Author Topic: PL: Liverpool (4) Salah 20', Mane 46', 52, S v West Ham (0) 12.08.18 KO 13.30pm.  (Read 52928 times)

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
Yes. He played there against Leicester in the League Cup last year, but besides that I can’t remember playing there for us. He seemed comfortable, which was encouraging.. I’m sure having Van Dijk next to him calmed his nerves too.

Thanks for confirming. A 21 year old in his first PL start at CB - puts the talk of big money signings in some perspective.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Lovren is out for a bit. Klopp confirmed

A big chance for Joe Gomez to stake his claim then.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.

Sounds like a plot from Bonanza...
Better looking than Samie.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Impressive figures for Milner.

🍾Man of the Match, @LFC ‘s James Milner
Most in match in all of these categories
122 touches
Completed 95/102 passes
3 chances created
7 crosses
12.55km distance covered

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great, amazing, superb..
Keita, a revelation!
Milner, work rate incredible, is he a robot?
Allison, supercool and unflappable.
Mo, Firmino, Mane, business as usual :)

Highlight of the match.. Sturridge and that dance, got quite emotional seeing that again.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan

122 touches
Completed 95/102 passes
3 chances created
7 crosses
12.55km distance covered
BOOM!

Veteran James still running!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It is. You know my concerns about our CB position  ;D
Gomez isn't really an accomplished Liverpool player yet never mind a starting centre-back, but he was solid. He tidied up several times, I was impressed (today) :)

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Keita's decision making, when to dribble, the timing and placing of that penetrating pass, love it.

Chuffed for Sturidge.

And, West Ham not a bad team at all.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
It is. You know my concerns about our CB position  ;D
Gomez isn't really an accomplished Liverpool player yet never mind a starting centre-back, but he was solid. He tidied up several times, I was impressed (today) :)

I think he will make a good CB in the end you know. I have heard about your concerns about our CB position.  ;D

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
nice comfortable win

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

122 touches
Completed 95/102 passes
3 chances created
7 crosses
12.55km distance covered
what a trier this lad . is . gives everything :wellin

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Far too good for West Ham. They have strengthened in forward and wide areas, but their back four look leaky. It was good to see Antonio fail to improve on his impressive record as our Kryptonite. Wiltshire spends a lot of time on his ass - he’s a shadow of the player he threatened to be.

TAA is going to be immense for us, but at this moment in time I’d be tempted, particularly against other top 6 teams, to play Millie at right back. Gini would always be in my midfield so it’s a question of Hendo or Fabinho for the sitting role. Keita is a shoe-in.
TAA took out their entire midfield with a pinpoint pass to set Keita on his way for our opening goal. You can count on one hand the number of FBs in world football who can pull off passes like that regularly. He's a difference maker - and to have one of those is an absolutely massive asset in any match where the onus is on us to score. I see your point, and I'm glad we've got the option of Clyne, but TAA has the potential to be one of the world's best in that position.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Brilliant that. I remember so many cagey opening day games over the years, it was great to just blow them away. Keita immediately looked the part and all. Well done red men!

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Andy Robertson in his white boots

Bit tone deaf to the cities culture that

What next? An electric fucking bagpipe?

Flash twat

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Andy Robertson in his white boots

Bit tone deaf to the cities culture that

What next? An electric fucking bagpipe?

Flash twat

Didn't Alan Ball wear white boots when he was at The Ev(TM) too?

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
As comfortable as you would expect from the incumbent league champions

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
Part time baker and Karate instructor tho mate

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Part time baker and Karate instructor tho mate

That explains why his voice was so high

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
That explains why his voice was so high
Cos Chinas pre pubic?

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
TAA took out their entire midfield with a pinpoint pass to set Keita on his way for our opening goal. You can count on one hand the number of FBs in world football who can pull off passes like that regularly. He's a difference maker - and to have one of those is an absolutely massive asset in any match where the onus is on us to score. I see your point, and I'm glad we've got the option of Clyne, but TAA has the potential to be one of the world's best in that position.

He takes our possession game up so many levels

Poor game today but we saw glimpses of his best and that’s a guy not too far off world class

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
Honestly, despite the 4 goals, my highlight of the game was the double crotch-shot on Noble and Wilshere. That had me in stitches. :lmao

That moment and Klopp's double pump "balls of steel" celebration had me going.  It really cracked the boys up at half time.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Online Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
So it begins.

Great performance without getting out of third gear.

Milner was sensational today. Covered every blade of grass. Really liked Gini's display as well.

Can see Mane bagging 25 goals this year. Was unplayable at times.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
One of the reasons I really like Brendan Rodgers' coaching is his emphasis on mobility. "Positionless" attacking is nearly unstoppable when you have good quality technical players to play it.

The past 3 seasons for Klopp has been a slow evolution to the same type of football - not that he didn't want it from the start, but that he didn't have enough players to risk it, because it is a physically demanding way to play, especially with the pressing defence.

Today was a great example of where we're heading, and we weren't even at full pelt. Salah was right side, central, left side, Mane was the same, but also up front and dropped back, Firmino was every where, Milner was right side, left side and central midfield, Keita covered every line on the field, and even TAA was outside and inside the field. The only constants were Robertson, VVD, Gomez and Wijnaldum. Impossible to mark, causes consternation in defence, and the only real solution is to defend deep and stay compact - which entirely nullifies your attack if you have any ambition to play a passing game, like West Ham did.

