Author Topic: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)  (Read 426677 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)
« Reply #4520 on: April 24, 2024, 10:27:35 pm »
I think that's the tough thing isn't it?  His desire and work rate is amazing.  But he isn't quite Sadio at his peak, and it's an unfair comparison (as Sadio is one of the best wingers the club has ever had) in some ways, but that's the level we hope we can see with Diaz - the work rate and desire with more end product.  But obviously that's a lot, and if Nunez/Salah/Gakpo were more productive, his play would be more lauded (less pressure on him to score).  Nevertheless, that's the dream - a player like Diaz with more composure in the final third, but obviously those don't grow on trees, and Diaz is more than good enough for a role in the future team as of now.

Yep it’s very tough, maybe only Vini fits that template. It’s hard one with Diaz because he is great at a lot of things but the things he isn’t great at happen to be the most important qualities to have in the final third and as a forward for him to fit in I feel like we would probably have to have a striker and wide forward on the right who could guarantee 18-20 goals in the league each season, ideally.

Even just as infuriating as his finishing is probably also the fact he doesn’t really create chances, and his final pass can be poor at times, he can carry the ball but is that enough?

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4521 on: April 24, 2024, 10:27:40 pm »
It's not his job to score goals and he's not a big money number 9.

It is his job to score goals. and to get assists. He occupies an important position in the team and simply does not do enough there.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4522 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:07 pm »
The only decent player tonight.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4523 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:07 pm »
I don’t get posts like these, rightly defend Nunez then go to bash Diaz as if they both aren’t Liverpool players?  ;D

The irony..

People camp out in the Nunez thread absolutely desperate for him to miss a chance so they can declare how shit he is. Look at the mongrels posting before half time. Same shite every day.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4524 on: April 24, 2024, 10:28:13 pm »
I'm not sure this is right. Diaz is part of the problem with our attack - he always looks busy, but does not produce enough.
I fully agree. Cutting inside and going nowhere most of the time.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4525 on: April 24, 2024, 10:29:27 pm »

Misused.

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4526 on: April 24, 2024, 10:30:55 pm »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4527 on: April 24, 2024, 10:31:12 pm »
It is his job to score goals. and to get assists. He occupies an important position in the team and simply does not do enough there.
Ok?
Assists? Who's he giving the ball too? Assists are a two-way street.
Goals? He's more of a facilitator and he's rarely the one on the end of our big chances.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4528 on: April 24, 2024, 10:31:27 pm »
Like him a lotttt. So direct, so dangerous

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4529 on: April 24, 2024, 11:35:09 pm »
Our only player who has the balls to take someone on and getting defenders on the back foot.  Need another on like him on the right side and in midfield. 
We are way way to predictable

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #4530 on: Yesterday at 05:15:51 am »
I prefer him on the right side rather than the left. When he played there a couple of matches back it was great to see. He seemed more at ease in terms of passing and a little bit more free.

He played like a vice-captain today. Energy, drive and never say die.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #4531 on: Yesterday at 09:41:52 am »

And he nearly scored a worldie ffs
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4532 on: Yesterday at 09:44:24 am »
Big decision coming on him this summer.

New contract or sell?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4533 on: Yesterday at 09:45:09 am »
Inevitably our best forward this season is the one whose future is the most uncertain. Tell his Dad to fuck off flirting with every club in Europe and buy players who can supplement the qualities he brings. Hopefully Jota can stay fit. Didn't think I'd say this 6 months ago but the first position I'd look to strengthen in the front 3 would be Salah's (or switch Diaz to the right and bring in a quality LW).

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4534 on: Yesterday at 09:45:16 am »
The only one who can hold their head up high after last night, unlucky not to score second half. Arguably should done better with the first half chance

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4535 on: Yesterday at 09:49:13 am »

I think the bigger worry is his assists - if he isn't scoring he should be assisting more, 4 in the season isn't great.

Diaz looks great these last few games but has looked a bit dodgy this year at times.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4536 on: Yesterday at 09:50:51 am »
I think the bigger worry is his assists - if he isn't scoring he should be assisting more, 4 in the season isn't great.

Diaz looks great these last few games but has looked a bit dodgy this year at times.
If his teammates fluff easy chances then he shouldn't be blamed for not having assists.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4537 on: Yesterday at 09:52:39 am »
I'm not sure this is right. Diaz is part of the problem with our attack - he always looks busy, but does not produce enough.

I fear him and Gakpo have a similar issue - playing great but not actually adding to our threat. Not looking at one with the team.

It's an eye test which looks great, but then the returns aren't brilliant.

Is that everyone else's fault, is it them, is it the system being incompatible, or a bit of all 3

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4538 on: Yesterday at 09:57:10 am »
If his teammates fluff easy chances then he shouldn't be blamed for not having assists.

Is that happening right now though, or all season? Is there recency bias at play here?

