Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399951 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
True - but the PL has the most global appeal of all the big leagues (outside of the El Classico matches).

It does mate of course, it's important, but establishing yourself in Europe and winning it, creates a certain aura about the club.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »
I couldn't tell you how many leagues barcelona, real madrid, bayern or juve - for example - had in total off the top of my head.

I could tell you how many european cups they have though - because that's how the big boys measure themselves.

Would dearly love us to win the league, but it's no contest for me if it's a choice between that and old big ears.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2018, 03:47:48 pm »
And that's another thing. It's a reasonable bet that whichever side doesn't win the league this season WILL win the CL. There certainly aren't any better teams in it than ourselves and City, and City have a problem with a fan base that apparently couldn't give a toss about the CL, while from manager on up their whole structure is desperate for it.

Juventus and Barca are looking pretty good....

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2018, 03:50:30 pm »
I couldn't tell you how many leagues barcelona, real madrid, bayern or juve - for example - had in total off the top of my head.

I could tell you how many european cups they have though - because that's how the big boys measure themselves.

Would dearly love us to win the league, but it's no contest for me if it's a choice between that and old big ears.

Juve neck and neck with Forest on that score.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2018, 03:55:07 pm »
Juve neck and neck with Forest on that score.

Hah yes

Which is why they chucked £100 million down for a 33 year old

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:02 pm »
but it's no contest for me if it's a choice between that and old big ears.

No contest for me either, league by some way
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2018, 04:26:05 pm »
No contest for me either, league by some way

Me too.

Everyone knows how important big ears is to Liverpool FC and our history.

We won it in 2005 but what changed?  Massive achievement, but was it the marker for our return to somewhat dominance?  No, and I understand this was somewhat due to circumstances, i.e. the owners during that period hampering Rafas work.

But winning that league..............

Its been far far far too long, and it really is the weight on our shoulders.

We win that finally, after all these years, and a there's a huge release of steam.....

We challenge regularly, and the European Cups will follow.

Domestic dominance - regularly conquer Europe.

Its the Liverpool Way

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »
That;s partly because we have not won the league in ages.  Its also partly because once upon a time you had to win the league before you were allowed to compete for the European cup. So no league title, no European cup. I think that's why the European cup has always been given higher prestige. The champions of Europe were all in it and you were playing the best that each country has to offer - that perception still has not changed. Now, some of the strongest teams in Europe are also are in England. I think if Chelsea were in the European Cup this season, they would also be a strong challenger.

I want to win both league and the title though, because it is challenging and it would be satisfying to overcome a tough challenge vs. a league where one team beats everyone and everyone draws with everyone else.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2018, 04:32:56 pm »
City are capable of having a bad run, same as we are. We’ve just got to be in a position to take advantage when/if they do have a couple of poor results. Simple as that really, just keep on looking after our own results and see if we’re still up there with City and Chelsea come the new year. And if we are, just keep applying the pressure. It should be all on them. They’re expected to win it. They won’t like us doing what we’re doing. Cos the more we do it, the more the unthinkable (for them) becomes a possibility. Loving it at the moment. And fuck fucking goal difference. Jeez is that even a thing that people are seriously worrying about?

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2018, 04:37:08 pm »
City are capable of having a bad run, same as we are. We’ve just got to be in a position to take advantage when/if they do have a couple of poor results. Simple as that really, just keep on looking after our own results and see if we’re still up there with City and Chelsea come the new year. And if we are, just keep applying the pressure. It should be all on them. They’re expected to win it. They won’t like us doing what we’re doing. Cos the more we do it, the more the unthinkable (for them) becomes a possibility. Loving it at the moment. And fuck fucking goal difference. Jeez is that even a thing that people are seriously worrying about?

28 more games to go. Get the same results as them and improve our goal difference by one goal every game and the goal difference will be overcome.... or we can just go and thrash them and eliminate the entire goal difference in one game  :)

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2018, 04:39:09 pm »
Me too.

We won it in 2005 but what changed?  Massive achievement, but was it the marker for our return to somewhat dominance?  No, and I understand this was somewhat due to circumstances, i.e. the owners during that period hampering Rafas work.

We win that finally, after all these years, and a there's a huge release of steam.....

