Author Topic: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?  (Read 329814 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?
« Reply #2040 on: August 5, 2022, 07:41:49 pm »
Maybe, just maybe, the police officers on duty were well trained and recognized that opening fire on “protesters” would have made the situation even worse. I don’t think it had anything to do with race, this time. Not every single American police officer is a racist, homicidal maniac.
Some officers have said that and I believe them but would the capital building have been left so undefended if they knew the demonstrators would be black. completely different ball game, we might have seen a different reaction, how it was their sworn duty to defend the Capital building.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: August 5, 2022, 10:44:30 pm »
Dread to think what might have happened if more of these so-called protestors had been armed, as Trump wished them to be.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2042 on: August 9, 2022, 05:27:34 pm »
Trying to make a smart arsed comment but jesus fucking christ some kinda stupid.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-scott-52-weeks-abortion_n_62f16046e4b0c550161c79ba

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: August 9, 2022, 05:51:53 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2044 on: August 9, 2022, 06:03:56 pm »
Trying to make a smart arsed comment but jesus fucking christ some kinda stupid.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-scott-52-weeks-abortion_n_62f16046e4b0c550161c79ba

Was he talking about hippopotamuses or elephants or some other creatures with long gestation periods?

Or is he just congenitally stupid?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2045 on: August 10, 2022, 04:31:51 pm »

He'd give Dorries a run for her money.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: August 10, 2022, 09:59:58 pm »
So it turns out the "Based Mike Lee" twitter account is actually Mike Lee's personal account, per
@sltrib

This means a sitting US senator has, likely for the first time ever, claimed to be "bussin"

https://sltrib.com/news/politics/2022/08/09/what-utahs-members-congress-are/

https://twitter.com/sambrodey/status/1557378600839553024?s=20&t=S1gT7de5sM1LD47Ue3Ys1g

The people running this country are the dumbest in the world.  :lmao
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2047 on: August 14, 2022, 12:15:58 am »
https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-queen-canada-orders-followers-arrest-ontario-police-officers-1733084

A group of sovereign citizens/Qanon types who believe that the Canadian government was overthrown a few years ago, and the country is now led by a small woman named Queen Romana Didulo, today decided to go and perform citizens' arrests on an entire police station in Canada. This was apparently instigated by one of her followers with a grudge, but she amplified his message and commanded as many of her followers as possible to head there, promising that her special forces would be along to take the police into custody. In a surprise twist, she even turned up herself in the RV she bought with donations, though I didn't see any footage of her leaving it.

For a few hours, the police just ignored them, until a couple of them (including the grudgebearer) wandered into a restricted area by a side door, at which point they were promptly arrested. This kicked off ugly scenes, as followers (including one wearing a shirt saying "Show Love") spewed vitriol into the faces of officers forming a cordon around the arrested men.

You can see some footage of the later part here (the noble Queen herself saw the fracas and quickly got her inner circle away from it all).

https://twitter.com/CarymaRules/status/1558548020337197056

This is Canada, not the US. Romana Didulo's lunatics are their own special breed who take in Qanon and Covid denial etc, I don't usually see much about their opinion on Trump (in fact, they've recently taken to posting about the US government falling, and a new 'King David Carlson' taking power there). But this is the level of crazy that's out there, and what they're willing to do - based on nothing more than deranged internet celebrities ramping up their hysteria.

Oh, and if you're a Romana follower concerned about the arrested men, don't be. A cloaked spaceship stopped over the top of the police station at her request and is dealing with things (yes, that's a real claim she made on Telegram. No, it doesn't seem to dissuade her followers).

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: August 14, 2022, 12:46:23 am »
https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-queen-canada-orders-followers-arrest-ontario-police-officers-1733084
Perhaps there will come a time when the public will require lessons and be licensed to access the Internet. Clearly, some people are just too ill-equipped to handle it. Or, perhaps, we need to define this behaviour as a mental illness.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2049 on: August 14, 2022, 02:21:08 am »
Marjorie Taylor Greene believes generating electricity from “wind turbines and solar panels” will result in the loss of air conditioning and home appliances.

Greene: “I like the lights on. I want to stay up later at night. I don’t want to have to go to bed when the sun sets.”