It is hard to remember but there was long stretches of time this year where our attack was purring, but he wasn't assisting.

There's obvious reasons behind it but there was a period between October and mid January where people were very much questioning how good he was, talk that we need a better left sided attacker.

He is great now but let's not pretend this is the player we have had all season, nor that he is a contributing factor this attack both good and bad

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4539 on: Yesterday at 10:00:11 am »
Is that happening right now though, or all season? Is there recency bias at play here?

It is hard to remember but there was long stretches of time this year where our attack was purring, but he wasn't assisting.

There's obvious reasons behind it but there was a period between October and mid January where people were very much questioning how good he was, talk that we need a better left sided attacker.

He is great now but let's not pretend this is the player we have had all season, nor that he is a contributing factor this attack both good and bad
It's not because the person he's feeding tends the miss the easier chances which is the point if iur buildup play.

If you square the ball for your striker and he misses an open goal then it's not your fault but that's with the caveat that the striker scores worldies .

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4540 on: Yesterday at 10:06:32 am »
It's not because the person he's feeding tends the miss the easier chances which is the point if iur buildup play.

If you square the ball for your striker and he misses an open goal then it's not your fault but that's with the caveat that the striker scores worldies .

You can’t make that argument for Diaz cause he doesn’t create chances, Salah looks on the wane and he still created two chances yesterday, Diaz simply hasn’t proven himself capable in that aspect of the game.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4541 on: Yesterday at 10:17:15 am »
You can’t make that argument for Diaz cause he doesn’t create chances, Salah looks on the wane and he still created two chances yesterday, Diaz simply hasn’t proven himself capable in that aspect of the game.
Fair point. His decision making could improve as well.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4542 on: Yesterday at 10:24:06 am »

New contract or sell?

if we're going to be ruthless, no. his energy levels and dribbling are masking over his output not being that of an elite player. a lot of his dribbling seems to be just needlessly horizontal and his passing isn't particularly good or creative enough.

i do think he'll be kept, though.
YNWA.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4543 on: Yesterday at 10:47:44 am »

New contract or sell?

Sell. Especially if we can get a good price. His running with the ball is literally the only thing going for him. Outside of that, he contributes absolutely nothing of worth.

He's also in the prime of his career, he ain't no youngster. He's the complete antithesis of what a Klopp players should be. He's nowhere near the press, link up and general teamwork is atrocious, contributing nothing deeper in midfield meaning we lack control in that area. Our counters are terrible primarily because he's so slow with the ball too. What he lacks is precisely what Mane offered.

All he does is run around aimlessly with no end product, and with his father constantly making eyes at Barca and Madrid without any firm commitment from Diaz, it makes you question whether he would die for the shirt and is merely using us to put himself in the shop window for them.

I can't be backing players like that and they're not worth my support and energy, using their families to sound out other clubs and it kind of sums up the malaise with a lot of these players - they lack the ruthlessness, they're clearly not dedicated to the club and they just don't feel like Liverpool players in the way Mane or Firmino are, who would run through a brick wall for us.

If we get a great offer, we'd be silly not to sell. He's a good player, but on his wages, we can't afford to have him on the bench. Problem is he's not good enough to be a starter, again a question that is being asked of Nunez and Gakpo.

Speaking in the same terms as the two other mentioned, it tells us how our recruitment of forwards in recent years has been an utter shambles. Good players individually but you can't help but feel they are incredibly disjointed and disrupts any cohesion and rhythm in the side. If it was led by our recruitment team who bought them, then that's a major concern. If the signings were led by the coaching team, then they have to take the brunt of this failure. If the latter, then its perhaps a relief that Edwards and co are doubling down on empowering the DoF role further. That department are paid millions to precisely assist in building a cohesive team that aligns with the head coaches tactics, it's folly to take any of those responsibilities away from them given they have all the time and energy to invest in such recruitment (which a manager does not).

I'm perfectly happy for Liverpool to have a 'head coach' who focuses purely on coaching and delegate all responsibility on player targeting and acquisition to the DoF.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:54:21 pm by mattD »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4544 on: Yesterday at 10:55:25 am »

New contract or sell?

Ideally we keep him, because losing good footballers is never a good thing. But there'll be lots of factors at play. His age, his salary demands, and what his potential suitors are prepared to pay to prise him from us.

Diaz deserves tremendous credit for being one of our only players to have improved in the second half of the season. His output has gone up and his performances have massively improved as well. He has shown heart and quality in abundance when it has been lacking in pretty much every other area of the pitch in the past 5-6 weeks.

Yet I still don't see a footballer connecting with other footballers often enough. He's a one-man wrecking ball of a left-side, but he doesn't connect the team in the way that Sadio Mane did for a number of years. Maybe if Diaz had peak Robertson and Gini Wijnaldum within his zone he would have shown more in this regard, but I'm not convinced.