Its the Liverpool Way

we got back to the finals two years later and were one of the better sides in Europe in the competition,the parasites sacked our manager and didn't back him properly we fell into mediocrity and stayed there for several years. Nothing changed drastically because the people who were at the club did not take the necessary steps to push the club further and help improve the club

But winning CL and doing well in Europe, attracts players, it's the pinnacle of European football and for the first time in a very very long time we are all on the same page, the owners,the manager and the players.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2018, 06:57:17 pm »
Well put in the OP, JamesG L4.

The primary focus for us needs to be to do our part. If we want to challenge for the title, the baseline is to win 2/3 of the games and the 13/14 record of 26-6-6 is the first hurdle. 84 points. Once we get that, we will have a chance and then we can take it from there. It's difficult enough. We need to forget about City and the other sides and possible record seasons. We're much better off if we focus on the things we can control.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2018, 07:01:12 pm »

Joint top on points and a goal difference of 20-4 after 10 games, having played City, Chelsea and Spurs... here we are having poblems at the top of the league.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2018, 10:34:49 pm »
Juventus and Barca are looking pretty good....

Yep, but not better than us. They weren't last season, and they aren't this season either. Doesn't mean either team couldn't beat us, but they're not better. No way.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »
Obviously I want us to win the league, to get the monkey of our back so to speak, but the league imo will never be bigger than winning the European Cup on a global stage. It's where the club cements it's legacy worldwide.
It's why I can't understand the Citizens' seeming apathy towards it. It's mad.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:05 pm »

European Cups are the pinnacle of club football, and I'd never pass up an opportunity for us to win it. Barca have been dominating in Spain in the league in comparison to Real, but they wouldn't give up any of the 4 European Cups they've won in recent years for a league title.

Obviously I want us to win the league, to get the monkey of our back so to speak, but the league imo will never be bigger than winning the European Cup on a global stage. It's where the club cements it's legacy worldwide.

We need to win the league. It’s been too long. That should be the priority imo.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 1, 2018, 12:00:20 am »
We need to win the league. It’s been too long. That should be the priority imo.

I am not saying that we don't need to win the league and that it shouldn't be the priority but I am not for pissing away CL if we have a chance to get back to the final and win it. Lets try to do  both

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #217 on: November 1, 2018, 12:15:33 am »
Sometimes I think people would actually be happier with us floundering in mid table mediocrity as it would be easier to justify why they are pissed off. We are top of the league, enjoy the ride.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 1, 2018, 07:11:10 am »
Sometimes I think people would actually be happier with us floundering in mid table mediocrity as it would be easier to justify why they are pissed off. We are top of the league, enjoy the ride.

I guess is it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all?

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #219 on: November 1, 2018, 07:31:04 am »

While what they did last season was spectacular, their mentality was never really tested. At this stage last season they had a 5 point lead at the top which only ever got bigger. 10 games in and that pressure won't be building yet. But if we're still level with them in another 10 games time then the pressure really does start to build on them that any dropped points could be handing us the league.

What that means is that I think our minimum aim from the next 10 has to be the same points again. We are currently on course for a 99 point season. If the pressure gets to City we may not need that but I think we need to push for it and hope they crumble at some point under the weight of expectation.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #220 on: November 1, 2018, 08:56:43 am »
While what they did last season was spectacular, their mentality was never really tested. At this stage last season they had a 5 point lead at the top which only ever got bigger. 10 games in and that pressure won't be building yet. But if we're still level with them in another 10 games time then the pressure really does start to build on them that any dropped points could be handing us the league.

What that means is that I think our minimum aim from the next 10 has to be the same points again. We are currently on course for a 99 point season. If the pressure gets to City we may not need that but I think we need to push for it and hope they crumble at some point under the weight of expectation.

Their mentality was tested last season in the champions league ....by us.... and they crumbled like their revenue figures would under proper FFP scrutiny

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 1, 2018, 11:42:15 pm »
Me too.

Its the Liverpool Way
Dominance at this stage and also back in 05 against united and Chelsea is/was very unlikely.

I think you are seriously under appreciating the win in Istanbul in what it meant and still means for us as a “big team”. Not saying as a fan you are just that It’s our only internationally recogonised success since we were dominant in England and Europe all those years ago. The manner of the win comes into it also of course. It kept us relevant even with the shite owners we had to endure.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 2, 2018, 02:43:20 am »
Man City are relentless, no two ways about that. So that’s what we have to be if we want to win the title. So far so good. 8 wins and 2 draws, matching them step for step. Our good start is built on a fantastic defence, and in the last couple of games there are good signs the attack is coming to join the party, with 8 goals and 7 of them from the main front three.