How does one even begin to deal with this level of stupid?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2050 on: August 14, 2022, 01:58:15 pm »

She really is a special kind of awful. She can't wait for the next news cycle to bring her something she can take a ridiculous one sided stance on.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: August 14, 2022, 03:14:04 pm »

Easy. You filter out early. People do this for schools man in putting the best students in the top class, at an age when the kids haven't even figured out why it's important. Goes without saying for well run companies, where background checks are fairly thorough to assess character, and probationary periods go on longer than what's officially stated.

Yet for picking the people that are to impact the fate of all of us in their decisions, the biggest filter-requiring situation of all, you just let them through. It's pathetic.

You can't filter for character through a written test, but if your political leader is going to be a poisonous c*nt, he / she can be a competent for the relevant fields, poisonous c*nt at minimum. That you can work with, till you can improve on him / her.

The Trump / Greene level of garbage is irredeemable, you can only improve by removing it.

Make all of them pass exams on areas, subjects relevant to a management of a country, administered by an independent body every few years, based on the election cycle. Idiots like this one, Trump get filtered out.

I would do the same for voters, heavily, life changing-ly incentivised, and make voting (ie undertaking that exam, and to vote if you pass) compulsory.

The solution is clear, you simply don't hear of the will to make it happen. You don't have a filtering mechanism for both nominee and voter, every few years you're open to insane, unnecessary volatility. It's great for markets, for people looking for opportunities but you really don't need to risk the futures of the general population by leaving the door open for garbage that lacks the basic mental level.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:29:44 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: August 17, 2022, 03:48:24 am »
As predicted Liz Cheney has lost her preselection to a Trumpster. Obviously, it's no longer the GOP but the Trump Party.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2053 on: August 17, 2022, 04:24:02 am »
No surprise, if you don’t suck trumps tiny cock , you get booted. Republican Party only in name, just change it to the cult of trump

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2054 on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:55 am »

What will be left when Trump is dead?

Will the kids inherit the cult? Will tribute acts step up and continue the path he went down like the people we have here pining for the imaginary glory days of Thatcher? The fact that normal people have sold their souls to THAT GUY is incomprehensible.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: August 17, 2022, 09:06:54 am »
No surprise, if you don’t suck trumps tiny cock , you get booted. Republican Party only in name, just change it to the cult of trump

The Republican Party began it's change in about 2010, laying the foundations for someone like Trump to lead it.  Trump is just a figurehead - a representative of US nationalism, climate denial, racism etc.

When you have a political syetm such as the one in the US, and one of the two parties has been infiltrated in such a way, you are in very serious trouble!

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #2056 on: August 17, 2022, 11:01:53 am »
The US reminds me of the Weimar republic in the 30s. Sleepwalking its way to totalitarianism by a small rabid bunch via democratic processes while everyone just shrugs and possibly even says, “Maybe it won’t be as bad as everyone says.”
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2057 on: August 17, 2022, 12:11:52 pm »
Would be interesting to know what chances a "third" party might have, if regular Republicans decided to go on their own. I would imagine there'd be enough people to vote for them. Problem is that if the electorate is 50-50 between reps and dems, it would be 50-30-20 or something like that between dems, normal reps and nutter reps (don't know whether the 30 would be normal reps or nutter reps) which makes it hard to start that "third" party because you'll not be in power for quite a while when with the status quo you still have a say even if the party is run by nutters...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:14:02 pm by stoa »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2058 on: August 17, 2022, 12:22:56 pm »
Would be interesting to know what chances a "third" party might have, if regular Republicans decided to go on their own. I would imagine there'd be enough people to vote for them. Problem is that if the electorate is 50-50 between reps and dems, it would be 50-30-20 or something like that between dems, normal reps and nutter reps (don't know whether the 30 would be normal reps or nutter reps) which makes it hard to start that "third" party because you'll not be in power for quite a while when with the status quo you still have a say even if the party is run by nutters...

The US already has the Libertarians running in every state on a low-tax, small government platform, and they amassed just under 1.2% of the 2020 vote. It's hard to see how a new 'Non Nutter' Republican party would fit in between that the Trumpists, given that they wouldn't have access to all the existing big guns of the GOP infrastructure (not just the personalities in the party and media, but they big conventions, sponsorships etc).

There's a reason (in 2 party FPTP systems) why political movements try to takeover existing electable parties via internal coup rather than just split and form their own. Even if you represent the thoughts of about 30-40% of your tent, you won't take those voters with you when you leave. It just never works that way.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2059 on: August 17, 2022, 12:30:24 pm »
Liz Cheney getting dumped out by a Trump supporter is a little worrying.

