Author Topic: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)  (Read 190685 times)

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Formula 1 2022: The return of ground effect(s)
« Reply #2320 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:05 pm »
Off-topic -- Goodwood livestreaming on Youtube.
Saw a decent crash about 2 hours ago lol. no one hurt, but some car damage and fucked up bail of hay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6fQ8EkASE

Karun Chandhok is there driving, arguably,  the most beautiful F1 car of the lot..

Brabham BT52

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 01:13:28 am by Paul_h »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #2321 on: June 24, 2022, 07:25:38 pm »
Karun Chandhok is there driving, arguably,  the most beautiful of all F1 cars..

Brabham BT52

Beautiful photo. Had that car on my Scalextric set as a kid. It was minus a snapped off rear wing and is probably still sat somewhere in a cupboard in my Dad's house along with a few other things that might be approaching 'vintage' status.

Anyway, back on topic, nice little article here on the attempt to close the field up on aero development. Wind tunnel and CFD numbers in here.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-extra-wind-tunnel-running/
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2322 on: June 28, 2022, 10:40:15 am »
F1 condemns Nelson Piquet's racially abusive language about British driver

Formula 1 has condemned three-time world champion Nelson Piquet for using racially abusive language about Lewis Hamilton.

The 69-year-old Brazilian, who won the world title in 1981, 83 and 87, used a racially offensive term in referring to Hamilton on a Brazilian podcast.

An F1 statement said: "Discriminatory or racist language is unacceptable in any form and has no part in society.

"Lewis is an incredible ambassador for our sport and deserves respect."

It added: "His tireless efforts to increase diversity and inclusion are a lesson to many and something we are committed to at F1."

Piquet was discussing the accident between Hamilton and Red Bull driver Max Verstappen on the first lap of last year's British Grand Prix.

He described the incident as "a joke", said Hamilton had been "lucky" only Verstappen crashed, and used a swear word in expressing his opinion that Hamilton had made a mistake.

This weekend's British Grand Prix is the first anniversary of the incident, which was one of a series between the two drivers as they disputed last year's world title - a championship decided in controversial circumstances at the 2021 finale in Abu Dhabi.

Hamilton's team Mercedes said: "We condemn in the strongest terms any use of racist or discriminatory language of any kind. Lewis has spearheaded our sport's efforts to combat racism, and he is a true champion of diversity on and off track.

"Together, we share a vision for a diverse and inclusive motorsport, and this incident underlines the fundamental importance of continuing to strive for a brighter future."

Piquet, who is the father of Verstappen's partner Kelly Piquet, has a history of making unsavoury and unpleasant statements. During his driving career, he publicly questioned Ayrton Senna's sexuality and called his rival "the Sao Paulo taxi driver".

He also made offensive comments about Nigel Mansell and the Briton's wife when they were team-mates at Williams.

He called Hamilton the 'N' word during the interview  :butt :butt
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2323 on: June 28, 2022, 11:09:27 am »
He called Hamilton the 'N' word during the interview  :butt :butt
Jesus, what a vile piece of shit

How anyone can think its acceptable is beyond me.

Verstappen-Piquet family sound just lovely

Edit: Not making excuses but it is kind of falling into the luis suarez mode of people saying he used a term which in Brazil is what something says to a friend. However I doubt Piquet was using it in that context.

Given he used to enjoy making derogatory remarks about his team mates wife then I have no doubt he is being racist
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:12:12 am by paulrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2324 on: June 28, 2022, 11:45:26 am »
Jesus, what a vile piece of shit

How anyone can think its acceptable is beyond me.

Verstappen-Piquet family sound just lovely

Edit: Not making excuses but it is kind of falling into the luis suarez mode of people saying he used a term which in Brazil is what something says to a friend. However I doubt Piquet was using it in that context.

Given he used to enjoy making derogatory remarks about his team mates wife then I have no doubt he is being racist

Listening to the interview as it was subtitled the word that was use was “neguinho “

"The neguinho put the car in the wrong way on the corner, it's because you don't know the curve. It's a very high curve, there is no way to pass two cars and there's no way you can put the car aside. He did [Verstappen] dirty. His luck was that only the other one was gone."

