Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1367093 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #2720 on: November 6, 2018, 10:11:09 pm »
Rather play Gomez in his best position next to VVD. Why disrupt the potentially best CB partnership we've had in a long time?

Because Lovren is also good and Gomez is actually better going forward than Clyne. With more defensive solidity, maybe qe can be very attacking in misfield?

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #2721 on: November 6, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »
Rather play Gomez in his best position next to VVD. Why disrupt the potentially best CB partnership we've had in a long time?

It's daft. Lovren is of course very good but we can be even more dominant on the ball with Joe and he's far better at playing through teams than everyone bar Virgil. I do think Trent needs a break from the team, his form hasn't been amazing but at the same time a lot of this comes back to the midfield. Because Mo is the striker in this team he invariably cheats (like Ronaldo did at Real) positionally which means Trent can end up pretty isolated if there isn't anyone making good angles for him to move up the pitch.

If he's fit I'd bring Clyne back in for the time being just to give the lad a break; that's despite me thinking Clyne does have a habit of playing us into trouble.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2722 on: November 6, 2018, 11:00:51 pm »
Been really poor this season. Its Gomez’s position for the forseeable future.

It's not easy coming into a season without a proper pre-season he's still very young he will get more consistent with time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2723 on: November 7, 2018, 12:31:48 am »
It's not easy coming into a season without a proper pre-season he's still very young he will get more consistent with time.

Of course he will and i love Trent, he is fantastic. But he is a young player and i still dont think going to the world cup did him any favours. He needs to sit out the next few weeks as physically he doesnt look right.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2724 on: November 7, 2018, 12:35:52 am »
Of course he will and i love Trent, he is fantastic. But he is a young player and i still dont think going to the world cup did him any favours. He needs to sit out the next few weeks as physically he doesnt look right.

I don't think going to the WC did a number of our players any good to be honest. Which is why these extra interntional breaks are such a pain.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2725 on: November 7, 2018, 12:38:50 am »
I don't think going to the WC did a number of our players any good to be honest. Which is why these extra interntional breaks are such a pain.

And people constantly wonder why we aren't at our best, totally oblivious to the world cup and the already intense fixtures we've had in the last two months. But hey who who needs context.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2726 on: November 7, 2018, 12:40:34 am »
And people constantly wonder why we aren't at our best, totally oblivious to the world cup and the already intense fixtures we've had in the last two months. But hey who who needs context.

To be fair, compared to our rivals, we did well in terms of World Cup players. We had less than most of the sides.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2727 on: November 7, 2018, 04:38:02 am »
Would moving Van to RCB along side him help

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2728 on: November 7, 2018, 04:42:25 am »
There's nowt wrong with him. One of the best young full backs in Europe and part of a great defence. There'll be dips in form but its not like he's suddenly morphed into Titus Bramble. Klopp will manage his game time appropriately

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2729 on: November 7, 2018, 04:57:52 am »
His crossing has been limited to non at all.Whether it is by design or poor form needs to improve drastically. Clyne should start the next game.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2730 on: November 7, 2018, 09:02:57 am »
Just a bit of a dip, especially after being targeted against Arsenal. I'd rather see Clyne come back than move Gomez to right back, though, because Gomez is making a case for being a top class centre-back of the future right now.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2731 on: November 7, 2018, 09:04:49 am »
Just a bit of a dip, especially after being targeted against Arsenal. I'd rather see Clyne come back than move Gomez to right back, though, because Gomez is making a case for being a top class centre-back of the future right now.

Trent would get his right back spot eventually. But Gomez is supreme 1 vs 1 right now and Lovren is pretty good. Gomez also attacks and passes better than Clyne.

Plus by having Gomez there we can some defensive stability which means that maybe our midfielders can be a bit more attacking.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2732 on: November 7, 2018, 09:05:20 am »

Agree with all of this.

It's a dip, he's only just 20 and has played nearly 60 games for us, it was bound to happen.

Plus moving Gomez over would be stupid, imo. He's playing as good as any CB in the league currently and deserves to continue to develop there.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2733 on: November 7, 2018, 10:05:58 am »
Agree with all of this.

It's a dip, he's only just 20 and has played nearly 60 games for us, it was bound to happen.

Plus moving Gomez over would be stupid, imo. He's playing as good as any CB in the league currently and deserves to continue to develop there.
maybe time for Clyne to step in
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2734 on: November 7, 2018, 10:18:17 am »
Agree with all of this.

