Author Topic: Martin Tyler  (Read 19494 times)

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Martin Tyler
« Reply #160 on: August 5, 2022, 09:24:40 pm »
We don’t know what’s taken place at Sky today. Carragher might’ve had a lot to say. But to do so in public isn’t an absolute requirement at this stage.
Carragher could have said to Sky he wouldn't do the co commentary and we wouldn't have been none the wiser. Neville is there. He could've stepped in

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #161 on: August 5, 2022, 09:31:58 pm »
Neil Jones:

Understand Liverpool have invited both BBC News and Sky Sports to meet with representatives of the club re: Martin Tyler's Hillsborough comments.

The aim is to discuss the ongoing need for constant vigilance to ensure accurate commentary & narrative around the issue.

Is right.

Then, in the same meeting, tell them Tyler is not welcome back at Anfield.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #162 on: August 5, 2022, 09:38:37 pm »
seeing this on the bbc footy front page i had a look and thought twat, then saw the quote in full context and thought 'oh, the other could be just meaning 'another' issue being hooliganism (ie another but different issue)

now i've just heard the recording, if i was young and ignorant of anything to do with english football back then, from the way that phrase is spoken i would assume hillsborough was part of a wider problem concerning hooliganism

call it a freudian slip, i bad choice of phrasing, a poor choice of words, the bottom line is those not aware of the truth regarding hillsborough having heard that would think whatever it was that happened at hillsborought was hooliganism related

no getting away from that

the explanation/excuse does not fit with way it was said and im not here to bury an axe in the dude, just calling it as i hear it

and it doesn't sit well, not remotely
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 5, 2022, 09:43:39 pm »
I'm annoyed Kelly Cates and Carragher didn't put sufficient pressure on Sky today for them to remove him from tonight's game on moral grounds. Sky could have announced the reason why or ignored the reason why - but just simply remove him.

Carragher's insouciant performance about how hurtful Tylers comments are can be expected, he's one of them now. But I can't express enough how disappointed I am with Kelly Cates. They are both millionaires, but they still put money and status before morals. Kelly Cates should be ashamed of herself, I never thought I'd write those words.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #164 on: August 5, 2022, 09:46:03 pm »
The absolute state. I hope you're all under 15.

Sorry, what is this meant to mean?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #165 on: August 5, 2022, 09:51:41 pm »
I'm annoyed Kelly Cates and Carragher didn't put sufficient pressure on Sky today for them to remove him from tonight's game on moral grounds. Sky could have announced the reason why or ignored the reason why - but just simply remove him.

Carragher's insouciant performance about how hurtful Tylers comments are can be expected, he's one of them now. But I can't express enough how disappointed I am with Kelly Cates. They are both millionaires, but they still put money and status before morals. Kelly Cates should be ashamed of herself, I never thought I'd write those words.
Strong words. My instinct is to wait for this to play out rather than concluding who should shoulder culpability. At this stage it’s not known what’s been said at Sky today and who has had their say. It’s also conceivable that his explanation has been accepted by Cates and Carragher following discussions between them. If so then it’s their business and their judgment of the issues as they see them, surely?

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #166 on: August 5, 2022, 10:02:30 pm »
Nah I’m not buying his apology; this is a man who’s had a decades long career based upon talking/analysing, I’m not buying he chose his words poorly on this occasion.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 10:04:22 pm by Red-4-Ever »

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 5, 2022, 10:05:41 pm »
seeing this on the bbc footy front page i had a look and thought twat, then saw the quote in full context and thought 'oh, the other could be just meaning 'another' issue being hooliganism (ie another but different issue)

now i've just heard the recording, if i was young and ignorant of anything to do with english football back then, from the way that phrase is spoken i would assume hillsborough was part of a wider problem concerning hooliganism

call it a freudian slip, i bad choice of phrasing, a poor choice of words, the bottom line is those not aware of the truth regarding hillsborough having heard that would think whatever it was that happened at hillsborought was hooliganism related

the explanation/excuse does not fit with way it was said and im not here to bury an axe in the dude, just calling it as i hear it

I think this is spot on, and to be honest it's something I hadn't considered. Whenever anyone in the media mentions Hillsborough, they need to be absolutely clear about what they're saying. And Tyler was more than a little lax with his choice of phrasing.
I think most people might think of Hillsborough and hooliganism when talking about football in the late 80s, but they need to be absolutely clear that they're not conflating the two.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 10:07:35 pm by kennedy81 »

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #168 on: August 5, 2022, 10:10:22 pm »
Ban the fucker from Anfield as an absolute minimum.  We don’t allow the *** in our house and this shit should be treated the same way.

