Author Topic: Hayfever  (Read 42209 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hayfever
« Reply #320 on: June 1, 2021, 09:24:41 am »
Suffered with this shit all my life, Telfast (Fexofenadine, which is now available over the counter) is the only thing that helps me.

I have to take it every day of the year.

You never thought about taking the injection (triamcinolone)? NHS don't do it but my brother pays about £70 a year for it at a private clinic and can last the entire summer. He suffers with heyfever much worse than me. But I still have to take a tablet every morning this time of year.

Don't buy your heyfever tablets from supermarkets or chemists. Buy online. I get 360 Cetirizine for £9.99
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: June 1, 2021, 09:20:20 pm »
You never thought about taking the injection (triamcinolone)? NHS don't do it but my brother pays about £70 a year for it at a private clinic and can last the entire summer. He suffers with heyfever much worse than me. But I still have to take a tablet every morning this time of year.

Don't buy your heyfever tablets from supermarkets or chemists. Buy online. I get 360 Cetirizine for £9.99
Hi Dave, I'm in Ireland so I'm not sure it's available. I'd be slow to swap though given the telfast is working for me. Should of thought about my life choices before moving to the middle of the Irish countryside...

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: June 2, 2021, 12:10:01 am »
These might have already been suggested in here, but has anyone tried these:

I suffer mildly from hayfever, but a mate of mine gets it bad. He pulled out a packet of these the other day and he swears by them, as do others he talked to that use them. He says they work better than anything else he's tried.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #323 on: June 2, 2021, 06:57:46 am »

Thanks for this tip mate. Just had a look and found them some on amazon for £6.78p. for a years worth.

Ive been buying branded and Tescos own for years and it gets expensive after a while.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #324 on: June 2, 2021, 09:37:54 am »
These might have already been suggested in here, but has anyone tried these:

I suffer mildly from hayfever, but a mate of mine gets it bad. He pulled out a packet of these the other day and he swears by them, as do others he talked to that use them. He says they work better than anything else he's tried.

I’m quite allergic to tea tree oil.. so no! 

What are they for?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: June 2, 2021, 10:03:31 am »
Thanks for this tip mate. Just had a look and found them some on amazon for £6.78p. for a years worth.

Ive been buying branded and Tescos own for years and it gets expensive after a while.

No problem, mate. I was the same as you. I work at a hospital so I get a slight discount at the onsite pharmacy here but still was costing me a couple of quid every couple of weeks. Especially as sometimes I am taking a couple a day!

Not seen those wipes before. I have tried nose sprays and eye drops in the past but they don’t seem to be as effective as tablets for me and if anything the spray just made me sneeze more and I started to be taste it which wasn’t pleasant. I find washing your hands, face, eyes and nose every couple hours with cold water helps a lot especially if you have itchy eyes.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: June 2, 2021, 10:17:07 pm »
I’m quite allergic to tea tree oil.. so no! 

What are they for?
You wipe them around your face, eyes and nose. It puts a coat on the inside corners of your eyes and nostrils and traps pollen, but doesn't allow it in. They work amazingly well, apparently.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #327 on: June 2, 2021, 10:25:34 pm »
You wipe them around your face, eyes and nose. It puts a coat on the inside corners of your eyes and nostrils and traps pollen, but doesn't allow it in. They work amazingly well, apparently.
It sounds like BS to me…

Would like to hear from people who have had them work
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: June 3, 2021, 12:56:42 am »
It sounds like BS to me…

Been told by people who use them regularly. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #329 on: June 4, 2021, 10:34:11 pm »
It sounds like BS to me…

I bought some today.  My eyes were itching like crazy earlier,  wiped them with these and instant relief.  Itching gone.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #330 on: June 4, 2021, 10:38:22 pm »
Might have to give these a go as it's kicked off big style the last 4 or 5 days.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #331 on: June 4, 2021, 10:40:15 pm »
Might have to give these a go as it's kicked off big style the last 4 or 5 days.

Yeah me too.  I had already take two anti histamines today so I used one of these, cos I didn't want to take another one.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: June 4, 2021, 11:20:25 pm »
same here. although missing some too, and coming out mostly ok.

I'm wondering what it is that Im particularly allergic too, seems an early spring issue for the most part.

Anyone here up to speed on the seasons, and what impacts us when?

Early spring hayfever, March/April is usually the tree pollen, then May/June is grasses, then July/August is flowers.

