Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370570 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5520 on: June 2, 2022, 08:41:18 pm »
I might if the Arc bass isn’t to my liking and I have to fork out for a Sub on top :D

Sonos are bringing out a cheaper sub soon.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5521 on: June 2, 2022, 08:50:52 pm »
Yep heard about that, but to be honest I think the Arc on its own is a really really good sound, and so it should be at the price!

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5522 on: June 23, 2022, 09:29:06 pm »
Is this the C1 mentioned above: OLED48C14LB

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled48c14lb-2021-oled-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-48-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-dolby-atmos-black/p5404107

Finally got round to buying this today just waiting on delivery. Looks like LG tellys all got 10% off plus Costco had additional discounts on top of that so got 48” for just over £800

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5523 on: June 25, 2022, 12:17:38 pm »
Got the 55" OLED55C14LB ordered

Man never going Samsung again. Old one just died, but I use Samsung monitors for work - crappy stands ruin it. One stand broke and the monitor fell face forward, the IT dude setting it up wasn't happy!

Stand on my (now old) telly is the same. Plastic weak crap.

I'm done with Samsung. They compromise and cut corners. At every price point.

Sooo let's give LG a try. I am a games developer so that's my excuse for this model  :D

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5524 on: June 25, 2022, 09:45:07 pm »
Got the 55" OLED55C14LB ordered

Man never going Samsung again. Old one just died, but I use Samsung monitors for work - crappy stands ruin it. One stand broke and the monitor fell face forward, the IT dude setting it up wasn't happy!

Stand on my (now old) telly is the same. Plastic weak crap.

I'm done with Samsung. They compromise and cut corners. At every price point.

Sooo let's give LG a try. I am a games developer so that's my excuse for this model  :D

The Samsung Neo QLED TVs are amazing.  I just got the Samsung 55" QN94 after owning Sony for years.  The Quality on these TV's is far superior to the older Samsungs and also makes the current Sony range of TV's cheap looking.  I was on the fence between the Neo QLED or go down the LG/Sony OLED route, both have a fantastic picture and the C1 picture is stunning as long as your room isn't bright.  Only thing that put me off the OLED was seeing screen burn on a friends 18 month old OLED  :o

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5525 on: June 26, 2022, 06:19:02 am »
Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision though. Find that incredibly annoying since a lot of shows and movies (both streaming and 4k discs) have DV support
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5526 on: June 26, 2022, 04:00:46 pm »
Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision though. Find that incredibly annoying since a lot of shows and movies (both streaming and 4k discs) have DV support

The average person won’t be able to tell the difference between DV and HDR10+. What Hi-Fi did a comparison of several films in DV and HDR10+ and neither format came out the clear winner, depending on the film the results varied as to which format was better. On paper DV is the better one, but in the real world it’s much closer than you would expect.

DV supports a peak brightness of 10,000 Nits, HDR is 4,000 Nits, but the LG C1 peaks out at about 750 nits, whereas the Samsung Neo QLEDs are a lot higher.  This means Samsung Neo QLED TVs are capable of delivering color and brightness levels beyond those possible from a Dolby Vision TV. The LG OLED TV is a great TV, but not if it’s in a light room. If you watch DV content on an LG OLED during the daytime in a light room then you’re going to be pretty disappointed.

There’s still a lot of content that isn’t delivered in DV, but anything that is will be delivered in HDR10 on a non DV TV. DV is marketed very well, but in the real world you’re not able to get the full experience of DV on the majority of TV’s that actually support DV.

It’s like these sound bars that support Dolby Atmos, it might support it, but you’re not actually getting a true Dolby Atmos experience, it’s all down to the clever marketing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:40:51 pm by jonnypb »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5527 on: June 26, 2022, 05:42:16 pm »
True, but for me personally I like that the Series X supports it for gaming too. It would've been it "normal" HRD10 otherwise. I'm sure if I was asked to pick I wouldn't be able to differentiate either tbf

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5528 on: June 26, 2022, 06:42:19 pm »
True, but for me personally I like that the Series X supports it for gaming too. It would've been it "normal" HRD10 otherwise. I'm sure if I was asked to pick I wouldn't be able to differentiate either tbf

It would be nice if all the different manufacturers standardised on one thing. HDR10 has the advantage that there is more content available and every 4K TV supports it. But then you have HDR10+ which is supported by the likes of Samsung and a few others and then you have DV which is supported by LG and several others. HDR10+ and DV are both extremely good and a step up from HDR10, both have their pros and cons against each other. I suspect that if Dolby Vision didn’t have the financial licensing costs for manufacturers then that would have been the adopted standard by all.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5529 on: June 27, 2022, 05:46:38 am »
Yeah I don't know why Dobly just doesn't bundle it with Atmos

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5530 on: June 27, 2022, 04:05:49 pm »
It’s a very cynical ploy from the tv makers not to include all the things you want on a tv. Don’t think there’s one out there with all the Dolby stuff plus 4 hdmi 2.1 ports etc as it keeps you buying the one with most of what you want hoping that next time there will be one that includes everything
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5531 on: June 27, 2022, 04:27:26 pm »

Don’t think there’s one out there with all the Dolby stuff plus 4 hdmi 2.1 ports

C1  8)

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5532 on: June 27, 2022, 04:34:15 pm »

C1  8)
Fair play to them then.