In that context , doesn’t seem the word was used in a friendly manner but more hate imo so racist comment imo
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:49:59 am by rocco »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2325 on: June 28, 2022, 11:56:48 am »
Listening to the interview as it was subtitled the word that was use was “neguinho “

"The neguinho put the car in the wrong way on the corner, it's because you don't know the curve. It's a very high curve, there is no way to pass two cars and there's no way you can put the car aside. He did [Verstappen] dirty. His luck was that only the other one was gone."

In that context , doesn’t seem the word was used in a friendly manner but more hate imo so racist comment imo
Seems to be a player name too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neguinho

Choice of words could have been better whatever way you look at it

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2326 on: June 28, 2022, 01:27:55 pm »

It’s a get out clause imo for  him as it can be used in Brazil to describe a white or coloured person in a infection friendly manner

Felt it was said  it a racist context

But is it debatable ?

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #2327 on: June 28, 2022, 01:38:25 pm »
It’s a get out clause imo for  him as it can be used in Brazil to describe a white or coloured person in a infection friendly manner

But is it debatable ?
No, and it's not surprising considering his behaviour before and his political affiliation.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2328 on: June 28, 2022, 05:32:50 pm »
Red Bull suspends test and reserve driver Juri Vips for using racist language online.

What an idiot, don’t these guys get social media training. 

And now sacked.

Would be interesting if they had taken that step had Nelson Piquet not done what he did

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2329 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:08 pm »

But is it debatable ?
agree

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2330 on: June 28, 2022, 09:08:10 pm »
Nelson Piquet has a history of being a fucking asshole. No surprise, I guarantee he's said a lot worse behind closed doors and this isn't an honest mistake. If it is, well fuck.

Why not call him by his name? He's a 7 time world champion
YNWA

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2331 on: June 29, 2022, 02:43:59 am »

He obviously wasn’t referring to a Brazilian futsal player...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: June 29, 2022, 03:11:43 am »
Piquet is wrong. He should apologize to Hamilton, and then do some sort of racism training, as he has missed years of opportunity to progress, and is out of step in this. 

If he won’t, he should be kicked to touch. No room for this shit, even if he was a great driver in his day.

Offline Metallinick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2333 on: June 29, 2022, 03:16:39 am »
How long before Piquet comes out and says that the N-word means something different in his dialect and part of the world than what the common meaning is? Pretty sure Suarez tried to use that as an excuse in the infamous Evra incident back in 2012. I didn't buy it then, I wouldn't buy it from Piquet now.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2334 on: June 29, 2022, 03:42:25 am »
Deafening silence from Verstappen and RBR. Wonder why.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:33:41 am by Persephone »
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2335 on: June 29, 2022, 07:19:26 am »
He obviously wasn’t referring to a Brazilian futsal player...
never said he was

was just pointing out other uses of that word and what it could mean.

Shit what he did

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2336 on: June 29, 2022, 09:20:40 am »
The Guardian understands F1 will now not allow Piquet access to its races until he publicly apologises and also apologises to Hamilton.

That'll show'em  ::)

Should be an immediate lifetime ban from all races.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2337 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:06 am »
That'll show'em  ::)

Should be an immediate lifetime ban from all races.
His dumbass brother posted that what Nelson Piquet said wasn't bad because it wasn't the n-word that his mother used to use all the time. Then Kelly Piquet liked the post. Toss out the whole racist family, they are not required.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2338 on: June 29, 2022, 10:36:32 am »
Redbull announce they are taking orders for their two seater V8 HyperCar, price £5 million. ;D

https://www.redbulladvancedtechnologies.com/red-bull-advanced-technologies-announces-the-rb17/
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2339 on: June 29, 2022, 10:40:19 am »
His dumbass brother posted that what Nelson Piquet said wasn't bad because it wasn't the n-word that his mother used to use all the time. Then Kelly Piquet liked the post. Toss out the whole racist family, they are not required.
ask them to deliberately crash into a wall, they are good at that

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2340 on: June 29, 2022, 10:49:33 am »

It’s not a good look (and before the usual suspects jump in, nothing to do with Hamilton fanboying)