Makes me wonder if Trump runs again if he will have a real chance.

There are still plenty of people in my area who have Trump signs in the front yard.

Offline KMKYWAP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2060 on: August 17, 2022, 01:09:17 pm »

There are still plenty of people in my area who have Trump signs in the front yard.

He doesn't

The core of the cult still exists but its dwindling

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: August 17, 2022, 01:09:21 pm »

I think there is a good chance that Cheney will run as a third candidate in the 2024 election. She could run as a Republican candidate in the primaries, but she'd stand no chance of winning. But if 5-10% of usual Republican voters instead voted for Cheney over the official Republican candidate for POTUS, the GOP are truly screwed.

Irrespective, this still leaves the House and Senate. I would not care to hazard a guess for those, not even for the mid-terms.

Cheney is as Republican/Conservative as they come. She holds many views which are completely contrary to my own. She will vote for things I find reprehensible. However, she has clear red lines she will not cross - she will not compromise herself, even when all those around her are willing (even eager) to do so. For that, she has my measured respect.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2062 on: August 17, 2022, 01:46:18 pm »
Cheney is as Republican/Conservative as they come. She holds many views which are completely contrary to my own. She will vote for things I find reprehensible. However, she has clear red lines she will not cross - she will not compromise herself, even when all those around her are willing (even eager) to do so. For that, she has my measured respect.

"In the run-up to the 2016 election, Liz Cheney issued a dire warning. The future of American democracy, and the nation’s place as a symbol of freedom to the world, was on the ballot. If voters chose poorly, she told Rush Limbaugh, the next president “would be the most corrupt individual ever to sit in the Oval Office.”

She was referring, of course, to Hillary Clinton."

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/08/liz-cheney-defeated-by-harriet-hagerman-wyoming-primary-donald-trump/

"From 2017 to 2021, Cheney voted in line with Trump's position around 93% of the time, supporting him more consistently in House votes than many House Republican members, even his former chief of staff Mark Meadows. In 2019, according to the New York Times, Cheney publicly feuded with Rand Paul over who was "Trumpier". According to The Atlantic, she was a "loyal Trumpist" and helped build "the party of Trump" at that time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Cheney

She was happy with Trump right up until Jan 6. Think of all the shitty things he did up until then. She even voted against his first impeachment when he tried to blackmail Ukraine.

I have enjoyed her Jan 6 role but I'm not kidding myself. She's only marginally less terrible than the rest of them.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #2063 on: August 17, 2022, 02:18:50 pm »
What will be left when Trump is dead?

Will the kids inherit the cult?
Well mate I'm sure you've heard of the next batch in waiting like DeSantis. I think the mistake to be made here is that at times too much focus is made on Trump, and not enough on the movement itself.

An unpopular opinion here I know, but I don't think enough is being made by the Democrats or Republicans to bridge any gaps for the common voter or the middle ground, and the US as a result is being polarized ever more.

Since Trump, it doesn't seem to matter which administration follows in the years to come, it seems as though they're all digging in further to their side, and the US as a whole is weaker for it.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2064 on: August 17, 2022, 02:41:41 pm »
An unpopular opinion here I know, but I don't think enough is being made by the Democrats or Republicans to bridge any gaps for the common voter or the middle ground, and the US as a result is being polarized ever more.

One side wants people to have access to healthcare, the other side wants to force ten year old rape victims to give birth.

One side wants to ensure as many people as possible get to vote, the other side staged a violent insurrection.

Where's your middle ground there?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: August 17, 2022, 02:43:28 pm »
I think there is a good chance that Cheney will run as a third candidate in the 2024 election. She could run as a Republican candidate in the primaries, but she'd stand no chance of winning. But if 5-10% of usual Republican voters instead voted for Cheney over the official Republican candidate for POTUS, the GOP are truly screwed.

Irrespective, this still leaves the House and Senate. I would not care to hazard a guess for those, not even for the mid-terms.

