Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1381956 times)

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #10480 on: October 10, 2022, 03:33:03 pm »
Hendo doesn't stand him up though. Martinelli picks the ball up in his own half and is allowed to carry the ball into our box at full speed.

Hendo doesn't slow him down, doesn't make a challenge and then allows Martinelli to come inside without a challenge. It is horrific defending almost Skrtelesque.

Trent makes a poor decision but isn't the one who fails to do the basics.

He does

I’m Watching it right now. I’ve explained more above
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10481 on: October 10, 2022, 03:34:37 pm »
Would Trent benefit from a run with Konate next to him rather than Matip - subject to his injury of course.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10482 on: October 10, 2022, 03:52:01 pm »
He does

This. He’s containing Martinelli enough and actually taking him AWAY from goal before Trent comes over :lmao

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10483 on: October 10, 2022, 03:53:16 pm »
Would Trent benefit from a run with Konate next to him rather than Matip - subject to his injury of course.

Probably, Matip has looked a bit off lately, struggling to sort his feet out when dealing with clearances and not quite able to challenge players physically as well as he's been able to in the past. I think he might simply be getting caught in two minds more often due to the midfield not offering protection and the defense getting overwhelmed.

Konate could end up having the same issues, but he's quicker and stronger so may be able to rely on his physical traits a bit more to help out.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10484 on: October 10, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »
He does

He doesn't slow him down and he certainly doesn't show him wide. Martinelli is closer to the touchline when he picks the ball up than when he enters the box.

Hendo has to engage Martinelli earlier and take him out. We had two opportunities to kill that move but Thiago and Hendo were too slow to take either opportunity. City would have snuffed that move out.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10485 on: October 10, 2022, 03:55:27 pm »
It's all on Trent, that second goal.  Had the roles been reversed and Henderson sold himself like Trent did, he'd be getting all sorts.

Yeah, 2nd goal is primarily Trents fault (can argue that the team should have helped) not sure what's to debate here. If Moreno did that, he would be getting pelters

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10486 on: October 10, 2022, 04:00:17 pm »
He doesn't slow him down and he certainly doesn't show him wide. Martinelli is closer to the touchline when he picks the ball up than when he enters the box.

Hendo has to engage Martinelli earlier and take him out. We had two opportunities to kill that move but Thiago and Hendo were too slow to take either opportunity. City would have snuffed that move out.

Man go and watch the goal again. Martinelli is accelerating away from goal by the time Trent begins to come over.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10487 on: October 10, 2022, 04:06:55 pm »
Man go and watch the goal again. Martinelli is accelerating away from goal by the time Trent begins to come over.

100% this. When watching it in real time I thought we'd have it covered but trent went full 'I'm going on an adventure' and just wandered over to nowhere. Made martinelli's mind up for him
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10488 on: October 10, 2022, 04:12:05 pm »
100% this. When watching it in real time I thought we'd have it covered but trent went full 'I'm going on an adventure' and just wandered over to nowhere. Made martinelli's mind up for him

Even if in Al’s world, GM floors it & goes round Hendo and crosses it low with his left foot, if Trent maintains his original path he is there to clear the ball. It was a much easier path to goal because of Trent vacating the space.

Don’t know what some people are fucking arguing about

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #10489 on: October 10, 2022, 04:22:34 pm »

He does slow him down though or he’s just sprinting at goal. Hendo does ok, he can’t dive in there and try and take him out. He’s the final man, one false move and martinelli is clean in
On goal or he’s off

As I said in my longer post a few things go tits up. Hendo not trying clatter him isn’t one of them
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10490 on: October 10, 2022, 04:27:52 pm »

Martinelli has already picked the ball up out wide and ran directly towards goal for fifty yards before that still. He has made an out to in run and consciously wants to take Hendo on his outside because that is where the space is. It is exactly what Mo used to do so brilliantly.