The defence is great, the attack is on the way to finding its level, and there’s more to come from the midfield when Fabinho and Keita are fully up to speed. In the meantime, Wijnaldum has been a revelation, and the others have done well too.

I’m not bothered about goal difference in the slightest. One game at a time, and the team is so good we can legitimately be looking to win every game we contest. That will never happen, obviously, but it will be a heck of a ride. I’m loving the season and I’m filled with hope for what we might do.

Game on!

Offline Monkey. D. Luffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #223 on: November 2, 2018, 02:52:57 am »
Tbf, we're looking pretty relentless as well

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 2, 2018, 07:12:24 am »

Agree, it was a stroll last season for them. Not taking anything away, 100 points is an astonishing total, but we were out of the race by October, Chelsea imploded again and United never felt a threat to them.

As suggested above City have had a questionable mentality on the occasions they've really been put under. I'm a bit gutted our chance at Anfield came in the middle of that run of games we had as we were clearly not 100%. Hopefully the likes of Chelsea will give a better account of themselves this season when they play them, having watched them the other night when Spurs did press them, Hazard could have a great time in the game against them at Stamford Bridge in December.

All we can do is continue to collect points for now and turn that pressure gauge up gradually. A convincing win at the Emirates would put the league on notice that we're here for the long haul.

Offline Monkey. D. Luffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #225 on: November 2, 2018, 08:34:21 am »
How good is Phil golden eh

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #226 on: November 2, 2018, 08:38:59 am »
No, Monkey D. Luffy

;)

We’re through the looking glass here people
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #227 on: November 2, 2018, 08:56:17 am »
Has a season ever gone the first ten games with three teams unbeaten?
Can we  hope the CL 'monkey' has a bigger effect on them?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 2, 2018, 08:59:01 am »
Has a season ever gone the first ten games with three teams unbeaten?
Can we  hope the CL 'monkey' has a bigger effect on them?

Not in the Premier League era. Last time was 1990/91 I believe when there was four

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #229 on: November 2, 2018, 09:30:53 am »
Not in the Premier League era. Last time was 1990/91 I believe when there was four

That was when we won our first 5 or 6 and didn’t lose til we played Arsenal in December. Presume they were one of the other unbeaten sides? Who else was there? Not United or Everton as battered both. Going to go out on a limb and say Crystal Palace and a newly promoted Leeds.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 2, 2018, 10:01:39 am »
The title requires we be consistent over at least 38 games.  Probably longer when you share the league with a financial behemoth like Man City, who rarely slip up.  The CL on the other hand only requires you to be consistent over 13 games, albeit against arguably much tougher opposition.

When Liverpool are in Europe we do consistently well (Rodgers aside).  We may not have a boatload of trophies but we regularly make finals. 

Am I saying the CL is easier than the PL?  No.  I am saying if winning the PL was easy we would have done it already.

If we can have both, then I want both.  If I had to choose, I'd choose the title - with a good CL run thrown in.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #231 on: November 2, 2018, 10:23:12 am »
The title requires we be consistent over at least 38 games.  Probably longer when you share the league with a financial behemoth like Man City, who rarely slip up.  The CL on the other hand only requires you to be consistent over 13 games, albeit against arguably much tougher opposition.

When Liverpool are in Europe we do consistently well (Rodgers aside).  We may not have a boatload of trophies but we regularly make finals. 

Am I saying the CL is easier than the PL?  No.  I am saying if winning the PL was easy we would have done it already.

If we can have both, then I want both.  If I had to choose, I'd choose the title - with a good CL run thrown in.

I'd happily get demolished in our remaining 3 CL games and then demolished in the Europa League if it meant we won the title at the end of the season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #232 on: November 2, 2018, 10:29:35 am »
The league is just so much more fun to follow as long as we have a chance to win it. Most seasons in recent years we've had a bad start and basically disqualified ourselves from the title before Christmas. 13/14 had a bitter end but it was a fantastic ride. Fighting for top-4 is not at all the same.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #233 on: November 2, 2018, 10:32:56 am »
Whilst still maintaining that this isn't a title run yet.....

Up until March we can't be more than one "bad" result behind City I reckon. 2 at most...bad being a loss or draw.

