Author Topic: The little things that annoy you in football  (Read 23378 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The little things that annoy you in football
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2022, 03:55:59 pm »
Other fanbases.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2022, 04:30:58 pm »
Time wasting which is effective because the authorities let it be so
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2022, 06:30:35 pm »
Time wasting which is effective because the authorities let it be so
There’s so many annoying aspects of football that could be dealt with by just applying the existing laws properly and consistently.

Unfortunately the game ends up with the behaviours it deserves because so much is tolerated which then becomes “part of the game” as pundits like to remind us.

Offline Craig67

• Main Stander
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2022, 08:19:54 pm »
Adults fans with their faces painted.... fine for youngsters but anyone over the age of 16 with face paint should be refused entry.
Anyone who sings 'Oooh are yer'.... most inane chant going, didn't think anything could top 'ere we go', but that seems to have managed it.
Score boards..... if you don't know the score you either shouldn't be at the match or have had a couple too many, in which case a scoreboard probably wont help anyway!

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2022, 08:32:46 pm »
  • Opposition players cutting down our players without punishment. One of ours make one challenge and gets a yellow.
  • Time wasting allowed until the 80th minute
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2022, 09:09:19 pm »
There’s so many annoying aspects of football that could be dealt with by just applying the existing laws properly and consistently.

Unfortunately the game ends up with the behaviours it deserves because so much is tolerated which then becomes “part of the game” as pundits like to remind us.

Agreed, the previously mentioned players crowding the ref to argue over every decision does my head in, refs can already put a stop to that by using existing laws & booking players, there is such a thing as foul & abusive language which is a red card offence, not sure what the other one is now, but at one time it was ungentlemanly conduct, which was a yellow.

I was watching an FA cup match from the early 80s, Stoke vs Burnley, on youtube a whilst ago, 2 players were sent off for remarks to the referee, one was a double yellow, then under the term ungentlemanly conduct, the other straight red for foul & abusive, shame more refs don't use this more often.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2022, 02:23:27 pm »
The 3 match ban for straight red card, for some red cards there needs to be a longer ban, like those leg breakers tackles, this is were Rugby has it right, bans for red card offences differ depending on the severity of the offence, players have been banned for as much as 26 weeks.
#Sausages

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2022, 02:25:56 pm »
The “professional foul” when a player gets past an opponent and with no attempt to win the ball just brings down his opponent. If it’s not a genuine attempt to win the ball and only to stop your opponent it’s a red card for me. Same with shirt pulling in the box on corners.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2022, 02:28:06 pm »
The time wasting really is a big annoyance. No problem with it being a tactic, particularly late in a game, but the whole point is that its meant to be punishable. Its a bit like letting a boxer get out of the ring and run around the stadium until the last round, and then telling him he can't do that. I almost think its a worldwide collective refereeing protest at VAR, as in 'you dont think you need us anymore? Fine, we wont do anything then'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2022, 03:45:17 pm »
Very small thing but the Europa League games (and now Conference League games) being played exclusively on Thursdays but holding the finals on a Wednesday. I'm a bit less arsed about the Champions League Finals being on a Saturday these days when the games all take place on a Tuesday/Wednesday.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2022, 04:05:50 pm »
The lazy phrases that are commonly used. The striker gambled, last season he scores that, he hit that too well, he's trying too hard, they bottled it,

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2022, 04:14:21 pm »
The lazy phrases that are commonly used. The striker gambled, last season he scores that, he hit that too well, he's trying too hard, they bottled it,

Personal favourite of of these is "He doesn't like players to get in and around him." I mean to be honest, I doubt I would want someone to "get in" me in front of a live audience of thousands.

Oh yeah, and Glenn Hoddle's use of the word 'goals', as in "That shot's gone well wide of the goals there."

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2022, 04:19:09 pm »
Personal favourite of of these is "He doesn't like players to get in and around him." I mean to be honest, I doubt I would want someone to "get in" me in front of a live audience of thousands.

Oh yeah, and Glenn Hoddle's use of the word 'goals', as in "That shot's gone well wide of the goals there."
Goals is old skool though, my dad says it too

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2022, 07:01:51 pm »
The way everyone involved in football shake hands. What’s wrong with a proper handshake?
Also when players cover their mouths while speaking to each other. Relax, bud. You’re an athlete and not an agent of the Impossible Mission Force.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2022, 07:15:19 pm »
-The maddening inconsistency of added time, especially the occasional absurd differences sometimes between added time in the first half and the second half. I've seen first halves with multiple goals and stoppages and 3 minutes are added on where if all that happened in the second half, I swear it would have been 5 or 6.
-Players being 'respectful' and refusing to celebrate scoring against their former club.
-The inane amount of pre-match handshakes. So over the top and unnecessary.
-Commentators and their overuse of the word "absolutely". Arlo White is infamous at using that word to describe almost any non tap-in goal. "Absolutely astonishing." No Arlo, it was a nice hit from outside the box, that happens dozens of times a season.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:16:56 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2022, 08:23:51 pm »
City
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2022, 08:43:42 pm »
Everton
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2022, 09:23:25 pm »
The Athletic

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2022, 10:11:17 pm »

-The inane amount of pre-match handshakes. So over the top and unnecessary.

