Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3119930 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - END GAME
« Reply #32560 on: June 25, 2022, 07:28:43 am »
I don't understand what is so confusing. The wage in itself is not a problem the problem is
A) You're giving 400K to a player in his 30s what if  his form falls off a cliff a year (for example) into his new contract.
B) The of VVD and Allison may ask for parity are they not just as important as Salah. Any new player you sign may ask for parity.

You're making a rod for your own back and opening Pandora's box and once opened you won't be able to close it again.

United showing themselves to be the perfect example of this now, with new signings wanting huge wages to play for them and failed signings proving difficult to move on.

It's a really tough line to walk though, letting someone like Salah leave on a free does feel like madness, but if the alternative is the weekly wage budget potentially growing by £1 million+ you can see why we'd be desperate to avoid it. It's just a shame we likely won't be able to move him on for a big fee, but I guess that's the price we pay for getting his peak years.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #32561 on: June 25, 2022, 07:35:04 am »
United showing themselves to be the perfect example of this now, with new signings wanting huge wages to play for them and failed signings proving difficult to move on.

It's a really tough line to walk though, letting someone like Salah leave on a free does feel like madness, but if the alternative is the weekly wage budget potentially growing by £1 million+ you can see why we'd be desperate to avoid it. It's just a shame we likely won't be able to move him on for a big fee, but I guess that's the price we pay for getting his peak years.

You just have to hope we have a good season and enough money in the bank to secure a Salah replacement (Nkunku will have a £51m release clause) and Bellingham without having to make a significant sale.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:13:18 am by spider-neil »

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32562 on: June 25, 2022, 07:51:31 am »
You just have to hope we have a good season and enough money in the bank to secure a Salah replacement (Nkunku will have a £51m release clause) and Bellingham with having to make a significant sale.

The money situation is hard to guess, if you count Diaz as a summer signing then we've spent a fair bit, but if Salah goes then between him, Mane, Minamino and a few squad players, we've probably brought the wage budget down a lot too. Assuming we stick to the approach of bringing in new players on £100-150 k/week, maybe we're okay with overspending a bit on transfers now, knowing we'll cover the installments in wages saved.

Our income is growing every season too.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32563 on: June 25, 2022, 08:14:44 am »
The money situation is hard to guess, if you count Diaz as a summer signing then we've spent a fair bit, but if Salah goes then between him, Mane, Minamino and a few squad players, we've probably brought the wage budget down a lot too. Assuming we stick to the approach of bringing in new players on £100-150 k/week, maybe we're okay with overspending a bit on transfers now, knowing we'll cover the installments in wages saved.

Also, with the new signings being so low you know you're securing your long term future.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32564 on: June 25, 2022, 08:22:06 am »
Newcastle have offered around 40m Euros for Diaby apparently. Diaby open to a move but not to Newcastle. He figures quite neatly on the stats posted in the Klopp Template thread, as does Olise. 

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32565 on: June 25, 2022, 08:31:07 am »
If you'd said to me a year ago we're going to let Salah and Mane go but retaining Milner, Keita and Firmino I'd have said you're fucking joking me.

Personally I'd have been using the likes of Keita, Ox, Firmino and Milner's wages to bump Salah and Mane's wages up since they've been our main match winners for several years now but the club has taken a different direction - got to hope it's the right one

But we haven’t done that have we, in your little scenario you’ve completely discounted that we’ve signed both Diaz and Nunez who are players on the pathway to being elite players. Not to mention, you’d be the first poster to complain about the club if Salah or Mané got hurt and we sold off the depth that sits underneath them.

The club clearly know what they’re doing. As many posters have pointed out in the earlier pages, the club isn’t going to fall into the trap of being held to ransom by pre-agents like United have with the likes of De Gea and Pogba. Any player that leaves on a free would’ve provided great value over the course of their time with us. If someone leaves on a free, we’ve probably had them for below-market value wages for the last 18-24 months of their deal. Not that you want to lose every player on a free but we’ve shown we’re not afraid to lose the odd player on a free if we can’t reach a happy medium with them on a renewal. Our revenues are that massive these days that we could easily have Mo leave on a Bosman and then drop €60m on Nkunku’s release clause and not be much worse off financially.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32566 on: June 25, 2022, 08:45:48 am »
Newcastle have offered around 40m Euros for Diaby apparently. Diaby open to a move but not to Newcastle. He figures quite neatly on the stats posted in the Klopp Template thread, as does Olise.

One of the players i'd like us to be looking at to eventually replace some of Mo's output if/when he goes,think Nkunku's likely going to PSG as he's hinted.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32567 on: June 25, 2022, 09:08:42 am »
You just have to hope we have a good season and enough money in the bank to secure a Salah replacement (Nkunku will have a £51m release clause) and Bellingham without having to make a significant sale.

