Author Topic: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion  (Read 18605 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #560 on: August 13, 2022, 07:44:01 pm »
I have the hellraiser box set up to hellraiser 4, the rest are proper proper shit unfortunately.

Yeah, I was surprised Hellraiser didn't go. Visually imaginative and terrifying for the time. I could never stomach that type of horror though. I only really watch trashy comedy-horror. 80s forever does that best. Had some really obscure ones I could have picked, but doubt anyone but me would've seen them.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #561 on: August 13, 2022, 07:46:36 pm »
Yeah, I was surprised Hellraiser didn't go. Visually imaginative and terrifying for the time. I could never stomach that type of horror though. I only really watch trashy comedy-horror. 80s forever does that best. Had some really obscure ones I could have picked, but doubt anyone but me would've seen them.
Yeah was surprised as well, but collectively Nightmare on elm streets are better.

Post the movies anyway, least we can give ‘em a watch.

Surprised no one picked Friday the 13th

80’s was good for horror as well

Cujo, Christine, firestarter, Childs play, pet semetry,
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:49:49 pm by Chakan »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #562 on: August 13, 2022, 07:46:49 pm »
One Crazy Summer.

And the first video we ever rented as a family - Three Men and a Baby. :D

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #563 on: August 13, 2022, 07:48:18 pm »
Two I love but I didn’t think would go down well….

Haha Masters of the Universe is so bad that I don't think it's good. I did enjoy it as a kid though.

Reminds me that no-one picked Conan the Barbarian. I was really tempted, but felt like another one that had aged terribly.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #564 on: August 13, 2022, 07:50:05 pm »
I love Revenge of the Nerds but sexual politics have REALLY changed since then. Some personal favourites that didn't go: True Stories, Rocky III, Suburbia, Nausicaa, The Big Blue, Subway and She's Gotta Have It. Definitely one standout though, I'll post about it once everyone's finalised their picks

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: August 13, 2022, 07:52:23 pm »
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, Absolute Beginners and The Meaning of Life were the three movies I couldn't fit in that don't seem to have been used.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2022, 07:52:24 pm »
I love Revenge of the Nerds but sexual politics have REALLY changed since then. Some personal favourites that didn't go: True Stories, Rocky III, Suburbia, Nausicaa, The Big Blue, Subway and She's Gotta Have It. Definitely one standout though, I'll post about it once everyone's finalised their picks

Yeah true it’s changed a lot, I mean no one picked Lagoon, could they even make that movie again?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: August 13, 2022, 07:52:44 pm »
I read there's basically a rape scene in Revenge of the Nerds, played for laughs? Sorry to bring the tone down.

On a lighter note, I'm glad no one picked Soul Man.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: August 13, 2022, 07:59:21 pm »
Omg I completely forgot Warlock with Julian Sands, I loved that movie.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2022, 07:59:44 pm »
Haha didn’t think anyone had seen gods must be crazy! Very cool!

Above the law lol :P

Pre-lard Seagal is the best Seagal  ;)  I actually saw that in the theater and had a boss time.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2022, 08:01:08 pm »
Pre-lard Seagal is the best Seagal  ;)  I actually saw that in the theater and had a boss time.

Seagal started out great and then I think he started to believe his own hype and it went downhill quickly. Some of his movies though are like guilty pleasures.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2022, 08:04:37 pm »
Weekend at Bernie’s anyone?

Anyone who says the 80’s isn’t the greatest decade for movies is just lying.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2022, 08:05:20 pm »
I read there's basically a rape scene in Revenge of the Nerds, played for laughs? Sorry to bring the tone down.
From memory, one of the Nerds goes down on a popular girl after wearing a Darth Vader mask so she thinks it's her boyfriend. The sensation is enough to make her leave her jock boyfriend for the nerd. It's not good, but also not as bad as the end of Sixteen Candles IMO.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:07:22 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2022, 08:06:49 pm »
Weekend at Bernie’s anyone?

Anyone who says the 80’s isn’t the greatest decade for movies is just lying.

