Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2820171 times)

Offline blamski

• Main Stander
  • its weird, isn't it?
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #23360 on: June 27, 2022, 06:31:43 pm »
here's something I don't get. a player wants to get paid more than the current club is prepared to pay. he's prepared to play out the last year of his contract and then leave on a free after that season finishes. the player proclaims all sorts of love and respect for club, coach and team mates, but is still happy that the club gets no return on his value. ok, the player has scored a bazillion goals and has been a major part of the club's recent success, but in pure monetary terms he's a valuable player, and will cost a shit load of money to replace.

what is stopping such a player signing a three year contract (for example), with an extra 25 grand a week as a thank you very much (otherwise known as what i earn in a year), and with the understanding that he can still move on after this season, knowing that the club will get financial return?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23361 on: June 27, 2022, 06:53:02 pm »
He's much more valuable to us playing this year out and then leaving on a free than any reduced fee we might get for him with one season left on his deal. We will already have to integrate in our system another new forward in Nunez, bringing in Mo's replacement already this summer could cause a lot of disruption.
I suppose it depends if the club can swallow the loss of a transfer fee. If we want Bellingham and we have to replace Salah next summer that won't be cheap.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #23362 on: June 27, 2022, 07:11:08 pm »
I suppose it depends if the club can swallow the loss of a transfer fee. If we want Bellingham and we have to replace Salah next summer that won't be cheap.
True, but if you consider that a loan fees for much lesser players can be in the 5m range, is losing 50m on Salah really a driver? I do agree with you though, it's a tough decision and I don't know what I should hope for. But the club comes first.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23363 on: June 27, 2022, 07:21:22 pm »
True, but if you consider that a loan fees for much lesser players can be in the 5m range, is losing 50m on Salah really a driver? I do agree with you though, it's a tough decision and I don't know what I should hope for. But the club comes first.

Its likely going to cost us £40 or £50 million in 2023/24 if he stays, what with the pay rise and signing on bonus, so we won't be losing out anyway will we?. With Nunez having to bed in, then I'd much rather keep Mo on what he is earning now, get the season out of him and then wave bye bye and welcome our new player(s)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #23364 on: June 27, 2022, 07:23:22 pm »
Its likely going to cost us £40 or £50 million in 2023/24 if he stays, what with the pay rise and signing on bonus, so we won't be losing out anyway will we?. With Nunez having to bed in, then I'd much rather keep Mo on what he is earning now, get the season out of him and then wave bye bye and welcome our new player(s)
I tend to agree with you on this. Except if the ability to bring in Bellingham is affected (not knowing anything about the club finances).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:28:14 pm by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23365 on: June 27, 2022, 07:26:15 pm »
here's something I don't get. a player wants to get paid more than the current club is prepared to pay. he's prepared to play out the last year of his contract and then leave on a free after that season finishes. the player proclaims all sorts of love and respect for club, coach and team mates, but is still happy that the club gets no return on his value. ok, the player has scored a bazillion goals and has been a major part of the club's recent success, but in pure monetary terms he's a valuable player, and will cost a shit load of money to replace.

what is stopping such a player signing a three year contract (for example), with an extra 25 grand a week as a thank you very much (otherwise known as what i earn in a year), and with the understanding that he can still move on after this season, knowing that the club will get financial return?

Because the latter could limit a player's options if clubs have to agree a fee with Liverpool.  It also could mean a lower signing fee from their future club.
King Kenny.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23366 on: June 27, 2022, 07:34:45 pm »
I tend to agree with you on this. Except if the ability to bring in Bellingham is affected (not knowing anything about the club finances).

With the way its gone financially under FSG, I'm not worried about the money, as I think we can afford the fee, it's only if he demands ridiculous wages that the deal won't happen. I'm pretty convinced in my own head that we've already sounded him out and we know where he will be in 2023.

Because the latter could limit a player's options if clubs have to agree a fee with Liverpool.  It also could mean a lower signing fee from their future club.