Hendo should be showing Martinelli down the line when he picks the ball up. Instead he just backtracks and backtracks and allows Martinelli to do what he wants instead of forcing Martinelli to beat him where he can make a man and ball challenge.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10491 on: October 10, 2022, 04:35:20 pm »
Martinelli has already picked the ball up out wide and ran directly towards goal for fifty yards before that still. He has made an out to in run and consciously wants to take Hendo on his outside because that is where the space is. It is exactly what Mo used to do so brilliantly.

Hendo should be showing Martinelli down the line when he picks the ball up. Instead he just backtracks and backtracks and allows Martinelli to do what he wants instead of forcing Martinelli to beat him where he can make a man and ball challenge.

In all you said your key point is in bold. If Martinelli’s thought process is on attacking where the space is, Trent makes the guys mind up by vacating his. Otherwise he doesn’t play the ball when he does. Fair enough Hendo could’ve brought him down but Trent’s move is the fatal one here.

Anyway I’m tired of arguing driving me nuts now

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10492 on: October 10, 2022, 04:37:24 pm »

Fucking hell :lmao

All so you can say 'Henderson shouldnt be playing, FSG neglected the midfield'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10493 on: October 10, 2022, 04:39:12 pm »
It's not like there isn't plenty of other material to go at this season or yesterday to show Henderson absolutely stinking the place out, notwithstanding the absolutely surreal decision to play him at right wing for a while yesterday. But that was one of the few things that on balance he got about right.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10494 on: October 10, 2022, 04:57:13 pm »
I'm not Henderson's biggest fan and watching that goal back I still thought he did really, really well given how rapid Martinelli is. And certainly well enough to make Trent's decision to come over look spectacularly stupid.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10495 on: October 10, 2022, 05:03:00 pm »
Fucking hell :lmao

All so you can say 'Henderson shouldnt be playing, FSG neglected the midfield'.

So on the stroke of half time you are fine with your cm backtracking 60 or 70 yards not even attempting to make a challenge and then allowing Martinelli to cut inside unopposed.

Trent makes a poor decision but even if he doesn't come across then it is still 4v2 instead of what it ended up 4v1 the moment Hendo allows Martinelli to cut inside.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10496 on: October 10, 2022, 05:09:01 pm »
So on the stroke of half time you are fine with your cm backtracking 60 or 70 yards not even attempting to make a challenge and then allowing Martinelli to cut inside unopposed.

Trent makes a poor decision but even if he doesn't come across then it is still 4v2 instead of what it ended up 4v1 the moment Hendo allows Martinelli to cut inside.

Al I consider myself one of the few on here who tends to agree with you more than I disagree but not on this occasion I'm afraid mate. Henderson should maybe take the card on martinelli in hindsgiht, along with about 50 other things we could have done better till he finds himself in our box, but at the time trent runs over martinelli is heading away from goal because henderson is showing him on his left. When he cuts in, yes, he does Hendo in one sense, but the reason he cuts in is there's fucking acres of space on the other side because trent has completely vacated his position. I can't see any reason for Trent to effectively mirror what henderson is doing. As soon as he does, Martinelli does them both and the rest is history.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10497 on: October 10, 2022, 05:22:54 pm »
He does slow him down though or he’s just sprinting at goal. Hendo does ok, he can’t dive in there and try and take him out. He’s the final man, one false move and martinelli is clean in
On goal or he’s off

As I said in my longer post a few things go tits up. Hendo not trying clatter him isn’t one of them

He isn't the last man Trent was covering. The problem for me is Hendo not showing Martinelli down the line in the first place. Force him wide initially and then slide in and take man and ball. Hendo of two or three years ago was brilliant in those situations.

He gets squared up initially which allows Martinelli to drive straight towards goal.

At no stage does Hendo get tight his defending is completely passive. He needs to gradually close the space so he can force the issue.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10498 on: October 10, 2022, 05:28:03 pm »
Al I consider myself one of the few on here who tends to agree with you more than I disagree but not on this occasion I'm afraid mate. Henderson should maybe take the card on martinelli in hindsgiht, along with about 50 other things we could have done better till he finds himself in our box, but at the time trent runs over martinelli is heading away from goal because henderson is showing him on his left. When he cuts in, yes, he does Hendo in one sense, but the reason he cuts in is there's fucking acres of space on the other side because trent has completely vacated his position. I can't see any reason for Trent to effectively mirror what henderson is doing. As soon as he does, Martinelli does them both and the rest is history.

