Author Topic: Ryan Kent  (Read 46452 times)

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
Ryan Kent
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:51:06 am »
There were reports today from Pearce that Klopp wants to see Kent in pre-season before he decides whether to loan him or keep him.
For me, he is the best youngster we have better than Woodburn, Wilson or Ejaria.
Klopp will be mighty impressed with the improvement in his game in one year.
He is genuinely a match impacting player now. I think we need to realize the potential we have here is great. Underestimate this guy at your own peril. Redknapp and Rodgers want him, but I think with amount of games we have and his improvement in general, he should be here next season.
Mods please allow this, this guy needs more credit and support from the LFC fan base.

For people who haven't followed him -
https://youtu.be/vNlnSPbQ2HE

One never knows how big a player is going to be. But one more year of improvement like the year he has had, could mean we have a true top class player on our hands.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:00:08 am by Carra-ton »
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Re: Ryan Kent
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:55:54 am »
If he has ever going to have an opportunity then this might well be it. Feels that the stars could align for him given he fits the pacey tricky wide player we were in desperate need for last season and have just spent a fortune on.

We will certainly need more options here and he could be a good impact player if he can show Klopp that he has improved enough

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:04:43 am »
It may come down to a choice between Kent and Ojo - keep one and loan one.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:29 am »
It may come down to a choice between Kent and Ojo - keep one and loan one.
With the collection of forwards below there's certainly gonna be some serious competition for that last spot on the wing!

You'd think that there's only room for one - maybe two - of Kent, Ojo, Woodburn, and Wilson to stick around, as U21 is probably a level (or two) below where they should be playing - except in Woodburn's case as he's still only 17. As for the other 3, there's been plenty of interest from various clubs apparently...

- Birmingham want Kent on loan
- Newcastle interested in Ojo (what a great place that would be for Ojo to develop, being coached by Rafa...)
- Celtic want Wilson as replacement for Patrick Roberts

Whatever the case it figures to be a huge preseason for all these guys, with such fierce competition for places.

Incidentally, up front Ings, Solanke, and probably even Sturridge also have plenty to prove in preseason. That CF position looks quite crowded, and a strong preseason from Ings and/or Solanke might catalyze the sale of Sturridge if an acceptable bid is received.

Mané               Coutinho
Salah                     X
           Firmino
          Sturridge
            Origi
             Ings
          Solanke
          Brewster

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out this summer, reckon Klopp will have a few tough decisions to make in the next couple of months on who to keep around!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:49:02 am »
Would quite like Wilson to go on loan to Celtic for a season, think he'd tear that league up and its still pretty high profile.

Woodburn a season in the U23s playing cup games etc, happy with that.

Think that leaves Kent and Ojo, so should be interesting. Wouldn't be majorly shocked if Ojo is sold ala Ibe, manager doesn't seem to fancy him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:11:45 am »
Would quite like Wilson to go on loan to Celtic for a season, think he'd tear that league up and its still pretty high profile.

Think that leaves Kent and Ojo, so should be interesting. Wouldn't be majorly shocked if Ojo is sold ala Ibe, manager doesn't seem to fancy him.

I'm not sure if Klopp doesn't fancy Ojo, but Kent looks very much like a Klopp type of player. Very driven, fast, good feet, has a great turn, and good defensively, the only issue is that he's just not very prolific at the moment. But he didn't look out of place last preseason, he played quite well when given the opportunity.

I always maintained that if he will be given a chance, that he has a shot for the bench for us.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:30:41 am »
I'm not sure if Klopp doesn't fancy Ojo, but Kent looks very much like a Klopp type of player. Very driven, fast, good feet, has a great turn, and good defensively, the only issue is that he's just not very prolific at the moment. But he didn't look out of place last preseason, he played quite well when given the opportunity.

I always maintained that if he will be given a chance, that he has a shot for the bench for us.