Edit: I’ve just noticed LG don’t include HDR10+ though, so my point still stands.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:41:01 pm by duvva »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5533 on: June 27, 2022, 04:44:36 pm »
Sony and LG have Dolby Vision, Samsung has HDR10+. Not sure about all the other smaller players though. But yeah you're never going to have one TV that supports both. Like HD-DVD and Blu-ray all over again

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5534 on: June 27, 2022, 05:45:37 pm »
I thought HDR10+ was pretty dead now?

Panasonic OLEDs do support both I think though if that is important to you.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5535 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:01 pm »

I love my Panasonics. Had one of their last Plasmas which i replaced with the FX802 about 3 and a half years ago. I think it has just HDR10+ as was before they started providing DV as well which is on their more recent models I believe. I suppose my main bugbear is usually most of these tv’s don’t come with 4 full fat hdmi ports rather than 1 or 2. And yes it comes down to what’s important to you.

Sure i read Panasonic are possibly going to outsource production on their TVs in future so may have to look elsewhere next time

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5536 on: June 27, 2022, 10:13:47 pm »

No not really, I think Amazon prime do a lot of their stuff in HDR10+

At the end I wouldn’t make the decision to buy a TV whether it has DV or HDR10+, unless certain gaming consoles require it, but I’m not a gamer so that’s not important to me.  What’s more important is how the TV processes HDR10 content as that is the base layer, HDR10+ and DV are kinda like the extra icing on top of the cake.

I was torn between the LG C1 and Samsung QN94. I narrowed it down to these 2 TV’s because of things such as build quality, PQ, HDR capabilities, not because one had DV and the other had HDR10+. The Samsung swung it for me because it handles HDR content a lot better in a bright room as its peak nits are a lot higher than the LG, plus there’s no risk of screenburn. The LG was the better TV for a dark room, especially as it has no blooming, but it’s a bit of a disappointment if you have it in a light room when you compare it against the QN94.

I’ve watched quite a bit of HDR content on it now and never thought I need a TV with DV and I’m missing out. The same could be said for someone with DV, they’d say they’d never need a TV with HDR10+ (Unless like I said earlier a particular gaming console works better with one or the other)

No matter which format you have, you'll have a great viewing experience.  Plus lets not forget that there isn't a TV out there yet that can make full use of the dolby vision specs.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:05:58 pm by jonnypb »

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5537 on: July 6, 2022, 03:31:14 am »
I love my Panasonics. Had one of their last Plasmas which i replaced with the FX802 about 3 and a half years ago. I think it has just HDR10+ as was before they started providing DV as well which is on their more recent models I believe. I suppose my main bugbear is usually most of these tv’s don’t come with 4 full fat hdmi ports rather than 1 or 2. And yes it comes down to what’s important to you.

Sure i read Panasonic are possibly going to outsource production on their TVs in future so may have to look elsewhere next time

Just saw a Panasonic 55″ OLED 4K TH-55HZ1000M brand new for 746 US dollars today and bought it immediately. Still can't believe I found it at this price usually OLED TVs where I live are very expensive

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5538 on: July 7, 2022, 01:13:57 am »
Just saw a Panasonic 55″ OLED 4K TH-55HZ1000M brand new for 746 US dollars today and bought it immediately. Still can't believe I found it at this price usually OLED TVs where I live are very expensive
Thats an unreal price. Fair play.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5539 on: July 7, 2022, 08:05:39 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-QLED-QE50QN90A-2000-Smart/dp/B09441G39C?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=whathifi-gb-4593512217842178600-21&geniuslink=true

2021 Samsung NeoQLED 50inch for £589 on amazon.  I almost bought one of these for near twice that price last year!

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5540 on: July 7, 2022, 11:39:25 pm »
Thats an unreal price. Fair play.