P4P the 70's are more heavy hitting mate.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2022, 08:07:54 pm »
One of the Nerds goes down on a popular girl wearing a Darth Vader mask so she thinks it's her boyfriend. It's not good, but also not as bad as the end of Sixteen Candles IMO.

Yeaaaah, also the blatant racial Asian stereotypes.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2022, 08:07:59 pm »
P4P the 70's are more heavy hitting mate.

Nah I disagree, the 70s feels more I dunno long epic classics whereas the 80s is just better cooler cinema

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:36 pm »
Haha didn’t think anyone had seen gods must be crazy! Very cool!

Above the law lol :P

Had Physics teacher who used to quote it all the time. Forgot it was from the 80s. It brilliant.

Also Wall Street didn't get picked. Neither did Conan the Barbarian.

Betty didn't pick Betty Blue.

No Kurosawa films got picked.

Just remembered Chariots of Fire was from 80s too. I would picked it had I remembered earlier.
'
There are probably another 20-30 great films left

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:58 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2022, 08:13:18 pm »
From memory, one of the Nerds goes down on a popular girl after wearing a Darth Vader mask so she thinks it's her boyfriend. The sensation is enough to make her leave her jock boyfriend for the nerd. It's not good, but also not as bad as the end of Sixteen Candles IMO.

Yeah, that was what I read about.

What happens at the end of Sixteen Candles?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2022, 08:14:11 pm »
Betty didn't pick Betty Blue.

Haha I did in the last film draft we did way back  ;D

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2022, 08:53:53 pm »
Haha I did in the last film draft we did way back  ;D

This is what I thought would be your first pick  :D

I saw it (Directors Cut) last summer (back to back with Call Me By Your Name) - two perfect Summer love films.

Kurosawa’s Ran should have been picked  :'(

Chariots of Fire and Last Temperation of Christ were two more of my unpicked favourites.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:56:14 pm by NICHOLLS1986 »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #581 on: August 13, 2022, 11:21:07 pm »
The Vanishing (Spoorloos for the dutchies) is my favourite movie that went unpicked. One of the best crime thrillers I have ever seen, with one of the better endings.

“The Thin Blue line” was my original choice for wildcard though, but messed up with the years regulation. One of the best, most maddening and unique documentaries. The poster is one of my all time favourites too.

Moonstruck is another lovely hilarious flick that I adore, but couldn’t pick because I already got Nic Cage in Raising Arizona.

No Jim Jarmusch either, who had a great decade with Down by Law, Stranger than Paradise and my personal favourite, Mystery Train.

“Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters” was one I was seconds away from picking it for my wildcard , but finally went for “The cook…”. Not sure I made the right call though. It’s such an amazing movie.

Now that I think about it, there were tons of great foreign language films that went unpicked. L’argent, Possesion, Wings of Desire to name a few.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: August 13, 2022, 11:43:52 pm »
Yeah, that was what I read about.

What happens at the end of Sixteen Candles?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Oxo7F75kd6w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Oxo7F75kd6w</a>

4:32 onwards.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: August 14, 2022, 09:43:04 am »
Ah ok, yeah that looks bad.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: August 14, 2022, 10:11:47 am »
Some ones that I had in mind that didn't get picked were Willow, Tootsie, Local Hero, Batman & Beverly Hills Cop.

Also, Superman III, which although has Richard Pryor is objectively a bad film. But it does have Scary Robot Woman in it which genuinely freaked me out as a kid.