Just on this- our revenues have grown significantly over the past few years and there will be plenty of extra cash coming in next summer too. The shirt sponsorship is expected to double bringing in an additional £40m/ year and the Annie Road will open and bring another £10-15m for example. Those two will be enough to finance say Bellingham and Nkunku at £150m plus both on wages of £170k per week for example

We are at a completely different financial level then when we had to sell Coutinho to fund a transformation. The money I think is there to invest in a big player or a couple of good players to bulk the squad each season as required

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #32568 on: June 25, 2022, 09:50:51 am »

We have to be able to afford Salah too, in case he does stay.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32569 on: June 25, 2022, 10:01:52 am »
We have to be able to afford Salah too, in case he does stay.

I know, what I meant was that we could cover the cost of a Salah replacement with the saved wages, but if we don't need to replace him then even better!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #32570 on: June 25, 2022, 10:50:56 am »
But we haven’t done that have we, in your little scenario you’ve completely discounted that we’ve signed both Diaz and Nunez who are players on the pathway to being elite players. Not to mention, you’d be the first poster to complain about the club if Salah or Mané got hurt and we sold off the depth that sits underneath them.

The club clearly know what they’re doing. As many posters have pointed out in the earlier pages, the club isn’t going to fall into the trap of being held to ransom by pre-agents like United have with the likes of De Gea and Pogba. Any player that leaves on a free would’ve provided great value over the course of their time with us. If someone leaves on a free, we’ve probably had them for below-market value wages for the last 18-24 months of their deal. Not that you want to lose every player on a free but we’ve shown we’re not afraid to lose the odd player on a free if we can’t reach a happy medium with them on a renewal. Our revenues are that massive these days that we could easily have Mo leave on a Bosman and then drop €60m on Nkunku’s release clause and not be much worse off financially.

I mean I was one of the only people saying Nunez would be a good signing while most of the forum were dubbing him the new Andy Carroll so your insinuation that I'm the first to be negative or whatever is wrong and uncalled for.

My wider point is it makes little sense to retain Firmino yet let Salah and Mane go - if we don't want players to decline on our books then it should be a widespread policy.

In my personal opinion we should have been looking to use some of these pLyers' wages to bump Mane and Salah up because they're going to be very difficult to replace. Thankfully it looks like we have signed two very good players to do so but I'd still rather have Mane and Salah around than Firmino and another for example. Obviously we don't have unlimited wages but we seem to dish out inflated wages to less talented players at times yet draw the line at our best ones...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:52:57 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32571 on: June 25, 2022, 10:57:03 am »
I don't think Firmino or Milner is stopping us from paying/offering Salah or Mane more.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32572 on: June 25, 2022, 11:03:11 am »
If Salah AND Firmino leave you have to replace two players not just one. If Firmino is open to a rolling contract similar to Milner then only have to deal with getting one forward next summer. It will also give Kaide Gordon time to mature.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32573 on: June 25, 2022, 11:05:49 am »
If Salah AND Firmino leave you have to replace two players not just one. If Firmino is open to a rolling contract similar to Milner then only have to deal with getting one forward next summer. It will also give Kaide Gordon time to mature.
Depends on Carvalho really, who I assume we rate high and expect to contribute. Already have Jota, Nunez and Diaz and Carvalho as forward options. I love us having attacking options but.you don't need 6 first team level players for 3 positions

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32574 on: June 25, 2022, 11:06:08 am »
I don't think Firmino or Milner is stopping us from paying/offering Salah or Mane more.

We don't have unlimited wages. Our policy seems to be to have a fairly level playing field when it comes to wages which has clearly helped create a positive atmosphere and successful squad so is difficult to argue with.

However, it will make retaining our best players difficult as we are seeing now. We're lucky VVD and Alisson aren't greedy characters and seem to love playing for us because they could clearly be earning a lot more elsewhere.

I think we could have more squad players in the 50-80k region let's say rather than the 100-150 region we seem to have at the moment and that would allow us to push our top earners up higher.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32575 on: June 25, 2022, 11:41:24 am »
Firmino has let it be known he will take a reduction to stay. Milner has already taken a reduction in wages to stay. The equation isn't 'what could we afford to throw at Salah if we got rid?' but 'is their contribution to the squad (in the widest sense, including morale and camaraderie) worth their pay cheque?'

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32576 on: June 25, 2022, 11:55:11 am »
What would the percentage be on £100m?

You'd assume most companies doing this would have seen Barca as fairly reliable and unlikely to default.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32577 on: June 25, 2022, 11:57:23 am »

I think City will have some issues this season especially away games, they won't be as good in possession as before IMO. Also Haaland will need some time to adjust and won't be surprising to see him miss many games because of injuries.