Fuck off, you’re not welcome!
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 5, 2022, 10:26:23 pm »
 The use of the word “other” is what makes him guilty as charged. Not a misunderstanding for me, he said what he thought and what he thought was wrong.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #170 on: August 5, 2022, 10:27:07 pm »
There seems to be an on-going issue with the older folk saying some unbelievable and bizarre comments in sport, whether it is racist, prejudiced, incorrect or just wrong. In this instance his comments are reprehensible and he probably should of retired some years ago as his commentary work can testify.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 5, 2022, 10:27:55 pm »
Always knew the c*nt hated us and had a massive chip on his shoulder, but for some on here, I was either being hyperbolic or tin foiled hat on.

His goose is cooked. The c*nt let his mask slip and he can't walk that back.

Fuckin tosser.  :tosser

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 5, 2022, 10:31:53 pm »
Sorry, what is this meant to mean?
Means he's a devious oul c*nt that pretends he hasn't a clue.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #173 on: August 5, 2022, 10:34:42 pm »
The fucker knew exactly what he was saying. No doubt about it. He hates us, always has. The despicable bastard should be taken off the air immediately, but Sky being what they are won't do a thing until they think their brand is being affected. I've not given these fuckers my hard earned money for their subscriptions for ages now and this is further justification why none of us should pay for this shite. Either go down the pub or get IPTV. Don't give these c*nts any of our money

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #174 on: August 5, 2022, 10:53:38 pm »
I had half expected him to appear after the game and make a comment/apology but perhaps Sky think it’s not their problem given it was said on a different platform?

I guess Tyler has multiple employers but Sky as his main employer, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for him to speak and apologise sincerely in the flesh.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 5, 2022, 10:57:19 pm »
I had half expected him to appear after the game and make a comment/apology but perhaps Sky think it’s not their problem given it was said on a different platform?

I guess Tyler has multiple employers but Sky as his main employer, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for him to speak and apologise sincerely in the flesh.
Did he not say anything? I had hoped he might have said a few words.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #176 on: August 5, 2022, 11:01:06 pm »
Did he not say anything? I had hoped he might have said a few words.

It'd just have been bollocks anyway. As I said before, his apologies earlier today weren't to us, they were to his employers.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #177 on: August 5, 2022, 11:21:59 pm »
Genuinely can’t believe he’s done that game tonight. That shows you with Sky and ALL their employees make of the remarks. It’s over to the club now, during that meeting with Sky and BBC make sure it’s said that Tyler is no longer welcome at Anfield.

Like a lot of people on here have said, I’ve been 100% certain for years that he hates us and it’s bleeds into his drab commentary on everything we do. I’ve been called a tin foil hatter myself for it, I think today we all found out the truth and it’s that he hates Liverpool Football Club.

I’m fucking disgusted he wasn’t at the very least pulled off todays game and went on as normal. Would agree with others calling Carragher out too. Absolute sell out.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 5, 2022, 11:31:48 pm »
Im not really sure what Sky can do about it.

Tyler has said something on air which sounds incredibly dubious and immediately stated that he didn’t mean it in the way that it sounded and in fact meant it in a totally different way. Now whether you believe that or not, the point is that you can’t prove it either way so I’m not really sure what Sky can do about it short of calling him a liar. I guess they could suspend him purely for making an unacceptable mistake on the grounds that he should know better, but ultimately he’s explained himself and whether you buy that or not it’s impossible to prove he’s lying.

It would be different if he’d been caught on film saying something along those lines privately or something, but the fact he was so blatant with it has probably worked in his favour as it makes the idea that it was a totally innocent mistake probably more believable and easy to brush off as such if that’s how you want to view it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #179 on: August 5, 2022, 11:43:45 pm »

They were my exact thoughts when I heard the clip.

