Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1382137 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #10280 on: October 4, 2022, 07:51:54 pm »
I've seen this posted on RAWK before but I don't remember people saying Cole was weak defensively.  If anything he had a reputation for constantly pocketing flying wingers.  Ronaldo specifically.

Yeah he wasn’t at all, his defending was what he was praised for more than anything.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #10281 on: October 4, 2022, 08:09:42 pm »
Boom as Jurgen might say
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10282 on: October 4, 2022, 08:10:22 pm »
Gary Neville showed him how to do that.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10283 on: October 4, 2022, 08:12:22 pm »
Can’t defend for shit this lad
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #10284 on: October 4, 2022, 08:14:31 pm »

Funny

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10285 on: October 4, 2022, 09:58:16 pm »
Why was Trent booked

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10286 on: October 4, 2022, 09:59:03 pm »
Why was Trent booked

Shirt pulling when rangers were breaking forward

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10287 on: October 4, 2022, 09:59:32 pm »
A good game from Trent today and a gorgeous goal.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10288 on: October 4, 2022, 09:59:42 pm »
He even explained it to Klopp when he came off.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10289 on: October 4, 2022, 10:05:30 pm »
Good free kick, but can he play in a back 5?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10290 on: October 4, 2022, 10:08:24 pm »
I've seen this posted on RAWK before but I don't remember people saying Cole was weak defensively.  If anything he had a reputation for constantly pocketing flying wingers.  Ronaldo specifically.

Yeah. Including Euro 2004 when he was still at Arsenal. Was he still there in 2006 too, I lose track? Either way, I agree with you that he was defensively solid pretty much throughout his career unless in his first season or two he had a bit of a reputation for being flaky that I’ve forgotten about.

Anyway, we’ll played Trent, and what a free kick.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10291 on: October 4, 2022, 10:13:37 pm »
Brilliant performance.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10292 on: October 4, 2022, 10:26:12 pm »
Seemed like we didn’t ask him to play every position on the pitch today and unsurprisingly he looked the world beater we all know he is.

Online RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10293 on: October 4, 2022, 10:28:50 pm »
I was glad to see him not pop up in all different positions and just stuck to what he’s magnificent at. Excellent performance.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #10294 on: October 4, 2022, 10:37:22 pm »
MOTM

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #10295 on: October 4, 2022, 10:40:05 pm »
These gobshites on BT Sport throwing Trent a pity party while itching to say something nasty about his "defensive frailties" are really funny tonight. One thing they haven't mentioned is how it's mainly people like them that have spearheaded the media campaign against Alexander-Arnold since he was nineteen years old. Plain as day it's professional jealousy. They wish they were as talented as Trent and winning Champions Leagues at 19.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10296 on: October 4, 2022, 11:46:12 pm »
We will see how it goes at the weekend, but after that performance from Trent tonight, it feels to me like at least one of the things Klopp meant when talking about going "back to basics" and "offering protection" to our defenders was based on how we used Trent. He just played at right-back, didn't he? And the goal would have settled him down, but even without that, he just looked considerably more comfortable and dangerous.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10297 on: October 4, 2022, 11:56:48 pm »

nah.  crap goal - his studs came off the ground ffs.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10298 on: October 5, 2022, 12:00:03 am »
I was glad to see him not pop up in all different positions and just stuck to what he’s magnificent at. Excellent performance.
Seemed like we didn’t ask him to play every position on the pitch today and unsurprisingly he looked the world beater we all know he is.

yep and yep.  he, and we. looked a lot more controlled and comfortable. although maybe it's just a one-off given the less-than-stellar oppo.  interesting to see what we do on Sunday.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10299 on: October 5, 2022, 12:01:33 am »
any of the stat-heads know what mileage Trent put in tonight vs Saturday?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10300 on: October 5, 2022, 12:32:47 am »
any of the stat-heads know what mileage Trent put in tonight vs Saturday?

it's kilometers. come on Sam.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10301 on: October 5, 2022, 12:37:02 am »
it's kilometers. come on Sam.
miles, kilometres, yards, millimeters ..... whatever.

no nautical miles, though.  never understood them.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10302 on: October 5, 2022, 07:39:28 am »
We will see how it goes at the weekend, but after that performance from Trent tonight, it feels to me like at least one of the things Klopp meant when talking about going "back to basics" and "offering protection" to our defenders was based on how we used Trent. He just played at right-back, didn't he? And the goal would have settled him down, but even without that, he just looked considerably more comfortable and dangerous.

great to see him playing the way he did last night, focused on his responsibilities at right back, and offering forwards key passes for scoring chances.  Another  possible change is also seeing Salah coming back on a few occasions to help defend the space in front of TAA

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10303 on: October 5, 2022, 08:50:08 am »

This. We were overcomplicating things just for the sake of it when how he played before simply worked. It's no surprise that he put in the performance that he did. Go on Trent!!

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10304 on: October 5, 2022, 09:25:23 am »
Rangers did get in down TAA’s side in exactly the way Tifo was describing the other day.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #10305 on: October 5, 2022, 10:28:11 am »
That free kick was a nice 'fuck you' to his critics and its great to see that beaming smile.

A few more solid defensive performances and the media narrative will ebb away, and goons like Neville, Ferdinand and the Talkshite muppets will move onto their next clickbait.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Adams83

• Main Stander
« Reply #10306 on: October 5, 2022, 11:53:47 am »
That free kick was a nice 'fuck you' to his critics and its great to see that beaming smile.