Whether its Gomez or Clyne, it cannot be Trent playing there for a while. He isnt performing well at all.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2735 on: November 7, 2018, 10:19:59 am »
Whether its Gomez or Clyne, it cannot be Trent playing there for a while. He isnt performing well at all.

Possibly not. I don't think he's the main issue in the side and wouldn't really have any problems allowing him to play himself through this though personally.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2736 on: November 7, 2018, 11:48:01 am »
I am really starting to worry the cat is out of the bag regarding his lack of press resistance. We are seeing a recurring trend of him being pressed and hoofing it up the line into touch/to salah who is then crowded and loses it. I first noticed at Spurs last season. Then again this season. It was most glaring against Napoli. We have now seen it twice this week.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2737 on: November 7, 2018, 12:00:36 pm »
I am really starting to worry the cat is out of the bag regarding his lack of press resistance. We are seeing a recurring trend of him being pressed and hoofing it up the line into touch/to salah who is then crowded and loses it. I first noticed at Spurs last season. Then again this season. It was most glaring against Napoli. We have now seen it twice this week.

I think he's been struggling with a lack of options near him too. He used to play passes inside to a midfielder or someone dropping deep out the front 3, but that, so just tends to smash it down the line as you say
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2738 on: November 7, 2018, 12:24:58 pm »
no harm to take out of the firing line here and there

he has the undoubted ability to be in there week on week but the dangers with that as we have seen with others down the years is burn out early in their career

i shares others opinion that gomez needs to be centre back alongside van dijk for now. if Clyne is fit for sunday id play him, or if not then reluctantly switch gomez to right back and play either degsy or matip
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2739 on: November 7, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »
Think Clyne should be starting again, Trent has been below par recently.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: November 7, 2018, 04:55:42 pm »

The question arises, is this a fundamental problem with the player, a fundamental issues with the coaching, or is this actually an intended behaviour, as instructed by Klopp?

Having watched Trent come through from U18 level, the last thing I'd say about him is that he has a fundamental lack of press resistance.

My personal opinion is that we actually utilise our fullbacks awfully, playing them into situations where they have zero good options, having to either dribble inside or find a pass into the channel.

Our fullbacks are currently playing a non-role in Klopp's system, they are deep and narrow in the build up, playing at times almost where you'd expect a centre half to be, while being deep and wide in the final third, not being allowed to hold the width high and take on the full back, because instead Klopp wants his central midfielders high and narrow, literally in the offensive line at times, but also not allowed to sit narrow and become auxiliary midfielders a-la Pep as you would expect.

Their role currently, is to not give away chances for offensive transitions to the opposition in the build up, and not allow the opposition wingers behind them when we are trying to penetrate.

It's no surprise that two attacking, talented full backs, are playing poorly when expected to play with such limitations.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #2741 on: November 7, 2018, 05:07:36 pm »
It would be unusual if a very young player that came into the first team didn't have a second season dip. Plus he didn't get a full summer off due to the WC.

I remember even Stevie G having this poor form shortly after coming into team, second season I'm sure.

I'm sure others can point to other youngsters who made their debut at 18 for us who had a short term blip. He'll be back better than ever if he is taken out for a spell.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2742 on: November 7, 2018, 05:25:00 pm »
Just part of growing up really. As a young defender with gaps the opposition will target them and it's then up to you to plug them with work on the training ground and in the video analysis room. There are plenty of ups and downs to come with Trent considering he has only been playing full back for a couple of years. Not really worried.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2743 on: November 7, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »
no harm to take out of the firing line here and there

he has the undoubted ability to be in there week on week but the dangers with that as we have seen with others down the years is burn out early in their career

i shares others opinion that gomez needs to be centre back alongside van dijk for now. if Clyne is fit for sunday id play him, or if not then reluctantly switch gomez to right back and play either degsy or matip

Clyne should be good for the weekend, he picked up an illness.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2744 on: November 7, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »
What about Fabinho at right back if TAA needs a rest?
JFT97

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #2745 on: November 7, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »

Pain? I would use much stronger language than that.

But seeing as how you’re a lady...
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #2746 on: November 7, 2018, 07:08:23 pm »
Been really poor this season. Its Gomez’s position for the forseeable future.

Eh ?

Fuck that Gomez is CB now deffo
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #2747 on: November 7, 2018, 07:11:33 pm »

Despite my reluctance to be hard on a young player - particularly as he is far from alone in having a form dip - I think this is fair. The ‘fresh’ players hardly covered themselves in glory last night, but if Clyne is fit he deserves to start against Fulham. I see the argument for bringing Lovren back in and Gomez continuing at RB. However Clyne surely deserves a start?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: November 7, 2018, 07:29:40 pm »
Pain? I would use much stronger language than that.