I think Ojo is more of a Klopp type of player than Kent personally, he just needs to improve his workrate. My concern with Kent is that he's more of a winger than a wide forward, like Ibe he tends to do everything from a deeper position and even in his highlights you rarely (if ever?) see him run in behind or across goal for a simple 1 on 1 or tap in. I haven't seen a lot of him beyond highlights throughout the season but what I have seen and his stats back this up.

I see Ojo and Woodburn as the standouts still, though Ojo really needs to get a chance somewhere soon.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
heard good reports of his development in the second tier. Also there was this video of him absolutely roasting his way past 2 players, just class, although his shot was garbage
The change is cast

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
I think Ojo is more of a Klopp type of player than Kent personally, he just needs to improve his workrate. My concern with Kent is that he's more of a winger than a wide forward, like Ibe he tends to do everything from a deeper position and even in his highlights you rarely (if ever?) see him run in behind or across goal for a simple 1 on 1 or tap in. I haven't seen a lot of him beyond highlights throughout the season but what I have seen and his stats back this up.

I see Ojo and Woodburn as the standouts still, though Ojo really needs to get a chance somewhere soon.
I think it is a matter of the one who has the mentality to fight who will become a top player. Gerrard said this a while back, at the very top, everyone is talented. It is the one who is willing to be brave and ride tackles, fight for the second balls, make lung bursting runs late on, is the one who makes it to the very top.
Ojo still seems as if he is waiting for the space to open up before he makes his move, Kent seems that bit more brave when operating in tight spaces.
I read a while back the LFC coaching team were asking Ojo to use his physical attributes and assert himself more.
If Kent shows Klopp he is willing to put himself on the line for the cause, then Kent will be promoted first.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:08 am »
I think it is a matter of the one who has the mentality to fight who will become a top player. Gerrard said this a while back, at the very top, everyone is talented. It is the one who is willing to be brave and ride tackles, fight for the second balls, make lung bursting runs late on, is the one who makes it to the very top.
Ojo still seems as if he is waiting for the space to open up before he makes his move, Kent seems that bit more brave when operating in tight spaces.
I read a while back the LFC coaching team were asking Ojo to use his physical attributes and assert himself more.
If Kent shows Klopp he is willing to put himself on the line for the cause, then Kent will be promoted first.

I appreciate all that but at the same time I think good positioning and movement are as much a talent as anything else and I don't quite see either with Kent. Maybe he'll develop it a bit but Ibe had exactly the same problem back when people were championing him as Sterling 2.0 and he hit a ceiling pretty quickly as a result.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:30:30 am »
I would expect him to go out on loan again this season.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:37 am »

Yep.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:33 pm »
Saw him play last season and he looks a real exciting prospect, I thought 'Arry was interested in taking him to Birmingham.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-ryan-kent-wanted-birmingham-13236614
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:06 pm »

I think he'll be sold with a hefty sell-on fee and a buy back option similar to what we've seen for our other young players we've sold recently. 

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:07:32 pm »
Whenever I have seen him play he has been the standout player for me. Would personally prefer if he was kept ahead of any of the other names mentioned.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:09 pm »
Whenever I have seen him play he has been the standout player for me. Would personally prefer if he was kept ahead of any of the other names mentioned.

I think we've got enough pre season games to see :) will take a few anyway, Wilson didn't exactly shine last game he played but we know he has talent. Can't wait to see some of them get a chance though, some really exciting young players! :)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »
looks like he's got a decent left foot too. Is he too small for fullback?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »
Look a really good prospect and too good for the level he has been playing at, but when given the chance against Exeter last season he was abysmal and came across as very greedy. Obviously the match presented very tricky conditions and he was eager to impress, but I've always thought that match was the reason Klopp never gave him further chances despite persisting with Smith/Randall/Stewart/Chirivella.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »

I disagree with this (but respect that it could go either way at this stage), I just don't think Ojo plays with the intensity Klopp wants.

I really rate Kent, but remember reading somewhere in the Youth thread that Klopp had issues with his movement - something along the lines of him being too predictable and not having that game intelligence to create space for himself.