I doubt she'd run third party.  She is indeed as Republican as they come, so why would she hurt her own party?  If it's someone like DeSantis that's running in the primary or has won the primary, she'll either stay out of it or endorse him.  Like in a DeSantis-Trump primary, she'd almost certainly endorse DeSantis and call him a "patriot who will restore the right conservative politics to the country" or something like that.  If Trump somehow gets the nomination, there's a slight chance she could run, but I still doubt it.
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2066 on: August 17, 2022, 02:54:23 pm »
One side wants people to have access to healthcare, the other side wants to force ten year old rape victims to give birth.

One side wants to ensure as many people as possible get to vote, the other side staged a violent insurrection.

Where's your middle ground there?
Well, keep looking at it in that reductive way and good luck finding the middle ground.

I've made my opinion on Trump quite clear and the Republicans by extension. There will always be a hardcrore element in there that can't be reached, but if you don't think more could be done (by both parties) to reach the middle ground where most Americans reside, then the next decade or more will be fun.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2067 on: August 17, 2022, 03:02:43 pm »
The issue with Liz Cheney is that she couldn't read the room for what the hardcore conservative Wyoming voters wanted so it would've been a lot smarter for her to retire with the dignity intact at the end of this term rather than dealing with this. Doesn't matter how pro-life, pro-gun et cetera she is when she got the MAGA mob mad and failed to retire in time. Running in this primary was a waste of her time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 03:05:24 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: August 17, 2022, 03:02:53 pm »
"In the run-up to the 2016 election, Liz Cheney issued a dire warning. The future of American democracy, and the nation’s place as a symbol of freedom to the world, was on the ballot. If voters chose poorly, she told Rush Limbaugh, the next president “would be the most corrupt individual ever to sit in the Oval Office.”

She was referring, of course, to Hillary Clinton."

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/08/liz-cheney-defeated-by-harriet-hagerman-wyoming-primary-donald-trump/

"From 2017 to 2021, Cheney voted in line with Trump's position around 93% of the time, supporting him more consistently in House votes than many House Republican members, even his former chief of staff Mark Meadows. In 2019, according to the New York Times, Cheney publicly feuded with Rand Paul over who was "Trumpier". According to The Atlantic, she was a "loyal Trumpist" and helped build "the party of Trump" at that time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Cheney

She was happy with Trump right up until Jan 6. Think of all the shitty things he did up until then. She even voted against his first impeachment when he tried to blackmail Ukraine.

I have enjoyed her Jan 6 role but I'm not kidding myself. She's only marginally less terrible than the rest of them.
Perhaps, you should reread my post!? I think you will find that we are in agreement. ;)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: August 17, 2022, 03:09:03 pm »
I doubt she'd run third party.  She is indeed as Republican as they come, so why would she hurt her own party?  If it's someone like DeSantis that's running in the primary or has won the primary, she'll either stay out of it or endorse him.  Like in a DeSantis-Trump primary, she'd almost certainly endorse DeSantis and call him a "patriot who will restore the right conservative politics to the country" or something like that.  If Trump somehow gets the nomination, there's a slight chance she could run, but I still doubt it.
I agree with most of your post. But, If Trump runs (which seems highly likely), I think she will run her own presidential campaign (not as a GOP candidate). If Trump should become the Republican nominee, she will go forward with her campaign. If Trump should not become the nominee, she likely will drop out at that stage.

I agree that DeSantis is a terrible threat the US and its democratic institutions. I have no idea what Cheney's views are of him in regard to being a threat to democracy. She might well be on board with him. She's no moderate after all.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:35 pm »
Well, keep looking at it in that reductive way and good luck finding the middle ground.

I've made my opinion on Trump quite clear and the Republicans by extension. There will always be a hardcrore element in there that can't be reached, but if you don't think more could be done (by both parties) to reach the middle ground where most Americans reside, then the next decade or more will be fun.
The game has changed. We either play the game which is there in front of us, or we may as well abstain.

I am not suggesting that the present situation is anything but terrible, but it is what it is. When one side are willing to do anything, we cannot play nice and deny what's happening. The electorate are divided because nearly 50% of voting Americans have gone off the deep end. Most of the other 50% have reacted very negatively to this. This divide is real and deep.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2071 on: August 17, 2022, 03:13:00 pm »
Perhaps, you should reread my post!? I think you will find that we are in agreement. ;)

Apologies, I thought you were giving her more credit than she deserves!