This season will be a good 'un. I could see us losing less than 5 games in the league.

Robertson looked like a winger out there as well.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
I was almost worried Sturridge was not gonna do his dance after the goal

Saq’s facial reaction to the dance was priceless. :)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well, that was fantastic wasn't it? It's tempting to use the cliche of "we won't play an easier game all season" because we coasted it from start to finish, but we probably will have a few more of those at Anfield. Teams can't live with us when we play at that intensity, and with Keita looking bright, the full backs seemingly stepping up to another level and that lethal front three, as soon as we score one it's going to be curtains for most teams in the league.

It all feels very different for us at the moment. The opening day last season we were repeating many of the same mistakes and the same old frailties seemed to be getting carried over. You can't draw that much from today but on the evidence of the last six months plus the fact that we've all of a sudden got such strength in depth, you just feel total confidence in this team. Van Dijk has changed a lot of that almost single handedly IMO, there is a new found assurance about us which you could see throughout our run in last year.

They say that to become a great team you need to win something, anything, to give the players that final bit of belief to kick on and to get the taste of winning. Man City did it with that League Cup the other year. For us, I wonder if the experience of those huge Champions League nights and getting all the way to the final will be what kicks us on. We feel like one of the big boys again, and everybody knows it. We've not got silverware but we've got a burning desire to be on the right end of those nights in Kiev now and I hope that can drive these players on to the next level.

As for winning the league, it's going to be so tough. Man City are just so good and have even more strength in depth than we do. But we can't and won't be thinking of them. If we win our first 10 games, we'll be top. It doesn't matter what they do. We're going to need some luck on the way with injuries and maybe even the odd refereeing decision or two. If we can keep Sturridge fit then I honestly think that makes an unbelievable difference. We just have to go out and do what we can do, and keep winning. It was the perfect start today and I can't wait for the next game already.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:21:27 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Robertson looked like a winger out there as well.

Yep - but real mobility is lateral, which is why I added TAA, because he had a few occasions where he went into the inside channels without the ball. Very hard to mark.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Just what the doctor ordered today and frankly how I expected it to pan out. Pellegeini’s high line was tailor made for our front 3. I can’t think of any of our players that had a bad game.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Keita's decision making, when to dribble, the timing and placing of that penetrating pass, love it.

Chuffed for Sturidge.

And, West Ham not a bad team at all.
Shittest fanbase in the league though.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham can fuck off with the sign on chants. Wankers the lot of them.

Having the bench that we do [we couldn't even include Moreno,Solanke,Origi,Lovren,Matip,Klavan for instance] will be massive for us once the mid-week fixtures start in September and once we get back from the international break

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
I really hope Sturridge and Shaqiri embrace their roles off the bench this season. Beyond the importance of rotation to avoid injury and fatigue, having players of that quality and fully motivated to run at tired defenders at the end of games will be invaluable to any league ambitions we have this season. 
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
First time I can remember a season opener and us looking like champion material!

All the other times, I felt like "Yes, we can do it! We're the underdog, but we can surprise people.", but today was like "Yes, I can see us doing this. We're champion material!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:44:19 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I really hope Sturridge and Shaqiri embrace their roles off the bench this season. Beyond the importance of rotation to avoid injury and fatigue, having players of that quality and fully motivated to run at tired defenders at the end of games will be invaluable to any league ambitions we have this season.

Yeah, they're awesome super subs.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
A great start to the season.

If the ref had only given us a few more scrums we would had won by more.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Sounds like a plot from Bonanza...

“It’s cowboy time!”
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
Keita is an absolute Rolls Royce of a midfielder - a proper box to box destroyer that will help both our defence and attack this year.

Alisson wasn't really tested but TAA/Robertson were quality, VVD and Gomez solid, Milner was Mr reliable as usual, Wijnaldum was everywhere, and the front 3 scared West Ham's defence to death. Henderson and Shaqiri looked good when they came on, and I'm delighted for Sturridge after all the hard work in pre-season.

Greater tests will come, but its the perfect start. Onwards and upwards
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
There were quite a few factors against us today, a lot of players returned late from the WC, quite a few injuries, starting our 4th or 5th choice CB to partner VVD so really impressed both with the performance and the result, left them without a decent go at Allison and forced Fabianski to make a few decent saves to keep the score respectable. Lovely signs for the rest of the season.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”

Recall a kid in school (the one who had all the latest stuff) got a pair of those Hummel white boots endorsed by Alan Ball despite allegedly being a red.
He put dubbin on them and they turned green.
The rest of the class laughed

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Great start - took our chances well, created loads and moved the ball around really well.

Still a few rusty players  and the rhythm and sharpness isn’t there yet but can’t ask for much more.

Palace away feels like a harder test so into that one next.

Get in!

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
Yep - but real mobility is lateral, which is why I added TAA, because he had a few occasions where he went into the inside channels without the ball. Very hard to mark.

Mendy was at that today for City. Or he'd go wide and Sterling would go in. And then if play shift, Kyle Walker would appear in seconds from being in a back three in the build up to overlapping on the right because whatever other deficiencies he has, he appears to be the fastest fucking man ever at times.

Would you draw a distinction between "positionless play" like Rodgers and the position play of Pep? Or is the former what the latter looks like when it's in full gear? Because although you can see City are playing positionally, they have players whose movement seems unpredictable.