Online vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #585 on: August 14, 2022, 10:31:45 am »
Drugstore Cowboy, Romancing the Stone, Sid and Nancy, Absolute Beginners, Distant Voices, Still Lives, The Fabulous Baker Boys were just a few on my list I couldn't fit in. I would have used Terminator 2 but mistakenly thought it was gone...doh! Just checked and I don't think it was picked. No matter, great draft with some absolute gems. Rewatched Terminator, Long Good Friday, The Lost Boys and Bladerunner. Watched Tampopo, Heathers and My Neighbour Totoro for the 1st time as they randomly took my eye. Really good choices and thanks for the heads up.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #586 on: August 14, 2022, 10:33:40 am »
Did Beverly Hills Cop go unpicked too? Was a toss up between that and Trading Places (and Coming to America) for me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #587 on: August 14, 2022, 10:41:29 am »
Romancing The Stone was one I really thought about, I think it's a great movie, but I wasn't convinced others would think the same.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2022, 10:50:49 am »
Romancing The Stone was one I really thought about, I think it's a great movie, but I wasn't convinced others would think the same.

Same tubs. I was even more tempted when I saw The Lost City had been picked which is virtually a remake and not as good in my humble opinion. Heathers was a good watch, btw. Cheers for that, pal.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2022, 10:53:22 am »
Heathers was a good watch, btw. Cheers for that, pal.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Always been a favourite of mine, but then I do tend to show bias towards movies starring my wife, Winona.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: August 14, 2022, 11:00:45 am »
Also watched Tampopo last night and really liked it. Usually comedies I find don't translate well across languages and cultures (unless it's physical comedy). But there were some genuine laugh out loud moments in this one.

Reminded me a lot French new wave films or a Wes Anderson film. Casting was top notch and it had some of the best actors from Japanese cinema. More than anything the film had charm and was heartwarming. Also the intro was genius.

I had ramen afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:04:51 am by Max_powers »

Online vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: August 14, 2022, 11:01:42 am »
Glad you enjoyed it.  Always been a favourite of mine, but then I do tend to show bias towards movies starring my wife, Winona.

Big fan too and Christian Slater lights up the screen on most things he's in. Michael Lehmann drecting also caught me eye as he directed that crazy Hudson Hawk movie that was marmite but I quite enjoyed. Well in the tubster

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #592 on: August 14, 2022, 01:42:45 pm »
Also watched Tampopo last night and really liked it. Usually comedies I find don't translate well across languages and cultures (unless it's physical comedy). But there were some genuine laugh out loud moments in this one.

Reminded me a lot French new wave films or a Wes Anderson film. Casting was top notch and it had some of the best actors from Japanese cinema. More than anything the film had charm and was heartwarming. Also the intro was genius.

I had ramen afterwards.

I felt exactly the same, and I am a huge fan of the French New Wave. I'm happy you enjoyed it - that's the best part of these drafts, finding or being reminded of films you either haven't seen, or haven't thought of in a long time.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: August 14, 2022, 01:43:57 pm »
I'm thinking 4 groups and the winner of each of goes through to the final, similar to what we did for the 90's draft. Everyone ok with that?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: August 14, 2022, 01:44:37 pm »
I'm thinking 4 groups and the winner of each of goes through to the final, similar to what we did for the 90's draft. Everyone ok with that?

:thumbup I’ll put together my list when I get home later

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: August 14, 2022, 01:46:11 pm »
:thumbup I’ll put together my list when I get home later

Sound, no rush, I'll get the first set of matches up tomorrow.

Online vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2022, 02:27:01 pm »

Sound, mate

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #597 on: August 14, 2022, 02:55:54 pm »
No Crocodile Dundee or Teen Wolf, Land Before Time either.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2022, 04:29:39 pm »
Group 1:

dis_1
Chakan
Nicholls
Sheer Magnetism

Group2:

Max Powers
red mongoose
Hazell
Lastrador

Group 3:

Betty Blue
El Lobo
tubby
Crosby Nick

Group 4:

Musketeer Gripweed
Samie
vivabobbygraham

I'll get the first matches set up tomorrow and then follow up with the rest during the week.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #599 on: August 14, 2022, 04:40:25 pm »
No Crocodile Dundee or Teen Wolf, Land Before Time either.
I'm really happy with The Neverending Story as my pick, but that was my preferred choice in that category. I almost cried when I realized I couldn't because of the year thingy. It was my first memory of ever watching a movie and having it on VHS, I must have watched it a hundred times.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:42:31 pm by Lastrador »