So really hope we go for a midfielder. Our back line is settled, we can afford to give Nunez time because we have Diaz, Salah, Jota who are all proven. It's just the right side of the midfield where we can improve big even if it means loaning Harvey or Jones.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32578 on: June 25, 2022, 11:57:50 am »
Obviously we don't have unlimited wages but we seem to dish out inflated wages to less talented players at times yet draw the line at our best ones...

Which players are you specifically referring to here?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32579 on: June 25, 2022, 12:11:05 pm »
Which players are you specifically referring to here?

Ox, Keita, and Milner and Hendo in footballing terms. We've been paying them over 500k a week basic yet it's widely discussed on here how the midfield is the weakest part of our team.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32580 on: June 25, 2022, 12:18:07 pm »
Ox, Keita, and Milner and Hendo in footballing terms. We've been paying them over 500k a week basic yet it's widely discussed on here how the midfield is the weakest part of our team.

Okay so say you sold/didn't re-new these players and thus had to replace half the midfield, where an earth are you getting 4 midfielders of comparable quality for much less than that in base wages?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #32581 on: June 25, 2022, 12:20:28 pm »

You just can't let it go about Henderson and Milner can you? Despite the fact that the manager wanted both players continuing, but you know better apparently.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32582 on: June 25, 2022, 12:22:22 pm »
You just can't let it go about Henderson and Milner can you? Despite the fact that the manager wanted both players continuing, but you know better apparently.

Not to mention Milner took a significant paycut to stay onboard...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #32583 on: June 25, 2022, 12:23:10 pm »
Not to mention Milner took a significant paycut to stay onboard...

I'd forgotten that fact, but you know those who hate must hate...
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32584 on: June 25, 2022, 12:27:51 pm »

It's clear Klopp values Milner and Henderson a lot, both for their very real footballing ability and for the standards they set for the other players - and that's been a vital component of our successes in recent years. Klopp obviously values Keita and Firmino as well and he seems to know what he's doing, thank God.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32585 on: June 25, 2022, 12:33:24 pm »

And yet we challenge for honours and get over 90 points. Obviously, this is 'despite' them. If they are so superfluous why have their contracts been extended or in the process of being extended (Ox aside)? Let me guess, it's because Klopp, the coaching staff and FSG are stupid.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32586 on: June 25, 2022, 12:38:32 pm »
We don't have unlimited wages. Our policy seems to be to have a fairly level playing field when it comes to wages which has clearly helped create a positive atmosphere and successful squad so is difficult to argue with.

However, it will make retaining our best players difficult as we are seeing now. We're lucky VVD and Alisson aren't greedy characters and seem to love playing for us because they could clearly be earning a lot more elsewhere.

I think we could have more squad players in the 50-80k region let's say rather than the 100-150 region we seem to have at the moment and that would allow us to push our top earners up higher.
At the lower and top end of those estimates that's about £5m a year or likely 1/100th or less of our revenue. Again just don't think that's stopping us paying Salah what him and his agent are demanding.

And that's before you get in to how good a player can you attract and for how long can you keep players happy on what is near Premier League average wages
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:45:05 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32587 on: June 25, 2022, 01:13:17 pm »

Henderson is a great player, every squad in the country would want him, the champions have just bought a far inferior player in Kalvin Philips.  Milner is a Swiss Army knife of a player, invaluable.

Keita, well that’s open for debate.  Flashes of brilliance and he’s a completely different player to what we needs consistency and fitness, but there is a player there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:16:02 pm by Hedley Lamarr »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32588 on: June 25, 2022, 01:19:11 pm »
Okay so say you sold/didn't re-new these players and thus had to replace half the midfield, where an earth are you getting 4 midfielders of comparable quality for much less than that in base wages?

You could quite easily have three players on probably half that combined total for a similar output. But that wasn't really my point, which was I'd sooner have let Firmino, Keita, Milner and Ox's contracts run out and use their wages to bump Salah and Mane up while bringing a midfielder or two in.

That's idealistically talking of course, who knows whether it'd even have been possible, but every choice we make in terms of renewing or not has a knock-on affect on another player, too. I'm not sure we've been getting that as right as we have bringing new talent into the club during Klopp's reign.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:20:44 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32589 on: June 25, 2022, 01:19:28 pm »
Henderson is a great player, every squad in the country would want him, the champions have just bought a far inferior player in Kalvin Philips.  Milner is a Swiss Army knife of a player, invaluable.

Keita, well that’s open for debate.  Flashes of brilliance and he’s a completely different player to what we needs consistency and fitness, but there is a player there.

The club obviously thinks so or they wouldn't offer him an extension.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32590 on: June 25, 2022, 01:22:37 pm »

Except, football is so much more than we can see during the games as spectators. There is a reason why Henderson and Milner are the Captain and the Vice-Captain of the team that has won everything in club football, and is about to win more ...

