Author Topic: The Physio Room  (Read 1689 times)

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
The Physio Room
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:45:52 am »
I see a few threads on here for various injuries, most of them are really old so thought I would start a general thread for advice as I am really struggling with my ankle at the moment.

Last Tuesday evening I was running (it was a hill sprints session - x3 1k hill sprints on a part-gravely path and some smaller interval training), came home and felt good - no pain or injuries anywhere. Travelled into London for work the next morning and straight away, I felt a soreness in my foot. It felt like just underneath/side of the foot. It was a dull ache really. Came home on Wednesday night and went to football - complained a bit about my ankle beforehand but whilst playing, didn't feel anything. The next morning I wake up and I can't walk very well, can't put pressure on my ankle Thursday/Friday. It seemed fine over the weekend and Monday, was going to run on Tuesday but it got cancelled because of the heat but Wednesday morning again, I get up and travel into London and as soon as I walk to the station, I feel it again. But more severe. As the day goes on, I am hobbling - pain at the side of my foot, maybe a bit underneath but shooting up to my ankle. Ended up buying a foot support yesterday evening on the way home and that felt really good when I put that on and normal trainers. So I did what I probably shouldn't have done and played football last night - as I was playing I didn't feel it much, just when stopping.

So today I have woken up and it's really, really painful. Can't really put all my weight on it.

Any ideas?

I should say that I text my physio yesterday and she is fully booked until next week but I go on hols on Thursday, she has no availability before then. Messaging her she told me to ice it, rest it, inbruprofen etc... until I can see her. I would go to the doctor but I don't think I should... it's not like I fell and twisted it, I can't pinpoint it to one incident.

I am wondering if it is my trainers. The first time I felt it I was wearing really, really thin slip on shoes. And yesterday I was wearing Vans - really hard and flat. I had achilles tendinitis in the same foot nearly 2 years ago, which my physio says isn't helped by the fact I am deaf in my ear on that side - my foot doesn't hit the floor properly (or maybe awkwardly) when I walk. She advised me against wear flip flops and things like that, which have no supoport/sole. But this feels really sudden. The ankle isn't swollen, but it painful to touch in some areas.

Go on holidays on Thursday for a week, so was planning just to put my feet up anyway and relax. Maybe no exercise for a few weeks will help it?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Physio Room
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:58:09 am »

I'd suggest finding a physio before you go away if you can, if it's a tendon issue then it can be better to exercise it regularly (but lightly) rather than totally resting it.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
I'd suggest finding a physio before you go away if you can, if it's a tendon issue then it can be better to exercise it regularly (but lightly) rather than totally resting it.

Thank you - have reached out to another, locally.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 11:34:37 am »
DOMS - anyone got any tips outside of hydration/sleep/light exercise/massage? or just more of those things?

Never had anything like this before but feels better when warmed up so thinking rest might not be the thing but ibuprofen isn't doing anything and I'm like a 90 year old going up and down stairs so any suggestions welcome.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 12:14:13 pm »
DOMS - anyone got any tips outside of hydration/sleep/light exercise/massage? or just more of those things?

Never had anything like this before but feels better when warmed up so thinking rest might not be the thing but ibuprofen isn't doing anything and I'm like a 90 year old going up and down stairs so any suggestions welcome.

Have you tried cherry juice? An increasing number of athletes are using it to reduce muscle soreness.

https://www.revital.co.uk/products/cherry-active-cherry-juice-concentrated-473ml?variant=37186441117854&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEkFqJ5OorMv1lHR9XHr6kyEe_nVlxkFe4o2n6l2biFSxnUxyK71hfxoCxoAQAvD_BwE

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 01:06:18 pm »
Nope, never heard of that before, thanks! Ordered some :)

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 03:57:23 pm »
Active recovery will be your best route so cycling, aqua walking that sort of stuff to get blood flowing and accelerate the healing process.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 10:44:09 am »
Feeling better today after a couple of lower body massages with the massage gun and some stretches. More like a 70 year old on the stairs now ;D

Active recovery will be your best route so cycling, aqua walking that sort of stuff to get blood flowing and accelerate the healing process.

Yeah, think I'll do a ride today and hopefully it'll loosen up a bit more. Too many squats/holds/lunges on tuesday was what's done me in and I did a ride on weds but felt okay when warmed up and think I pushed a bit too far.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 10:02:34 pm »
Any advice on how to rehabilitate a hamstring injury? Been 6 weeks now and it wasn’t so bald in the first place but it’s just not healing.
Believer

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 11:12:13 pm »
Any advice on how to rehabilitate a hamstring injury? Been 6 weeks now and it wasn’t so bald in the first place but it’s just not healing.

I'd imagine that depends entirely on what exactly you've done to it. If you haven't already done so you might want to get a professional diagnosis.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 06:21:40 am »
Assuming you haven't sustained a full tear which requires surgery, as Flapjack said you should probably get a professional opinion after 6 weeks of no noticeable recovery. In the meanwhile what have you been able to do?
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 08:58:18 am »
I'd imagine that depends entirely on what exactly you've done to it. If you haven't already done so you might want to get a professional diagnosis.

It wasn't that serious I thought.  Felt a weird jelly like sensation when doing a circuit at the gym, ibuprofen, ice pack and elevation when I got home and it didn't really hurt that much in the folllowing days.  Sometimes I go a day or so without feeling it and think it's healed and then an ache comes back.

Assuming you haven't sustained a full tear which requires surgery, as Flapjack said you should probably get a professional opinion after 6 weeks of no noticeable recovery. In the meanwhile what have you been able to do?

I've not tried to exercise but have had a couple of weekends where a lot of walking was involved and a couple of long drives (London/Newcastle from the Wirral) which have caused a bit of soreness the next few days. 

I'm not in constant pain but it's just there as a low level ache from time to time, find it difficult to get comfortable on the sofa or in bed when my leg is extended.

Might have to get it checked out then.

Thanks for your responses
Believer