I'll expand on that and highlight the constant high-fiving/fist-bump/handshakes that teams do these days for things like clearing the ball for a corner. They're more concerned with getting them in than getting in position. I can hear my old coach screaming "Turn and face!"

Also, Americanised terminology like "from the get-go" instead of start.
Oh, and I also dislike the fact that they've slyly phased out 'man of the match' in men's football, presumably in case they offend one of the...men?  :butt

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2022, 10:13:52 pm »
placards asking for player's shirts

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2022, 07:41:42 am »
Players that appeal for absolutely everything, even when it’s blatantly obvious it’s not their throw, free kick or corner. Really pisses me off seeing their arms waving about every 10 seconds. Do us a favour and pack it in.

Online RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2022, 07:52:21 am »
vuvuzelas

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2022, 09:45:54 am »
Should be an instant yellow if a player touches the ball after a decision has been given against their team.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Alan574

• Main Stander
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2022, 09:56:29 am »
Agreed, the previously mentioned players crowding the ref to argue over every decision does my head in, refs can already put a stop to that by using existing laws & booking players, there is such a thing as foul & abusive language which is a red card offence, not sure what the other one is now, but at one time it was ungentlemanly conduct, which was a yellow.

I was watching an FA cup match from the early 80s, Stoke vs Burnley, on youtube a whilst ago, 2 players were sent off for remarks to the referee, one was a double yellow, then under the term ungentlemanly conduct, the other straight red for foul & abusive, shame more refs don't use this more often.

I was a referee back in the eighties.  Only local stuff.  I was in the changing room and a player came in and spoke to another referee who had just finished a game.  "Why did you send me off" he demanded.  "For foul and abusive language" the ref replied.  "You swore at me". "No I fucking never you lying c***" the player replied. We just fell about laughing.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2022, 10:33:56 am »
VAR, agents and PSG. Next question? :wave

Might actually not be little things but then again the sport is basically dormant for me until it's fixed.
Linudden.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2022, 10:44:26 am »
Reals bullshit about winning it 13 times, when every win before 67 was against literal farmers handpicked to lose. And that being repeated ad nauseum by the press.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2022, 10:49:43 am »
Reals bullshit about winning it 13 times, when every win before 67 was against literal farmers handpicked to lose. And that being repeated ad nauseum by the press.

Would you have discounted 1965 if we weren't cheated out of it?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2022, 10:51:27 am »
Of course not. What kind of question is that?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2022, 10:52:33 am »
Why should theirs be discounted then? They still beat the best teams in Europe to win it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2022, 10:52:34 am »
Of course not. What kind of question is that?

How can you discount all theirs before 1967 if you would count ours if we won it in 1965?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2022, 10:55:17 am »
How can you discount all theirs before 1967 if you would count ours if we won it in 1965?

If you look at the United team of 1958 they would certainly have given Real for their money.

They were no ‘farmers team’.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2022, 12:57:21 pm »
I was a referee back in the eighties.  Only local stuff.  I was in the changing room and a player came in and spoke to another referee who had just finished a game.  "Why did you send me off" he demanded.  "For foul and abusive language" the ref replied.  "You swore at me". "No I fucking never you lying c***" the player replied. We just fell about laughing.

:lmao

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2022, 01:15:03 pm »
Great argument mate.  Let’s revisit 1978 while we’re at it shall we?  The winning team that year faced the night of Bruges in the final and only had to play seven games to win it.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2022, 01:21:24 pm »
Retiring squad numbers. Fuck off with that shite
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2022, 04:25:24 pm »
Anthony Gordon

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2022, 01:12:09 am »
People that go on about the little things that annoy them in football?

*ducks for cover* ;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:12 am »
• players covering their mouths when talking
I don't mind that. They're speaking to another individual, not to millions of viewers watching everything they do and say hoping for something to make a mountain out of.

• references to ‘highest-paid player in the club’s history’ like there might’ve been somebody raking it in bigger in the 1890s
Good shout. Same applies to other things where context is ignored

• how fussy Liverpool’s badge is

Another good shout. I don't like it. The individual components are valid and important but it's just a mess. Give me a Liverbird with L. F. C. under it. That's all that's needed.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2022, 05:23:28 pm »
The notion that Newcastle fans "deserve success". Based on what? Biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2022, 05:46:23 pm »

Hoddle also likes to say "he got half a touch".  WTF?  surely a touch (or not) is binary?
TheMissionary
YNWA