With the money this generation are on, it's not like they need the money, so if they really loved the club etc etc. However, with that deal that Mbappe got, then the agents especially will be wanting their slice of that nice fat signing on fee, so no-one is going to sign a new contract to help the clubs out.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23367 on: June 27, 2022, 07:42:42 pm »
With the way its gone financially under FSG, I'm not worried about the money, as I think we can afford the fee, it's only if he demands ridiculous wages that the deal won't happen. I'm pretty convinced in my own head that we've already sounded him out and we know where he will be in 2023.

With the money this generation are on, it's not like they need the money, so if they really loved the club etc etc. However, with that deal that Mbappe got, then the agents especially will be wanting their slice of that nice fat signing on fee, so no-one is going to sign a new contract to help the clubs out.

There's the agent piece for sure.

However, for the players, while they don't necessarily need the money, it's about choices.  Salah on a free has a chance to move to more clubs than Salah leaving for 50/60/70 million+.  Not saying he'll go there given their financial trouble, but the only way he's going to a club like Barca is on a free.  He'd also seen Alaba getting his move to Real on a free.  Even Sadio left because he only had 1 year left.  No way he's going to Bayern for that fee if he had 3 years left for example.

The money helps, but so do the choices.  If Lewandowski's contract ran out, he might've been a Barca player by now.  But as it stands, Barca has to meet a Bayern valuation.  Lewandowski's won everything with Bayern, but it's not like Bayern were just going to let him go for free.

Ultimately, if you're a big name player and want to get yourself as many options as possible?  Run your contract down to 1 year or free.  If you're a young talented player, negotiate a release clause or run your contract down anyway.
King Kenny.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #23368 on: June 27, 2022, 08:03:15 pm »
We also have to remember that we signed Mo for £36.5 mil which isn’t a lot considering what he has done for us. So getting another year (hopefully he scores loads of goals) and letting him go on a free (if that’s going to happen…..we don’t know) then the club aren’t loosing a great deal financially. Football wise we could be loosing everything but that is how the club seem to want to do business. Bring in young players on lower wages and Juergen makes them superstars.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #23369 on: June 27, 2022, 10:02:54 pm »
We also have to remember that we signed Mo for £36.5 mil which isn’t a lot considering what he has done for us. So getting another year (hopefully he scores loads of goals) and letting him go on a free (if that’s going to happen…..we don’t know) then the club aren’t loosing a great deal financially. Football wise we could be loosing everything but that is how the club seem to want to do business. Bring in young players on lower wages and Juergen makes them superstars.

It makes sense but it’s  the distraction that is very annoying. Any time he had a below par performance and the media would be all over him headed by our very own Michael Owen. Not sure we needed that in a transition year.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #23370 on: June 28, 2022, 07:20:01 am »

It just cements legend status even further for those at the very top that do sign extensions, when they could run down their contract and earn the GDP of a small nation from an oil club , but instead choose to stay.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23371 on: June 28, 2022, 07:55:04 am »

So on this basis there will be no midfield improvement again next season. Even if we assume Klopp is happy to use one of the younger players as a replacement for Bobby, should he not sign a lower new contract. There is no way the club go for a Bellingham level midfielder and get a high quality replacement for Salah

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #23372 on: June 28, 2022, 09:15:06 am »
There is no way the club go for a Bellingham level midfielder and get a high quality replacement for Salah
Not sure how you can say there's no way? In the space of 6 months we have spent over £130m on 2 forwards.

If Mo gets us to another CL final, and we make the right sales, we could easily buy 2 big players next season. Alternatively it could be one big purchase and another smaller from the leftfield. Of course, Mo's replacement may already be at the club and will be ready come 2023.

Have a bit more faith that they are thinking about the long term, and are working on stuff in the background.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23373 on: June 28, 2022, 11:09:53 am »
We got his best years and this is his last dance at the top.

There is nothing more to win at club level other than the shekels.