I agree it is a poor decision by Trent.

However Hendo has to try and force the issue way earlier and either win the ball or take a yellow. Hendo was too passive Trent was way too aggressive.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10499 on: October 10, 2022, 05:35:10 pm »
This what happens when the midfield isn't functioning. Defenders become under constant pressure and have to deal with many situations and even if they deal with these situations very well but misjudge one or two people will say they can't defend anymore. Same with attackers they get outnumbered with no support and people will say they are past it.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10500 on: October 10, 2022, 05:39:38 pm »
There’s no need for Trent to come across as Martinelli’s being shown away from goal, but I will say that it’s extra easy to criticise him because everyone’s piling on Trent anyway.

Hendo can probably anticipate the cut back if he sees Trent come across - I doubt he does. Anyone saying he could force GM wide earlier on in the move has lost it given the amount of space there was, if Hendo dives in earlier he gets skipped past for fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:42:31 pm by bornandbRED »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10501 on: October 10, 2022, 05:41:41 pm »
We should try him as a Left Winger.

Online LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #10502 on: October 10, 2022, 05:45:53 pm »
Get Cafu to come work with Trent.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #10503 on: October 10, 2022, 05:47:30 pm »
You have to wonder if we even bother having Trent practice defending and if so when was the last time that happened. As it shouldn't take much more than 10-15 minutes of video review to just go over what the basic requirement is. Yet in watching back the goals today you can as usual say there was a breakdown across the entire team or now in the case of the first goal Saka was off-sides but Trent's effort and decision making are just outrageously bad. Really just at a comical level and if it were just a one off yesterday then fine, move on to the next game but this has been the pattern of the whole season.

I almost hope that if he has a long layoff due to the ankle that it comes out that he also had been carrying some type of other injury but didn't want to miss the World Cup. At least that would be a reasonable explanation. Otherwise you really have to question what is going on with the player that should be the cornerstone of the next great LFC team. His ability to the move the ball up the field is still best in the league type stuff but his actual goal and shot assist numbers are way, way down and then his defensive effort is pathetic. You can't live with that long term.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #10504 on: October 10, 2022, 05:50:19 pm »
Is he dead?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10505 on: October 10, 2022, 05:54:42 pm »
There’s no need for Trent to come across as Martinelli’s being shown away from goal, but I will say that it’s extra easy to criticise him because everyone’s piling on Trent anyway.

Hendo can probably anticipate the cut back if he sees Trent come across - I doubt he does. Anyone saying he could force GM wide earlier on in the move has lost it given the amount of space there was, if Hendo dives in earlier he gets skipped past for fun.

I’ve given him a lot of grace and most criticism against him has been more regurgitated criticism than fact to an extent but that 2nd goal was as glaring an example of his lack of defensive awareness as you will ever see if you want to criticise him. It was absolutely second rate defending getting drawn to the ball like that. Like amateur level decision making. 

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #10506 on: October 10, 2022, 05:58:26 pm »
Put him right hand side of a 3 man midfield or as a wing back for a back 5.

Takes the heat off him and still allows him to do his thing. 

He obviously doesn’t want to be a defender - you can see it in his body language.

He is suffering now because Mo isn’t doing jack meaning that opposition full backs are starting to push on.

To note, I appreciate the change in role to a midfielder is of huge magnitude, but I think he could do it.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10507 on: October 10, 2022, 06:15:27 pm »
Might be a blessing in disguise if he is injured and misses a spell of games and the world cup. It will give a breather and some time out of the spotlight

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10508 on: October 10, 2022, 06:45:23 pm »

How many times have you seen Milner of yesteryear show much quicker players down the line and then just cynically wipe them out. That was what was required just before half time.