Wilson is very talented, but I just don't think he can be trusted to receive the ball in his own half and protect it *yet*, whether that be because of his strength (or lack thereof) or decision-making. He may have a higher ceiling than the others, but given his slight frame and lack of 1st-team experience he is more of a risk at this stage.

I personally rate Kent very highly and I think he's the one who is most first-team-ready, there's just the issue with his movement and end product. I would love to see him stick around next season, as I get the impression he'll be the one most chomping at the bit. Ojo and Wilson still need to show something I think, so would benefit from game-time elsewhere.

Not sure if Klopp agrees though. Will be interesting to find out.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:05 pm »
Clubs are already looking at Kent for 6m or so.

Kent is a massive talent who I think will be in and around the first team next season.

Maybe, send Wilson out on loan but keep him & Ojo.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 08:08:11 pm »
Clubs are already looking at Kent for 6m or so.

Kent is a massive talent who I think will be in and around the first team next season.

Maybe, send Wilson out on loan but keep him & Ojo.

Yeah just because he's "greedy" doesn't mean he can't learn.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »

Think it's to do with the fact that Ojo has a habit of coasting through games and Klopp has pulled him up on it.

Kent is probably one of the best youngsters we have on the ball but he's changed a bit over the last two years becoming more of a typical winger instead of the Reus like inside forward. I think he's going he should be going to the prem and not to the championship OR I'd quite happily send Brendan all of Kent, Wilson and Brannagan on buy-back deals to Celtic frankly. Pretty sure he'd turn all three into excellent players in that league.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:11 pm »
Think it's to do with the fact that Ojo has a habit of coasting through games and Klopp has pulled him up on it.

Kent is probably one of the best youngsters we have on the ball but he's changed a bit over the last two years becoming more of a typical winger instead of the Reus like inside forward. I think he's going he should be going to the prem and not to the championship OR I'd quite happily send Brendan all of Kent, Wilson and Brannagan on buy-back deals to Celtic frankly. Pretty sure he'd turn all three into excellent players in that league.

Pointless doing that.

Sorry but Celtic is no place for sending players on loan or to sell too. Such a Micky mouse league.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:38 pm »
Pointless doing that.

Sorry but Celtic is no place for sending players on loan or to sell too. Such a Micky mouse league.

So? It didn't hurt Petrov, Wanyama, Van Dijk and Dembele (and probably a whole host of players I can't be arsed to look up). They'll get to play in a league that's Championship standard as well as Europe under a coach who knows exactly what's good for their development. That's a win-win so far as development goes.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 09:05:25 pm »
Pointless doing that.

Playing at Aberdeen certainly did Danny Ward a world of good.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
Watching the highlight video in the OP makes one wonder how he only managed to get 3 goals and 3 assists in over 3100 minutes of football this season!

Only 6 teams scored more than Barnsley's 64 goals so it's not like he was playing in a weak attacking team either.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-kent/leistungsdaten/spieler/279457/plus/0?saison=ges

Online Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 11:05:50 pm »
Watching the highlight video in the OP makes one wonder how he only managed to get 3 goals and 3 assists in over 3100 minutes of football this season!

Only 6 teams scored more than Barnsley's 64 goals so it's not like he was playing in a weak attacking team either.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-kent/leistungsdaten/spieler/279457/plus/0?saison=ges

His shots per game were very high. Given shooting from distance was one of his strengths in the youths suggests he was shooting from poor positions, so i'm guessing his decision-making needs some work, or the movement of his teammates wasn't all that. But let's not also forget that 3 goals and 3 assists in the championship is not terrible for a 20 year old.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 01:24:59 am »
He looked good, very good at time but I just don't see him becoming elite. Ojo on the other hand looks lazy at times but has that something about him that could lead to him becoming an elite player.

Ojo's loan to Newcastle sounds like a great idea. Rafa, team on the up, should get plenty of game time in the Prem.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:58 am »
His shots per game were very high. Given shooting from distance was one of his strengths in the youths suggests he was shooting from poor positions, so i'm guessing his decision-making needs some work, or the movement of his teammates wasn't all that. But let's not also forget that 3 goals and 3 assists in the championship is not terrible for a 20 year old.
You're right, 3 goals isn't too bad in the championship for a 20 year old. In fact, only 7 players under age 22 bettered him this season (not including strikers).