You can be effected by all of them or just some and the weather can change those timings too.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #333 on: June 4, 2021, 11:45:14 pm »
Early spring hayfever, March/April is usually the tree pollen, then May/June is grasses, then July/August is flowers.

You can be effected by all of them or just some and the weather can change those timings too.

I'm lucky in that I'm not allergic to tree pollen, so I don't start all my hay fever meds until May 1st.

It's grass, weed and nettle pollen that get me. I stay on my meds until late September.

This UK Pollen Calendar might be useful to some -
https://www.allergiesandhealth.com/seasonal/uk-pollen-calendar
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 11:49:52 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: June 5, 2021, 07:20:07 am »
I'm lucky in that I'm not allergic to tree pollen, so I don't start all my hay fever meds until May 1st.

It's grass, weed and nettle pollen that get me. I stay on my meds until late September.

This UK Pollen Calendar might be useful to some -
https://www.allergiesandhealth.com/seasonal/uk-pollen-calendar

I've no idea what I'm allergic to but I take antihistamines all year round to make sure I keep my levels up.

Thankfully it helps keep everything in check although they don't eliminate all the effects.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #335 on: February 5, 2022, 10:47:29 am »
Bought ten boxes of loteradine

The season nears. Get on them for spring and keep on em and it will build immunity for most

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: February 5, 2022, 10:59:40 am »
Bought ten boxes of loteradine

The season nears. Get on them for spring and keep on em and it will build immunity for most

I take antihistamines all year round for that reason

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #337 on: February 5, 2022, 03:52:17 pm »
Been on antihistamines for a skin issue for a little while now and my year round allergies/hay fever is a thing of the past!

Best thing I’ve learned is that at one stage I was talking 320mg a day! One antihistamine is only 10mg so don’t be afraid to take 2 a day if you need it. I am down to 20mg a day now but cetirizine doesn’t give me any drowsiness at all. And the cheap pen brand ones are just as good as the expensive stuff!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #338 on: February 5, 2022, 03:54:22 pm »
I'm the same already started them and this time I might just go taking them all year round.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2022, 12:53:58 pm »
How are people doing with it this year so far? Not had the need to take anything yet so far which is surprising.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2022, 01:17:33 pm »
How are people doing with it this year so far? Not had the need to take anything yet so far which is surprising.

I was quite bad with it during the warm weather the other week and it's flared up again today but the sun's out and it's quite breezy here so that could explain it.

I take antihistamines all year round though to keep it at bay so it's surprising I've noticed it as I don't normally.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: April 17, 2022, 01:48:17 pm »
I was quite bad with it during the warm weather the other week and it's flared up again today but the sun's out and it's quite breezy here so that could explain it.

I take antihistamines all year round though to keep it at bay so it's surprising I've noticed it as I don't normally.
Horrible when it starts to happen.

Even with cut grass I've been fine. I was being cautiously optimistic that I've outgrown worse of it ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: April 17, 2022, 02:00:17 pm »

Had a little but like I've posted I start obsessively taking it before it's even spring and it's doing me well  ;D

Don't save it for hot days. Just take it daily, like a vitamin pill

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 15, 2022, 01:46:35 pm »
Bloody awful at the moment.

I am having to have 3 or 4 loratadine at the moment and occasionally a couple of cetirizine too.

Fexofenadine until this year was available on prescription only but is now available over the counter and apparently is much stronger than loratadine and cetirizine so going to give that a whirl. It's not as cheap (£6.99 for 30 is cheapest I have found so far) but might be worth a go if you're struggling.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 15, 2022, 01:56:12 pm »
Had it since i was a little boy and spent years in absolute misery until i found a nasal spray that works. It's steroid based and called Beclometasone Dipropionate and i believe it's a generic Beconase but not 100% sure on that. 200 sprays in a bottle and 5 quid in my local pharmacy. Bottle does me for about 3 weeks peak season and i use alongside Citirizine tablets. Honestly i'd be lost without it this time of year and would be hiding in my bedroom most days my hayfever was that bad. Spray in each nostril twice a day and 2 sprays in each nostril peak season. No bother now at all can go camping, riding my motorbike in the mountains etc.. and the pollen has zero effect on me.