Like Nunez, it all feels a bit boom or bust with Diaz. Too often it's bust because for all of the heart and the skill, the end product is lacking. For that reason, I don't think keeping him or selling him is a particularly massive decision to be honest. He's a very good footballer but a very replaceable one.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4545 on: Yesterday at 11:05:29 am »
I'd keep him and give him a new contract if the price is right on the commitment he's shown the last few weeks alone. He'd had a rough year with the dad stuff, that takes it's toll mentally. There is a very good player in there and i think we'll that next season.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4546 on: Yesterday at 12:10:46 pm »
if we're going to be ruthless, no. his energy levels and dribbling are masking over his output not being that of an elite player. a lot of his dribbling seems to be just needlessly horizontal and his passing isn't particularly good or creative enough.

It isn't just these things - as valuable as they are - that mark Diaz out. It's also mentality. Over the past few weeks we've seen our players shrink. They've lost their courage on the ball and they are no longer prepared to take risks and make provocative moves. The fear of failure is all over this team. This has happened at the back (Konate) and in the middle (Endo, Szobozslai, Jones) and up front (Salah, Nunez). Their lack of courage has gummed us up.

But Luis Diaz stands in stark contrast to all these players. He's been absolutely magnificent. Not everything he's tried has worked. It never will. But he hasn't stopped trying and he hasn't stopped being a real problem for our opponents. But as the last few weeks have slid by he has been almost alone in demanding the ball and trying to do something positive with it (Elliott has been equally good at this, though in a different way).

I slightly panic at the thought we might lose Diaz next season. I already knew he was good before he came to us. I've never been disappointed with the way he's performed for us. I'm now amazed at his spirit and ambition on the pitch. We simply cannot afford to lose that. In a team with courage he'd be deadly.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4547 on: Yesterday at 12:16:53 pm »
It isn't just these things - as valuable as they are - that mark Diaz out. It's also mentality. Over the past few weeks we've seen our players shrink. They've lost their courage on the ball and they are no longer prepared to take risks and make provocative moves. The fear of failure is all over this team. This has happened at the back (Konate) and in the middle (Endo, Szobozslai, Jones) and up front (Salah, Nunez). Their lack of courage has gummed us up.

But Luis Diaz stands in stark contrast to all these players. He's been absolutely magnificent. Not everything he's tried has worked. It never will. But he hasn't stopped trying and he hasn't stopped being a real problem for our opponents. But as the last few weeks have slid by he has been almost alone in demanding the ball and trying to do something positive with it (Elliott has been equally good at this, though in a different way).

I slightly panic at the thought we might lose Diaz next season. I already knew he was good before he came to us. I've never been disappointed with the way he's performed for us. I'm now amazed at his spirit and ambition on the pitch. We simply cannot afford to lose that. In a team with courage he'd be deadly.

Agree with all of this - same reason why Elliott should be in the team as often as his body allows.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #4548 on: Yesterday at 12:47:08 pm »
Double his salary or double the fee we paid for him?

Think its a no brainer personally.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #4549 on: Yesterday at 12:49:24 pm »
There's no doubt he's the best out of the front 3 right now but a goal every 4 league games and an assist every 8 is just too little as an output for a starting wide forward in a team that wants to win the title.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4550 on: Yesterday at 01:02:11 pm »
There's no doubt he's the best out of the front 3 right now but a goal every 4 league games and an assist every 8 is just too little as an output for a starting wide forward in a team that wants to win the title.

His goalscoring has improved this season to before, a goal every 255 minute, previous season 271 and the first 326. But then again his assists have dropped a lot this season, an assist every 828 minut, where the previous that was 451 and the one before 326 minute.
Yeah I don't think he'll ever be a goal and assist every other game here. But he can definitely be a goal/assist every other game if not more here, with forwards with improved finishing next to him. His last season in Portugal he had a goal/assist every 104 minute. The one before goal/assist 144 minute, the one before that every 148th.

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4551 on: Yesterday at 07:17:15 pm »
We will have no players left if some get their way and everybody is sold

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4552 on: Yesterday at 07:33:47 pm »
We will have no players left if some get their way and everybody is sold
Most are still decent squad options at worst.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4553 on: Yesterday at 08:25:00 pm »
Think he was good yesterday and we should use some of his deicision making and build on it, he made better decisions on the ball. A few times he mixed it up and played the ball for the overlapping run instead of going inside, it was refreshing to see. I like Diaz, he’s great, of course there’s room for improvement but he’s a really good forward IMO, that shot off the post was sublime

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4554 on: Yesterday at 08:25:44 pm »
He's the only forward playing with energy but he really does need to improve his final decisions, continual misses chances or scuffs assists.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4555 on: Yesterday at 08:26:38 pm »
Dont blame him for the missed volley, tough chance he put into the right area, well saved