has been a bit misrepresented with what's he's claimed to have said to be fair.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3061 on: March 7, 2018, 10:25:58 pm »
You’re comparing apples with oranges. Barca have a different system to Spurs, but even if we were to use your crude comparison, then surely it’s Dier or when he plays, Wanyama, who’s in the Busquets role? And your post also underestimates the passing ability of Busquets in an attacking sense.

So, overall, can’t agree with your post at all.

No, my point with Busquets is that he doesn't make many "killer passes" or take many shots, for which you criticise Dembele - I don't think that's a knock on either player and I think both contribute to the attack in very important ways for their teams. The key comparison between the two for me is that it's very hard to get them off the ball. Neither of them get very many assists or make very many key passes or score many goals but those measures simply aren't a good way to assess their game, which is why I think your criticism of Dembele is misguided.

As for who plays the Busquets role for Spurs, that was the second point in my post - they have two players doing it. Dembele for keeping the ball and Dier/Wanyama for winning it back. Busquets is that good he can do every aspect on his own. There aren't many like him and certainly nobody as good.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: March 7, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »
Ferdinand must get paid to mention Ronaldos name, never shuts up about him

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3063 on: March 7, 2018, 10:26:57 pm »
I think its true to say he has been a bit misrepresented with what's he's claimed to have said to be fair.

Have you watched the interview?

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: March 7, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3065 on: March 7, 2018, 10:32:14 pm »
No, my point with Busquets is that he doesn't make many "killer passes" or take many shots, for which you criticise Dembele - I don't think that's a knock on either player and I think both contribute to the attack in very important ways for their teams. The key comparison between the two for me is that it's very hard to get them off the ball. Neither of them get very many assists or make very many key passes or score many goals but those measures simply aren't a good way to assess their game, which is why I think your criticism of Dembele is misguided.

As for who plays the Busquets role for Spurs, that was the second point in my post - they have two players doing it. Dembele for keeping the ball and Dier/Wanyama for winning it back. Busquets is that good he can do every aspect on his own. There aren't many like him and certainly nobody as good.

Well we’re going to have to agree about Busquets’ capabilities but disagree about Dembele. He has enough freedom to do more in an attacking sense - much more in fact - than he does. Being difficult to dispossess is fine so far as it goes. It’s not anywhere near enough to be given the status of “elite”, which was the point of my original gripe.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3066 on: March 7, 2018, 10:32:19 pm »
Now come on Seville.

Saying that we probs more likely to beat utd than our bogey team.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: March 7, 2018, 10:32:31 pm »
Have you watched the interview?

No I was going by what someone claimed he had said, but it seems to have been misquoted or misunderstood somewhat.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: March 7, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »

Got a really tough one in the Europa League last year, I mean, how could they have ever been expected to get by Genk.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3069 on: March 7, 2018, 10:33:10 pm »
That was delicious. Not sure whether it was a Juventus masterclass or a spot of fortune but either way, in the end they looked the part. A proper european side with the confidence in their gameplan that only comes with such prestige. It really counts for something and I think thats why city might end up eventually falling short.

As beautiful as it was to see tonight, I would love it if we smashed these in the next round.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #3070 on: March 7, 2018, 10:34:47 pm »

Nope, meant what he said, something along the lines of 'We are a team with history'  :)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: March 7, 2018, 10:36:06 pm »
Nope, meant what he said, something along the lines of 'We are a team with history'  :)

Well we will see what their history means should they be facing Mane, Salah and Bobby in the next round then.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: March 7, 2018, 10:36:45 pm »
I sincerely hope Juventus make tonight's game the main focus of another episode of their Netflix series ;D

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #3073 on: March 7, 2018, 10:37:54 pm »
Here you go from the Beeb.

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini, talking to BT Sport: "For us it is an amazing night. it was very difficult and we knew before this match and also before the first game. But we believed it and believed in the win.
"We knew Tottenham have fantastic players, and are an amazing side, but we know they concede many chances every game. And also at the end the first half we believed it, we said keep calm and the chances would surely arrive.
"We had to be concentrated and score when we had our chances. It was a difficult game but we achieved our target."

On Tottenham's disappointing exit: "It's the history of Tottenham. They always created many chances to score so much, but at the end they miss always something to arrive at the end. We believe in the history. We saw it yesterday between Paris and Real, the history is important, with experience it is important, and tonight we use our skill and arrive at the win.
"We have improved year by year and match by match and we improve with many players. It is very difficult but we are here."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: March 7, 2018, 10:38:45 pm »

Possibly but I'd say Seville and Basel are worse than Porto..so...
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: March 7, 2018, 10:39:01 pm »
That was delicious. Not sure whether it was a Juventus masterclass or a spot of fortune but either way, in the end they looked the part. A proper european side with the confidence in their gameplan that only comes with such prestige. It really counts for something and I think thats why city might end up eventually falling short.

As beautiful as it was to see tonight, I would love it if we smashed these in the next round.

Bit of a mixture. Good fortune to get to half time only 1-0 down but once they took the lead it was a masterclass in defending.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3076 on: March 7, 2018, 10:39:57 pm »
They couldn't cope with Scott Carson, Igor Biscan and Anthony Le Tallec. True story.

Tony Nunez in the second leg.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3077 on: March 7, 2018, 10:40:11 pm »
Possibly but I'd say Seville and Basel are worse than Porto..so...

Basel are for sure.

And what a nice win for them tonight too,  bit of pride restored after the home leg!

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #3078 on: March 7, 2018, 10:40:53 pm »
Sami owned Ibra both legs.

His head as well for that matter....
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline lgvkarlos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3079 on: March 7, 2018, 10:41:05 pm »
No I was going by what someone claimed he had said, but it seems to have been misquoted or misunderstood somewhat.
Don't think so, mentions it twice.
You may think different when you watch it, but I doubt it.