Had tried anything and everything before that including every tablet, injections, natural remedies and nothing worked. Takes about 2 days to work itself into the system in my experience so don't lose hope if you use it and expect results straight away.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #345 on: June 15, 2022, 05:40:39 pm »
This last week has been a nightmare, a daily Claretyn isn’t making much difference at all, am now trying Piriton every 4 or 5 hours
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 15, 2022, 05:48:19 pm »
I find bonjella works quite well for me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #347 on: June 15, 2022, 07:10:03 pm »
Bloody awful at the moment.

I am having to have 3 or 4 loratadine at the moment and occasionally a couple of cetirizine too.

Fexofenadine until this year was available on prescription only but is now available over the counter and apparently is much stronger than loratadine and cetirizine so going to give that a whirl. It's not as cheap (£6.99 for 30 is cheapest I have found so far) but might be worth a go if you're struggling.

Can’t remember it being this bad for ages Davo.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #348 on: June 15, 2022, 10:21:50 pm »
Yeah I've been so bad the last 2 weeks. Looking for an aircon unit for the bedroom now so I can at least have one area in the house I can go to get away from it.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2022, 08:22:02 am »
Can’t remember it being this bad for ages Davo.

My theory is because it's been windy of late. Wind kicking up dust and blowing pollen off trees and plants.

Weird thing is I don't suffer with hayfever abroad. I went to Turkey a month or so ago and didn't even have to take any antihistamine. Yet in the UK right now I am taking 3 or 4 one a day tablets a day and still I am either bunged up or nose and eyes streaming.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2022, 10:39:03 am »
So yesterday I switched from the 1 a day Clarityn to 3 Piritons spread during the day and can report that I found it more effective. I have taken one Piriton so far today and again, feels much better then Monday and Tuesday.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2022, 01:24:35 pm »
Had a little but like I've posted I start obsessively taking it before it's even spring and it's doing me well  ;D

Don't save it for hot days. Just take it daily, like a vitamin pill

No hay-fever yet for me this year, take early, take every day

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2022, 09:17:31 pm »
No hay-fever yet for me this year, take early, take every day
Same here. I used to get it horribly bad. My eyes would swell and close up. Then it was steroid injections to get on top of it.

Once I finally got the correct medical advice on it I've been ok. I know I'm allergic to grass and weed pollen, so I start taking my prescription hay fever meds on May 1st and keep doing so until the end of September. You have to be proactive with hay fever, not reactive. I've gone from being severely debilitated every summer to being able to function normally now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2022, 06:50:26 am »
Would be really lovely to not have to get up and blow my nose 20 times a night.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 22, 2022, 06:58:57 pm »
Never got hit bad with hayfever till now. Every year before it was eased with the usual antihistamines like Cetrine and Piriton, but I've since developed a condition that can cause seizures so I can't really use OTC antihistamines anymore. My pharmacist recommended a nasal spray called Rhinex Relief and an eye drop called Optricom. Both are working well so far. They're available on the medical card in Ireland.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 26, 2022, 03:53:23 pm »
Had one really crappy day this week but overall this year been a massive improvement so far.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2022, 04:50:01 pm »
Had one really crappy day this week but overall this year been a massive improvement so far.

Same, decided to hop on the daily cetirizine much earlier this year and mine's been very mild so far. May/June is usually the worst for me.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 26, 2022, 08:09:37 pm »
Never got hit bad with hayfever till now. Every year before it was eased with the usual antihistamines like Cetrine and Piriton, but I've since developed a condition that can cause seizures so I can't really use OTC antihistamines anymore. My pharmacist recommended a nasal spray called Rhinex Relief and an eye drop called Optricom. Both are working well so far. They're available on the medical card in Ireland.
bloody hell sorry about the condition mate!!

glad you found a solution

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #358 on: June 27, 2022, 03:52:57 pm »
Tried some tablets from Lidl, they seemed to completely dry my mouth and throat out and gave me a hacking cough. Not worth it.

Gonna go back to the standard Beconase/Piriteze combo I think. Got some menthol spray but from the few times I've used it it just irritates my nose rather than helping anything. Did anyone try the wipe things that are at the top of this page?

Would genuinely spend thousands to get rid of this shit and not have to worry about the different meds losing their effectiveness or displaying new side effects year by year.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #359 on: June 27, 2022, 04:13:41 pm »
Usually just take cetirizene but my eyes have been a nightmare this year so I'm going to try the face/eye wipes recommended in here. Also got recommended Optricom eye drops when I was at the opticians recently.

Anyone recommend a reputable online place for bulk buying cheap hayfever tablets?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."