Those who are fully aware of the reality of Hillsborough could possibly take his words in one of two ways. However, the vast majority are not very aware at all. Many have entrenched prejudices. Many actually want to believe the establishment's cover-up and lies. For those, Tyler's words mean only one thing.

Anyone not clued up on the disaster would take those words and how they were said as clearly linking Hillsborough with hooliganism.

To be honest, I think Tyler is a poor commentator. I find him dour, depressing and boring, but I was genuinely hoping that once I heard the clip and it's context I would be able to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, it actually sounded worse than I thought it would. An uninformed listener (of which there are so many) would hear him linking Hillsborough with hooliganism, because that's exactly how it came across.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #180 on: August 5, 2022, 11:46:35 pm »
Carragher could have said to Sky he wouldn't do the co commentary and we wouldn't have been none the wiser. Neville is there. He could've stepped in
Carragher has gone native. He's Sky's man now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 5, 2022, 11:52:47 pm »
Strong words. My instinct is to wait for this to play out rather than concluding who should shoulder culpability. At this stage it’s not known what’s been said at Sky today and who has had their say. It’s also conceivable that his explanation has been accepted by Cates and Carragher following discussions between them. If so then it’s their business and their judgment of the issues as they see them, surely?
Indeed, and not without consideration.
I considered they all have a genuine working relationship and in my mind I can even accept they really like him as a character and someone to work with. My mind even wandered to how he can use his professional loveliness amongst the broadcasting team to explain it away. Today they bought it. I reckon anyway.
I can imagine a scenario of Mr nice Martin Tyler explaining how it was all misinterpreted and everyone feeling uncomfortable about it should just forget it.
He may have manipulated Kelly Cates in to believing his apology was sincere.
I bet her fucking dad doesn't believe it.

I'm getting very 'cancel culture' here, of course it won't happen to Kelly because of a Liverpool incident, the country don't give a fuck, but for me, as the daughter of Kenny, for her to easily segway the nights events over to that twat after that comment is concerning.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #182 on: August 6, 2022, 12:00:03 am »

Tyler has said something on air which sounds incredibly dubious and immediately stated that he didn’t mean it in the way that it sounded and in fact meant it in a totally different way. Now whether you believe that or not, the point is that you can’t prove it either way so I’m not really sure what Sky can do about it short of calling him a liar. I guess they could suspend him purely for making an unacceptable mistake on the grounds that he should know better, but ultimately he’s explained himself and whether you buy that or not it’s impossible to prove he’s lying.

It would be different if he’d been caught on film saying something along those lines privately or something, but the fact he was so blatant with it has probably worked in his favour as it makes the idea that it was a totally innocent mistake probably more believable and easy to brush off as such if that’s how you want to view it.

Sky can and can’t do what they want.  Leave him spouting his outdated moronic dirge, or act and seize the moral position and sack this c*nt.

Otherwise, we as a club can ban this odious individual from our property.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 6, 2022, 12:10:38 am »
Indeed, and not without consideration.
I considered they all have a genuine working relationship and in my mind I can even accept they really like him as a character and someone to work with. My mind even wandered to how he can use his professional loveliness amongst the broadcasting team to explain it away. Today they bought it. I reckon anyway.
I can imagine a scenario of Mr nice Martin Tyler explaining how it was all misinterpreted and everyone feeling uncomfortable about it should just forget it.
He may have manipulated Kelly Cates in to believing his apology was sincere.
I bet her fucking dad doesn't believe it.

I'm getting very 'cancel culture' here, of course it won't happen to Kelly because of a Liverpool incident, the country don't give a fuck, but for me, as the daughter of Kenny, for her to easily segway the nights events over to that twat after that comment is concerning.

Agree completely. Just par for the course now though unfortunately. The whole country, sky and even our own club have accepted thousands singing in unison the disgusting chants that get repeated year in year out at our own stadium. Nothing gets done. I can’t begin to imagine the anger and pain it must bring to so many involved. I’ll leave it there as I’ve had a couple of vinhos and getting more annoyed by it all.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 6, 2022, 12:20:47 am »
The whole country, sky and even our own club have accepted thousands singing in unison the disgusting chants that get repeated year in year out at our own stadium. Nothing gets done. I can’t begin to imagine the anger and pain it must bring to so many involved.
Yep, and often its all out of ours, the clubs or an individuals control to really halt it.