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32591 on: June 25, 2022, 01:25:58 pm »
Except, football is so much more than we can see during the games as spectators. There is a reason why Henderson and Milner are the Captain and the Vice-Captain of the team that has won everything in club football, and is about to win more ...

Of course. They're clearly great human beings and good footballers, but I'm not sure they were quite worth the wages we last renewed them at (Milner's previous contract, not the one he signed this summer as no one seems to have any real idea what it is) when we seem to be hard-balling everyone else about to turn 30 or already at that stage of their careers, and could do with renovating the midfield.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #32592 on: June 25, 2022, 01:29:54 pm »
Of course. They're clearly great human beings and good footballers, but I'm not sure they were quite worth the wages we last renewed them at (Milner's previous contract, not the one he signed this summer as no one seems to have any real idea what it is) when we seem to be hard-balling everyone else about to turn 30 or already at that stage of their careers, and could do with renovating the midfield.

We’re not ‘hard balling’ anyone, we’re quite simply (I know, it can be difficult) sticking within our wage structure. People like you would have use like United, where they’ve got the likes of De Gea, Ronaldo, Varane, Maguire, Sancho, Rashford etc all on £300k odd a week. Or more. It’s all very well saying ‘oh it’s just for Mane and Salah’ but that’s not how it works.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32593 on: June 25, 2022, 01:34:00 pm »
I don't understand what is so confusing. The wage in itself is not a problem the problem is:
A) You're giving 400K to a player in his 30s what if his form falls off a cliff a year (for example) into his new contract?
B) The likes of VVD and Allison may ask for parity and are they not just as important as Salah? Any new player you sign may ask for parity.

You're making a rod for your own back and opening Pandora's box and once opened you won't be able to close it again.

B.)  The argument for this would land better if Mane and Salah hadn't already just asked for more money than anyone else currently at LFC. What is to stop VVD, eventually Diaz, Trent and Allison doing the same in a yr or 2. If they did we would have let Salah and Mane go for potentially no good reason, if this was one the main reasons.

Sure new players may ask for parity with Mane's potential new LFC deal,  but we generally sign younger players like Nunez/jota/diaz who are unlikely, we rarely go for Thiago types transfers.

So I don't think these are the reasons we let Mane and might let Salah go.  I think we may a tactical and squad morale based decision.   Nunez was going to play and Firmino is more likely to accept being on the bench than Mane. For all the hype about a 5 great forwards last yr, Klopp had a clear preference for this 1st team forwards and their will be a clear preference next season, and it may not have included Mane, now that Nunez has joined

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32594 on: June 25, 2022, 01:36:49 pm »
You could quite easily have three players on probably half that combined total for a similar output.

Name some players then? Because if it was as easy as you make it out, I'm sure there's a job for you at the club.

But that wasn't really my point, which was I'd sooner have let Firmino, Keita, Milner and Ox's contracts run out and use their wages to bump Salah and Mane up while bringing a midfielder or two in.

I'm not even sure what point you're even trying to make. You want to let go of four midfielders (including the captain and vice captain) and "replace them with two" which is completely nonsensical; on top of blowing up the wage structure for two players heading into their 30s.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #32595 on: June 25, 2022, 01:39:49 pm »

Who are these squad players that are going to be happy on 50k while Mo et al. are earning 400k?

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #32596 on: June 25, 2022, 01:41:00 pm »
Who are these squad players that are going to be happy on 50k while Mo et al. are earning 400k?

Someone fire up FIFA or Football Manager and let us know ;D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32597 on: June 25, 2022, 01:42:24 pm »
Name some players then? Because if it was as easy as you make it out, I'm sure there's a job for you at the club.

I'm not even sure what point you're even trying to make. You want to let go of four midfielders (including the captain and vice captain) and "replace them with two" which is completely nonsensical; on top of blowing up the wage structure for two players heading into their 30s.

We very rarely bring anyone into the club on more than around 120k a week. Nunez is reported to be on around that figure despite signing for potentially a club record fee. I think there's a few midfielders out there who could do a good job for us on somewhere around 80k a week on their first deal.

I never said anything about letting the captain go btw, but not sure I'd have been so quick to sign him up on the wages he's on when he's shown clear physical decline in recent seasons. I mean that's the main reason which is given to letting Mane and Salah go...

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32598 on: June 25, 2022, 01:45:47 pm »

For 42-45m buying Phillips is great business by City. You say every squad would like Hendo but Phillips is ahead of him at England and won’t be expecting to start week in week out at City. Them buying Phillips is a good thing though as they will be less likely to be in for Bellingham who is better than Hendo and Phillips.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #32599 on: June 25, 2022, 01:48:08 pm »
Buying Phillips may well be a good thing for Abu Dhabi, but people need to stop using him starting for England as a justification for how good he may be  ;D

Getting picked in a starting 11 by an awful, inept ‘coach’ as Southgate, isn’t a point of reference to how good someone is.