Author Topic: Latest craze from Queen Mary University of London  (Read 6893 times)

Offline willfc

• Kopite
    • Anfield 96 blog
Latest craze from Queen Mary University of London
« on: January 9, 2017, 02:55:22 pm »
A recent tweet has gone up after QMUOL have decided to ban The S*n on campus about how they're wanting to 'free the press'.

Tweet is here: https://twitter.com/EmilyRDinsmore/status/818456410161876993

"I told my players during the break: Since we're here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football." - Jurgen Klopp

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Latest craze from Queen Mary University of London
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2017, 03:00:04 pm »
There is an argument to be made here. Are universities the place to ban newspapers or books? They should be a place of discussion and yes freedom of speech even it is abhorrent on every level. What the paper stands for and those with similar view should be challenged openly, it is vital universities take part in this.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:17 pm »
There is an argument to be made here. Are universities the place to ban newspapers or books? They should be a place of discussion and yes freedom of speech even it is abhorrent on every level. What the paper stands for and those with similar view should be challenged openly, it is vital universities take part in this.

The Sun is neither a newspaper or a book, freedom of the press was developed as a concept for another world where journalists had some purpose.

The Sun is a comic masquerading as a newspaper with the ability to be used as a political vehicle when it suits (ie elections), it exists to trample on the freedom of others.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »
Is this the same uni whose student union voted to ban the express and or mail last year?  Or a different one?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »

So how do you challenge it then? Do you get a private meeting with Murdoch.

I guess freedom of speech is the right to discriminate as well.