Author Topic: Glastonbury Festival 2022  (Read 18496 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glastonbury Festival 2022
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2022, 12:32:59 am »
Mate, the Levellers headlined in 1994 off the back of two albums and pulled the biggest crowd ever at the festival (at that point). If they're good enough, they're big enough. Not that Billie Eilish is good enough, but you get my drift.
The Levellers are fucking ace though.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2022, 01:00:02 am »
Ah, didn’t realise that this over hyped, white middle class millennial gap year nonsense was back on.

Might have a couple of hours playing spot the non white face in the pyramid stage crowd.

More entertaining than the shite acts that are on.

The lack of diversity in the crowd is fucking weird, given the bargain price of only £300 a ticket.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2022, 01:06:54 am »
shite bands
shite artists
shite music all weekend
shite

BUT

wish ah wis thair with ma acid

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2022, 01:14:59 am »
Ah, didn’t realise that this over hyped, white middle class millennial gap year nonsense was back on.

Might have a couple of hours playing spot the non white face in the pyramid stage crowd.

The lack of diversity in the crowd is fucking weird, given the bargain price of only £300 a ticket.

Those first two words in your sub title are well chosen :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2022, 01:33:15 am »
Finished early.

Referee's a wanker is on
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2022, 01:36:00 am »

You are The Male Online from Viz, and I claim my £5.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2022, 08:36:22 am »

That's quite an unusual post and I'll say inaccurate in every sense if you don't mind mate.

Overhyped? That's usually a term we'd perhaps associate with the organisers or media to generate interest in something that could be perceived as insignificant. It's the people, the crowd and indeed the viewer that have longed for this - for years. It was in my diary many months ago as soon as the announcements were made.

In just the first afternoon I saw a lot of diversity and indeed pride celebration yesterday. There was a togetherness of people of all ages and backgrounds and I'd bet if any one from any ethnicity was underrepresented it would not be because they aren't welcome.

I'd also add that £300 is a bargain (if that is the price) for a full weekend of entertainment by multiple mega-stars given the facilities and security required to keep people safe and contained. I suspect there'll be extortionate prices for food and beer inside the complex but we experience that on our own doorstep in Sefton Park at any event.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2022, 08:52:14 am »

What an utterly bizarre take.

I know a tonne of people that go every year and you couldn't call any of them middle class. All working class guys and girls who save up a bit every year, no different to saving up for a holiday somewhere.

And of all the things to bash Glastonbury for, lack of diversity and representation is certainly not one of them. In fact, the progressiveness and inclusivity of the festival is probably the main thing that's converted me from a complete cynic to a big fan.

Oh and £300 actually is a bargain. Tell me anywhere you can go for 3/4 nights that costs less than that? It wouldn't even get you two nights in a decent hotel in most cities and obviously you wouldn't have 100s of entertainment acts to choose from.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2022, 09:11:54 am »
Mad shout by Only Me that. Especially seeing as an African American is actually headlining on Sunday.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2022, 09:19:34 am »

Agree with the above replies. It's a weird take on it. There are festivals that have far more of a white middle class studenty vibe to them (Leeds/Reading for example) where the focus is more squarely on rock/alternative music. Glastonbury has a more diverse musical output, both stylistically and socially - this year alone you've got Arlo Parks, Little Simz, Kendrick Lamar all featured prominently on the bill. There's more work to be done representing minorities on stage and in the crowd, but there's a limit to what the organisers can be expected to achieve. If you put on a broad range of acts and support a friendly, welcoming vibe then you're on the right path. And as noted while £300 isn't cheap, it's really not expensive for what you get.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2022, 09:23:23 am »
£300 definitely isn't cheap when Champions League tickets were more and tickets for The Rolling Stones started at like £90 and went up to over £300
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2022, 09:29:11 am »
The interesting thing about Glastonbury is, if you don't like it thats perfectly fine. Several fucking bizarre people in here, really. Go outside for a walk and clear your heads.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2022, 09:32:00 am »
£300 definitely isn't cheap when Champions League tickets were more and tickets for The Rolling Stones started at like £90 and went up to over £300

It's all relative though isn't it?

£300 for a football match is horribly expensive, objectively. Roughly 2 hours of entertainment (stretch to 3 for a CL final with a pre-match "show" and ET/penalties), so £100 per hour at best. £300 for a one off gig is even worse if you ask me.

£300 for a whole weekend of performances by huge artists across the musical spectrum, all in the same place, with a place to pitch a tent, facilities, staff, huge numbers of amenities etc? I mean it's comparative to a holiday for 3/4 days. I wouldn't necessarily say "cheap" but I don't think the cost is disproportionate to the experience.

The interesting thing about Glastonbury is, if you don't like it thats perfectly fine. Several fucking bizarre people in here, really. Go outside for a walk and clear your heads.
Was thinking this with some of the comments on Billie Eilish last night ;D Some of them very much had the vibe of...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:33:31 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2022, 09:46:04 am »
Probably a stupid question but for those of you who've been regularly is it possible to camp and spend your time away from all the main stages?

I'd love to go but I'd want to stay away from the crowds and be with the hippies and pagens, having a more contemplative chilled few days.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2022, 10:04:27 am »
Just wanted to say well in Jamie Webster who smashed it last night from looking at some videos this morning. From watching him in the Halfway House to his dream of playing at Glastonbury wow.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2022, 10:51:13 am »
I do get Ting Tings vibes from Wet Leg, I think someone said it in here earlier.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2022, 11:38:50 am »
Watching some of the highlights from yesterday, Crowded House were sensational. They'd have fit right into that mid-afternoon slot on Sunday no bother. Sam Fender excellent too, I still maintain he should have been in one of the headline slots. Wasn't as keen on Billie Eilish, but I've never understood the hype around her music. I'd have preferred Dua Lipa, but people seemed to like it so fair enough!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2022, 01:47:15 pm »
Probably a stupid question but for those of you who've been regularly is it possible to camp and spend your time away from all the main stages?