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: August 17, 2022, 03:21:27 pm »
The issue with Liz Cheney is that she couldn't read the room for what the hardcore conservative Wyoming voters wanted so it would've been a lot smarter for her to retire with the dignity intact at the end of this term rather than dealing with this. Doesn't matter how pro-life, pro-gun et cetera she is when she got the MAGA mob mad and failed to retire in time. Running in this primary was a waste of her time.
What? Cheney knows full well the situation in Wyoming. She has been the representative for there for a good many years. She 'read the room' and stood anyway. She appears (as per her somewhat vague statements) to have her eye on something else (political). And her 'losing' there was a platform for her state her position. You don't have to agree with her general political views (I don't) to understand what she's doing.

Many other 'never-Trumpers' have simply slipped away, without as much as a squeak. No. Better to make some noise. I see nothing wrong with her standing in this primary election.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: August 17, 2022, 03:23:52 pm »
Apologies, I thought you were giving her more credit than she deserves!
She has my measured request for her outstanding work on the Committee. I am glad that she used the primary as platform to highlight all that is wrong with Trump and the GOP. I'd struggle to find anything else I like about her and her politics. I am just trying to give credit where it is deserved - no more than that.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2074 on: August 17, 2022, 04:41:38 pm »
What? Cheney knows full well the situation in Wyoming. She has been the representative for there for a good many years. She 'read the room' and stood anyway. She appears (as per her somewhat vague statements) to have her eye on something else (political). And her 'losing' there was a platform for her state her position. You don't have to agree with her general political views (I don't) to understand what she's doing.

Many other 'never-Trumpers' have simply slipped away, without as much as a squeak. No. Better to make some noise. I see nothing wrong with her standing in this primary election.

She's not really a never-Trumper when it comes to policy though, voted with him was it 95 or 97 % of the time? I doubt her sincerity in all this, seems more like a PR exercise to rehabilitate the Cheney name since her father should've been prosecuted for war crimes. Thinking that the orange psycho is a weirdo is the lowest bar of all time, mind. The only way she'd gain my respect is if she denounced the Iraq war to her dad's face. Which she won't do since she's a pro-war military fanatic.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:21:47 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2075 on: August 17, 2022, 04:45:55 pm »
Funny thing is with all this, it looks like the States is a frenetic mental place to live and work.

I've been plenty of times (Just on holiday) and always had a great time, have never had any trouble, every American I spoke to was absolutely sound and it always feels safe.

Have things changed in the last couple of years, but if you're a tourist are you still pretty safe if you're as cautious as you should be when you visit anywhere?

I suspect that as I go to places like San Francisco, Hawaii, New York, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and the like - they are used to tourists and like the money we bring in - are these big Trump voters (I Seem to remember that Florida is) and are most of the knobheads insular country bumpkins who still have a black and white TV and few teeth?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: August 17, 2022, 05:12:57 pm »
It's a strange old place as go to New York and the average voter is Democrat but many of the wealthy there run to Florida where they reside for 6 plus months of the year to avoid the higher taxes. They turn their backs on the state that allowed them to make a healthy living and end up in the armpit of America voting Republican as they hate the idea of higher taxes. God forbid their inflated bank accounts might be siphoned off to pay for a decent welfare system.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: August 17, 2022, 05:17:31 pm »
Funny thing is with all this, it looks like the States is a frenetic mental place to live and work.

I've been plenty of times (Just on holiday) and always had a great time, have never had any trouble, every American I spoke to was absolutely sound and it always feels safe.
My experience is the same, and I've also lived there for an extended period.

The people -on the ground level- are mostly worried about employment and inflation.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2078 on: August 17, 2022, 05:39:36 pm »
She's not really a never-Trumper when it comes to policty though, voted with him was it 95 or 97 % of the time? I doubt her sincerity in all this, seems more like a PR exercise to rehabilitate the Cheney name since her father should've been prosecuted for war crimes. Thinking that the orange psycho is a weirdo is the lowest bar of all time, mind. The only way she'd gain my respect is if she denounced the Iraq war to her dad's face. Which she won't do since she's a pro-war military fanatic.
'Never-Trumper' refers to not voting for or supporting Trump's candidacy. It does not refer to never voting for the same policies he supports. The meaning of never-Trump is unambiguous.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: August 17, 2022, 05:43:47 pm »
I've done a few long road trips down south when i first came over but i'd be wary about doing the same now.the shiteness of trump and the madness of the gun states along with the social media bollox.I did enjoy hitting the backroads but just dunno now.