For Trent it was probably just frustration after the first goal when Hendos failure to make a meaningful challenge left him 3v1. Trent probably thought if he isn't going to make a challenge then I am.

It was a terrible decision by Trent but it didn't surprise me because our defenders are continually being forced into decisions that have poor typical outcomes.

Our first choice midfield now consists of three centre mids who are terrible against the counter attack. Trent has been poor but is being scapegoated for me.

He went off at half time and we got mauled. There was zero pressure on the ball and Arsenal just picked us off. They still targeted the RHS and were forced to sacrifice Mo and Jota to try and wrestle some control in midfield.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:47:11 pm by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10509 on: October 10, 2022, 06:52:09 pm »

It was a terrible decision by Trent but it didn't surprise me because our defenders are continually being forced into decisions that have poor typical outcomes.

Our first choice midfield now consists of three centre mids who are terrible against the counter attack. Trent has been poor but is being scapegoated for me.

That's fair enough. The decision stunk, and was poor, but I guess what you're saying it came from experience of him being fucked over by poor cover so often. Which is fair.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10510 on: October 10, 2022, 07:01:18 pm »

yep. sums it up.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #10511 on: October 10, 2022, 07:07:00 pm »
Why did he decide to bulk up? Since that bulking up, he seems slower and isn’t as agile as he used to

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10512 on: October 10, 2022, 07:10:40 pm »
The catastrophising in here is ridiculous. Trent has been the very best right-back in the world for the best part of four years but is currently in a bad run of form. I don't think there is anything more to it. I certainly don't think the solution is to start playing him in a completely different position that he has shown no evidence of being effective in.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10513 on: October 10, 2022, 07:11:33 pm »

Undoubtedly true.

Defending in football is a collective responsibility and they all have to do much much better. A lot of the players are guilty of being too passive, not communicating well, and making poor decisions. Trent is only one cog in that machine, but I see poor defending all over the pitch. In some ways being in the final layer of defence, it's always the last guy that takes the fall.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10514 on: October 10, 2022, 07:13:53 pm »
How many times have you seen Milner of yesteryear show much quicker players down the line and then just cynically wipe them out. That was what was required just before half time.

For Trent it was probably just frustration after the first goal when Hendos failure to make a meaningful challenge left him 3v1. Trent probably thought if he isn't going to make a challenge then I am.

He went off at half time and we got mauled. There was zero pressure on the ball and Arsenal just picked us off. They still targeted the RHS and were forced to sacrifice Mo and Jota to try and wrestle some control in midfield.

Spot on Al re: scapegoat
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10515 on: October 10, 2022, 07:27:52 pm »
Liverpool are hoping the issue is not overly serious, but Alexander-Arnold will miss Wednesday’s Champions League game with Rangers and appears a major doubt for Sunday’s Premier League showdown with Manchester City. [Paul Joyce]

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10516 on: October 10, 2022, 07:33:34 pm »
Time for Joe Gomez to stand up and shore up that right side a lot more.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #10517 on: October 10, 2022, 07:33:47 pm »
Probably does him a favour to miss City. Whoever plays right back will get hammered (as Milner did there last season in that game) and Trent would just get slaughtered and blamed for every chance City get. A thankless task.

Need to just stay as compact as possible in that game and limit the damage.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10518 on: October 10, 2022, 07:48:32 pm »
Probably does him a favour to miss City. Whoever plays right back will get hammered (as Milner did there last season in that game) and Trent would just get slaughtered and blamed for every chance City get. A thankless task.

Need to just stay as compact as possible in that game and limit the damage.

Be Gomez won’t it? Be quite a big ask to throw Ramsay in there against City like.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10519 on: October 10, 2022, 07:56:34 pm »
Be Gomez won’t it? Be quite a big ask to throw Ramsay in there against City like.

Gomez at least has some recovery pace (though I believe the reports and videos show Ramsey to be quite fast too). But yeah - don't start Rasmey against City. It might destroy his career.