City do look fantastic. And they have all the reason to believe they can do it again, but does Pep's intensity grate on a team after a few seasons? Im hoping it does if they do encounter a bad result or two  ;D
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Monkey. D. Luffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #234 on: November 2, 2018, 10:51:54 am »
promoted Leeds.

Leeds United lol. Haven't heard about them in a while

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 2, 2018, 11:08:44 am »
Whilst still maintaining that this isn't a title run yet.....

Up until March we can't be more than one "bad" result behind City I reckon. 2 at most...bad being a loss or draw.

City do look fantastic. And they have all the reason to believe they can do it again, but does Pep's intensity grate on a team after a few seasons? Im hoping it does if they do encounter a bad result or two  ;D

It will be a combination of things.  If teams roll over for City then it's easy points and makes it very hard to challenge them.  We are in the process of having to beat teams into submission because they still fight against us.

That said, I think City are a tad complacent and often feel they only have to turn up to win.  They can be got at, though, if some of the more capable teams would but try.  If we can maintain pressure, through a combination of skill and being hungry for success, then City may start to get nervous.  Then, a couple of poor results for them might swing things in our favour.

We need to prove we can stay the course.  So far the pressure is on us to keep pace; get another five or six good results and that pressure will start to swing in City's direction I think.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 2, 2018, 11:12:14 am »
That was when we won our first 5 or 6 and didn’t lose til we played Arsenal in December. Presume they were one of the other unbeaten sides? Who else was there? Not United or Everton as battered both. Going to go out on a limb and say Crystal Palace and a newly promoted Leeds.

I think it was Palace and Spurs (remember seeing an article last week)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #237 on: November 2, 2018, 11:32:47 am »
It will be a combination of things.  If teams roll over for City then it's easy points and makes it very hard to challenge them.  We are in the process of having to beat teams into submission because they still fight against us.

That said, I think City are a tad complacent and often feel they only have to turn up to win.  They can be got at, though, if some of the more capable teams would but try.  If we can maintain pressure, through a combination of skill and being hungry for success, then City may start to get nervous.  Then, a couple of poor results for them might swing things in our favour.

We need to prove we can stay the course.  So far the pressure is on us to keep pace; get another five or six good results and that pressure will start to swing in City's direction I think.

A combination for sure...

- CL run for them I think is a bit more important....and definitely something that'll effect them this season for better or worse. Let's hope its worse..
- I've only seen them playing a few times. And while they can be got at (particularly against a side that counter well with pace) they are so strong in attack that its never enough usually. they are more clinical, they need a dose of bad luck in a few games and for it to rattle them...and teams need to actually grow a pair and go for it more
- I don't like hearing gary neville speaking as much as some do but one thing I noticed he said the other day is mentioning how Fernandinho gets away with a lot of snide. good. I hope it is highlighted more and picked up on by the obviously-influenced referees of the country
- even if their rate of scoring drops it'll start to weigh down on them and hopefully cause a bit of tension. maybe a draw or two...im yet to see a team really try and kick the shit out of them and for once i actually miss some seasons past whereby teams where just physical and ruffled the feathers, worked against the likes of Arsenal until it became a thing
- something is up with Sane this season, not sure what but he seems a bit more on and off. Sterling's form needs to fuck off. And David Silva needs to start looking old.

Now all of the above you could argue can be applied to us too....but i think we have shown that we can win games in more ways. We have had to dig deeper and grind wins out more often. I just want them to have to face more of these challenges and while that is happening for them to see us have an upturn in form whereby we are battering a few sides. Adds a bit of pressure their way

And Chelsea need to fuck off n all
And we need to keep going

But as you say. Pressure is on us
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #238 on: November 2, 2018, 12:25:06 pm »
Someone told me ManC have had 6 CS on the bounce in the league. That's crazy and show's what we are up against. Teams are not having much joy against them both ways. Ideally away games is where they will lose it, and i'm hoping that more teams will be able to play like Wolves.

But the bottom line is we just need to win our own games, and forget the rest. Work hard at what you can control.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 2, 2018, 12:29:10 pm »
We have to be relentless. I don’t think 90 points will be enough this season. Mid 90’s in my opinion. The problem with chasing City is that many teams write the City game off and save themselves for more winnable fixtures.
We need an almost perfect season. I’m loving seeing us try and do this.