But seeing as how you’re a lady...

Go ahead, I've used far worse myself.  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2749 on: November 7, 2018, 08:41:49 pm »
Eh ?

Fuck that Gomez is CB now deffo

Who is playing right back?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2750 on: November 7, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »
Who is playing right back?

Clyne. He's back fitness wise, he just got ill. He should be given the opportunity. I rather him than Gomez, Gomez needs to keep playing as CB consistently.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #2751 on: November 7, 2018, 09:33:36 pm »

I think its still down to the shape. We aren't compact this season and when he does end up under pressure, there is almost never an out ball for him so he has to hoof it. That has not been helped with his positional play not being as good this season. He's been far too deep far too often, and some of that has to do with Mo going too central and leaving him alone to mind the entire flank so he has to be careful. I just feel Gomez is far better suited at that role at the minute. I still feel that a 4-2-3-1 where Salah starts central and trent has a different attacker ahead of him helping him would make his life easier and allow him to play with more freedom.

But to your point, given his age, he has had these little periods where he seems to shrink a bit and be too careful, which affects his performance. He's at his best when he plays with confidence and actually gets forward consistently because even though he's gotten better defensively, his biggest tool is still what he offers going forward, and if we dont see that side of him, then Clyne/Gomez might be better suited at RB.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2752 on: November 7, 2018, 10:13:05 pm »
Young players are inconsistent. I am not worried about him at all. I am a little worried about who comes into give him a rest. I love Gomez at CB and want him to stay there. He is a victim of his own success as on current form he is at least our second best RB too.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2753 on: November 7, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »

Lack of support.

I highlighted it last season in a game where he kept knocking it out trying to play it up the line and he signals it when he's struggling himself. You'll notice he looks up for an option, shuffles forward with the ball a little and signals he needs an option, looks up again and if no ones taken note he signals with his arms (both outstretched as if to say give me an option). Only if he STILL isn't offered sufficient support does he end up playing it away.

He's one of our best players when it comes to quick one twos and triangles, he has exceptional technique. At times the ball up the line is by design as Salah goes inside and peels wide taking his marker short before turning and running into the space he's vacated up the line, but sometimes we seem to overdo it and no one shows for Trent in the middle which could also utilise the same trick with Salah just creating a better angle for the pass out to him

Trent is fine, everyone has dips in form.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2754 on: November 7, 2018, 10:50:20 pm »

sometimes we seem to overdo it and no one shows for Trent in the middle which could also utilise the same trick with Salah just creating a better angle for the pass out to him

Trent is fine, everyone has dips in form.

Lack of passing options in the middle is a recurring theme.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2755 on: November 8, 2018, 12:32:58 am »
Lack of passing options in the middle is a recurring theme.

It is but its something we have all the tools to fix immediately, Henderson although he has flaws, he fucking shows for the ball relentlessly, Fabinho loves to do the same, constantly drops to provide an option and create triangles to play around the opposition. In fact Keita is great at it too, he's playing within himself a little at the moment but once he gets gametime he will grow in confidence and excel.

I'd keep Trent in the side and sort things in the midfield

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2756 on: November 8, 2018, 06:25:12 am »
Youngsters can be inconsistent. He will outgrow it. Is Clyne still out of contention? TAA can benefit from a break, and so would Gomez (as RB)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #2757 on: November 11, 2018, 08:35:43 pm »
Youngsters can be inconsistent. He will outgrow it. Is Clyne still out of contention? TAA can benefit from a break, and so would Gomez (as RB)
Was thinking this myself.  Both have played a hell of a lot of football in the last 18 months and it wouldn't do either any harm to have a bit of a break.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #2758 on: November 11, 2018, 08:51:00 pm »
Was thinking this myself.  Both have played a hell of a lot of football in the last 18 months and it wouldn't do either any harm to have a bit of a break.

Trent could definitely do with a break, his delivery in particular seems to have dropped off a cliff this season. Not really sure why Clyne isn't trusted in games like today, unless he's just really struggling to get his fitness to what Klopp deems the required level.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #2759 on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:11 pm »

Is it too late in the day to try Henderson as a right back? Obviously it's an out-there suggestion but it would - in an attacking sense - get Jordan back to the running and one-two'ing that we enjoyed from him a few years back and doesn't disrupt the midfield.