But when high profile Reds allow it to perpetuate and fail to absolutely reject an apology from the culprit its beyond disappointing.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 6, 2022, 12:22:57 am »
He's a fucking rat and its unequivocal the correlation the c*nt tried to make, the fucking prick!

Offline Breakdown

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: August 6, 2022, 12:46:28 am »
grade A c*nt

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 6, 2022, 12:49:25 am »
not a fan of going after Kelly, none of us know what has been said behind the scenes and being professional is no endorsement of Tyler. She deffo gets the benefit of the doubt from me.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #188 on: August 6, 2022, 01:23:51 am »
Well at least our play has been giving him heartburn for years now and his beloved mancs as well. He probably lives on Tums and Rolaids.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 6, 2022, 05:04:35 am »
Well this just confirms all of our beliefs that Martin Tyler hates Liverpool. Wonder how long hes been saying that in private? The back tracking on what he "meant" to say is laughable and pathetic

He had a freudian slip and how he really thinks and feels about Hillsborough slipped out from the old cretin

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #190 on: August 6, 2022, 06:46:10 am »
Stop listening to his commentary with us years ago as he just spoils the game.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 6, 2022, 07:37:41 am »
Bit disappointing to see some on here accepting his version of events to be honest. Everyone is free to make up their own mind of course but after just one listen of the clip you can tell he was trying to imply Hillsborough was the biggest among many other hooligan events in the 80’s. Which although it took many years and inquires to get the truth out the rest of the world knows what Liverpool supporters and families of the victims have known for a long time.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #192 on: August 6, 2022, 07:56:21 am »

Where did he immediately say he didn't mean it?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 6, 2022, 08:03:18 am »
Agree completely. Just par for the course now though unfortunately. The whole country, sky and even our own club have accepted thousands singing in unison the disgusting chants that get repeated year in year out at our own stadium. Nothing gets done. I can’t begin to imagine the anger and pain it must bring to so many involved. I’ll leave it there as I’ve had a couple of vinhos and getting more annoyed by it all.

Yep, and often its all out of ours, the clubs or an individuals control to really halt it.

But when high profile Reds allow it to perpetuate and fail to absolutely reject an apology from the culprit its beyond disappointing.

They could start by telling the twats to call out the chants as soon as they start up during commentary and then again at half time and after the game discussions.

Make it an absolute no no until the thick twats get the message.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 6, 2022, 08:28:45 am »

When he came out afterwards and blamed everyone else for misunderstanding his words it was put out through Sky.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 6, 2022, 09:33:22 am »
Where did he immediately say he didn't mean it?

He released a statement shortly afterward stating that he realises there’s no link between hooliganism and Hillsborough.

As I say, I can see why people are unwilling to accept that explanation but it’s a bit different for his employer who have to act within the realms of employment law.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #196 on: August 6, 2022, 09:33:30 am »
Sadly the trolls are out in force on Twitter posting offensive images and messaged saying he was right. I even had the usual golf club bore telling me we should  all be moving on because it was all so long ago and we will never get peace until we move on.
Honestly
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 6, 2022, 09:35:22 am »

Its so incomprehensible that a Scouser and the great mans daughter would let this slide that there HAS to be more we dont know about.
Im clinging to that. Dont let us down Kelly, not you.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 6, 2022, 09:43:40 am »
Sky should really have moved Martin Tyler along ages ago… he is a senile commentator who very clearly has a certain bias towards certain clubs when on commentary.

This though should have been the final straw but clearly not it seems. Think the game against Palace at home next week on Sky would be a good start for Kopites to let their feelings known on whilst live… then again we’ll see the producers probably do the work of their lives to try and muffle it out…

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #199 on: August 6, 2022, 09:47:11 am »
Nah I’m not buying his apology; this is a man who’s had a decades long career based upon talking/analysing, I’m not buying he chose his words poorly on this occasion.

Neither do I.

Underneath that skin is an enormous hatred for us. Unless he has believed it all his life, there is no fucking way he could confuse Hillsborough with hooliganism.

It’s beggars believe that he isn’t suspended yet.