Good luck Mo

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #23374 on: June 28, 2022, 11:32:00 am »
Made my peace with Salah leaving a while ago.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #23375 on: June 28, 2022, 02:42:18 pm »

Nothing really... its usually done with an agreed release clause..... we did it with Suarez.. Nkunku's just done it etc

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #23376 on: June 28, 2022, 02:57:29 pm »
what if salah continues as he has since coming back from the African nations what if he carrys on not scoring then his contract situation will play big on his mind and he will fall apart due to pressure ..maybe ..

im of the opinion mo is as good as he is because hes at liverpool i dont believe he will score anywhere as near elsewhere ...
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23377 on: June 28, 2022, 02:58:10 pm »

Same.
Closed that book almost a year ago.
We got plenty from Mo, as long as he doesn't go to a rivel - all good.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #23378 on: June 28, 2022, 02:59:29 pm »
Same.
Closed that book almost a year ago.
We got plenty from Mo, as long as he doesn't go to a rivel - all good.

Going to a rivel would be frivalous...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23379 on: June 28, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »

Not sure you will have if he ends up at City ;)

If he goes through with his intention to stay in England he ends up at City, United or Chelsea

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #23380 on: June 28, 2022, 03:13:46 pm »
Players come, players go. I enjoy them while they are here and generally feel warmly to them no matter how they leave.
Football is their job, and it is the club's job to get value for money. If the club and player can't agree then that's just how it goes.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #23381 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:24 pm »
Any idea who his long term replacement will be.

Chiesa possibly  :-\

Who else have we've been linked with in that position?

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23382 on: June 28, 2022, 03:55:21 pm »

Not sure you will have if he ends up at City ;)

If he goes through with his intention to stay in England he ends up at City, United or Chelsea
threw up in my mouth

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23383 on: June 28, 2022, 04:20:26 pm »
Going to a rivel would be frivalous...

It is what it is.
World keep rivelving.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #23384 on: June 28, 2022, 05:33:07 pm »
Been reading this complex thread for months but I have some really simple thoughts.

Put your top on, sign up or fuck off.

That’s about it really.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23385 on: June 28, 2022, 06:26:50 pm »

Because players leaving on a free get highly lucrative deals as the buying club is saving on a transfer fee. They also get a comparatively large signing bonus.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23386 on: June 28, 2022, 10:43:47 pm »
No problem if he's going on a free. Done well here

But I'd bench him. Time to let those committed play and bring him on as an afterthought if we need him

I woulldn't let him start a single game. His choice
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #23387 on: June 28, 2022, 10:45:08 pm »

But I'd bench him. Time to let those committed play and bring him on as an afterthought if we need him

;D

Should do the opposite, play him in every single second of every single game, unless his form falls off a cliff.

Get yer moneys worth!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23388 on: June 28, 2022, 10:50:24 pm »
;D

Should do the opposite, play him in every single second of every single game, unless his form falls off a cliff.

Get yer moneys worth!

This also seems a good plan mate :)

But

We need to replace him. If we can get the replacements scoring then that benefiits us and them

We can use him to bail us out if needed

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #23389 on: June 28, 2022, 10:53:11 pm »
This also seems a good plan mate :)

But

We need to replace him. If we can get the replacements scoring then that benefiits us and them

We can use him to bail us out if needed

they probably have in mind the plan going forward without him season after.

Way I look at it, we make the most of his time here (form permitting of course).

It’s not like it’s going to be a shock that he leaves, there is a lot of planning time. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23390 on: June 28, 2022, 10:56:36 pm »
they probably have in mind the plan going forward without him season after.

Way I look at it, we make the most of his time here (form permitting of course).

It’s not like it’s going to be a shock that he leaves, there is a lot of planning time. 

