Author Topic: Televising away games at Anfield  (Read 35334 times)

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Televising away games at Anfield
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

I believe the the 1967 FA Cup derby at Goodison was televised at Anfield, it must have been some undertaking to do that.

Was this the first match to be televised that way, or was it a regular occurence then for away matches? Did anyone go? What was it like (as in the experience rather than the match)?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:35:58 pm by Anfieldite »

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
Re: Televising away games at Anfield
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
It was screened at Anfield on a big screen or two- Can't quite remember how many - As only seven at the time. The biggest thing ever that match. People were talking about nothing else from the draw to - well the end of the season. Bragging rights meant something then. The weather was foul all of that week, and one of the screens blew over a couple of days before the match. Liverpool obviously sold tickets to watch it from the terraces.

The technology behind that was massive in those days - Outside broadcast trucks at both Goodison and Anfield. A definite 'one-off' because of the interest the match generated.

I thought it was the end of the World when Alan Ball's miss-hit cross blew straight into the Red's net. The wind was a howler that night! But then I thought the World had ended when we were turned over 5-1 by a Cruyff-inspired Ajax in the Amsterdam fog the season before! I couldn't eat my tea on both occasions - because the results knocked me sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gc7Qco4MDQ

I never got a ticket for the actual game at Goodison or went to the Anfield screening, but my two brothers were at Goodison in the Park End that night. The match was rammed, and the atmosphere really tense. Everton were seen as the slightly better side then. i think Liverpool sold about ten thousand tickets for the big screens. Emotions after losing were raw for years - As the bitters never let you forget about it - That is until the FA Cup Semi of 1971, where we got our revenge big time!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:26:06 am by Eddie »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »
I seem to remember on a video I watched they showed a big screen showing us against Hull. Would have been 80's.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »
It was screened at Anfield on a big screen or two- Can't quite remember how many - As only seven at the time. The biggest thing ever that match. People were talking about nothing else from the draw to - well the end of the season. Bragging rights meant something then. The weather was foul all of that week, and one of the screens blew over a couple of days before the match. Liverpool obviously sold tickets to watch it from the terraces.

The technology behind that was massive in those days - Outside broadcast trucks at both Goodison and Anfield. A definite 'one-off' because of the interest the match generated.

I thought it was the end of the World when Alan Ball's miss-hit cross blew straight into the Red's net. The wind was a howler that night! But then I thought the World had ended when we were turned over 5-1 by a Cruyff-inspired Ajax in the Amsterdam fog the season before! I couldn't eat my tea on both occasions - because the results knocked me sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gc7Qco4MDQ

I never got a ticket for the actual game at Goodison or went to the Anfield screening, but my two brothers were at Goodison in the Park End that night. The match was rammed, and the atmosphere really tense. Everton were seen as the slightly better side then. i think Liverpool sold about ten thousand tickets for the big screens. Emotions after losing were raw for years - As the bitters never let you forget about it - That is until the FA Cup Semi of 1971, where we got our revenge big time!

Nice post Eddie lad.

We were in the park End. Got to say I don't recall Alan ball's shot being a mis-hit cross - more a stroke of genius from a great player. You're right about the heartbreak it induced though. We couldn't speak for days. Ironically, it's the only time Everton have beaten us in a big cup game. Since then there's been at least seven big cup ties and we've won them all including four finals.

As for the attendance for the live screen game I think I'm right in saying there were 64,000 at Goodison and 40,000 at Anfield.

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »
This would be more relevant in the history section but it wouldn't let me post it there.

Anyway, I believe the the 1967 FA Cup derby at Goodison was televised at Anfield, it must have been some undertaking to do that.

Was this the first match to be televised that way, or was it a regular occurence then for away matches? Did anyone go? What was it like (as in the experience rather than the match)?

I may be wrong but it's the only one I can recall.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:48:31 pm »
In 1987 I saw an Anfield League Cup match on the big screen at Goodison.

My recollection of it is a bit vague as I was only young, but I do remember we lost to a Gary Stevens Goal!  Found the below write up of the match which references 30k people watching it at Goodison

http://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspapers/riley/19871028vEverton.pdf

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »
In 1987 I saw an Anfield League Cup match on the big screen at Goodison.

My recollection of it is a bit vague as I was only young, but I do remember we lost to a Gary Stevens Goal!  Found the below write up of the match which references 30k people watching it at Goodison

http://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspapers/riley/19871028vEverton.pdf

Bloodyhell - forgot about that one. Painful.

;D

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »
Bloodyhell - forgot about that one. Painful.

;D

Yep.  Was my first experience of being a Liverpool supporter in the home section of Goodison........not the best!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:54 pm »
Yep.  Was my first experience of being a Liverpool supporter in the home section of Goodison........not the best!

Ouch!

:)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »
I seem to remember on a video I watched they showed a big screen showing us against Hull. Would have been 80's.

Memory a bit fuzzy , but I'm sure I watched that game on a big screen at Tranmere Rovers .It was either Hull or York away .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 02:15:30 pm »
i was just thinking the same thing. video was Team of the decade.

great post mate
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:37:48 pm »
i was just thinking the same thing. video was Team of the decade.
 great post mate

That was it.  Used to love watching that.  It always ended with Glen Hysen - and I wished it would go on for longer :(

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 03:48:17 pm »

I thought it was the end of the World when Alan Ball's miss-hit cross blew straight into the Red's net. The wind was a howler that night!

No mate, it was a f*ckin beaut, I hate to say.  He chipped a ball between Smithy & Yeats then got on the end of it himself to volley it past Lawrence.  He was some player, Alan Ball.

The match was a big event.  I remember queuing for tickets and the queue went all the way down Utting Avenue and around Priory Road...for the televised game, not the 'main event' at Goodison.  There were about 65,000 at the game at Goodison and 40,000 at Anfield.

You're right about the weather, the screens looked like sheets blowing in the wind.  The biggest disappointment - other than the result - was that the game was televised in Black & White!  I honestly expected it to be in colour.
Victorious and glorious....

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 04:18:01 pm »
That was it.  Used to love watching that.  It always ended with Glen Hysen - and I wished it would go on for longer :(
ha ha, our new signing.

was a great video
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »
No mate, it was a f*ckin beaut, I hate to say.  He chipped a ball between Smithy & Yeats then got on the end of it himself to volley it past Lawrence.  He was some player, Alan Ball.

I was a massively-biased 7 year-old. Nowts changed. You and Timbo are right of course - Bally was the bee's knees!
Never thought it was 40,000 at Anfield. Jesus! Shanks was right... football was a religion in those days!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:26:58 pm by Eddie »

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 11:25:20 pm »
I believe the the 1967 FA Cup derby at Goodison was televised at Anfield, it must have been some undertaking to do that.

Here it is - gotta love the commentary  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iCAHS8-3ng4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iCAHS8-3ng4</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:01 pm »

Moved to the History thread.....bit like myself.

Victorious and glorious....

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
Memory a bit fuzzy , but I'm sure I watched that game on a big screen at Tranmere Rovers .It was either Hull or York away .

Yeah, it was Hull away (88/89 I think), I was at Prenton Park myself that day.  I was standing up in the paddock in front of the Main Stand.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 01:12:31 pm »
Millwall showed a live video at The Den of the club's first ever visit to Anfield in the league.  We had played them at Anfield before in 1896 in the Cup and in a friendly in 1904, so it was their first visit in living memory.

Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.