A few more solid defensive performances and the media narrative will ebb away, and goons like Neville, Ferdinand and the Talkshite muppets will move onto their next clickbait.

No one was questioning his quality on the ball so the free kick isn't really a fuck you to anyone.

People like Neville have talked about his defending for years. A few good performances won't change that. He'll need to be more solid defensively over a long period of time.

Trent is a great player and I wouldn't swap him for any other right back, but he has to improve his defending. He doesn't do the basics of defending well enough. This has always been the case and isn't a new thing.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 11:55:43 am by Adams83 »

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #10307 on: October 5, 2022, 12:05:32 pm »
No one was questioning his quality on the ball so the free kick isn't really a fuck you to anyone.

People like Neville have talked about his defending for years. A few good performances won't change that. He'll need to be more solid defensively over a long period of time.

Trent is a great player and I wouldn't swap him for any other right back, but he has to improve his defending. He doesn't do the basics of defending well enough. This has always been the case and isn't a new thing.

That’s not a great take, he’s historically great at defending.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #10308 on: October 5, 2022, 12:12:17 pm »
Think this was a good analysis of our problems and the changes last night. https://youtu.be/oXbsVVpe3F4 It highlight where TAA is being caught out and let down by the system at the moment. Actually his defending is generally good but the system has been found out by other teams as described in the video. Still needs to work on his awareness and the team need to work together better.
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #10309 on: October 5, 2022, 12:22:31 pm »
That’s not a great take, he’s historically great at defending.
Yes he is, the problem is that as he's evolved into such an incredible passer, our system has put more demands on him which either leaves him exposed or out of position. When all our players are on form and in peak fitness this is less of an issue as we can cover him but recently it's been badly exposed.

It's interesting we looked to 'reset' his position last night and take some of the complexity out of it.

« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 12:30:49 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10310 on: October 5, 2022, 12:28:53 pm »
Played very well last night albeit not really tested defensively. Martinelli and Zinchenko down that side on Sunday will represent a much harder assignment as we know.

Positionally played we a proper full back though which is encouraging.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10311 on: October 5, 2022, 12:48:39 pm »

I do think certain aspects of his defending are the areas where most improvement is needed, but I wouldn't say he's not been doing it well enough for a prolonged period of time. I've always thought he was quite a solid defender. The Rashford goal at Old Trafford in 2018 put an idea in a lot of people's minds, but I would find it difficult to think of another major mistake he has made until the last couple of months. I still maintain that this situation is as much as anything down to how the manager and the manager's coaching staff have been wanting to use him.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10312 on: October 5, 2022, 12:52:13 pm »
Who even cares if he's 'only' a decent defender? If he can improve there, great. If it starts taking away from his attacking game then don't bother. I've watched football long enough that I know a generational player when I see one, and I've never seen anyone influence games from full back the way he does (and thats in a lifetime that has included Maldini, Cafu, Roberto-Carlos, Dani Alves and Wan-Bissaka at their peak).

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #10313 on: October 5, 2022, 12:55:55 pm »
Listened to his post-match interview and he answered the questions well. He takes a lot of stick from social media but I think he is wise enough to realise that those who are objective and have played the game at a high level know that TAA is an exceptional footballer.

Unfortunately in the modern world, there are loads of pricks who get their chance to vent their bile about players who they don't like simply because the players are good and play for another club. They dominate social media with their noise and anyone who is remotely famous should not personally read any of the comments.

I'm not sure if it was Andy Townsend who I was listening to yesterday commentating but he was full of praise for TAA.
#JFT97

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #10314 on: October 5, 2022, 01:02:57 pm »
Who even cares if he's 'only' a decent defender? If he can improve there, great. If it starts taking away from his attacking game then don't bother. I've watched football long enough that I know a generational player when I see one, and I've never seen anyone influence games from full back the way he does (and thats in a lifetime that has included Maldini, Cafu, Roberto-Carlos, Dani Alves and Wan-Bissaka at their peak).

Wan-Bissaka…

Very nice.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10315 on: October 5, 2022, 04:39:43 pm »
Amazing what happens when he's asked to play mainly right back and not right back, right midfielder, center midfielder and center forward in a 90 minute span. Defended better and was still a creative force.

Let's stick with this plan, shall we Jurgen?   ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10316 on: October 7, 2022, 12:33:35 am »
Happy 24th birthday to Trent.  :)

237 appearances
⚽️ 15 goals
🅰️ 61 assists
🏆 Champions League 2019
🏆 Super Cup 2019
🏆 Club World Cup 2019
🏆 Premier League 2019/20
🏆 League Cup 2022
🏆 FA Cup 2022
🏆 Community Shield 2022

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #10317 on: October 7, 2022, 08:28:25 am »
Happy 24th birthday to Trent.  :)

Add to that....

Individual

Liverpool Young Player of the Season Award: 2016–17, 2017–18
PFA Team of the Year: 2018–19 Premier League, 2019–20 Premier League, 2021–22 Premier League
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2019–20 Premier League
UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2018–19
UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2021–22
FIFA FIFPro World11: 2020
Premier League Player of the Month: December 2019, November 2021
IFFHS Men's World Team: 2019, 2020
UEFA Team of the Year: 2019
Premier League Young Player of the Season: 2019–20
ESM Team of the Year: 2019–20, 2021–22

Not bad for someone who can't and has never been able to defend!!!
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #10318 on: October 7, 2022, 11:25:01 am »
Happy birthday Trento!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10319 on: October 7, 2022, 08:56:43 pm »
Fuckin’ell he’ll be 30 in six years… getting old that lad.

Happy birthday, TAA!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."