Thank you. Got lucky and hopefully the prices go down in the future or other technologies improve so we can get perfect blacks like what Oled TVs offer because once you try one you can't go back to VA or IPS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-QLED-QE50QN90A-2000-Smart/dp/B09441G39C?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=whathifi-gb-4593512217842178600-21&geniuslink=true

2021 Samsung NeoQLED 50inch for £589 on amazon.  I almost bought one of these for near twice that price last year!

I have a rule with Samsung products, always wait a year or two and the prices will drop massively. Not only TVs, their A52s 5G phone now is around 266 US dollars which is one the most value for money phone you can get.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5541 on: July 8, 2022, 09:00:22 am »
If you get a Samsung mount it, stands are useless and will in time break.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #5542 on: July 8, 2022, 11:18:57 am »

Really?  had 2 Samsungs in our house for quite some time now and both are fine on their respective stands.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5543 on: July 8, 2022, 12:17:01 pm »

Really?  had 2 Samsungs in our house for quite some time now and both are fine on their respective stands.

Maybe the entry level models, or ones from years ago.  I got the Samsung 55QN94 and the stand is solid, it's made out of some type of steel.  Another reason why I went for this one over Sony and their flimsily stands on the likes of the X90J's

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5544 on: September 14, 2022, 11:02:33 am »
Is OLED worth the premium over QLED?

Our TV shop stocks the LG and Sony. Like for like, Sony is about £400 more. Is it worth paying the extra for a Sony? We've had one for about 11 years and its now showing its age a bit, but £400 is a big hike from a similar spec LG.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5545 on: September 14, 2022, 12:13:51 pm »
Is OLED worth the premium over QLED?

Our TV shop stocks the LG and Sony. Like for like, Sony is about £400 more. Is it worth paying the extra for a Sony? We've had one for about 11 years and its now showing its age a bit, but £400 is a big hike from a similar spec LG.

Lots of debates over OLED v QLED.  Both are great and both have their advantages and disadvantages.  A lot depends on the environment of where the TV will be.  If it's a dark room then OLED or QLED, but if it's a bright room then QLED purely because QLED screens can get a lot brighter if needs be.  I went down the Samsung QLED route and couldn't be happier with it to be honest.  Some friends have got the LG OLED and that's great as well, but it does fall down slightly when watching it through the day as they have a very bright room and OLEDs can only get so bright which isn't anywhere near as good as the QLEDS.

Now is a bad time to be buying TV's as the 2022 models have only been out a few months so still quite expensive.  I would wait until black friday as between nov-feb is when the prices really drop on the current crop of TVs.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5546 on: September 14, 2022, 12:42:32 pm »
^ Thanks for the opinion and the advice on best time to buy.

Both rooms where we would put the new telly can get afternoon sun which would push me more towards QLED. That said, we watch most telly in when its dark outside. It's only really the footy that may be on when there sun shining through the windows, and to be honest I'm watching less and less footy on telly.

What's your view on realistic changes in price? 48" LG OLED was 1100 in our local indy - which was the same as John Lewis. What do you reckon the savings could be by holding off for 8 weeks or so?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5547 on: September 14, 2022, 02:38:56 pm »
^ Thanks for the opinion and the advice on best time to buy.

Both rooms where we would put the new telly can get afternoon sun which would push me more towards QLED. That said, we watch most telly in when its dark outside. It's only really the footy that may be on when there sun shining through the windows, and to be honest I'm watching less and less footy on telly.

What's your view on realistic changes in price? 48" LG OLED was 1100 in our local indy - which was the same as John Lewis. What do you reckon the savings could be by holding off for 8 weeks or so?

If that's for the C2 then prices have already taken quite a drop tbf, so probably not gonna save a great deal in that time frame, you'll see more of a difference in the next 4 months or so. 

The LG was actually the other TV that I was considering but the C1 which was the 2021 model.  I think the C1 and C2 have similar pricing as in the C1 was a similar price to what the C2 was when that was released, so it'll probably follow a similar pricing trend.  I remember looking at the LG C2 when I picked my TV up and I'm sure it was £1900 for the 55" at the time, a quick google shows that it's £1300ish now.  When I was ready to buy a TV the LG C1 55" had dropped to £800-850 so would expect the C2 to do the same, but probably not for another 4 months or so.  Also there wasn't really much price difference between the 48" and 55" C1 version of the LG at the time either, so if you can go bigger then go 55"

The other benefit of the C2 is that it has the newer EVO panel which is supposed to last longer and greatly reduces the chance of screenburn.  The EVO panel was put in some of the latter C1 models, but it ended up being a bit of a lottery as to what panel you got which is why I went for the QLED as it was mainly the non-evo panels that produced the screenburn.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5548 on: September 14, 2022, 03:27:20 pm »
Again thank you for that.

Yep, its the C2. Unfortunately the place we put the telly is limited and just a bit narrow for the 55. Agree with you though, the marginal cost for a bigger screen isn't that much - its about a ton to go from a 42 to a 48.

If a drop to the 850 mark is realistic in a few months then its worth it for £250. We've got TVs and aren't overly arsed about having the latest stuff.