Piquet is obviously linked to Max, not that he has any influence in what he says. Another test driver done for racism. Max himself didn’t take the knee for BLM, his dad is a pretty unsavory character. I’m not saying there’s some racist manifesto at Red Bull, but I can’t imagine the way their leadership behaves helps to curb it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #2341 on: June 29, 2022, 10:56:47 am »
It’s not a good look (and before the usual suspects jump in, nothing to do with Hamilton fanboying)

Piquet is obviously linked to Max, not that he has any influence in what he says. Another test driver done for racism. Max himself didn’t take the knee for BLM, his dad is a pretty unsavory character. I’m not saying there’s some racist manifesto at Red Bull, but I can’t imagine the way their leadership behaves helps to curb it.
Yep, the inflammatory remarks about Hamilton from Horner & Marko after last year’s Silverstone GP are an example of this.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2342 on: June 29, 2022, 11:15:36 am »

It's not a good look as things stand. If some slight benefit of the doubt could be afforded to Red Bull Racing & key personnel, however, it may be that it's worth waiting until Thursday to make judgements - the 'media day' for most race weekend's. It would have been easy to post an anonymous and unfeeling post yesterday/today, but it may be that they plan to tackle it head-on tomorrow with a firm statement and a declaration of 'no further comment'. I can imagine they feel they've a tricky line to toe between acknowledging & addressing the comments but also distancing themselves from it, and I imagine they'll want to do it in a controlled manner that draws a line under it.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2343 on: June 29, 2022, 11:29:54 am »

Max himself has made some highly derogatory remarks. Plus he until recently used to follow an extremist right wing Dutch politician Gerry Wilders until he was called out for it.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/30230063/mongolia-accuses-f1-verstappen-racist-derogatory-remarks?platform=amp

Helmut Marko, we all know about and Dietrich Mateshitz is a heavily right wing racist. RB are the only team to not come out in support of Lewis, something stinks badly over there.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: June 29, 2022, 11:40:49 am »
Max himself has made some highly derogatory remarks. Plus he until recently used to follow an extremist right wing Dutch politician Gerry Wilders until he was called out for it.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/30230063/mongolia-accuses-f1-verstappen-racist-derogatory-remarks?platform=amp

Helmut Marko, we all know about and Dietrich Mateshitz is a heavily right wing racist. RB are the only team to not come out in support of Lewis, something stinks badly over there.

It's all not rocket science to have a good guess at Max's political views. Of course you can't say it as fact but it all points in one direction doesn't it. I'm surprised he has fans on here to be honest.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2345 on: June 29, 2022, 12:18:03 pm »
It's not rocket science to figure out the majority of F1 drivers' political views.

Pro-tip:

them millionares and live in Monaco :wave

Most of those who do talk some politically correct PR is because their team tell them to.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:19:36 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: June 29, 2022, 12:41:49 pm »
It's not rocket science to figure out the majority of F1 drivers' political views.

Pro-tip:

Most of those who do talk some politically correct PR is because their team tell them to.

Okay, mate.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2347 on: June 29, 2022, 12:46:17 pm »

Pro-tip:

You can be rich and not a racist. Lots of drivers have come out with heartfelt support for Lewis, some are conspicuous with their silence.

It's all not rocket science to have a good guess at Max's political views. Of course you can't say it as fact but it all points in one direction doesn't it. I'm surprised he has fans on here to be honest.
Unfortunately he has fans everywhere, particularly on social media. Lots of them rushing to preserve the "good name" of Piquet.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2348 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:18 pm »
What I mean is that almost all drivers support low-tax policies and only care about social issues as far as money can be thrown. Whether they see Lewis as their mate or not is immaterial to the wider question that very few of F1 drivers would be considered allies to RAWK causes. If you believe that they genuinely are, it's a fair bit naïve.

On social issues I tend to believe that some drivers (Verstappen especially but you could easily include Räikkönen, Sainz and Leclerc) are more right-wing than others though, but to think that most drivers on the grid are the same as the Hollywood actors is not really matching reality. They didn't do arts degrees but rather hung out with the mechanics in the trailer you know. Could you genuinely picture Kimi in arts class? ;D

Then again, if a person opposes general immigration it doesn't mean they can't be mates with black people. So you'll have to view it from a slightly wider lense than that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:08:59 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2349 on: June 29, 2022, 01:12:06 pm »

Predictable considering his vaccination views, but still :D Never let’s anyone down
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2350 on: June 29, 2022, 01:16:42 pm »
Hey Lobo, I still ain't got no covid so have some free hugs mate :D
Linudden.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2351 on: June 29, 2022, 01:17:21 pm »
On social issues I tend to believe that some drivers (Verstappen especially but you could easily include Räikkönen, Sainz and Leclerc) are more right-wing than others though, but to think that most drivers on the grid are the same as the Hollywood actors is not really matching reality. They didn't do arts degrees but rather hung out with the mechanics in the trailer you know. Could you genuinely picture Kimi in arts class? ;D

We could easily include them in your tendency to think something?

What does this mean?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2352 on: June 29, 2022, 01:25:43 pm »
You lot would be surprised as just how apathetic people are to race issues outside of the English-speaking world if we're talking western Europe. It's just like 'don't bring it up and then we'll get along'. It's a strong divide between mainland Europe and Britain on that stuff, it just is what it is. It's true that racism is a genuine issue in Latin America and Eastern Europe but there are many countries in between where people are just like 'we've never been bothered about this, why are you guys bringing this up again?'

Above all, what the past two years have highlighted for me is that sharp divide between two blocks of the western world. In the Swedish language the word 'ras' is extinct, replaced by 'hudfärg' (skin colour) so we don't even talk about it in those terms. Where I live, race as a concept died a long time ago. Incidentally, you'll also be a lot less likely to encounter vocal racism as a black person in Scandinavia than you are in the English-speaking world. It was back in the 90s where a few isolated incidents happened but not lately. So by de-racializing the conversation we must've been doing something right.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:32:15 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2353 on: June 29, 2022, 01:35:07 pm »
Linnuden, if you believe something like this shouldn't be highlighted then just don't comment and dig yourself a hole maybe?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2354 on: June 29, 2022, 01:36:20 pm »
I'm not in a hole. It's just my solution to combat racism: don't give racists attention and de-racialize the language. So long as media in Britain and America talk about 'races' when there's one humanity there's bound to be more problems than solutions coming out of such discourse.
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2355 on: June 29, 2022, 01:42:22 pm »
Deary me :duh

Don’t highlight racism, just let the racists roam free. It’s certainly a novel idea Linudden.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2356 on: June 29, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
And like clockwork

Nelson Piquet apologises to Lewis Hamilton over comments but denies racial intent

Nelson Piquet has apologised "wholeheartedly" to Lewis Hamilton but "strongly condemns any suggestion" he racially abused Formula 1's seven-time world champion, claiming his comments have been mis-translated.

"I would like to clear up the stories circulating in the media about a comment I made in an interview last year," read a statement from the sport's former three-time champion on Wednesday.

"What I said was ill thought out, and I make no defence for it, but I will clarify that the term used is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for 'guy' or 'person' and was never intended to offend.

"I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations. I strongly condemn any suggestion that the word was used by me with the aim of belittling a driver because of his skin colour.

"I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone that was affected, including Lewis, who is an incredible driver, but the translation in some media that is now circulating on social media is not correct. Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12642512/nelson-piquet-apologises-to-lewis-hamilton-over-comments-but-denies-racial-intent

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2357 on: June 29, 2022, 01:57:26 pm »
It's good that he apologizes and probably more than I thought he would do but come on Nelson, just admit that you fucked up and said some racist shit :duh

Doesn't have to be a racist forever because you were once, it's much better if you've changed your mind but denying you said something racist when you clearly did doesn't strike me as him wanting to redeem himself.
Linudden.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2358 on: June 29, 2022, 02:00:12 pm »
I'm not in a hole. It's just my solution to combat racism: don't give racists attention and de-racialize the language. So long as media in Britain and America talk about 'races' when there's one humanity there's bound to be more problems than solutions coming out of such discourse.

So your answer to racism is to ignore it, and say that there are no races so therefore can be no racism.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2359 on: June 29, 2022, 02:02:11 pm »

Fucking hell  :lmao
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT