Author Topic: Hayfever  (Read 41972 times)

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
Re: Hayfever
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 06:12:34 pm »
Tried loads of different tablets for my hay fever.

Tried Clarytin, Neo clarytin, Semprex which was working well but they stopped producing it for some reason.  Currently on Xyzal, its not been bad not as good as the semprex like.

Thinking of having the injection for next year but if its not successful for you your not allowed to take any tablets for that current year so im not to sure what to do yet, if the injection didnt work it would be one hellish summer!
PSN:lr3487

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »
with all you buggars out there mowing lawns i'm sure it wont be long before hayfever gets me.

anyone tried and tested any new hayfever products since 2005 and would recomend anything?

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 06:02:02 pm »
I used to have hay fever and one summer it never came I haven't had it for 2 years now.

Happy as fuck

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 06:02:43 pm »
Hayfever is a c*nt.

Mine isn't as bad as it used to be and I'm hoping it will stay that way.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 06:08:18 pm »
Also Claratyn is fucking shite might as well use cheese or something.

My GP said I might have got the hay fever because I'm black and it is because of the lack of trees in Africa ???. Even though I have lived in Europe for 16 1/2 years of my life 17 year long life. I never thought anything about it at the time but that is not on.

Also go to a hot country and swim my grand mother said that it is a good cure, but she is most probably chatting shit

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 06:13:57 pm »
Clarityn does the job for me :wave

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 07:36:49 pm »
I use lotaridine (or however you spell it).  Thought my hayfever may kick in today with the hot weather but so far it hasn't
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 07:50:46 pm »
with all you buggars out there mowing lawns i'm sure it wont be long before hayfever gets me.

anyone tried and tested any new hayfever products since 2005 and would recomend anything?

I used to react badly to pollen- hate hayfever. But after years of trying prescribed tablets and Piriton I started using Benadryl a couple of years ago. It works brilliantly; I'll never look back. That's the one I'd recommend.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 07:52:26 pm »
Clarityn is good alrite and Beconase spray is good to.
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 08:04:07 pm »
Been particularly bad for the last week, I look like I've been crying all the time  :'(

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 08:05:29 pm »
Been particularly bad for the last week, I look like I've been crying all the time  :'(

Have a glance at the post-match thread and you won't 'look like' you are.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 08:09:44 pm »
Hayfever is a c*nt.

Mine isn't as bad as it used to be and I'm hoping it will stay that way.

ditto. It's fucking annoying when it does pop up though.
Watch your back.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2007, 08:12:56 pm »
Birch pollen season started very early this year, I'd imagine the grass pollen season is still ahead of us.

Oh joy

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2007, 09:43:33 pm »
It has started early this year and its fucking annoying.

My nose is forever blocked.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2007, 09:47:01 pm »
Hayfever is the devil incarnate. I hate it - I had it so bad last year, tried to stay away from the antihistamines for as long as I could but gave in eventually.

Has anybody tried any herbal remedies for it?
JFT97

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2007, 11:21:42 pm »
Hayfever is the devil incarnate. I hate it - I had it so bad last year, tried to stay away from the antihistamines for as long as I could but gave in eventually.

Has anybody tried any herbal remedies for it?

My mate gave me some random white tablet things that his dad got him from a mate... but they just tasted of sugar, and did they fuck work!  :D

Benadryl is the messiah...  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline kopbird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 11:57:35 pm »
My little lad gets it really bad but he can't take anything for it cos it will interfere with his warfain therapy, so can anyone recommend anything to help in the way of natural remedies/ prevention. I have asked the doctor and her really helpful advice was to stock up on tissues!

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2007, 12:28:15 am »
You can try smothering your nostrils in Vaseline, which catches pollen as you breath in.  Not an absolute remedy, but can help a bit.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 01:29:38 am »
You can try smothering your nostrils in Vaseline, which catches pollen as you breath in.  Not an absolute remedy, but can help a bit.

Yeah my mum used to do it for me when I was little.

Used to work like a charm

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2007, 01:55:20 am »
Mine started quite mildly this year but no doubt will pick up when I start playing cricket again. Hoping clarityn will do the usual trick ;)
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 02:14:49 am »
normally my eyes feel like someones sprayed a few cans of pepper spray in them, and my nose is firmly closed. not been bad for the past few years but felt a bit itchy today.

fucking load of shite, it is.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2007, 02:22:15 am »
Take the advice that I was given by my doctor:

"If it doesn't have any side-effects, it ain't gonna work". Basically take the strongest stuff there is going, the sort of stuff whose side effects include 'vomiting, blindness and death' and you might just lose the sniffles.

Failing that get some drowsy ones, knock a couple back with a nice cold lager, and drift off to sleep. Got some good ones from the states, which are cheap as chips, but really knock me out! Unfortunately can't take them in the mornings mostly as I'd fall asleep at work! :)

Hay fever is indeed a bitch, and when I'm rich and famous I'm going to pump loads of money into hay-fever research because it's the biggest pain in the arse going!

edit oh yeah, and you lucky bastard for it only starting yesterday. mine's been going since late March! :no

Personally wouldn't advise anyone to mix medication with alcohol to be honest.
Watch your back.

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2007, 07:02:20 am »
tree and grass pollen gets me have to take medication from beginning of march until october

hate it.  It increases your appetite aswell and you'll pile on the pounds - you can counter this by eating apples though

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2007, 10:38:41 am »
i was on most of the things mentioned and in the end one called Fexofenadine (not sure if thats spelt correct) hass knocked it on the head for me...great tablets...one a day :)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2007, 01:27:13 pm »
My little lad gets it really bad but he can't take anything for it cos it will interfere with his warfain therapy, so can anyone recommend anything to help in the way of natural remedies/ prevention. I have asked the doctor and her really helpful advice was to stock up on tissues!

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but someone where I worked last year recommended I try and find a local-ish farm that produces honey. Her argument was to try and build up my immune system with the honey. Not sure how much science is behind her theory, but I might try it this year if I get bad.

I've got exams starting in May, it's horrible trying to sit an exam with a runny nose and itchy eyes.
JFT97

Offline kopbird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2007, 01:37:58 pm »
I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but someone where I worked last year recommended I try and find a local-ish farm that produces honey. Her argument was to try and build up my immune system with the honey. Not sure how much science is behind her theory, but I might try it this year if I get bad.

I've got exams starting in May, it's horrible trying to sit an exam with a runny nose and itchy eyes.

Now that sounds like it could be worth looking into, thanks Ginkop also thanks to those that suggested vaseline round the nostrils will give that a whirl too.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2007, 01:51:16 pm »
i've found that chewing gum for what ever reason helps me.....

always get that itchy feeling of pollen in the back of my throat and then the runny nose, watery eyes starts up....however when i started chewing gum before going out i found the itchy feeling was considerably reduced and my hayfever was much better. dunno if it was some mind over matter trick i was playing on myself or whether i was practising a different breathing technique by chewing gum  - i dunno but it did help.

i did hear about the honey thing too.

however if your not short of a bob or two you could try this device.
http://www.anhealth.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?id=medi1&x=72&y=16

i think i'll give benadryl a try this summer. i hear that hayfever peaks in your twenties and then reduces as you get older.

very strange.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:03 pm »
Tablets never did anything for me

Now i always use Opticrom drops for my eyes, and Beconase for my nose, both work brilliantly

also from June through to August i have Hayfever induced Asthma, which i have an inhaler for, works good too, without all these chemicals running through my body the summer would be a complete nightmare for me!

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2007, 02:18:41 pm »
I've just finished the course of desensitisation injections at the hospital. Basically, every week during the winter/spring months, they inject you with a pollen mix that goes up in concentration each week, so that your body gradually builds up immunity instead of having a complete meltdown when it first comes into contact with pollen in the summer.

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2007, 02:25:58 pm »

Butterburr extract might provide some relief. You can get it from health food shops. You should still check with your doctor though whether it would be safe to take with warfarin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1764339.stm
http://www.clinicalanswers.nhs.uk/index.cfm?question=2769

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007, 04:23:31 pm »
best thing I've found is the superdrug own brand tablets - tey do two types, with different ingredients, but the ones in the white and blue box really do the trick.

FAR better than Beconase, Clayritin etc.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2007, 05:20:25 pm »

I think the honey from local sources has a similar effect to this:

I've just finished the course of desensitisation injections at the hospital. Basically, every week during the winter/spring months, they inject you with a pollen mix that goes up in concentration each week, so that your body gradually builds up immunity instead of having a complete meltdown when it first comes into contact with pollen in the summer.

Don't know how effective it is compared to injections and stuff though.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2007, 05:50:06 pm »
I seem to be growing out of mine, thank f***ing god!

Zirtek, one a day in the evening. It works.

Same here, I used to get it really badly, but now it seems much milder, if I get it at all. I still take a daily Zirtek every day from April to September though, as it works better for me than all the others. If I have extreme allergies, I also tend to keep a supplky of Phenergan close by, which knocks you out but completely takes away the allergic reaction.

Never buy the branded Zirtek though - get Cetirizine Hydrochloride from your local chemist for about a tenth of the price, and it is the exact same stuff.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:51:59 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Jo jo

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2007, 06:07:21 pm »
Hey you poor guys all getting hayfever so early in the season.  I manage to be ok through the tree pollen season but the grass pollen gets me with a vengence from about mid may through to august.  I keep trying different tablets.  For at least it seems that my body becomes used to one particuar type, so one tablet that worked for me one year doesn't the next.  My current method, and hopefully the one which should see me through this year too, is to take 1 1-a-day and also take the ones you take every couple of hours.  This seems to keep control of it from two angles.  If I just use one of either of the tablets, I get hayfever, but this way, I'm doped up and pretty much free of it.  I hate it first thing in the morning, when you are sneezing so rapidly that you don't have time to even blow your nose before the next sneeze is coming. 

I never used to have hayfever when I was a kid, but as soon as hit puberty, I got it.  I'm hoping to grow out of it, but I'm doubting it much.

Oh yeah, not sure if it's been mentioned, I used to have the intramuscular injections (ie, in your butt) once a season, but my doctor surgery stopped giving them as they are a steroid and can also give atrophy of the fat at the injection site.  I don't care, will just blend in with all the other dimples on my arse!!!!  lol.  Wish they still did them though.  They were great.  Didn't have to worry about hayfever at all.

Oh yeah, and the bloke who's missus said about it can't be as bad as period pain.  She is wrong, I agree, but bad hayfever day and bad period pain, now that's crap!  ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2007, 06:19:05 pm »
Anyone whos had the injections, how have you found it, worth trying?

Had a terrible runny nose past few days and the old eyes are starting to itch, taking xyzal or something at the moment.
PSN:lr3487

Offline Jo jo

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2007, 06:21:10 pm »
Anyone whos had the injections, how have you found it, worth trying?

Had a terrible runny nose past few days and the old eyes are starting to itch, taking xyzal or something at the moment.

the injections, in my opinion, were great.  This was a long time ago though.  like i said above, my surgery has stopped them.  I used to have to carry a card around so if I was involved in an accident I wouldn't be given medication that would interfer with it.  I've heard people can still get injections, so unless they've changed the type of drug it is, I don't know.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2007, 06:25:01 pm »
My hayfever is just starting to kick in. Isn't as bad as last year - hopefully won't get that bad either.

Last year I got a nasal spray from the Doctor, it was brilliant. Completely sorted out the stuffy nose - can't remember what it was called though and I've changed doctors now.
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2007, 06:38:41 pm »
Don't know how effective it is compared to injections and stuff though.

Desensitising injections are used in severe cases or as a last resort other treatments eg. anti-histamines haven't been effective enough. You can get different types of injections. At Sheffield Hospital, I did a 4 week short course last year of something called Pollinex which is a allegoid solution (ie man made) which helps but isn't quite as effective as the proper several month long course of real pollens which I had over the winter/spring this year. It's highly monitored - blood pressure, peak flow rates for breathing etc because of the risk of an adverse reaction, a bit like those people that collapse when they get stung by a bee or have an allergic reaction to peanuts. This is my first hayfever season with these injections, so it's too early yet to say whether they have been effective. Ask me again in June!

The injection that JoJo talks about is something completely different - its injecting a steriod - and you can get them in tablet form as well. They're not used very often any more because of the risk of side effects - they suppress cortisol in your body which can result in you being less alert and your body not responding properly if you're involved in a situation which requires a 'fight or flight response.' It's a bit hit and miss in terms of hayfever, because they work for some people but not others. Also you're not supposed to take them for more than a couple of weeks because of the risk of side effects.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2007, 06:59:43 pm »
Didn't know the arse injections were sterdoids- thought that they were just a stronger anti histamine or something. But the course you've had seems quite intense! You must have got it really, really bad?

Mine's improved a lot over the last few years; so an anti histamine tablet once or twice a day keeps me sane.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2007, 09:08:09 pm »
Synthetic steroids increase [by copying] the actions of cortisol. Corticosteroids (such as Cortisol a natural steroid produced by the body) are anti-inflammatory and immunosupressive i.e. they inhibit immune and inflammation reactions such as hayfever. So giving injections or tablets of steroids such as Flixonase mentioned on the first page will help down regulate the immune reaction your body is making against grass pollen.

Histamine is one of the main mediators in an inflammatory reaction and antihistamines basically work by blocking the signal that tells a cell to release histamine.

Be interesting to know if your Pollinex desensitzation over the winter worked !
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3