I'd love to go but I'd want to stay away from the crowds and be with the hippies and pagens, having a more contemplative chilled few days.

I went loads of times from 1999-2011 and one year I did spend pretty much all my time in the tipi field where my mate was camped. Only saw about 6 bands. Drank a lot of chai. It's defo possible.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2022, 01:57:08 pm »
I went loads of times from 1999-2011 and one year I did spend pretty much all my time in the tipi field where my mate was camped. Only saw about 6 bands. Drank a lot of chai. It's defo possible.

Fantastic thanks mate 👍

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2022, 02:35:26 pm »
Just caught up with Supergrass set from yesterday. Loved it, great trip down memory Lane, forgot how many really good songs they had.
Gaz Coombs last couple of solo records are well worth a listen if you haven’t had the pleasure

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2022, 02:47:16 pm »
Just caught up with Supergrass set from yesterday. Loved it, great trip down memory Lane, forgot how many really good songs they had.
Gaz Coombs last couple of solo records are well worth a listen if you haven’t had the pleasure

Yeah I quite liked them back in the day, but never massively but when I revisit their older stuff I really like it. In It For The Money had some belting tunes and then a later album after they’d fallen out of favour a bit, Road to Rouen is really good. Bit more grown up sounding with a couple of good really nice songs (St Petersburg and Low  C).

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2022, 03:14:18 pm »

What an utter load of bullshit - and this from a poster who often eats at Michellin Starred restaurants and boasts about it constantly on here  ::)
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2022, 03:14:36 pm »

Wow, a post that manages to be both utterly pointless and utterly ignorant at the same time. Well done.

Do you have some kind of quota you apply to the ethnic and socio-economic background of the crowd before you deem an event to be worthy or valid?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:17:56 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2022, 03:17:47 pm »
I would honestly sacrifice every Millennial/Gen Z pop star to the music gods if it meant we could get a young Paul McCartney back with something to prove and I say this as a millennial!

Sam Fender's the best you're going to get, but the only reason Fender's gained any real traction outside Newcastle in the mainstream is because teenage girls fancy him. i saw him at the Arena this year and he was a great, with an excellent young crowd as well tbf. There are plenty of good bands and young singers out there, but it's difficult to pass through the mainstream now for a working class act, the way Oasis and co did in the 90s.

To cut through you've got to appeal to the Gen Z set and their tastes are a lot different.

Jamie Webster's great as well, and got a lot to say, but good luck getting the establishment BBC to play it and they also determine a lot what's mainstream and what isn't.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:24:35 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2022, 03:27:58 pm »
Caught up with Little Simz and onto Sleaford Mods - Andrew Fearn cracks me up.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2022, 03:32:51 pm »
Just watching TLC. Not great. But Scrubs and Waterfalls in particular still pretty cool and loved by the crowd

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2022, 03:35:45 pm »
Anyone watching black midi? Absolute madness.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2022, 04:55:05 pm »
Oh man.  Caught a singer last night on TV performing in the outdoor studio thing where Jo Wiley and the blert with the red hair do their presenting.

Her name was Sinead O'Brien

I swear to god I am in love.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2022, 05:05:26 pm »
Her name was Sinead O'Brien

Jools Holland had her on last month.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2022, 05:05:51 pm »
Just watching TLC. Not great. But Scrubs and Waterfalls in particular still pretty cool and loved by the crowd

Just saw that. Pretty nostalgic. :D

Just caught up with bits of Idles, Wolf Alice and Supergrass too (found the iPlayer!).

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2022, 05:12:02 pm »
Just catching up on iPlayer. Primal Scream are obviously past their peak, and they could really do with the second guitarist. but still love them live.

Also, I really want the Screamadelica suit.  ;D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2022, 05:20:27 pm »
Just saw that. Pretty nostalgic. :D

Just caught up with bits of Idles, Wolf Alice and Supergrass too (found the iPlayer!).
Yep, just watched Wolf Alice as well, don’t know that much by them but thought they were pretty good. Looking forward to watching HAIM in a bit

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2022, 07:05:02 pm »
Think I’m in love with Ellie out of Wolf Alice.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2022, 07:06:28 pm »
Think I’m in love with Ellie out of Wolf Alice.

She wouldn’t go near you even if you were the last man on Earth.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2022, 07:08:48 pm »
She wouldn’t go near you even if you were the last man on Earth.

;D

Is this not live? I’m sure I seen them on telly yesterday aswell?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2022, 07:19:19 pm »
;D

Is this not live? I’m sure I seen them on telly yesterday aswell?
It’s yesterdays set.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2022, 07:39:48 pm »
It’s yesterdays set.

Fuck sake. I’d be lost without you duvva.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2022, 07:49:20 pm »
Noel Gallagher wins most boring and least charismatic performance I’ve ever seen award.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2022, 07:53:12 pm »
Noel Gallagher wins most boring and least charismatic performance I’ve ever seen award.

Still living off Oasis's first couple of albums a quarter of a century ago (and being a mouthy twat to keep himself relevant). Everything he's done since has been dirge.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2022, 07:55:24 pm »

Just don't get the point of having him on, certainly not that high up the bill. No-one really wants to hear his solo stuff, and most Oasis songs are pointless without Liam. He certainly shouldn't be higher on the bill than Haim, based on current fame and popularity.