Didn't know about the C2 and reduced screenburn so thanks again and its another tick in the box for that model.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5549 on: September 14, 2022, 08:12:10 pm »
If that's for the C2 then prices have already taken quite a drop tbf, so probably not gonna save a great deal in that time frame, you'll see more of a difference in the next 4 months or so. 

The LG was actually the other TV that I was considering but the C1 which was the 2021 model.  I think the C1 and C2 have similar pricing as in the C1 was a similar price to what the C2 was when that was released, so it'll probably follow a similar pricing trend.  I remember looking at the LG C2 when I picked my TV up and I'm sure it was £1900 for the 55" at the time, a quick google shows that it's £1300ish now.  When I was ready to buy a TV the LG C1 55" had dropped to £800-850 so would expect the C2 to do the same, but probably not for another 4 months or so.  Also there wasn't really much price difference between the 48" and 55" C1 version of the LG at the time either, so if you can go bigger then go 55"

The other benefit of the C2 is that it has the newer EVO panel which is supposed to last longer and greatly reduces the chance of screenburn.  The EVO panel was put in some of the latter C1 models, but it ended up being a bit of a lottery as to what panel you got which is why I went for the QLED as it was mainly the non-evo panels that produced the screenburn.

To add to your point, the evo panels get brighter too.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5550 on: September 18, 2022, 06:59:33 pm »
House extension finally done so the LG A1 is up at last. Couldn’t justify stretching the extra for the c1 as I’d already gone above the budget set by the other half ;D

Anyone else got one or another Lg oled and recommend any settings for the best picture? It’s mainly used for watching sports, playing fifa and the occasional movie. Picture is already obviously brilliant but just wondering if there are any tweaks that can be done.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5551 on: September 18, 2022, 08:26:56 pm »
House extension finally done so the LG A1 is up at last. Couldn’t justify stretching the extra for the c1 as I’d already gone above the budget set by the other half ;D

Anyone else got one or another Lg oled and recommend any settings for the best picture? It’s mainly used for watching sports, playing fifa and the occasional movie. Picture is already obviously brilliant but just wondering if there are any tweaks that can be done.

I tend to use the settings from rtings and then tweak to my preference.

Some here for the LG A1

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/a1-oled/settings

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5552 on: September 19, 2022, 07:50:35 am »

Just make sure motion blur is turned off

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5553 on: September 28, 2022, 11:57:57 am »

I was planning on waiting, but given current inflation and what's happened with the currency I'm more concerned about prices going up than down. I know I'm talking macro economics rather than tellys butdo you have a view?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5554 on: September 28, 2022, 02:56:36 pm »
I was planning on waiting, but given current inflation and what's happened with the currency I'm more concerned about prices going up than down. I know I'm talking macro economics rather than tellys butdo you have a view?

This years TV's have already come down in price and if they follow the same trend then there will be better offers round November and then further drops early next year when the 2023 models are announced.  If you're in no rush for a TV then personally I'd hold off, but if you need a new TV and have the money then go for it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5555 on: September 28, 2022, 03:25:25 pm »
Cheers Jonny.
I dunno. I think I'll just ask Mrs A. Although she'd buy one today. Should have seen her fact drop when I said to hold off a month or so coz we could save a couple of hundred quid  :D. Really appreciate your help on this, I was a bit overwhelmed before this forum.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5556 on: September 28, 2022, 05:15:00 pm »
Cheers Jonny.
I dunno. I think I'll just ask Mrs A. Although she'd buy one today. Should have seen her fact drop when I said to hold off a month or so coz we could save a couple of hundred quid  :D. Really appreciate your help on this, I was a bit overwhelmed before this forum.

Best thing to do is you have a specific TV in mind is to setup an alert on the hotukdeals site, so if there is a good deal on that TV then the likelihood is that someone will post a deal on the site and you'll get notified of it.  Might not be much of a change in prices between now and black friday but you never know what offers retailers will put on and it can very between TV models, for example Samsung had some great cashback offers on last year for their TV's.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5557 on: October 4, 2022, 05:44:22 pm »
Cheers Jonny.
Don’t know if you’re looking for a soundbar but they’re offering a £400 LG one for free with certain LG TVs at Curry’s at the moment. Think it’s the C2 but may only be the larger models. The 48 inch is now £1100 with them but they’re only offering 50% off the soundbar with that model
« Last Edit: October 4, 2022, 05:46:18 pm by duvva »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5558 on: October 7, 2022, 10:52:38 am »
Don’t know if you’re looking for a soundbar but they’re offering a £400 LG one for free with certain LG TVs at Curry’s at the moment. Think it’s the C2 but may only be the larger models. The 48 inch is now £1100 with them but they’re only offering 50% off the soundbar with that model
Just seen this - cheers will have a look.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5559 on: October 11, 2022, 08:35:11 am »
Amazon prime sale on now. Usually good for a tv deal (or even better, to get a price match from Richer sounds)