However, none of those 8 come anywhere near the amount of game time Kent got, so that must still be somewhat of a disappointment.

Incidentally, it's interesting to note how much of a freak Sessegnon is with his 5 league goals - from leftback...

That said, Kent's stats in terms of Key Passes per minute are right up there with the best in the league for u-22 players which is very promising, especially considering that he played many more games than all the others his age listed here. This certainly suggests that his teammates were just poor at finishing the chances he created for them, because you'd really expect more than 3 assists from 67 key passes (1.9 per 90mins)!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:59:09 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 03:26:48 pm »
Seeing as this may well be the default Kent vs Ojo vs Wilson thread... Liverpool have turned down a loan offer from Newcastle for Ojo according to local papers up there.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »
Seeing as this may well be the default Kent vs Ojo vs Wilson thread... Liverpool have turned down a loan offer from Newcastle for Ojo according to local papers up there.

Why would we do that? Loaning him to Newcastle would make perfect sense.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 03:37:11 pm »
Why would we do that? Loaning him to Newcastle would make perfect sense.

Klopp likes to get assurances of playing time doesn't he so may not have had that- guess rather keep him if game time isn't guaranteed

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »
Klopp likes to get assurances of playing time doesn't he so may not have had that- guess rather keep him if game time isn't guaranteed

Even if he doesn't play that many games it'll benefit him a lot more than playing reserve football will. I think he could force his way into their team too; their wingers aren't exactly amazing players.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »
Even if he doesn't play that many games it'll benefit him a lot more than playing reserve football will. I think he could force his way into their team too; their wingers aren't exactly amazing players.

Get what your saying - suppose if enough interest in him rather send him to a smaller club where he'll play 30 games- same way Kent did

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
Get what your saying - suppose if enough interest in him rather send him to a smaller club where he'll play 30 games- same way Kent did

Whatever happens he needs a loan in my opinion. We're seeing way too many players stagnate in the reserves.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
I think it's unlikely that Klopp will send any players out on loan before he's had a look at all his options in preseason.

It also makes sense to wait and see who else Newcastle are going to sign because that might also be a good indication of likely game-time (in the absence of a game-time related contract clause).

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »

No point jumping at the first offer though. Would be a disaster if we sent him packing for a year and then in the last weeks of the window signed an experienced wide player with quality, or a young winger of their own, leaving him with limited game time and no chance of a second loan.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »
No point jumping at the first offer though. Would be a disaster if we sent him packing for a year and then in the last weeks of the window signed an experienced wide player with quality, or a young winger of their own, leaving him with limited game time and no chance of a second loan.

Fair point, I just don't think another season in the reserves will do him any good at all. When the transfer window closes I would like to see Ojo on loan, whether that's Newcastle or another team. I would like to see Gomez go out on loan too.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »
Sell with a buy back then.

The other option is waiting until near the end when hes missed preseason and a chance to impress. There's potential downsides to any loan.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »

Don't really think that's true at all, and the manager I'm pretty sure has said he'd rather have players here learning to play his way than loaning them out if they're not going to play that often.

I personally think something that needs to happen is the U23 league and cup competitions get stronger, and the only way that'll happen is if most of the better youngsters are actually retained. I get there are youngsters like De Bruyne and Lukaku who clearly need first team top flight football, but for the likes of Ojo/Kent/Trent etc I really don't see much value in loaning out to some Championship/League One/League Two side. These clubs really aren't that bothered about helping our kids develop, they're desperate for promotion/survival. So they tend to go with experienced pros rather than a kid who is still learning their trade and more likely to make mistakes whilst doing so.

Newcastle as well, they've still got that Aarons kid haven't they? I don't see any chance, even if its Rafa, that he'd favour our young winger over him when they'll benefit much more if they can get him to first team level.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.