Yeah see what you're saying

I got a lot of grief when Gerrard was nearly off to Chelsea and then retired

Our players are great and have done amazing, but the club is what I support

Compared to LFC, Gerrard and Salah are just useful servants

The club is what matters. As I said before. The king is dead. Long live the king

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #23391 on: June 28, 2022, 11:12:49 pm »
Yeah see what you're saying

I got a lot of grief when Gerrard was nearly off to Chelsea and then retired

Our players are great and have done amazing, but the club is what I support

Compared to LFC, Gerrard and Salah are just useful servants

The club is what matters. As I said before. The king is dead. Long live the king

He’s one of the clubs 3 best players and he’s under contract for next year so god knows what you’re on about
This sentiment applies when he leaves not while he’s still turning out as a key player for the club

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23392 on: June 28, 2022, 11:45:24 pm »
He’s one of the clubs 3 best players and he’s under contract for next year so god knows what you’re on about
This sentiment applies when he leaves not while he’s still turning out as a key player for the club

The future of the club is what matters

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23393 on: June 28, 2022, 11:47:53 pm »
The future takes root in the present.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23394 on: June 28, 2022, 11:54:36 pm »
The future takes root in the present.

It does absolutely

So if we can get our new signings up and running, playing well and scoring then job done

If they struggle then we can let the past step in and see if they can give us a hand

If any player wants to leave then that's absolutely fine. But they are no longer part of our family. Especially if they are holding us to ransom.

If we need to use Salah then fine, ok. We can do that. If we don't then great because our future is assured. We need to look forward. Not backward.

If we are dependant on Salah as he fucks off then we are truly fucked.

Online terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #23395 on: June 29, 2022, 12:10:32 am »
I wonder if Mo will still be on penalties given that Nunez is 11/11 for his career and Fabinho is great at them too.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #23396 on: June 29, 2022, 12:18:40 am »

I don’t see Mo lacking commitment on the field, think he’ll give 100% until he leaves (however that eventually unfolds). I don’t even think he’s not committed to the club, they just aren’t able to agree terms for a future contract, but the kind of person he is means we’ll get 100% every time he steps on the pitch.

There’s nothing to gain by not playing him and everything to lose.

If at some stage it looks like he’s giving less than 100% on the pitch and in training then there’s a decision to made, but until then…
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:20:24 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23397 on: June 29, 2022, 12:32:42 am »
I don’t see Mo lacking commitment on the field, think he’ll give 100% until he leaves (however that eventually unfolds). I don’t even think he’s not committed to the club, they just aren’t able to agree terms for a future contract, but the kind of person he is means we’ll get 100% every time he steps on the pitch.

There’s nothing to gain by not playing him and everything to lose.

If at some stage it looks like he’s giving less than 100% on the pitch and in training then there’s a decision to made, but until then…

I want the future at the club.

Players committed to and playing for the club is our future.

Salah getting game time over them improving is absolutely something to lose.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #23398 on: June 29, 2022, 12:45:27 am »
I believe ideally Mo stays for another season, if FSG can afford to lose him on a free. Losing both Mane and MO in one window is far from ideal. Expecting Nunez and to a lesser extent Diaz to do similar numbers with another new face to bed in isn't even close to realistic. Unfortunately FSG arent a moneyless pit, they run the club within its means, so losing Mo on a free may not be something they're prepared to do. One way of looking at it is, they were both always going to retire, we have to replace them one day and ignoring 60m for him isn't ideal. Either way FSG and the side can't 'win' in this situation, breaking the wage structure isn't even an option in my opinion. Its either we attempt to go again with Mo hoping we win the league against a side that flouts FFP or we move on and likely fight for a top 4 finish, bedding in new talent. Not an ideal situation. Chiesa being mentioned as a replacement, he has a bigger reputation than Salah did before he turned up. We will see I guess.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #23399 on: June 29, 2022, 12:48:21 am »
I want the future at the club.

Players committed to and playing for the club is our future.

Salah getting game time over them improving is absolutely something to lose.
Strange way to look at it for me. Would you have benched Rush for the entire 86/87 season as we knew he was off to Juventus? If those players are good enough then they’ll play, if they still need developing then bringing them along gradually and in the right way is both to our benefit and theirs.

In the past perhaps often when Gerrard was around we weren’t in the hunt for League titles etc and the case you make might have made more sense. Right now we have one of the best squads in the world with some of the best players in the world, it makes no sense not using them if it weakens us and means we’ve less chances of winning something here and now when we’re in position to.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:55:17 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp